LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   JO Mapping (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=359)
-   -   Slooooooooowwww Compile Times (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=110717)

Mr. Chopper 09-10-2003 12:50 PM

Slooooooooowwww Compile Times

Yeah, and it just happened yesterday, out of the blue. Well, I take that back- it happened after I uninstalled radiant and reinstalled it. Anyways, the problem is this- when I Try to compile my map, it gets majorly hung up on the PassagePortalFlow "procedure". I mean, it eventually finishes, but I swear it takes half the day to do it. It was never that slow before yesterday. So I'm thinking when I reinstalled radiant (using same version as before), I did............something to mess it up. I'd really appreciate some advice here.

Eldritch 09-10-2003 02:36 PM

What version of Radiant are you using, and which compiler?

Also, how big is your map and have you used detail / structural brushes properly?

Mr. Chopper 09-14-2003 04:22 PM

I'm using Gtk Radiant 1.2.11 with the updated Q3map compiler. Anyways, I think I've narrowed down the problem. I created a chair from brushes, and I copy/paste-d about twelve or so into a room. I'm going to try deleting them all and seeing if that does it. Because it wasn't until I made this particular room that the "lag" started.

Lil Killa 09-14-2003 07:10 PM

You don't have to delete them.

If u make the brushes in the chairs out of detail brushes then they will be ignored by the compial proces.

If u have any Large rooms like a hangar or something... those take a while to compile.

Mr. Chopper 09-14-2003 07:19 PM

LOL I know I didn't have to delete them, but I just figured it would be easier. If I took the one chair I made and turned it into detail, then every copy of it I made would already be a detail brush................... right?

Eldritch 09-15-2003 01:53 PM

@ Lil Killa - Detail brushes are not ignored by the compile process. However, when the VIS portion of the compile process finds a detail brush, it doesn't block VIS. Meaning that anything behind it will be drawn.
If the chairs are actually slowing down the framerate, making them detail brushes won't do a whole lot to help that. It should speed compiles, however. The engine still has to draw all the triangles that make up the chairs. Speaking of which...

@ Mr. Chopper - How detailed are these chairs? And is there anything else in that part of the map that could be causing the slowdown?

Mr. Chopper 09-15-2003 03:12 PM

The chairs aren't slowing the framerate- I'm pushing upwards of 65 FPS in this particular area. My original problem was chairs. See, I have this long table with chairs around it..... I think about 17 chairs. I deleted all of them and bam, just like normal the thing compiled without any of the lag I had been experiencing. So the chairs were the problem. I took the one main chair I had made and turned it into a detail brush, so now when I copy/paste the chairs back around the table where they were, they should all be detail brushes like the original. I think I got this problem solved. Thx all. :)

Lil Killa 09-15-2003 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eldritch
@ Lil Killa - Detail brushes are not ignored by the compile process. However, when the VIS portion of the compile process finds a detail brush, it doesn't block VIS. Meaning that anything behind it will be drawn.
If the chairs are actually slowing down the framerate, making them detail brushes won't do a whole lot to help that. It should speed compiles, however. The engine still has to draw all the triangles that make up the chairs. Speaking of which...

: /

I meant to say that by making them detail the compile would co faster but as ussual I never explain things right. Evryone would be lost if only i was around to try and help =Pdoesn't matter any more though...