PDA

View Full Version : Vehicles?


Tomppa1988
05-18-2003, 04:59 AM
Will there be vehicles in the JA multi player? I'd love to see those! :D

HBK
05-18-2003, 08:02 AM
I don't know.

I think vehicles would be a nice addition in mp, but so far I know of no reason to expect it. JKO had the at-st in sp, but was not included in the mp. history would indicate no, but isn't that what sequels/expansions/whatever are supposed to be about? Adding/improving on the original. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

SettingShadow
05-18-2003, 09:15 AM
I can't see any reason why they wouldn't. It'd be nice in CTF, if there was some place where you could jump onto a Tauntaun/vechile, ride to the enemys base and steal the flag. It would also be cool if your enemys could kill/destroy the Tauntaun/vechile so you fall off. :D

Sam Fisher
05-18-2003, 10:36 AM
There is supposedly(sp?) going to be vehicles.

HertogJan
05-18-2003, 12:08 PM
Yeah at least in the Siege mode, you can ride an AT-ST, it's in a gamespy article...

StormHammer
05-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by HertogJan
Yeah at least in the Siege mode, you can ride an AT-ST, it's in a gamespy article...

:wstupid:

Yes, according to the Gamespy article, AT-STs will be available in MP. If they are making those available, I have hopes that other vehicle types will be made available as well.

Wacky_Baccy
05-18-2003, 01:44 PM
I'm not usually bothered much by MP, but if we could joust on Taun-Tauns with lightsabers, I might become a total convert :p

It would be interesting, to say the least :D


Rancor jousting, though, would be *truly* awesome... :dev11:

StormHammer
05-18-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy
I'm not usually bothered much by MP, but if we could joust on Taun-Tauns with lightsabers, I might become a total convert :p

It would be interesting, to say the least :D


Rancor jousting, though, would be *truly* awesome... :dev11:

You took the words right out of my mouth. :D

I've said elsewhere that I'd love to have Taun Taun jousts with sabers. But then, I wouldn't mind having a Taun Taun race...through a dangerous obstacle course, where you can use your Force powers to move stuff out of the way, or try to interfere with the other riders. :D

There's just so much potential...

Wacky_Baccy
05-18-2003, 02:18 PM
Posted by StormHammer
You took the words right out of my mouth. :DLOL :D

I've said elsewhere that I'd love to have Taun Taun jousts with sabers. But then, I wouldn't mind having a Taun Taun race...through a dangerous obstacle course, where you can use your Force powers to move stuff out of the way, or try to interfere with the other riders. :D:eek:

Whoa... Nothing like that had even occured to me :eek:

That would be absolutely fantastic... I wonder if it'll get modded in - I hope it does :D

Of course, that's even if we can actually implement Taun-Tauns in MP... Though I don't see why not... And with ICARUS scripting there too... Wow, I think I might just have to make this if no-one else does :p :D
There's just so much potential... Isn't there just... God, I really can't wait for it :D

StormHammer
05-18-2003, 02:30 PM
Or can you imagine a rebel assault team pounding out of the icy wastes astride their Taun Tauns to breach the walls of an Imperial base. The Charge Of The Lightside Brigade! Sabers at the ready. *a quick twirl of a saber overhead by the commander* Chaaaarrge! :D

Fragalicious, baby. ;)

Wacky_Baccy
05-18-2003, 02:34 PM
Posted by StormHammer
Or can you imagine a rebel assault team pounding out of the icy wastes astride their Taun Tauns to breach the walls of an Imperial base. The Charge Of The Lightside Brigade! Sabers at the ready. *a quick twirl of a saber overhead by the commander* Chaaaarrge! :D:lol:

Somewhat worryingly, yes, I can imagine it :p :D

I swear you get more odd by the day, Stormy :D

But I like the way you think... Now all we need to do is convince someone to mod it in if Raven don't let us ride Taun-Tauns by default :D (I still think a Rancor thing would be good, though - two of them ripping each other to pieces at the command of their Jedi riders/masters would be amusing ^_^)

Taos
05-18-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
Yes, according to the Gamespy article, AT-STs will be available in MP. If they are making those available, I have hopes that other vehicle types will be made available as well.

I can't imagine them only having the AT-ST.....I'm sure something else will be available - I just hope they tell us soon! :D

Sam Fisher
05-19-2003, 10:25 AM
AT-ST......nice, but think if you could drive an AT-AT!

StormHammer
05-19-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy
[B (I still think a Rancor thing would be good, though - two of them ripping each other to pieces at the command of their Jedi riders/masters would be amusing ^_^) [/B]

Yeah...call it Rancor Wrestling. :D

SamFisher...an AT-AT would rock, particularly if you could use it to get your troops close to an enemy base, and knock on the front door with max turbo-laser fire. :thumbsup:

Of course, then to even things up you'd need to have snow-speeders... :D

If they don't include this stuff in JA...I sure hope they consider it for Republic Commando. Tribes meets BF1942 meets UT2K4 meets Star Wars...would blast MP wide open... :D

Ahem... *shuffles back to reality*

I reckon they should have a speeder in MP as well. Fast and maneouverable, but easily destroyed, to balance out the heavily armoured but slower moving AT-ST. Just IMHO...

Emon
05-19-2003, 11:13 AM
Vehicles in multiplayer would be incredible, especially with that Siege game mode.

I won't be suprised if JA has vehicles in MP, and I won't be if it doesn't.

Wacky_Baccy
05-19-2003, 11:35 AM
As was already posted, ATSTs will be available, or so says GameSpy...Classes on the rebel side include the trooper, demolitionist and Jedi, and ATST's will be available in multiplayer as well.

Link (http://www.gamespy.com/e32003/preview/pc/1002710/)So we'll at least have some form of vehicle... I just hope there's more variety than 'just' ATSTs :D

Cloud Tiamat
05-19-2003, 01:57 PM
Would the vehicle get color coded or what?

StormHammer
05-19-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Cloud Tiamat
Would the vehicle get color coded or what?

I would imagine they would implement some kind of identifier so that you can tell to which team it belongs. That is assuming both (or more) teams have access to all vehicle types in a level. Perhaps they will make it so that one team can use one vehicle, and another team can use another vehicle. They may even make it so that only one team at a time can access a vehicle (which might make more sense for an Assault-type mode), in which case the point is moot.

I guess we'll have to wait for more information.

Tomppa1988
05-20-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
I would imagine they would implement some kind of identifier so that you can tell to which team it belongs. That is assuming both (or more) teams have access to all vehicle types in a level. Perhaps they will make it so that one team can use one vehicle, and another team can use another vehicle. They may even make it so that only one team at a time can access a vehicle (which might make more sense for an Assault-type mode), in which case the point is moot.

I guess we'll have to wait for more information.

I think it would be best if any1 at any time could enter any vehicle! :D just like in halo, if any1 of u ever played that... :P

Mex
05-20-2003, 02:11 PM
I would love to get onto a taun-taun and charge into the enemies base, you could even make tactics and stuff of how to get the flags with a taun taun raid... One goes round the side, one in the front and one from behind.

This will be awesome.

Kurgan
05-20-2003, 10:01 PM
Wow.. all I can say is wow, I hope they give us a lot of options in MP!

Solbe M'ko
05-21-2003, 08:18 PM
If they want to put in vehicles, why not go for the whole shebang like Tribes 2? You could have dudes on speeder bikes and swoops going for the flag while a guy in a snowspeeder or TIE Bomber tried to blow 'em up. I guess it would be too late to make those improvements now, but it would be a good addition to a future game, like Galaxies 2, but not so non-combat oriented/RPGish.


To go off topic, if LEC is going to make Galaxies, etc. they should go all the way with it; include politics, space battles, stock market style economics, etc. I would very much like to see a game that puts the player into Star Wars completely, instead of just having several different games: shooter, RTS, RPG, flight sim, civ-style.

Oh well...

StormHammer
05-22-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Solbe M'ko
If they want to put in vehicles, why not go for the whole shebang like Tribes 2? You could have dudes on speeder bikes and swoops going for the flag while a guy in a snowspeeder or TIE Bomber tried to blow 'em up. I guess it would be too late to make those improvements now, but it would be a good addition to a future game, like Galaxies 2, but not so non-combat oriented/RPGish.


Who knows what exactly is in there except Raven? :)

Anyway...Tribes 2 engine was built from the outset with all that in mind...whereas they're having to heavily modify the Q3 engine to get this stuff in there. I doubt we'll see something as large-scale as spaceships that can be flown around a map...I think it will be more ground-based vehicles.

Nevertheless...we'll have to wait and see. :)

Echuu Shen-Jon
05-24-2003, 08:36 AM
In the trailer we saw, that it's possible to ride a Taun-Taun! We also saw a starship, but will it be possible to fly that? It would simple be AWESOME!!!

ToppDog
05-24-2003, 08:32 PM
Now you guys are talkin!!! This has been my dream for the Star Wars games for a loooooooooooooooooooong time! Totally immersive 3d environments blurring FPS's & Flight sims into one seamless gametype. Incorporate MP co-op in SP style missions & things would totally ROCK!!!

Imagine fighting your way through a Star Destroyer as a jedi to disable the shields while other players in real time are fighting against TIE's in their X-Wings & A-Wings waiting for you to complete your part of the mission so they can attack the Destroyer while you make your escape in another ship.

Smood
05-25-2003, 01:12 AM
Its all about a swoop bike with a dooku cape flowing in the wind...

Solbe M'ko
05-25-2003, 02:59 AM
Precisely, ToppDog! Viva la Complete Gaming Experienca! Viva!

Speeder would be perfect for JA. They wouldn't require any earth-shaking innovation like the great and mighty CGE, and would be great for that level where you fight Tuskan Raiders. I would also very much like to see some ship-flying mini-levels, like in Shadows of the Empire. Both of these things could be done with the current engine.
:vsd:

ToppDog
05-25-2003, 05:37 AM
Yahoo!!! Yeah, it's coming. The lines are already beginning to blur. If anyone played X-Wing Alliance, you noticed they had flying stormies & droids in many of the missions; & in JKII they already had some playable vehicles/objects like droids, gun turrets, ATST's (spelling?), etc. I never got the x-wing to work, but others have been able to.

Here's my theory on how this should work: No matter what kind of game, or individual mission in the game it is, you ALWAYS start it in 1st/3rd person perspective. If it's a flight mission, you walk/run to the briefing room & sit your butt in a chair next to your buds for the briefing. Then you actually walk/run to the hanger to climb into your ship.

Your view would not change to that of the cockpit view until you were seated. If it's a ship like the falcon, a shuttle, etc. you would have to walk through the ship until you sit in the pilot's seat before switching to cockpit mode.

And in large ships like this you could have other people riding along in the ship with you. They would still be able to see you sitting in the pilot's seat while they walk around in 1st/3rd person, & you should be able to look over your shoulder & see them too while in cockpit mode.

With this you could sneak onboard an enemy ship, kill the pilot midflight, & jump in the pilot seat & fly it. And if you were the pilot, you could possibly hear him coming, switch to autopilot which puts you back in 1st/3rd person, slice up the stowaway with your saber, & get back to flying your ship.

This could even be done on a grand scale such as taking over a capitol ship. What if instead of disabling the shields of the Star Destroyer, you wiped out everyone on the bridge & took over the controls to attack other nearby Star Destroyers/enemy fighters, etc.

The same could work in reverse. You could be in the briefing room or the hanger about to get in your fighter when you are attacked & stormies are boarding your ship. You could choose to slice em up with your saber, jump in your fighter & hover there while you mow em down with your cannons (like Anikin in EP1), fly out & attack the other incoming enemy ships, or any combination of the three.

And the missions would not automatically end when the mission objectives are completed. For those that like, they would be able to actually land their ships in hanger bays etc. & then walk/run/explore anywhere they want on that map. You could goto your quarters & check your messages, the messhall for some chow, the officers lounge for a drink & some girlies. The possibilities are endless.

The same would apply to 1st/3rd missions on the ground.

Ah well, I hope to see something like this before I die, LOL.

Tomppa1988
05-25-2003, 08:09 AM
riiight..... now that's an idea I'd like to see in action... unfortunately, I think they're just not that good at Raven/Lucas Arts that they could make that happen... :( though, I hope they'll try :D

StormHammer
05-25-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by ToppDog
Yahoo!!! Yeah, it's coming. The lines are already beginning to blur. If anyone played X-Wing Alliance, you noticed they had flying stormies & droids in many of the missions; & in JKII they already had some playable vehicles/objects like droids, gun turrets, ATST's (spelling?), etc. I never got the x-wing to work, but others have been able to.

Here's my theory on how this should work: No matter what kind of game, or individual mission in the game it is, you ALWAYS start it in 1st/3rd person perspective. If it's a flight mission, you walk/run to the briefing room & sit your butt in a chair next to your buds for the briefing. Then you actually walk/run to the hanger to climb into your ship.

Your view would not change to that of the cockpit view until you were seated. If it's a ship like the falcon, a shuttle, etc. you would have to walk through the ship until you sit in the pilot's seat before switching to cockpit mode.

And in large ships like this you could have other people riding along in the ship with you. They would still be able to see you sitting in the pilot's seat while they walk around in 1st/3rd person, & you should be able to look over your shoulder & see them too while in cockpit mode.

With this you could sneak onboard an enemy ship, kill the pilot midflight, & jump in the pilot seat & fly it. And if you were the pilot, you could possibly hear him coming, switch to autopilot which puts you back in 1st/3rd person, slice up the stowaway with your saber, & get back to flying your ship.

This could even be done on a grand scale such as taking over a capitol ship. What if instead of disabling the shields of the Star Destroyer, you wiped out everyone on the bridge & took over the controls to attack other nearby Star Destroyers/enemy fighters, etc.

The same could work in reverse. You could be in the briefing room or the hanger about to get in your fighter when you are attacked & stormies are boarding your ship. You could choose to slice em up with your saber, jump in your fighter & hover there while you mow em down with your cannons (like Anikin in EP1), fly out & attack the other incoming enemy ships, or any combination of the three.

And the missions would not automatically end when the mission objectives are completed. For those that like, they would be able to actually land their ships in hanger bays etc. & then walk/run/explore anywhere they want on that map. You could goto your quarters & check your messages, the messhall for some chow, the officers lounge for a drink & some girlies. The possibilities are endless.

The same would apply to 1st/3rd missions on the ground.

Ah well, I hope to see something like this before I die, LOL.

Some of the things you want will be available in Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter, which will allow you to run around shooting things in FPS mode, then get into a ship, walk through it to the controls, take off, fly around and shoot other ships, land on a much bigger ship, get out and start running and gunning again. The developers had to build the engine from the ground up to be able to do that, though...

I don't think our chances are very good at the moment for seeing this kind of thing in a Star Wars game, unless they really work on building an engine to do it... Of course, IMHO, that's exactly what they should be looking at doing...

Solbe M'ko
05-25-2003, 08:47 PM
Well, that's a thread on its own, I think.

For JA, I would very much like to have the vehicles make sense and be relevent to the situation. In JO, some of the AT-STs were oddly placed, for example in the hanger of the Doomgiver. Also, I would like to see more accurate saber damage on special enemies. I found that stormtrooper went down with one hit, but the bipedal droids took many.

StormHammer
05-25-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Solbe M'ko
For JA, I would very much like to have the vehicles make sense and be relevent to the situation.

I agree...to an extent. Although to be fair it's possible for any vehicle to be anywhere...if someone stole it, or has been using it for purposes other than those originally intended.

Anyway...AT-ST's aren't out of place aboard a Star Destroyer...it's part of the ship's job to carry around troops, equipment and vehicles. :confused:

Wudan
05-27-2003, 01:00 PM
Technically you could fire up the AT-ST and take it for a spin around the star destroyer, but wouldn't somebody be annoyed by that?

Emon
05-28-2003, 11:31 PM
Even if there won't be more than AT-STs in the stock MP, it should open the door to a whole new world of multiplayer modding and gameplay mechanics.

tFighterPilot
05-29-2003, 09:37 AM
Raven will be including more vehicle sequences this time, including AT-STs again, and Tauntauns, the biped creatures the Rebels rode on Hoth.http://www.elecplay.com/preview.html?article=11127

Seems like we would only got At-St and Tauntans. :(

StormHammer
05-29-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by imyourfather
http://www.elecplay.com/preview.html?article=11127

Seems like we would only got At-St and Tauntans. :(

It says including, not limited to. Another article mentioned speeder bikes. We won't know the exact line-up until we get to play the game.

txa1265
05-29-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer
It says including, not limited to. Another article mentioned speeder bikes. We won't know the exact line-up until we get to play the game.

Exactly. Right now is a fun time of aggregating tid-bits of information to try to make a fuller picture of what the whole will look like when done.

I also hope that vehicles, when available, are optional - like the AT-ST in Yavin Canyon ... and UNLIKE the King Tiger in MoHAA. I liked using the AT-ST much more when I realized that if I was getting toadted I could always jump out and slug it out on the ground.

Mike

StormHammer
05-29-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
I liked using the AT-ST much more when I realized that if I was getting toadted I could always jump out and slug it out on the ground.

Mike

I enjoyed the AT-ST much more...when I realised I could hop out of the damaged one, and get into the second one halway up the canyon. :D

Anyway, I agree with what you said about choice. Although I want to be able to ride vehicles...it would be great to be able to get in and out of them at will. NOLF/NOLF2 allowed you to do that, as did Red Faction...and JO. I hope the trend continues.

Tomppa1988
05-30-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer
I enjoyed the AT-ST much more...when I realised I could hop out of the damaged one, and get into the second one halway up the canyon. :D

Anyway, I agree with what you said about choice. Although I want to be able to ride vehicles...it would be great to be able to get in and out of them at will. NOLF/NOLF2 allowed you to do that, as did Red Faction...and JO. I hope the trend continues.

why wouldn't it? ;) there's no point in vehicles you can't get out of, is there? :/or even if you can when you finish the mission or so.. but if you're in mp with vehicles, and you can't get out of them when you want to, then... euhm.. when are you going to get out? lol

JDKnite188
05-30-2003, 09:48 PM
Wow. That is all I can say. I didn't know that the possibility of vehicles in MP would have so much potential for the MOST AWESOME gaming experience!

All of these ideas sound great but remember . . .

1. The Quake III engine has to be heavily modified to do all this stuff. The amount of work that Raven has done will ultimately determine how much of this vehicle stuff will be available.

2. Lag will kill us all if the speed of such vehicles are too high.

3. Most of these great ideas will probably be developed through modding from community individuals.

. . . but I am still hoping for . . .

1) Speeder bikes and swoops with mounted weapons.

2) Troop carriers with support for passengers and driver

3) Taunting jousting!

4) Races!

5) Maps big enough for the vehicles to be useful.

5) Complete control of these vehicles!

Oh this is just freakin' awesome. Yup, definitely.