PDA

View Full Version : What do you call Pepsi?

Boba Rhett
05-13-2003, 02:07 AM
Help! My whole world is crumbling around me! Here is was, thinking that most people called carbonated drinks such as Pespi, "Pop". In a conversation with Eets and Sherack tonight I was informed that only rednecks call them by that name. Is this true?!! :eek: I've heard it all my life everywhere I've gone in the midwest and it's the only term I've ever used for it. Is it really just a redneck term? What do you guys and gals call them? Soda? Phiz water? WHAT!? :confused:

*curls up into fetal position*

ET Warrior
05-13-2003, 02:16 AM
BAH! that's a Coast thing.....calling Pepsi and such Soda instead of pop..........Us NORMAL Mid-West Americans call it Pop, because it is pop, and always WILL be pop.

SkinWalker
05-13-2003, 02:54 AM
The little town I lived in when I was in high school had some quirkey colloquialisms. One of them was "coke."

If you were going to get ANYthing to drink from the store, drink machine, etc., it was a coke. Even if you bought a Dr. Pepper.

For instance: "Man, it's hot... let's get a coke."

Or, "You going to the store? Pick me up a coke, will ya?" "Sure, what kind?" "Dr. Pepper... if they don't have that... Sprite. But if they don't have that, then get me a Coke." (note the capitalization)

It was strange, but you got used to it. If you said "Pop" you were a Yankee. :p

BTW, that small town was in North Texas oilfield country....

Wacky_Baccy
05-13-2003, 02:59 AM
Posted by Boba Rhett
Help! My whole world is crumbling around me! Here is was, thinking that most people called carbonated drinks such as Pespi, "Pop". In a conversation with Eets and Sherack tonight I was informed that only rednecks call them by that name. Is this true?!! :eek: I've heard it all my life everywhere I've gone in the midwest and it's the only term I've ever used for it. Is it really just a redneck term? What do you guys and gals call them? Soda? Phiz water? WHAT!? :confused:I just....call.. it.... Pepsi o.O

Erm, "soft drinks" is how most people in the UK refer to things like Pepsi, Coke, etc. (and lemonade) - but a fair few call it "pop" too... I loathe the word personally. :D

Almost none of us call it 'soda', though... And I almost dislike that word as much as 'pop' - but not quite :D

teutonicknight
05-13-2003, 03:07 AM
Pop? Who says that?

http://jammerbabe.com/images/Smiley/poke2.gif

Must be an southern thing...

Death_Jedi
05-13-2003, 03:12 AM
pop never heard ppl call it that prob cas i live in New Zealand
i call it coke

Darth Groovy
05-13-2003, 03:15 AM
I always call it pop, just like everyone else that lives in Chicago/Joliet does.

It is a midwest thing, trust me. Farther south you go, it becomes soda, then sodie, then soda water. It's a very strange thing. But the farther south you go, you start learning a whole seperate language.

munik
05-13-2003, 03:18 AM
I lived in Virginia/West Virginia when I was younger, and everyone called it pop there. Now I live in New York and everyone calls it soda. It's a regional thing, you just adjust.

Ratmjedi
05-13-2003, 04:53 AM
I will either call it by it's brand or I will say soda. Pop? You people need to stay with the ages :p [Garth voice] Live in the now!!!! [/Garth voice]

I will always call it soda and will to the day I die :)

:lsduel: :duel:

Kstar__2
05-13-2003, 06:15 AM
here in the netherlands we call it cola, or "something fresh":D

Lynk Former
05-13-2003, 06:55 AM
Where's Wraithy with his Wraithy Cola pic when you need him...

GonkH8er
05-13-2003, 07:00 AM
Carbonated caffeinated beverages :)

nah, everyone here calls them all soft drinks... Coke, pepsi, sprite, etc

But you'll be lucky to find anywhere that has terribly much pepsi here.... which is good.

ShockV1.89
05-13-2003, 08:53 AM
I just call it soda. A canadian guy I knew called it pop, but that may have just been him.

BCanr2d2
05-13-2003, 09:30 AM
I call Pepsi Disgusting - don't really like it to drink, always opt for the Mountain Dew at KFC....

C'jais
05-13-2003, 10:19 AM
In Denmark: Sodavand, or just vand.

When speaking the englisch, I call it soda. Pop sounds... wrong...

Wacky, if I said to you that I wanted a pepsi, could I say "Fetch me a "soft drink", instead? It sounds so very odd to me.

GonkH8er
05-13-2003, 10:47 AM
It's not said as "Soft Drink

It's like you slur the 2 words together and say it fast

like "Soffdrink"

Skate Boy
05-13-2003, 11:27 AM
Ohio calls it Pop. Florida calls it Soda. Michigan Calls it Soda. I know all this for a fact. I think it's weird that different states call it different things. But here in Ohio we say it the right way.:D

GonkH8er
05-13-2003, 11:29 AM
Pfffffffffft..... what's Ohio ever managed to do right? What has Ohio done for US? :)

Skate Boy
05-13-2003, 11:37 AM
Uh...without Ohio, you wouldn't have airplanes. This is where the Wright brothers were born. So there.:D

Breton
05-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Up here, we simply call it "brus", wich directly translated becomes "fizz". So, from now on, I think we should call all soft drinks "fizz". :)

Tyrion
05-13-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
It's a very strange thing. But the farther south you go, you start learning a whole seperate language.

Considering if you go south enough you head into Mexico..you DO learn a new language:p.

I just call it by it's name. Or soda.

Pad
05-13-2003, 11:56 AM
:eyeraise:
you americans are weird. why dont you just call it "pepsi"?

Chewbacco
05-13-2003, 12:37 PM
Well pepsi has two syllables and it takes longer to say it than other words that we made up.
I call it coke because it is a habit.:) If a person corrects me that they have pepsi, no biggie, I'll say pepsi. But coke, always comes into my mind first.

greedo626
05-13-2003, 12:44 PM
here in Pennsyllvania, normal people call it soda. or if they want a pepsi they call it "pepsi." pop is the word the used in the 50s. it's not normal to use the word anymore when refering to soda... unless you're 75, then people will know what you're talking about. if you walk into a store today and ask where the "pop" is, no one will know what you're talking about... unless you're 75... ;)

swphreak
05-13-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Skate Boy
Florida calls it Soda.

Hey, I'm a Wangian and I sure as heck don't call it soda. It's either called a softdrink or the actual softdrink by name.

Mex
05-13-2003, 01:44 PM
I call it Pepsi damnit!

swphreak
05-13-2003, 01:49 PM
but how can you call all softdrinks in general, "pepsi?" There is actually a Pepsi drink... the same thing with coke...

ET Warrior
05-13-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by greedo626
here in Pennsyllvania, normal people call it soda. or if they want a pepsi they call it "pepsi." pop is the word the used in the 50s. it's not normal to use the word anymore when refering to soda... unless you're 75, then people will know what you're talking about. if you walk into a store today and ask where the "pop" is, no one will know what you're talking about... unless you're 75... ;)

Maybe in PENNSYLLVANIA they won't know what you're talking about, but here in COLORADO we're apparently more intelligent. You can walk into a store and ask for "pop", "soda", "soda-pop", "pepsi", "coke", or ANY other term used for such beverages and they'll point you in the right direction. Though MOST people say pop

This is of course if you're being general, "can I grab a pop from the fridge?"

If you actually want a pepsi, you say pepsi.....

greedo626
05-13-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Maybe in PENNSYLLVANIA they won't know what you're talking about, but here in COLORADO we're apparently more intelligent. You can walk into a store and ask for "pop", "soda", "soda-pop", "pepsi", "coke", or ANY other term used for such beverages and they'll point you in the right direction. Though MOST people say pop

This is of course if you're being general, "can I grab a pop from the fridge?"

If you actually want a pepsi, you say pepsi.....

well, in south east PA, we're just this side of redneck (we share a border with Virginia and West Virginia:p ). I don't want to be coming down on the people here, but most of them don't even speak english. It's either Spanish or Redneck:evanpiel: :p
I'm sure some people around here call it "pop," but most people call it "soda" (in English), "soda" (in Spanish), and "some o' dat fizzy stuffs" (in Redneck)

Agen
05-13-2003, 02:45 PM
What do you call Pepsi?
Crap :D
Coke a C forever :D
on the otherhand i call it Pepsi, call it pop or soda here and you'll be laughed out the window. :p :D

-=ReApEr=-
05-13-2003, 02:54 PM
I hate all coke!!!!!! I only drink Dr.Pepper. :D

Boba Rhett
05-13-2003, 03:20 PM
STTCT found a great site dealing with this very issue!

www.popvssoda.com

•-BLaCKouT-•
05-13-2003, 03:40 PM
Here in the U.K., some people call it pop, but they tend to be of the older generation :p I get the impression it could be a Northern England thing too, as I live 'dahn saaf' now and people just laugh when I say it. Although I only say it mucking about. They do know what I mean anyway.

When I was little* me and my mates all used to call it pop, but that went as far as 'cordials' too. Just any soft drinks really. As we got older we started calling it by particular brand names, but I don't know if kids in Newcastle still call it pop or not. I do hope so though.

*I'm only 30 now. (only! :p )

Anyway, LONG LIVE POP!

EDIT: On a related note, any of you Brits (or non-brits for that matter) familiar with stand-up Peter Kay's 'why do mums buy crap pop?' routine? Class! :p

B.

Wacky_Baccy
05-13-2003, 05:04 PM
Must have been before my time :p :D

Although I can imagine how it might have gone... :D
Posted by C'jais
In Denmark: Sodavand, or just vand.

When speaking the englisch, I call it soda. Pop sounds... wrong...

Wacky, if I said to you that I wanted a pepsi, could I say "Fetch me a "soft drink", instead? It sounds so very odd to me. Well, we don't usually refer to individual carbonated drinks as anything other than their names, unless we say "coke" and mean Pepsi/Dr Pepper/Coke/Cherry Coke etc., sort of like SkinWalker... "Soft drink" is just a classifying term for most [but not necessarily all] non-alcoholic beverages.... I suppose I need to be clearer next time :D

We generally don't feel the need to use the terms "soda" or "pop" - we're happy calling things by their rightful names, and avoiding confusion :p

And that concludes today's English lesson, class. :p :D

C'jais
05-13-2003, 05:09 PM
Oh, and computer games refer to them as "soda" (Halflife did anyway, I think).

And I still have no damn clue what this Doctor drink is, or what cherry and vanilla coke tastes like.

Me, I'm usually a Sprite or Fanta Exotic kinda guy.

PrimoSidone
05-13-2003, 05:10 PM
Here we call it 'cola' :)

Matt-Liell
05-13-2003, 05:40 PM
Here up north in Canada we call whatever the drink is by its name. Sure we say Pop but thats just a kind of drink, we ask for a Pepsi by saying "Hey can I have a Pepsi please? Thanks man!"

Dath Maximus
05-13-2003, 06:15 PM
here in kansas we call it ted

why ted? because we can!!

Jed
05-13-2003, 06:20 PM
Us in the Northeast here (Massachusetts) call it soda.

But if I'm getting a Pepsi, I say "I'll have Pepsi."

:D

Thrackan Solo
05-13-2003, 07:00 PM
I live in North CArolina and we cal it...*drum roll*

Whatever the hell we want to call it!:D

ZBomber
05-13-2003, 09:28 PM
Word to Jedi220. :p

Father Torque
05-13-2003, 09:40 PM
Well I have a conclusion to the problem why dont we call it Soda Pop i mean its logical. Or we can be ol school and call it sasperilla:D

ET Warrior
05-13-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Thrackan Solo
I live in North CArolina and we cal it...*drum roll*

Whatever the hell we want to call it!:D

And........just what the hell DO you want to call it?

Acrylic
05-13-2003, 10:43 PM
Up where I am, We call it pop. I always call it pop. But, if I'm talking with some of the hicks at school I say soda to make them feel comfterable. :p

ckcsaber
05-13-2003, 11:45 PM
Bringer of Life

obi
05-13-2003, 11:54 PM
Being a citizen of Georgia my entire life, I feel I am the only one on these forums that has the right to make the decision for what the southerners call Pepsi.

Get this - we call it Pepsi.

SURPRISE SURPRISE, ANDY!

http://www.jimnolt.com/Graphics/wallys_McCoy%20barn.JPG

Darth Groovy
05-14-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by ckcsaber
Bringer of Life

You know, if you cut one of my veins open right now, Pepsi would squirt out. It would! Diet Pepsi namely. I have drank diet Pepsi most of my life. Regular Pepsi gives me a stomach ache, but Pepsi-One is the BOMB, but not always featured in all vending machines, and restaurants.

XWING5
05-14-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by SkinWalker
If you were going to get ANYthing to drink from the store, drink machine, etc., it was a coke. Even if you bought a Dr. Pepper.

Or, "You going to the store? Pick me up a coke, will ya?" "Sure, what kind?" "Dr. Pepper... if they don't have that... Sprite. But if they don't have that, then get me a Coke." (note the capitalization)

It was strange, but you got used to it. If you said "Pop" you were a Yankee. :p

BTW, that small town was in North Texas oilfield country....

Maybe that's a Texas thing. I am also originally from there and we called everything a coke too. ALL carbonated beverages are coke, just different varieties. Me, I hate cokes in general, though Root Beer is pretty good.

Pedantic
05-14-2003, 09:09 PM
Here in the Great Northwest, we call it pop. :D

Kurgan
05-15-2003, 10:56 PM
In Iowa (or IowaAAAAY as some people like to call it), we call it "pop."

Cream soda is still cream soda, and sometimes you see "soda water" (the unflavored stuff) but that's pretty much it.

I hear in Georgia they call it "coke" (even if its pepsi). Like "pepsi coke, mountain dew coke" or just "coke."*

In Kentucky they call linoleum (sic) a "rug."

In Toronto they call it a "bathroom" (which is what we call it at home, but in public we call them "restrooms") and they call the US (which we call "America") "the States."

Local slang can be fun. ; )

* after reading the comments above, I'll have you know this is from a relative who lived briefly in Atlanta, so it may not be the same everywhere.

HertogJan
05-16-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by kstar__2
here in the netherlands we call it cola, or "something fresh":D

Right... Cola is the dutch word for Coke I think... In France, when you order a 'cola' of some sort (whether it's pepsi or whatever), you say 'coca'.

So I guess the Europeans call it coke, but in their own language :)

Oh and 'pop' sounds ridiculous. I keep getting vision of parents saying to their children 'you want some pop then?'... It sounds like.... childish, can't help it!

Oh and 'soft drinks' are just non-alcoholic beverages, with or without bubbles, I think... And with that I don't mean milk or something :)

Lunatic Jedi
05-16-2003, 06:40 AM
I call colas... just... cola... or something...

Actually, I call them "crapola" because I just don't like cola.

Every other carbonated soft drink, I call soda. SODA IS GOOD!!! WHOO!!!!

Cola sucks, soda rocks... EEEP!!! :eek:

Jorus Ardel
05-16-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
You know, if you cut one of my veins open right now, Pepsi would squirt out. It would! Diet Pepsi namely. I have drank diet Pepsi most of my life. Regular Pepsi gives me a stomach ache, but Pepsi-One is the BOMB, but not always featured in all vending machines, and restaurants.

I agree. Diet Pepsi always seems to taste better and stay crisper longer.

What's the matter with you people!? Who really cares what it's called, but me personally, living in Colorado, call it pop.

Thrackan Solo
05-16-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
And........just what the hell DO you want to call it?

I call it by whatever I am getting like if I am getting a Coke I say,"I would like a Coke." If I want a Dr. Pepper, I would say, "I desire a Dr.Pepper."

Thrackan Solo
05-16-2003, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by obi-wan13
[B]Being a citizen of Georgia my entire life, I feel I am the only one on these forums that has the right to make the decision for what the southerners call Pepsi.[B][QUOTE/]

Hey I was born in Georgia, a little place called Newnan. Now I live in NC thats still the south. So your not the only southerner.

Sam Fisher
05-16-2003, 08:19 PM
I just call it a Coke....:D

El Sitherino
05-16-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by teutonicknight
Pop? Who says that?

http://jammerbabe.com/images/Smiley/poke2.gif

Must be an southern thing... i live in texas and we never say pop. we call em soft drinks or soda

TheJackal
05-16-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Matt-Liell
Here up north in Canada we call whatever the drink is by its name. Sure we say Pop but thats just a kind of drink, we ask for a Pepsi by saying "Hey can I have a Pepsi please? Thanks man!"

what he said. but we also say: ZED and not ZEE.

ZED is the correct pronunciation.

Its the same with certain words and thier correct spelling.

COLOUR

IT HAS A "U" PEOPLE!!!!

(there are more words but since I'm looking for them I wont remember them until later on)

Oh well, at least the Brits understand us Canucks.

XERXES
05-17-2003, 02:55 AM
Ihavent read what anybody else has said...but I call it coke :D