PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Another Link (Legend of Zelda)

Antizac
05-14-2003, 01:59 PM
http://www.geocities.com/psychodelic_dak/link_wip.txt

Well, I'm impatient, as some of you should have figured out by now. So, I'm making my own Link.

Although he completely sucks, compaired to Matt Liell's - this will just have to be a temporary solution until he finishes his. All this really is, is a reshape of the JediTrainer (I don't claim to be a good modeller - infact, I'm not.) but I will be adding a belt and shield and (maybe) sword.

I'm just about done with the weights - just the added accessories, mentioned above, and he should be all done...

Comments?

Rebel_Spy
05-14-2003, 02:52 PM
Its looking very good!, Can you post some screenshots of the head?

RaSiN_HeCk
05-14-2003, 07:33 PM
very nice, I think his eyes are a little bit huge, and his tights on his legs are a bit baggy

if you're going for the more real life look rather than anime like, ignore the rest of this post:

I think his ears need to be longer and he needs more poof in his hair, know what I mean? and maybe more muscles

Antizac
05-14-2003, 08:13 PM
I was going for a crossover of Realism and Anime - so, I didn't want to make his hair and ears too big. (And it looked wierd when I did do it.)

Besides, I wanted to see if I could get the mouth and eyes working, rather than making a solid face. So, I can't distort his face too much, or it won't work...

gt r?
05-14-2003, 08:40 PM
Exelent!!!Looks like Matt as some competition!

Ne0|eD3N

RaSiN_HeCk
05-15-2003, 12:29 AM
cross over? if you think about it, that'd be kinda strange. But I suppose it'll look great

Antizac
05-15-2003, 01:26 AM
Well, that's my excuse, anyway. ;)
I wanted to see if I could get his face to use the animation bones - so I am a bit limited with the face and stuff...
Besides, from all the artwork I've seen, Link really doesn't have a definite look to his face.

...If it doesn't workout in the end, I'll re-shape it to a "full-anime look". But either way, if I get around to it, I'll make the ears a bit bigger - and maybe the hair.

Anyway, as requested, here's a couple close-up shots...
http://www.geocities.com/psychodelic_dak/Pictures/link_wip2.txt

http://www.geocities.com/psychodelic_dak/Pictures/link_wip3.txt

-=DarkZero=-
05-15-2003, 07:18 PM
So when exactly is this going to be released?
IT'S FREAKING AMAZING MAN!
Good work, I can't believe I didn't think about tweaking up the jedi trainer ;-;

Antizac
05-16-2003, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Tupac.
So when exactly is this going to be released?
IT'S FREAKING AMAZING MAN!
Good work, I can't believe I didn't think about tweaking up the jedi trainer ;-;

Well, At the rate I'm going - I should have this done by the end of the month for sure...

I like to import JO models, and build off of them, because I'm horrible at modeling humanoids, and I also don't have to do any UVMapping - Which I still don't know how to do correctly.

Ok, update time:

I finished the Master Sword and the Hylian Shield - within 1 day...

Check it out:

http://www.geocities.com/psychodelic_dak/Pictures/link_ss_showcase2.txt
http://www.geocities.com/psychodelic_dak/Pictures/link_ss_showcase1.txt

As of right now I'm attaching the shield to the Link model...

Comments?

Antizac
05-16-2003, 05:42 AM
Ok, I got the shield mounted on his back, and I even fixed his ears! I think, now everyone can agree, that this is MUCH better, and looks alot more like Link...
http://www.geocities.com/psychodelic_dak/Pictures/link_wip4.txt

Crowy
05-16-2003, 07:18 AM
the eyes need to be... vertically longer, looks real good...

the hylian sheild and themaster sword look great....
i havent touched the ocarina of time for like 4 years now

-=DarkZero=-
05-16-2003, 03:21 PM
Holy jeebus!
Thats amazing man!
I can't skin worth crap,thats my problem ;-;
I attempted a link last night the same way you did but when I tried skinnin it came out crap in MODview lol

DanTheTrooper
05-17-2003, 12:42 AM
this is looking great... i have been waiting for a Link model for ages... i think you got down the look of link... even know he changes soo much throughout all the diff games... i like the orcania link the most though... like you chose... i hope to see this soon and i think its great what you are doing...one thing i dont think u should put the master sword on the skin due to a master sword hilt being out their look kinda funny to have the sword in the sheith while also in ur hands... just a suggestion... later

RaSiN_HeCk
05-17-2003, 01:35 AM
nice job on the sheild and sword, there any sheild mods out?

I recall the master sword's handle being more purplish, but nice jump modeling it!

http://www.afn.org/~afn05232/mastersword.jpg

Antizac
05-17-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by RaSiN_HeCk
nice job on the sheild and sword, there any sheild mods out?

No, but I do believe that it's possible by tweaking the MP source, you can have some sort of shield blocking. But I could make a seperate model with the shield attached to his arm...

Originally posted by DanTheTrooper
...one thing i dont think u should put the master sword on the skin due to a master sword hilt being out their look kinda funny to have the sword in the sheith while also in ur hands... just a suggestion... later

Yeah, I decided that before I even made the Master Sword.
It would look too wierd on the model, when he moves anyway - So, I'm just going to release it as a seperate mod along with Link...

bleek
05-18-2003, 12:29 PM
Well, I havent been on the forums in about 4 months or so :p . All my projects are basically dead.

Anyway, The Link looks awesome! I uninstalled my JK2 but with kewl models like these comin out...i might have to put it back on!

And I've been wondering, who is that in your avatar? It looks like some sort of skin or model...and looks kewl.

-=DarkZero=-
05-18-2003, 04:14 PM
Yo Ant, Just a question, could you make a model of link without the hat on as well, and the shield not connected, that would be bad ass.

__CKY__
05-18-2003, 05:48 PM
Looking very good. :D I like the sword and shield hehe

Antizac
05-18-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Tupac.
Yo Ant, Just a question, could you make a model of link without the hat on as well, and the shield not connected, that would be bad ass.

I sure could try...
...I could just make extra hair and make it as removeable mesh on the same model...
For Example:

SurfOff head_hat, torso_shield
surfOn head_xtra_hair_off

Would give you a Link with No hat, and no shield, and he'd have extra hair where the hat was...

Originally posted by bleek
...Anyway, The Link looks awesome! I uninstalled my JK2 but with kewl models like these comin out...i might have to put it back on!

And I've been wondering, who is that in your avatar? It looks like some sort of skin or model...and looks kewl.

That's good to hear. =)

As for my avatar - that's my head on a model that I'm working on, for, what is supposed to be my primary JO project.

I should have some in-game shots of Link in a day or two...

-=DarkZero=-
05-19-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Antizac
I sure could try...
...I could just make extra hair and make it as removeable mesh on the same model...
For Example:

SurfOff head_hat, torso_shield
surfOn head_xtra_hair_off

Would give you a Link with No hat, and no shield, and he'd have extra hair where the hat was...

That's good to hear. =)

As for my avatar - that's my head on a model that I'm working on, for, what is supposed to be my primary JO project.

I should have some in-game shots of Link in a day or two...
Thanks alot man! This is going to be sweeeet.

Antizac
05-19-2003, 06:10 AM
Ok, here's a few compiled screenshots, showing Link in game, reskinned, and with the Red & Blue CTF skins...

http://www.geocities.com/psychodelic_dak/link_showcase1_sm.txt (http://www.geocities.com/psychodelic_dak/link_showcase1.txt)

^ Click for a larger image...^

So, far he works perfectly, just a few minor glitches - like his arm goes right through his shield at times, and I haven't finished his hand bones (his fingers are solid). But aside from that, he works... And I'm also, happy to say that I was able to get the facial animations to work on him. So, just those last few things, the sword strap that goes across his chest, and re-modeling the boots to look more Kokirish. (and If I can, the feature Tupac mentioned.)

Comments?

Eldritch
05-19-2003, 10:45 AM
Looks good! I think the shape of the eyes is fine, but the pupils (black part) need to be larger. Right now they're like super tiny-sized... unless he's looking directly at a ultra-bright light all the time, they shouldn't be that small.

Should be a simple enough fix. Keep up the nice work!

-=DarkZero=-
05-19-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Eldritch
Looks good! I think the shape of the eyes is fine, but the pupils (black part) need to be larger. Right now they're like super tiny-sized... unless he's looking directly at a ultra-bright light all the time, they shouldn't be that small.

Should be a simple enough fix. Keep up the nice work!
Lol, Another thing, the first picture of him standing in the red ctf skin, kind of looks like a nerd >.>
and i think the thing causing it is the shields too small, but SHIZ! IT'S AMAZING:eek:
Perhaps you could make a small beta for someone say...i don't know......(tupac) well gtg :P

DanTheTrooper
05-19-2003, 01:17 PM
sweet dude sweet..... wow maybe if u want.... make a white version of him.... (Super Smash Bro Style) i know that may be a lot of work just a suggestion man he is looking kick @$$... wow i really want to try that skin out.... i wonder what you have going for taunts though.... maybe if u could find clips from the old TV show way back when or something... well keep up the good work:atat:

Antizac
05-19-2003, 04:07 PM
Well, I'm going to need someone to rip sounds from the game somehow, because Don't have any way of doing it...

I suppose I could chage the pitch on the jedi trainer's voice until he sounded like Link, but that would be stupid.

Can anyone find sounds or get me sounds of Link?

RaSiN_HeCk
05-19-2003, 09:13 PM
his eyes are freakishly big or his eye lids are just REALLY wide open, looks like he's either seeing Gannondorf for the first time or he's addicted to crack.

this might just be the screen shots, and I don't know if you can fix this with out ruining the facial expesions. His head's kind of small compared to the rest of his body

but oooh that sword = D

-=DarkZero=-
05-19-2003, 09:25 PM
Hey, I've been looking for the taunts, and the best I could get we're songs, just music.. i could recored from a rom but I have to find my cd first,so what you think?
oh and I have a request for you I'll save it for after though ^_^

Psynex
05-20-2003, 02:04 PM
Ripping sounds?! That's easy! But would I have to cross the lines of 2 video game companies? Yes. What am I talking about? I have Soul Calibur 2 (GC version starring Link). It has a bio-like mode for every character where you can check out each and every sound effect for their voices! It would be a perfect rip! But I run the risk of being attacked. Plus I don't have an input cable for my sound card. Would a SB Live! even be a good card to rip with?

DanTheTrooper
05-20-2003, 08:05 PM
hey Antizac skin is looking great... i hope to see it soon... i was wondering if u could send a copy by my way when ur done it... it looks amazing and wow i have been looking forward to this for awhile now... if ya want to send it to me my e-mail is trooperwithoutacause@hotmail.com thanx man and keep up the good work!

Psyk0Sith
05-20-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Psynex
Would a SB Live! even be a good card to rip with?

Of course, audigy or a higher end card is better, but since you get the sound right from the GC SB live works just as well.

Oh and good job Antizac!

Antizac
05-21-2003, 04:25 AM
http://www.geocities.com/psychodelic_dak/link_sm.txt

Won't be long now, just a few more things...

...my life is kinda catching up with me at the moment, but like I said it's probably not going to be finished until the end of this month. So, try to hold on until then.

[EDIT:]
...Would a SB Live! even be a good card to rip with?

It would if you can find a patch cable to run between your soundcard and your GameCube...

...I don't have a GameCube - does Link in "Soul Calibur" sound the same as he does in "Ocarina of Time"?
Bah, either way I think I'll do it myself, by patching the N64 sound cable through my computer (Old game, fewer licenceing problems.).

I have the ROM also, but I have no idea how I would extract sounds from it...

Psynex
05-21-2003, 10:43 AM
Link in Soul Calibur sounds freaking awesome! Much like the adult link in Ocarina yes, but with many more sound bites. No spoken language still either, which is good (true to the character). There are a multitude of good sounds. Ya know, I'll capture them for you anyway this weekend; it shouldn't take that long. Do you have a list of sounds? I've never put together a sound pack before so I'm not sure how to label them.

How'd you get Link to walk like that? I could use that info to give Lion-O more character.

kerocool
05-21-2003, 04:07 PM
IMO i think the head is a little to small the rest is great :) cant wait for it

Hellfire Jedi
05-21-2003, 07:56 PM
Once this model is released, I will re-install JK2.

squall_dm
05-21-2003, 09:08 PM
Sorry, I didn't feel like doing all the editing myself, but here's a link to a MP3 of Young Link making a bunch of noise. Convert to .wav, do your cut/paste, and reencode it.

http://ryo.vgmidi.com/jk2/link.mp3

Antizac
05-22-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by squall_dm
Sorry, I didn't feel like doing all the editing myself, but here's a link to a MP3 of Young Link making a bunch of noise. Convert to .wav, do your cut/paste, and reencode it.

http://ryo.vgmidi.com/jk2/link.mp3

Well, thanks, but since it's young Link, it won't sound right - I could try to change the pitch and see what I come up with, but there's background music. If you would have waited until night (on the game) there would be no music, and it would be more useable. Thanks for the time and effort, though. If you do
re-record it, like I mentioned, I would be interested, because I'm thinking about making a young Link also...

Link in Soul Calibur sounds freaking awesome! Much like the adult link in Ocarina yes, but with many more sound bites. No spoken language still either, which is good (true to the character). There are a multitude of good sounds. Ya know, I'll capture them for you anyway this weekend; it shouldn't take that long. Do you have a list of sounds? I've never put together a sound pack before so I'm not sure how to label them.

I would love that! Especially anything that sounds like it's from "Ocarina of Time". And don't worry about labeling them, I'll just do it, and I'll pick out the best sounds and give you credit.

How'd you get Link to walk like that? I could use that info to give Lion-O more character.

I just opened him up in Mod View and copied each frame of animation. As, for doing it in-game, I don't know...

squall_dm
05-22-2003, 03:46 AM
Yeah, that's why I picked the tree. Lemme see if I can get that far.

Psynex
05-22-2003, 10:47 AM
I have to agree with kerocool, that the head looks kind of small...although, the neck looks a little long so maybe a tweak in that area could clear things up. If you lengthen the face a bit (drop the chin down) it will give these kind of results: A longer face, resulting in: a more pointed chin, higher cheek bone appearance, and a skinner face (less pudgeyness) giving him more of that Kokirian/elven facial structure. I realize you were crossbreeding anime and realism, but I was thinking to myself that the nintendo licensed model of link kind of already is that crossbreed. Just some things to think about.

On another note, I got my RCA-Stereo converter cable back from a friend I lent it too so I'll get on those sound bites for you. One note...don't give me TOO much credit; I don't want the big N chasing me down for theft. A simple thanks for the work in the readme will do. ;P

Psynex
05-23-2003, 10:59 AM
Boy, this was a task! My cube hit the fritz so I thought I'd need the weekend to get these for you. My cube wasn't loading any discs at all. I found out a small piece of plastic snapped off (a trigger switch) preventing the cube from recognizing that the lid was closed. Stupid safety specs! I'm going to hardwire that so it will play with the lid open or closed...heh heh heh. If you need more sounds let me know. After my fix last night, I didn't have a lot of time to capture these; I had to wait for the right moment in the background music to hit record so you'd have almost no noise and just sound. There are some more jump, attack, injure, and relief sounds. I didn't record a relief one, though I still can for the bacta canister use sound.

ENJOY! :) (http://psynex-land.com/link sounds.zip)

Antizac
05-23-2003, 03:36 PM
That fuggin' Rocks! Thanks a million! I'll combine them with the ones I recorded...

Once again, thanks! =)

-=DarkZero=-
05-24-2003, 02:39 AM
You also have my thanks! I can't wait for this thing to be released :D
Good work everyone, you deserve pats on your backs >>

Antizac
05-26-2003, 07:43 AM
Yes, a Big thanks to everyone for their help and support. I really appreciate it...

Ok, I have all the sounds I need, put together. I added a few more detail thingys to Link today, and I animated his right hand.

Pics:
http://www.geocities.com/psychodelic_dak/Pictures/link_wip4.txt
http://www.geocities.com/psychodelic_dak/Pictures/link_wip5.txt

After that, all I need is to animate the left hand and add on the extra hair, Tupac mentioned. Then, all I have after that, is writing up the readme and submitting it.

Whaddaya think?

Hellfire Jedi
05-26-2003, 09:46 AM
Gimme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
1t5 d4 1337n355 0f L1nk.
[]D [] []\/[] []D!!!!
I said, []D [] []\/[] []D!
That SO = []D [] []\/[] []D

RaSiN_HeCk
05-26-2003, 04:27 PM
I don't know how seriously close you want this to be, but here I go:

his hair's in too many bunches, Link kind of has dog ears coming out fromunder his hat, and his white tunic needs to be the shape of his arm, this might just be because his arm's all ploy-ated but it looks like he's wearing a sweater.

and I belive this is just lighting, but he has some pointy cheek bones.

DanTheTrooper
05-26-2003, 07:01 PM
dude i think this is great.... like seriously how close can u actually get.... really... give or take... i think this is like kick ass.... man can u send me a finished copy.... i really am looking forward to this... to me you are a modeling god... much congratulations.... finally link has come!

RaSiN_HeCk
05-26-2003, 09:53 PM
I was just pointing out... the little details... so this model... would kick more ass... then it already does...

what can be done can be done better;)

Wudan
05-27-2003, 12:11 PM
I think he looks pretty cool. It looks off, though. His head / neck / torso don't seem to be in the right proportions.

Antizac
05-28-2003, 05:47 AM
Well, if someone wants to do a more accurate Link model, they're more than welcome, to do so. I never said I was going to be accurate with this thing - infact I wanted him to seem slightly more real than he was in Ocarina Of Time - Like Nintendo showcased just before they switched "Wind Waker" over to Cel-shading.
I also wanted to add the facial animations, because some MP mods out there are starting to use them - and modifying the face and head too much, would result in some wierd deformations.

So, anyway, I'm done with the model - I'm going to do a few more skin tweaks, then he should be all set for release...

Here's some fresh in-game screenshots showing off the facial expressions in SP...
http://www.geocities.com/psychodelic_dak/Pictures/link_full1.txt
http://www.geocities.com/psychodelic_dak/Pictures/link_full2.txt
http://www.geocities.com/psychodelic_dak/Pictures/link_full3.txt

Link, without his hat and shield.
http://www.geocities.com/psychodelic_dak/Pictures/link_hair1.txt
http://www.geocities.com/psychodelic_dak/Pictures/link_hair2.txt

Comments?

Hellfire Jedi
05-28-2003, 08:18 AM
[]D [] []\/[] []D

Zavior
05-28-2003, 05:40 PM
very good except his face, it just looks weird!

[JKZ]_Yun
05-28-2003, 05:42 PM
WOW nice mAN :)

:yoda4 yuN

Antizac
05-28-2003, 07:54 PM
Check this out:

This is what I put at the bottom of the Readme:
==============================================
Link, The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time, and related media are
1986-2003 Nintendo.

Soul Calibur, and Soul Calibur 2 are
1995 1998 2002 2003 Namco Limited
==============================================

By reading this document, at anytime, you have just accepted this as a contract, not hold the creator, LucasArts, Raven, or any
of the third parties mentioned in this document, responsible for any lawsuits, or legal issues that may or maynot incur.

I'd like to see them pin a lawsuit on me, now!:D

RaSiN_HeCk
05-28-2003, 07:58 PM
his hair is frizzy whith out a hat (hat hair?)

and his pointy cheeks were the light, nice job.

why do you have soul calibur in the read me? they didn't make Link, unless you used sounds from the game then I guess I'll shut up

P.S. is his Sword mod compadable?

Master_Payne
05-28-2003, 08:11 PM
Looks great, the texture/skin on the ears seems a bit too detailed next to the face and it looks a bit weird. (I think its easier(SP?) to make simplier(SP?) ears than do a more detailed face)
everything else looks great.

Hellfire Jedi
05-28-2003, 08:24 PM
Release it! Now!
Release it soon or I will hit you upside the head with a sharp stick!

RaSiN_HeCk
05-28-2003, 08:57 PM
he's still got some skinning to do(team colors?)

and color me newbie, but what's SP mean?

(I think its easier(SP?) to make simplier(SP?) ears than do a more detailed face)

Master_Payne
05-28-2003, 10:30 PM
1.- I'm not newbie ;)
2.- it means "Spelling Unsure" (even I don't know why its SP and no SU)
3.- for any other question about acronyms go to http://www.acronymfinder.com/

Psynex
05-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Yes, the subject is an M.C. Hammer joke...I'm a lame 80's kid.

anyway!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(I think its easier(SP?) to make simplier(SP?) ears than do a more detailed face)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. SP isn't an acronym; it's an abreviation simply for the word "spelling". It's a 2 letter abreviation English teachers use(d) (I'm getting old) to show grammatical errors on student papers. If you saw a red sp next to/above a word, you had spelled it wrong. We use the same abreviation today in these forums when we're too d@mn lazy to "look it up", so it has transformed into a 'spelling unsure' meaning.

2. easier yes, simplier...NO. It's more simple. The word you normally would speak there 'simpler' doesn't exist. It's ok to say it (sometimes), but it's not ok to write it. Another one of those English teacher quims..."Ain't ISN'T a word"...but it is in spoken English.

Thank you for tuning in...this has been Psynex's Edumucation lesson for the day.

Psynex
05-29-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Antizac
Check this out:

This is what I put at the bottom of the Readme:

I'd like to see them pin a lawsuit on me, now!:D

Well, they could actually. Even if you're not taking credit for you they could still get you. That one of the biggest problems OS skinners had with Apple. Even if you changed the apple to a pear or a bannana, the interface is still OS X and must be destroyed. It's called a knockoff, and knockoffs are illegal. I hate that mentallity. I don't think you'll have a problem though. The most they'll come at you with is a cease and decist order meaning you'd have to delete all traces of him on your system. I remember when there was a Mega Man mod for Half-Life that wrote to Capcom asking where they stood on Fan-made items and Capcom was all for it provided there was no profit involved.

Dark Moon
05-29-2003, 04:30 PM
Awesome Link!

Master_Payne
05-29-2003, 07:08 PM
2. easier yes, simplier...NO. It's more simple.

Thanks Master/Teacher, I'll keep it in mind for future posting. (for the ones who still don't know English is not my first Language)

yet more off topic. why has morgan a censorship bar?

Antizac
05-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Master_Payne
yet more off topic. why has morgan a censorship bar?

I put it there just for the hell of it...
...I was being stupid. =)

Alright, the moment, you've all been waiting for...

LINK is now available for download at www.pcgamemods.com (http://www.pcgamemods.com/file.php?id=6ba3af5d7b2790e73f0de32e5c8c1798)!

En-FREAKIN-joy! =)

Psynex
05-30-2003, 02:02 PM
Congrats! I was wondering...since I haven't payed much attention and am too lazy to look right now...how do you make switchable surfaces? If you don't answer for the sheer fact that I can look it up then that's ok; I'll understand. But you'd be doing me a big favor. ;)

Antizac
05-30-2003, 04:24 PM
Well every model has it's skin:

model_default.skin, model_red.skin, ect...

Also there's optional files that go with them called

model_default.surf, model_red.surf, ect...

In these files you simply tell the game what meshes to remove on the model, in-game. You only, really want to shut off extra parts that aren't necessary (like Kyle's shoulder pad).

For example, on Link if you want to shut off his Shield (two seperate meshes) you simply type in Notepad:

surfOff "torso_shield torso_shield_back"

("torso_shield" and "torso_shield_back" are two seperate meshes.)

Now, for meshes that are already turned off like Link's extra hair:

surfOn "head_xtra_hair_off"

(notice the "_off" at the end - this means that in .glm, it's always off unless you turn it on with the .surf script)

Ok, I hoped that helped. =)

Psynex
05-31-2003, 12:06 PM
it helped very much. Now I have one last question dealing with that; what do you then type in the console to turn the srufaces on or off?

Antizac
05-31-2003, 01:32 PM
I've been trying to figure that out, myself. I haven't been able to shut on/off surfaces while the game is running. But if you (or anyone, for that matter) find out how, I'd really like to know - because I really need to know how to do that for my SP project.