LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   The Sliced TaunTaun (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=559)
-   -   Music (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=134087)

Revlt Coranier 08-21-2004 12:36 AM

Music

Talk about music here! What kind of music you like, favorite artists, etc.

My favorite kind o' music is rockabilly. I also like some '80s metal, classical, swing, blues, real R&B (rhythm and blues), and country.
I really dislike rap, hip hop (what's the difference?), new R&B like Aliyah and all these new female singers, techno, and slow-romance type music.

ZBomber 08-21-2004 01:29 AM

Hooray for Classic rock!

Aerosmith > All of you

TK-8252 08-21-2004 01:50 AM

Star Wars music! :D

*Turns the Imperial March up real loud*

:p

Sabretooth 08-21-2004 05:24 AM

Metal and Gothic, anytime, anywhere.

Pad 08-21-2004 06:20 AM

Iīm mostly into older rock, jazz, drum&bass,... which changes alongside my mood.

Things I despise: all that popular crap you hear on commercial radios. And donīt even get me started on R&B! :fist:

FiEND_138 08-21-2004 06:51 AM

Punk; Misfits, Samhain, Black Flag, Exploited, Sex Pistols, some Ramones, early Christian Death (though thats more goth-punk), Cramps...

Some classic rock; Hendrix, Doors (mostly)

Metal/hard rock; Carnivore, Type O, Maiden, early Metallica anything pre 'justice', Danzig, Tool, Ozzy, RAtM, some Aerosmith & Van Halen back with Diamond Dave...

Pretty much anything that's fun to learn/play I'll give a listen.

*Agrees with Pad on the despised music front*

Virtuosis 08-21-2004 11:00 AM

I listen to less mainstream stuff, definetly not rap.

From Autumn to Ashes, As I lay Dieing, Thrice, Classic Case, Beloved, Murder By Death.

Most of you probably don't like it, but I do.

Other than that I really listen to everything. But those are what I listen ot most of the time.

yaebginn 08-21-2004 11:37 AM

Like- Aerosmith, Allman Brothers, Rolling Stones, ZZTop, The Who, Styx, George Thurgood, a lil bit of the Doors.

Dont Like- Rap, Most punk rock, heavy metal, country in large doses.

EDIT- oh, and Elvis is pretty good, too. But he's not up with my favs.

Revlt Coranier 08-21-2004 12:36 PM

Does anyone play any instruments? I play guitar, I have a 1978 Gibson Les Paul.

yaebginn 08-21-2004 12:40 PM

I used to play the Baritone (like a mini-tuba)

FiEND_138 08-21-2004 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Revlt Coranier
I have a 1978 Gibson Les Paul.
Nice axe. Play guitar in my punk band. Bass in my metal band. Toy around on drums a little bit, used to play a bit of piano when I was younger but fell out of practice when I got my bass.

Pad 08-21-2004 02:08 PM

Quote:

Does anyone play any instruments? I play guitar, I have a 1978 Gibson Les Paul.
Wow, thatīs what I call very nice.

I play guitar on an acoustic Fender.

ZBomber 08-21-2004 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by yaebginn
Like- Aerosmith, The Who
Hello hello..... :)

Darth Groovy 08-22-2004 08:02 AM

I like anything that is not country.

My favorite artist of all time though is David Bowie.:cool:

Jaden Malip 08-22-2004 09:26 AM

I like rock stuff, Offspring, Green Day, Foo Fighters stuff like that.

O yeah, I've got an Epiphone SG

Dragnarr 08-22-2004 11:29 AM

HIM, The69Eyes, Amorphis, Nightwish, and yeah they are all metal bands :cool:

yaebginn 08-22-2004 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Darth Groovy
I like anything that is not country.

My favorite artist of all time though is David Bowie.:cool:

Ground Control to Major Tom......Ground Control to Major Tom.

also- Total Eclipse of the Heart, American Pie, Benny and the Jets, Under the Bridge, I smell sex and candy, and Leaving on a Jet Plane are some good songs.

double edit- Dont wanna miss a thing is on, that song rox!

Jaden Malip 08-23-2004 11:23 AM

ATM, i'm going through every green day song I have. One album to go, with a new one coming out the same day as battlefront.

DieStarWarsGeek 08-23-2004 10:17 PM

Guitar, bass, drums, a little piano, used to play trumpet.

I listen mostly to metal, hard rock, and punk rock,(mostly anything 80's and on) but i am also a fan of gangsta rap(not the new hip hop bullcrap), techno, and pretty much everything else. Anything good. Yes even country. Yes even R&B. Yes even Pop songs. Just as long as the artist is really an artist and not a performer. or an idiot.

Revlt Coranier 08-23-2004 10:59 PM

That was so funny how rappers in the '80s and early '90s would wear necklaces with big clocks on them :p

I love Elvis (early stuff, not so much the later, satin cape stuff), Robert Gordon, Danny Gatton, the Stray Cats, Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran, Carl Perkins, etc. '50s rockabilly is where it's at.

yaebginn 08-24-2004 08:02 AM

I agree with ya there, revlt. Buddy Holly, elvis, thats where its at, too.

ckcsaber 08-24-2004 10:18 AM

I used to be a "anything new is crap" guy. In the past two years, my eyes have been opened.

Of course I like all the classics, whether it be Queen, the Beatles, or the Velvet Underground. I still love the Blues. I still love Classical (romantic period).

But, a lot of "new" music iss actually good. We went through some tough times at the turn of the millenium. But I'm starting to hear more and more great bands all the time now.

Robert Randolph, in particular, restored my faith in today's music. His "sacred steel" guitar work is amazing.

yaebginn 08-24-2004 10:54 AM

alot of new stuff IS crap. but some is good.

Jaden Malip 08-24-2004 11:11 AM

There are alot of new bands that try and be Green Day, but have failed miserably.

ckcsaber 08-24-2004 11:12 AM

@ Yaegbin

Not really. A lot of people don't give stuff a chance, like you for instance. You like what you like, but deeming a whole era of music as pretty much crap is totally false. You are only cutting yourself off from great music.

And I'm not talking about "Greenday" and bands how "try to be Greenday".

xp

Revlt Coranier 08-24-2004 03:31 PM

I went to Summer Sanitarium last year in San Francisco, and Mudvayne, Limp Bizkit, Cold Play, Linkin Park, and Metallica played. I don't like any of those first four, but they are good at what they do. I just don't like whatever it is that they do. I like Metallica's first three albums. You won't believe this, I slept through over half of a metal concert. It was like 100 degrees and I was wearing skin tight jeans and a leather jacket. I slept most of the time until Metallica came on, where I headbanged until I had a bitchin headache.

yaebginn 08-24-2004 05:44 PM

Re: @ Yaegbin

Quote:

Originally posted by ckcsaber
Not really. A lot of people don't give stuff a chance, like you for instance. You like what you like, but deeming a whole era of music as pretty much crap is totally false. You are only cutting yourself off from great music.

And I'm not talking about "Greenday" and bands how "try to be Greenday".

xp

no, it just depends on what you like. I dont like most nowaday music. I dont like rap, dont like heavy metal, and that pretty much leaves punk rock and country. Countrys ok, but if u listen to more than a few songs at a time, it gets boring. Some punk rock is ok, but then u gotta divide that. I dont like songs with excesive swearing. That divides it some more. I dont like songs with crappy lyrics. That divides it some more. I dont like songs with crappy music, divides it some more. I only like a fraction of nowaday music, and I dont wanna buy a cd of it to decide whether I like it or not, and dont wanna listen to it on the radio, cause the other categories make up the majority, and I dont wanna sit through that. Theres plenty of awesome oldies that I like the majority of, and I'm fine with that. It all depends on what you like to listen to.

Revlt Coranier 08-25-2004 12:22 AM

Hey Yaeb, ever heard a song called Ubangi Stomp? It was written by Charles Underwood in 1956 and performed by Warren Smith. It's a real catchy tune.

Virtuosis 08-25-2004 01:54 AM

Even though I already told yall what I like I really wasn't specific. I love technical guitar. Bands like The Bled have really really technical guitar and it sounds amazing. Thrice are just all really good musicians. Swearing doesn't bother me though. If they can make it sound good than I'll listen to it. I'll give about anything a chance.

Jaden Malip 08-25-2004 08:40 AM

I think the guitarist from Muse is great. He's not the best in the world kind of talent like Clapton but he's still damn good.

ckcsaber 08-25-2004 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by yaebginn
I dont like most nowaday music. I dont like rap, dont like heavy metal, and that pretty much leaves punk rock and country. I dont like songs with excesive swearing. I dont like songs with crappy lyrics. I dont like songs with crappy music
It's easy to try and categorize music into peices you deem crap. The thing is, you've already made it a fact in your mind that all new music is "crappy".

All you are really doing is leaving yourself out of a lot of great music.

I don't like rap much either, but I have heard a few really great, meaningful songs. If you want to listen a rap song that doesn't contain "crappy lyrics" or "excesive swearing" listen to The Message by Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five. Now this may be oldschool rap, but it's a damn good song. Just listen to THE WHOLE thing, and you might like it. It suprised me.

There is good current music. I know people "like what they like", but you are totally wrong to say it's all pretty much crap.

yaebginn 08-25-2004 11:48 AM

To you, its great, to me, not so much. A few songs are good. Like 'Under the Bridge' by Red Hot Chili Peppers. And Marcy Playground, I smell sex and candy. I admit ,some are good songs. But alot of it, by alot, I mean percentage wise. Of all new stuff, from 2000 to now, if you take the percent of all the songs, I like less than twenty percent. I havent heard alot of it, so I'll give it the benefit of a doubt and say I like 10 percent, 15 at most. And no, I havent heard Ubangi Stomp, I'll see if I can find the cd of...Warren Smith or Charles Underwood at the store, and see if I can listen to it.

Virtuosis 08-25-2004 12:10 PM

But if you haven't heard it how can you consider it "crap"? Thats like me saying you know what I haven't heard eric clapton but because its old I'm sure its crap.

yaebginn 08-25-2004 12:16 PM

Not exactly. I gave the kind I dont know of the benefit of a doubt, which is why its at 15 percent. There is some that is ok to me. but not much. It all dependso n what you like. if you dont like clampton, fine. Its not your loss, cause if you dont like him, you are not losing anytihng, cause your gain/loss ratio is set by you. if you like it, you listen to it, if you dont, you wont.

Revlt Coranier 08-25-2004 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ckcsaber
If you want to listen a rap song that doesn't contain "crappy lyrics" or "excesive swearing" listen to The Message by Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five. Now this may be oldschool rap, but it's a damn good song. Just listen to THE WHOLE thing, and you might like it. It suprised me.
I downloaded it. That song is pretty cool. I like some old school rap, it was more music whereas nowadays rap is more like noise (in my opinion).

ckcsaber 08-25-2004 01:08 PM

Yeah. I was pretty suprised to hear a rap song trying to get a point across. It got me into rap a little bit. I still dislike what Rap is now, but I respect its roots.

yaebginn 08-25-2004 01:27 PM

lke NWA and Easy E? They're ok. Old rap is way better than new rap, but I'm not a big fan of either. I'll chec kout that song, thanx for the tip.

Revlt Coranier 08-25-2004 02:26 PM

I still think it's awesome how they used to wear necklaces with big clocks :D.

yaebginn 08-25-2004 04:00 PM

yeah, I'm gonna get a dead grenade and run it thorugh a chain and wear it. not exactly like those old rappers, though. Youd have to get a strong chain with the clocks, cause otherwise itd break the chain.

Lynk Former 09-05-2004 12:50 AM

Quote:

*bump*
Never ever bump a thread for no reason. I mean at least contribute or SOMETHING besides what you just did.