LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Ye Olde Harbour (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Steriotypes (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=122645)

Mr Flibble 02-06-2004 07:45 PM

Steriotypes

We're all down with steriotypes.
The American is fat and uncultured.
The German ladies have moustaches.
English are posh or drunk.
Italians...made a lifestyle choice....

Don't be offended. I ain't got no beef with you guys.
We're all one happy family here.

Whats the Northern Irish steriotype?
Is it violent?

I only ask because you never see these people on The Simpsons or South Park...

Rufio 02-06-2004 08:19 PM

Irish: child bearing, wife beating, drunken potato loving oafs.

Yufster 02-06-2004 09:35 PM

In Ireland, the perception of Northern Irish people is... confusing. I think catholics think of protestants as "Bastards that should go back to England", but I'm not sure what the protestants think of catholics because the only protestant people I know are too nice to say stupid crap like that.

I'm half English, half Irish, and I'm agnostic. Therefore I have no real view on the whole competition over Northern Ireland.

I think on a global scale, people look at Northern Ireland and the Republic as one country, and we all come under the label of "Stupid, Drunken Irish."

Which is funny because we have a really well educated workforce and one of europes best education systems.

Yet still most Irish people 'cum online n talk lik dis as tho de internet is dere mob fone'.

That is not helping the perception that they are stupid.

Oh man.

Joshi 02-06-2004 09:49 PM

So can we assume that all Flibbles are bad spellers?

Joking, but it is Stereotype.

And I'm Half English, Half Indian and Half African (oh yes, three halves) so peoples stereotypical view of me is "He's weird, lets not talk to him." and that's mostly before they learn about my three halfs, or annoying tendancies.

Jedi-Monkey 02-06-2004 10:03 PM

Re: Steriotypes

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Flibble

I only ask because you never see these people on The Simpsons or South Park...

The Irish have been on the Simpsons a couple of times. There was that Saint Patricks episode where everyone got drunk in honour of the Irish.

Alia 02-06-2004 10:16 PM

Yes, I'm a fat, uncultured American, but I also am a lady and have strong German roots so I get to enjoy the moustache privelege too. Ha! Take THAT!

Orca Wail 02-06-2004 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Yufster
I think on a global scale, people look at Northern Ireland and the Republic as one country, and we all come under the label of "Stupid, Drunken Irish."

Which is funny because we have a really well educated workforce and one of europes best education systems.

The dumber you act, the more surprised they are when you do something...

I don't like being an ugly American. I DON'T WANNA BE AN UGLY AMERICAN. But what is an ugly American? I'm not an ugly American to some people 'cause I drink green tea (from China) and have a little Ganesh collection going, and Indonesion dragons. Or, because of this, I'm MORE of an ugly american, going
"eek! thats soooooooo cool!"

:confused: bah. I say the hell with sterotypes.

muskawo 02-06-2004 11:17 PM

The main stereotypes I get is that I have an accent like Steve Irwin, and there are kangaroos and koalas left right and centre everywhere I go.

I have been asked before if there is electricity in Australia, and if we speak english here. Considering I was in a chat room at the time this confused me. They were'nt joking, either.

Guybrush122 02-06-2004 11:32 PM

Stereotypes, are, of course, horrible. However stereotypes would not exist if there wasn't SOME truth to them.

SOME Irish love potatoes.

SOME Jewish mothers can't cook and love their sons to death.

SOME German females have moustaches.

SOME Italian men love these things

1. Mother
2.Children
3.Dog
4.Wife

in that order...

SOME....well, I could go on all day.

Point is, everyone has an idiosyncrasy that puts them under a stereotypical category, whether it be small or large. That's why we find it so refreshing when someone so easily vulnerable to being labeled says and does atypical things.

As for me? American. Jewish. Liberal. Middle Class. Living in the Suburbs.

Have fun with those ;)

Yufster 02-07-2004 01:09 AM

Stereotypes like that have a lot of truth to them. But they need to be updated. The whole Potato Irish thing goes back to the last famine in Ireland, for a start.

Guybrush122 02-07-2004 02:31 AM

Agreed, many stereotypes are very old fashioned. The Irish one, as you mentioned, is probably a prime example.

French stereotypes, as well.

Ernil 02-07-2004 04:48 AM

Stereotype: People from Antarctica like to wear big coats.

I'm not sure who actually believes this one, but I'm sure they're a tremendous minority by now.

Skinkie 02-07-2004 05:45 AM

In the southern hemisphere, the water goes backwards when you flush, kinky.

Alia 02-07-2004 12:36 PM

Whoa, you mean like up and out of the toilet? Freaky! And a little gross.

Mr Flibble 02-07-2004 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Joshi
So can we assume that all Flibbles are bad spellers?

Thats Mr Flibble to you.
We're not all bad spellers. I'm normally a good speller.
Unless its in a Latin... there are several occaisions on the board where I have got Latin wrong. (Nauseam. It sounds so simple)

There is some truth in all stereotypes, otherwise no-one would have made the comment.
Theres one town in Italy where no kids have been born for 32 years cause all the men in the village are gay.:rolleyes:

I'd have thought that all the paramilitaries would have slipped into our stereotype...

I could sure go for a potato round about now.

mapixx 02-07-2004 05:03 PM

Quote:

Theres one town in Italy where no kids have been born for 32 years cause all the men in the village are gay.:rolleyes:

Really??? I didn't know....:p

I think stereotypes are funny if you don't believe them....Italians aren't like Mario and Luigi :D

Kj°len 02-07-2004 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ernil
Stereotype: People from Antarctica like to wear big coats.

I'm not sure who actually believes this one, but I'm sure they're a tremendous minority by now.

Ok, some meay not LIKE to wear big coats, but according to their location, I assume they might have to. :p
But that's putting aside the fact that... wait... people live in Antarctica? O.o;

Skinkie 02-07-2004 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alia
Whoa, you mean like up and out of the toilet? Freaky! And a little gross.
Yeah, I hear it results in some major hygiene problems.

Ernil 02-07-2004 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Skinkie
Yeah, I hear it results in some major hygiene problems.

I'll bet it's not that bad. A logical way to solve the problem would to simply have the toilet on the ceiling. I'm sure that's how they do it.

Yufster 02-07-2004 06:40 PM

Do what?

Ernil 02-07-2004 06:43 PM

Excrete

(yetch)

Emma 02-07-2004 10:15 PM

I don't know what the Scottish stereotype is - probably that we all wear kilts and the only thing we eat is haggis.

I must be pretty 'British', though. I mean, I'm a Scot living in Wales who has an English boyfriend (whose house I'm always at) and my boyfriends best mate/housemate is from Northern Ireland.

Ray Jones 02-07-2004 10:22 PM

haggis from cmi is the living scotsman.

also the only irish stereotype i've ever heard is that irish's have red hair. hmm..

i wonder of older stereotypes are also called monotypes.

what? dont look at me like that..

SOMEONE had to say it!!! :mad:

:D:D

Skinkie 02-08-2004 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ernil
I'll bet it's not that bad. A logical way to solve the problem would to simply have the toilet on the ceiling. I'm sure that's how they do it.
Do they like velcro themselevs to the seat or what?

Ernil 02-08-2004 04:36 AM

Didn't Natty once mention that she could levitate? Maybe the Austrailians evolved that throughout the years.

Yeah, I'm sure that's how it's done.

Skinkie 02-08-2004 06:06 AM

Sounds strangely believable to me.

DrMcCoy 02-09-2004 11:19 AM

Re: Steriotypes

Quote:

The German ladies have moustaches.
i didn't know that one...
i thought we just wear leather trousers, drink beer and eat sausages all the time...

(and i never saw a lady having a moustache hear... maybe in a circus, but i've never been in one...)

Philocleon 02-09-2004 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Emma
I don't know what the Scottish stereotype is - probably that we all wear kilts and the only thing we eat is haggis.

I must be pretty 'British', though.

If I remember correctly, you yourself said on Dalnet that even your father thinks you don't have much of a Scottish accent.:p

Emma 02-09-2004 01:25 PM

Nah. My parents both think I sound Scottish.

Ray Jones 02-09-2004 01:28 PM

oh yes TUM TUUUMMM TUUUUMMMMM!!, girls have TUM TUUUMMM TUUUUMMMMM!! beards. TUM TUUUMMM TUUUUMMMMM!!

but most of them are not "german" ..
but there are definitly girls with TUM TUUUMMM TUUUUMMMMM!! beards existing! TUM TUUUMMM TUUUUMMMMM!!

even beautiful girls .. TUM TUUUMMM TUUUUMMMMM!!

:dozey:

TUM TUUUMMM TUUUUMMMMM!!

*dies of his imagination*

Alien426 02-09-2004 01:44 PM

http://www.eugenicsarchive.org/image...01-950/906.jpg

If somebody needs me, I'll be in my room... door locked.

Skinkie 02-10-2004 03:12 AM

What is that? Like every steriotype ever combined into one picture? Am I missing something?

muskawo 02-10-2004 08:46 AM

I love that it appears that someone was so disturbed by that picture that they decided to cut themsleves and bleed on it.

Alien426 02-10-2004 09:35 AM

He didn't cut himself. He felt as strongly about the woman as I, so it's really the lack of a lubricant...

:disaprove

Sounding like Ray feels weird.

Ray Jones 02-10-2004 04:21 PM

yeah right.. feels weird. :rolleyes: .. :confused: wait!! THAT was a compliment. NO, it wasnt. SHUT UP, it was. .. .. no, i dont think so. perhabs i could ask him about that.. NAAAH.. he will think you are NUTS, mister. .. wait, i AM nuts. no, am i NOT. .. pshee, YOU ARE. pssshd. better you say something NOW, or else everybody will just continue staring!

err.. egypt?

nooo. not that .. that other thing.

HI. my name is RAY. i am new here. i also got a name once. it's called ray. thats why i tend to react if someone calls "ray". but enough about me for now. WHAT color are your panties?

Branik 02-10-2004 05:37 PM

The Irish are always drunk on WHISKEY, eat potatos, curse a lot, are always angry, look like leprachauns, have red hair, and like music.

Me? I'm typically Finnish: Drunk, melancholic, never talk anything unless I absolutely have to and can't speak any foreign languages. Oh yeah, and arguments are always solved by stabbing people in the stomach.:D :D :D :D

Mr Flibble 02-10-2004 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Branik
Oh yeah, and arguments are always solved by stabbing people in the stomach.:D :D :D :D

I'll drink to that!

Branik 02-10-2004 07:00 PM

But the really funny part is that it wasn't a joke. In Pohjanmaa (a region of Finland) that really happens.:( Us Finns really can't act properly while drinkin'.

Philocleon 02-10-2004 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Emma
Nah. My parents both think I sound Scottish.
Oh, you can't fool me, Em. I remember a few years ago on Dalnet very well that you made some comment on your accent. You or the other monkeys in the room at the time.

Emma 02-11-2004 01:14 AM

I think you imagined it.