LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Jedi Outcast (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   saber throw hack ? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=124585)

Farscape 03-08-2004 08:51 AM

saber throw hack ?

Hi, When playing games I noticed that a person spectating asks someone to throw saber at level 3 then it just flys off into disappearing and then the spectator can someone invisible saber people that does 30 damage at a time to people ? Is this an exploit or something?

MasterN64 03-11-2004 01:18 PM

It could be a hack or a glitch. Probably a hack, i can hardly go to a game without people hacking. Anyway just get a anti-cheat thing and it should stop if it was a cheat.

noide 03-12-2004 07:29 AM

it's not a hack, it's just a glitch known as invis saber.

Rumor 03-12-2004 05:54 PM

whoa someone saying hacking is rampant lmfao

its jedi outcast. nobody hacks other than like...5 people.

anyway its a.

Kurgan 03-19-2004 07:25 AM

Were any mods being used? Admin mods (server side even) can do a lot of screwed up crap to a game.

Likewise, was it 1.04 and a pure server?

It's possible of course, since there were several exploits in the JK2 code that weren't really fixed until JA and the JA patch!

dFiend 04-01-2004 04:42 AM

If I remember correctly, it was a pure server gliche and unless you were on a complete noob server, it wasn't that effective... fun, but not effective.

hkoi 04-06-2004 08:16 PM

it's just a glitch. as long as sv_floodprotect is off it'll work.
Nice little trick though, I used to get people with that all the time ^_^

Kurgan 04-13-2004 09:52 PM

Interesting... that might explain why I've never seen it!

Prime 04-14-2004 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mastern64
i can hardly go to a game without people hacking.
LMOA.

dFiend 04-15-2004 07:14 AM

yes...

lmoa.. lmoa

melord 10-05-2005 04:03 AM

hacks?

So what is the status with hacks? I've seen a server completely owned before by a complete stranger.

Whats been your experience?

riceplant 10-05-2005 05:44 AM

So people you don't know = bad at the game? Try thinking before posting, huh?

melord 10-05-2005 12:28 PM

Well thats quite a statement. Did you even think before replying or did you just want to say something negative?

Let me guess, you're 17 and you still live with your parents?

I know what I've seen so its odd that you'd dismiss it so fast. The incident that took place was unprecedented, he took over the server and messed things up pretty bad (he was not a former admin). Riceplant, You take this stuff pretty darn seriously. Please, try not to be such a little kid.

Go clean your room,

V

riceplant 10-05-2005 01:58 PM

Perhaps a little consistency would be in order. Did he 'own' everyone on the server (as implied by your previous post), or did he take control of the actual server (as stated in your second post). I'm not sure where you get the idea I take this seriously, as I just pointed out that you don't need to cheat to be good at the game, and there seems to me to be a deal of ambiguity in what I was 'dismissing so fast'.

By the way, congratulations, you found the User Profile page!

melord 10-05-2005 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riceplant
Perhaps a little consistency would be in order. Did he 'own' everyone on the server (as implied by your previous post), or did he take control of the actual server (as stated in your second post). I'm not sure where you get the idea I take this seriously, as I just pointed out that you don't need to cheat to be good at the game, and there seems to me to be a deal of ambiguity in what I was 'dismissing so fast'.

By the way, congratulations, you found the User Profile page!

Well if you didn't know then why be so caustic? When your rude to people in real life do you get your way? I doubt you're rude to people in person, you probably know better than that.

In my previous post I stated that I've seen a server completely owned by a hacker, yes this means that he could do whatever he liked with the server though he was most definantly not formerly or currently an admin. The stuff he was doing to people and the server itself was very odd, eventually it restarted.

Obviously this stuff goes on, I was just trying to get peoples take on it without starting a new thread.

Some how I'm guessing you won't have anything productive to say anyway and for being on here for only a month more than me it seems you spend alot of time here. (post count)

By the way, I guessed your age... whenever I encounter a brat on the internet I say something to the same effect, because its true.

- V

El Sitherino 10-05-2005 03:13 PM

Stop flamebaiting.

melord 10-05-2005 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Sith
Stop flamebaiting.

I'm not, simply explaining myself and educating this young man on the merits of respectful discourse.

TK-8252 10-05-2005 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melord
I'm not, simply explaining myself and educating this young man on the merits of respectful discourse.

Oh yeah, because you're so qualified to inform others of what respect is. :dozey:

Quote:

Let me guess, you're 17 and you still live with your parents?

(Just FYI - at seventeen you're still by law your parents' responsibility)

Quote:

Please, try not to be such a little kid.

Quote:

Go clean your room,

:rolleyes:

And to the topic, uh, sorry but there's no hackers in your game. Chances are it's either a glitch or screwy damages in a server mod. Unless you just aren't too good at the game...

melord 10-05-2005 06:58 PM

Wow the anger, the hostility! Why did you even post? Did you add anything to the discussion other than your hostility?

So your saying there isn't and never was any cheaters in JO? How long have you been playing?

I try to bring up an honest discussion, in a existing thread and I'm met by animosity for simply mentioning the word "cheat." Did I touch a nerve here?

Or was it the age comment I made? Ya know I'm not much older than he is but I know that at 17 we all think we're very important for some reason. I know that at 17 you're still OWNED by your parents and thats why they lack the credibility to make snooty comments... if anyone does have that credibility, I haven't found it yet.

By the way, its not really my game. I believe the copyright belongs to Lucas Arts and they are not responsible for what happens during online play.

Please, everyone, if you don't have anything to add but negativity please
just don't post here. I will only laugh at your nerd rage.

There is cheating in JO and you know it, whether or not you consider it cheating because you're an active participant... is up for debate.

p.s. I bet all the girlz think your sig is the rage TK-8252

Kurgan 10-05-2005 07:35 PM

There were hacks and exploits in the game, but they were typically very rare after the patches.

The trouble is that there are indeed some MODS that are widely used that have BACKDOORS built into them and major exploits, that allow people to generally raise hell if they know the right buttons to press. Was this a mod server or unmodded?

If it was running one of the many admin mods out there I'd dismiss this out of hand as the result of some kind of mod glitch or backdoor. That doesn't rule out the possibility, but it certainly raises some giant red flags!

Anyway melord, it sounds like you're very angry about this, but please don't assume that we're cheaters if we don't immediately agree with you!

I know that certain cheats do exist, such as wallhacks and aimbots, but they are rare, because they don't confer much of an advantage by the nature of the game. The other deal is scripting, which some consider to be cheating, others don't. There's examples of some weirdness like moves with "broken" animations that kill in one hit and are unblockable, and "wiggling" moves that do way more damage than they're supposed to normally, and the "debug" animations being available for incorrectly compiled mods.

Supposedly there was some glitch in JA wherein a person could overload and crash a server somehow. But I don't know how to do any of these. You'd have to get into real specifics here, for us to have any idea what's going on.

A lot of weird glitches exist in the game, but not all of them can be used to take advantage and ruin the game consistently on purpose... and since LucasArts has not given Raven Software permission to release anymore patches for the game, any fixes will have to go through modders. But it seems the serious coders have all moved onto JA or other games, but I could be wrong about that...

TK-8252 10-05-2005 07:52 PM

Quote:

Wow the anger, the hostility! Why did you even post? Did you add anything to the discussion other than your hostility?

Perhaps you should be asking yourself the same questions.

Quote:

So your saying there isn't and never was any cheaters in JO? How long have you been playing?

When the hell did I ever say that?

I played it for a couple years. I don't automatically assume that just because someone's better than me that they're cheating, hacking, etc.

Quote:

I try to bring up an honest discussion, in a existing thread and I'm met by animosity for simply mentioning the word "cheat." Did I touch a nerve here?

Your idea of an "honest discussion" is telling those who disagree with you that they're little nerd kids who need to go clean up their room? Your idea of an honest discussion is highly perverse.

Quote:

Or was it the age comment I made? Ya know I'm not much older than he is but I know that at 17 we all think we're very important for some reason. I know that at 17 you're still OWNED by your parents and thats why they lack the credibility to make snooty comments... if anyone does have that credibility, I haven't found it yet.

Wait, since when does age determine credibility?

Quote:

Please, everyone, if you don't have anything to add but negativity please just don't post here.

You, sir, someone who's been at LucasForums for a little over a month, do not dictate who can and cannot post here. Now follow your own advice.

Quote:

I will only laugh at your nerd rage.

How strangely ironic.

Quote:

There is cheating in JO and you know it, whether or not you consider it cheating because you're an active participant... is up for debate.

...Of course there's cheating. People use helpusobi 1 and devmap all the time to get god mode, all weapons, etc. Then there's admin mods who allow the admins and their friends to use powers that are essentially cheating. But hacking, on the other hand, is likely non-existant as there's really no competitive play in JO anymore.

Quote:

p.s. I bet all the girlz think your sig is the rage TK-8252

Wait, there's GURLZ on the INTRANET?

BLASPHEMY!

melord 10-05-2005 08:05 PM

Thank you Kurgan! Thats the kind of response I was looking for, I'm the first to admit that I'm no expert on this and its the very reason why I brought the topic up.

The server in question did have an admin mod so its very plausable that he was using some exploit.

I would consider scripts cheating as the point of the game is to play against a player, not some piece of code. I do believe I have encountered this though I'm still able to beat them so its not too big of a deal.

and I don't consider them cheaters, simply bringing it up as a possible reason for their disdain.

I will admit that I did get a bit testy, can you blame me? All I was met with was animosity, I can't help but reply with some off commentary though I do try to keep it tasteful.

Thanks Kurgan

melord 10-05-2005 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-8252
Perhaps you should be asking yourself the same questions.

When the hell did I ever say that?

I played it for a couple years. I don't automatically assume that just because someone's better than me that they're cheating, hacking, etc.

Your idea of an "honest discussion" is telling those who disagree with you that they're little nerd kids who need to go clean up their room? Your idea of an honest discussion is highly perverse.

Wait, since when does age determine credibility?

You, sir, someone who's been at LucasForums for a little over a month, do not dictate who can and cannot post here. Now follow your own advice.

How strangely ironic.

...Of course there's cheating. People use helpusobi 1 and devmap all the time to get god mode, all weapons, etc. Then there's admin mods who allow the admins and their friends to use powers that are essentially cheating. But hacking, on the other hand, is likely non-existant as there's really no competitive play in JO anymore.

Wait, there's GURLZ on the INTRANET?

BLASPHEMY!

Did I ever say I was getting owned by players on JO? I simply said someone owned a server right in front of me, hardly blaming someone for their skill.

Honest discussion? That would be if you two had actually posted something of substance like our dear friend Kurgan. You didn't, so I responded in kind. I'm really sorry if the little kid comments offended you, they didn't offend me.

I'm also sorry to tell you that age, experience and self-reliance does determine credibility. When you move out of your parents house, this harsh reality will dawn on you and you might remember our conversation.

and you're right, I cannot dictate who posts here, only Kurgan can do that. I only asked that negative people like you wouldn't post here, just a suggestion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-8252
Of course there's cheating. People use helpusobi 1 and devmap all the time to get god mode, all weapons, etc. Then there's admin mods who allow the admins and their friends to use powers that are essentially cheating. But hacking, on the other hand, is likely non-existant as there's really no competitive play in JO anymore.

You're entitled to your oppinion, perhaps you should have voiced it before callously disregarding mine? Wait that would have been to polite for someone as "all knowing" as you. You just don't have the time.

El Sitherino 10-05-2005 08:23 PM

Quote:

you're right, I cannot dictate who posts here, only Kurgan can do that

Wrong, I can too, and if you don't stop flamebaiting I'll just delete your posts until you get the message.

Final warning.

melord 10-05-2005 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Sith
Wrong, I can too, and if you don't stop flamebaiting I'll just delete your posts until you get the message.

Final warning.

My apologies but I don't see how I'm the one flame baiting, these two come to this thread with nothing but negativity and I'm supposed to be a doormat?

Was I baiting Kurgan? No, because he actually posted something of substance.

Come on.

Kurgan 10-05-2005 11:19 PM

Alright simmer down, simmer down.

Looks like melord, who's a newbie (I mean compared to us old geezers here) made a rather vague statement, which was replied to with sarcasm from riceplant. So he went ballistic on the guy calling him names, etc. Then TK and Insane Sith (who's a super mod so yes his opinion does count, much as I hate to admit it, just kidding Sithy!) responded to your (melord's) nasty comments, etc. ad naseum.

Now I can see you weren't trolling here, but obviously there's been a failure to communicate.

So let's everyone of us DROP the flames right here and right now.

The old "you're a nerd" this is pretty old. And yes, I'm afraid that we ARE jaded. Cheating DOES exist in this game, but is very very rare. What is far more common is ACCUSATIONS OF CHEATING. Sadly, there have been a lot of sore losers out there who use the "you're using hax!" as an excuse, and it leads to 'innocent' people being banned from all kinds of servers.

So anyway, that's why you have the grumpy attitudes. When I hear somebody say "Owned the server" I assume they meant they joined and "shut it down" by which I don't mean they using some "hacking" to physically disconnect the server and/or ban everyone through some security flaw in the game. Rather, "owning" meaning they beat everyone so badly they all decided to leave.

Many of us who get good at online games have been to the point where we are seemingly "so good" that people refuse to play us anymore and either leave, shut down the game we're in, or kick us!

That's not to say we're the best in the world, on the internet you often get paired up with people of a variety of skill levels. So you might just end up with some people who could never beat you in a million years, and they will get frustrated, and maybe be spoil sports.

Sometimes they'll accuse you of cheating... either through ignorance or just plain pettiness (they hope by accusing you of cheating, they can distract from their own lack of skill).

This isn't always the case. I used to argue and flame the "sore losers" but more often than not I've tried to reason with them, to educate people about the game so the accusations of cheating will be made less often and evaluated more critically.

So that's my 2 cents on this.

As far as the hacks, again I'll say I've heard about them, I've had people explain them to me, even show them to me in the form of screenshots or videos. But when I'm actually playing I don't see them. I occasionally hear somebody accuse another of cheating but it usually turns out to just be a misunderstanding. The worst examples of stuff tend to be with the backdoors in mods.

There was one exploit in Jedi Outcast (was fixed in JA's 1.01 patch finally, since both games use a similar code base in the Q3 engine) wherein you could lock a rocket onto somebody, switch to another weapon, then switch back and release the rocket. Basically you'd get a locked on rocket that only used up one ammo (instead of the normal two) and moved fast (instead of slow like it normally did).
So that gave you a slight advantage, but you had to master that.

Some sorts of things in the Q3 engine are actually exploits, but they were purposely left in by the developers because they had become so popular with players (and even with previous Quake engines). Like rocket jumping and strafe jumping. Those are actually exploits in the physics engine, but people have incorporated them into their playing styles, even if they're completely unrealistic. ;)

There are also some "map exploits" wherein a person can hide inside a wall on certain maps, making it impossible for anyone to get them, which can screw up a CTF game. Xmod2 worked to correct some of these map "hacks."

Many exploits in Siege existed that let you screw up the game, like making the Droid head on Hoth go inside a wall and never come back. OJP Mod fixes that and many other Siege bug/exploits (like the one wherein you could blast the bridge with an explosive on Hoth and make it retract back into the wall and never come back out, meaning you could never bring the AT-ST across, giving the defense a huge advantage for part of the mission).

Sadly it seems in JK2, there was less emphasis on fixing bugs and exploits like this than in adding stuff like jetpacks, grapple hooks, new saber types and moves, and "admin features" like the ability to make players explode with the touch of a button to "punish" them for some imagined wrong-doing like forgetting to use an "emote" before a duel. ;P

There may be some JK2 mods out there that strove to fix these "hacks" and make them less harmful, but I don't know. I've moved on to JA and that's where I see the progress being made. Don't get me wrong JK2 was a fun game, but I've since moved on...

So good luck. And don't fight. It's much better when we all treat each other respectfully (sometimes you've got to be the bigger man) and share information and experiences freely.