LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Prequel Trilogy (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=439)
-   -   Darth Maul - Who is he really? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=141616)

Darth Jessaya 12-19-2004 03:52 AM

darth maul- who is he realy?

you guys got any infos on darth maul exept the film? i mean, what was he doing BEFORE ep I?

wassup 12-19-2004 03:39 PM

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/darthmaul/

http://www1.theforce.net/cuswe/searc...rch=Darth+Maul

TDK 12-25-2004 12:50 AM

Er hat sich tätowiert!
He is a Akrab, or something like that, I mean the species!

Revan Solo 12-27-2004 09:39 AM

Have you got all your informations now? Or have you another question, perhaps I know an answer!

Kurgan 12-30-2004 02:47 AM

Zabrak you mean? If so, yes he is.

Doc Valentine 03-16-2005 07:20 PM

There was some talk about this before, who he was, what his name was, though his race is confirmed as zabrak. He was deffinetly too cool to just die in the first movie.

Darth_Monkey11 08-21-2005 03:26 PM

one of the highly trained sith's,
the only sith that can handle the two bladed sword :dsaber:
Jedi ant used to siths becuse
the sith has been gone for over 2000 years
Which makes a good duel! :maize:

Leviathan 08-30-2005 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gsccc
There was some talk about this before, who he was, what his name was, though his race is confirmed as zabrak. He was deffinetly too cool to just die in the first movie.

He wasn't the true apprentice Palpatine had searched for a long time ; Consequently, he would have been killed soon...

shukrallah 09-04-2005 11:00 PM

Hmm, checked the databank. Theres not a lot of info on him. Indeed, he was a cool character. Too bad he died so early. It seems to me that lucas needed a saber battle, so he just threw maul in for that. He didn't really do much in the movie, he barley said a word. He got into two fights, spoken to palpatine, killed qui gon, and that was about it.

Leviathan 09-05-2005 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukeskywalker1
Hmm, checked the databank. Theres not a lot of info on him.

It isn't surprising... Sith know how to clean all their tracks... (Childhood, past existence, etc...)

Kensai 09-24-2005 09:09 AM

Lucas certainly did just through him in for the sake of it, but it's a cool choice of randomness...

richie 09-25-2005 03:18 PM

every movie maker is desprit for rateings

RaV™ 09-25-2005 03:22 PM

http://starwars.wikicities.com/wiki/Darth_Maul Most likely the best info you can find on Darth Maul AND Star Wars itself.

richie 09-25-2005 03:23 PM

and darth maul may had been on good and then turned bad

edit: so whos knows

Kurgan 09-25-2005 05:54 PM

I thought that Darth Maul was supposedly "trained from birth" as a Sith by Palpatine. Maybe that's not correct?

RaV™ 09-25-2005 08:31 PM

Kurgan your correct read the first para in the Wiki Star Wars link i've posted.

Kurgan 09-25-2005 11:28 PM

Assuming the Star Wars Wiki info is accurate of course... ;)

El Sitherino 09-26-2005 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurgan
Assuming the Star Wars Wiki info is accurate of course... ;)

It is.

Prime 09-26-2005 10:22 AM

Not all of it is though...

El Sitherino 09-26-2005 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prime
Not all of it is though...

True, but then again it is on wikicities.

richie 09-26-2005 01:00 PM

hmmmmm......maby lucas didnt put all this stuff together to make sens to fans

Kurgan 09-26-2005 02:48 PM

Not likely. Wikipedia is run by fans, the point is that it's a "community effort" by whomever wants to contribute. I could write up some nonesense and post it right now, and unless somebody corrects me, it'll stay there. StarWars.com can make mistakes (and has in the past quite often) but they're infinitely closer to lucas than a fan site like this.

Overall I'm sure it's "accurate" I'd just be curious what sources each tidbit comes from. The article does include some SuperShadow material, immediately making it suspect though (see the notes in the history for Darth Maul's 'real name' for example). Interesting to see where it came from!

El Sitherino 09-26-2005 02:52 PM

Quote:

Wikipedia

Wikipedia != Wikicities.

Kurgan 09-26-2005 03:20 PM

Quote:

MediaWiki is the PHP-based wiki engine which runs all of the wikis on Wikicities.

The software was originally created for Wikipedia and is now used by many sites. This free software is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL) and can be downloaded from wikipedia.sourceforge.net.

See the MediaWiki feature list for features of this software.
The Star Wars Wiki is based on the same software base, and is run on the same kinds of principles and methodology. This particular site was started by WhiteBoy on March 4, 2005.

It's completely unofficial. So the info on it is only as accurate as the sources they may be using and the integrity of those posting/editing it. That better? ;)

El Sitherino 09-26-2005 03:23 PM

Well there's more of the matter that Wikipedia is generally kept up better than any of the other wiki's and is, generally, more reliable, therefore unrelatable.

Kurgan 09-26-2005 03:29 PM

So Wikipedia is more trustworthy because it's more popular and thus the articles change hands more? Interesting way to put it. ;)

richie 09-26-2005 04:43 PM

well im still trying to put all the peices together to figure out all the things and find out facts about darth maul.

Kurgan 09-27-2005 12:09 AM

Post your findings on the wiki page, I'm sure folks will want to read them! ;)

richie 09-27-2005 12:51 PM

Quote:

Post your findings on the wiki page, I'm sure folks will want to read them! ;)

k :) ill find some stuff

Kain 09-27-2005 04:10 PM

Given that the wiki page names SuperShadow as one of his sources, we can all rest easy knowing that its reliable :rolleyes:

idle 10-01-2005 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leviathan
He wasn't the true apprentice Palpatine had searched for a long time ; Consequently, he would have been killed soon...

???

This goes against everything I've believed Maul to be. Yes, he was cut down by a Padawan, yes he wasn't overly strong in the force but surely with time and training he would have been able to defeat Obi-Wan and also master the force?

I don't get how you can assume him to be just "fodder".

Echo-7 10-06-2005 08:26 AM

i didnt look at ur links yet, but his real name was Solan and something..i forgot..but i am even not really sure if that was the name. Palpatine took Maul as Apprentice since Maul was a little boy.

Kurgan 10-06-2005 02:25 PM

Apparently his "true name" is from a translation of the novel material into another language, which SuperShadow seized upon and then the "Star Wars Wiki" printed as fact.

Anyway, Darth Maul is really Ray Park (with the voice of Peter Serafinowicz). ;)

John Skywalker 10-09-2005 05:39 PM

if you like maul so much there are two books of him as the main character set before episode 1. one of them is called saboteur and cloak of deception i think

Nedak 10-14-2005 04:16 PM

Quote:

Not likely. Wikipedia is run by fans, the point is that it's a "community effort" by whomever wants to contribute. I could write up some nonesense and post it right now, and unless somebody corrects me, it'll stay there. StarWars.com can make mistakes (and has in the past quite often) but they're infinitely closer to lucas than a fan site like this.

Overall I'm sure it's "accurate" I'd just be curious what sources each tidbit comes from. The article does include some SuperShadow material, immediately making it suspect though (see the notes in the history for Darth Maul's 'real name' for example). Interesting to see where it came from!

Knowone knows except that he was a Zabarak... And dude change your sig its realy anoying

El Sitherino 10-14-2005 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by han sala
Knowone knows except that he was a Zabarak... And dude change your sig its realy anoying

Hmmm... nothing about his signature is breaking rules, and I don't think you're in a place to tell anyone what to do.

I'd like to tell you to not bump threads unless you have a valuable contribution.

MachineCult 10-16-2005 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Sith
Hmmm... nothing about his signature is breaking rules, and I don't think you're in a place to tell anyone what to do.
contribution.

Especially Kurgan, the Administrator and his sig is great, it's only annoying to him because he is a n00b.

idle 10-16-2005 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachineCult
Especially Kurgan, the Administrator and his sig is great, it's only annoying to him because he is a n00b.

LOL. Who you calling a n00b, man? What does that have to do with anything? How does being a n00b automatically constitute irritance at a certain sig? I like the sig myself, I wonder if anyone who joins today likes it. If they do will they not be n00bs? I'm confused. :(

ANYWAY, Darth Maul. Would the great Sith plan have worked if he survived and remained the apprentice throughout the prequels? Sidious seemed to warm to the idea of expendable's after Maul's death but if Sidious worked so hard on Maul and Maul survived to remain his apprentice would he be expendable or would he be a precious commodity in the Sith way of thinking?

You could argue Sidious only cares about himself but the real question is would he choose Anakin Skywalker, a snot-nosed, whiney asshat Jedi who has a bit of talent in the force or would he chose a man who defines badass who he has trained from childhood?

MachineCult 10-17-2005 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idle
LOL. Who you calling a n00b, man? What does that have to do with anything? How does being a n00b automatically constitute irritance at a certain sig?

He might not have liked it because it's about n00bs and he, is one.
Proven by the fact that he thinks he can tell an Admin to change his sig because he finds it annoying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by idle
I wonder if anyone who joins today likes it. If they do will they not be n00bs?

What a stupid thing to say.
That was obviously not what i meant.

idle 10-17-2005 09:29 AM

MachineCult is a n00b, lol.