LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Ye Olde Harbour (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   being as bored as i am... (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=142365)

NiKo 01-03-2005 04:44 PM

being as bored as i am...

I had a whiff of nostalgia.
so I looked down some old threads, made me laugh out loud quite a few times.
and at the time I was in the army, I had no idea that I was nominated The Best Oldie Award 2003!
Now I'm blushing all over.

anyways, thought It could be fun,
digging up old threads and sharing them here.

nostalgia anyone?

Fender 01-03-2005 04:48 PM

Linky doesnt work mate

I think I remember being pissed cos I didnt get nominated for that! :p

I remember Escapemi Family, all the threads about our shortlived gaming company, and the random things we used to talk about.

Shame we all grew up and left, aye? Though I'm glad I pop in here ocassionally, I don't know why I left.

Kjølen 01-03-2005 05:58 PM

Aye, I miss the old days. I know I'm a ranting newb compared to you two, but oh well, I still the remember the good old days. Not as many as you, of course, but I'm oldbie enough to start shamefully neglecting the forums. :p

What about K-jo'Round™? Wasn't K-jo'Round™ idiotically fun, al least? ;_;

Ray Jones 01-04-2005 12:24 AM

That one was cool.

And err.. that one.

And maybe that one.

Speaking of nostalgia, thanks Das for using the sig pic i made for you AGES ago. :p

NiKo 01-04-2005 02:50 AM

I'm gonna go supernotalgic here and mention ZeroXcape, Brief Murta and Grannen.
anyone old enough to remember them?

I wonder what happened with Grannen.
He was the nicest guy,
and the last time he posted he said that he cant' post as much
anymore because he's very ill.
I hope he's still alive and well

Alien426 01-04-2005 05:59 AM

Mail him.

Kjølen 01-04-2005 05:59 AM

Aye I remember them all. Zero didn't come in too often, but oh well.

Joshi 01-04-2005 07:15 AM

Wasn't Zero our admin? I mean the one that looked over this forum in particular.

And Grannen was a great guy, he was the Hint's and Tips guru before he left and I sort of tried to take over, hope he's well.

Murta's still on MSN if people want to talk to him, he just doesn't come by here anymore.

Emin3m 2 01-04-2005 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alien426
Mail him.
Too bad that doesn't work and you can't see his e-mail address by looking at his profile, but mods and admins can see it from the mod/admin menu. He might have changed his e-mail though.

Quote:

Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails through this board. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help.

NiKo 01-04-2005 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Joshi
Wasn't Zero our admin? I mean the one that looked over this forum in particular.

yes. he was the founder/webmaster of Escapemi.com.

Joshi 01-04-2005 09:33 AM

I know escapemi.com doesn't exist anymore, but wasn't it last updated sometime in 2002?

Feral 01-04-2005 12:24 PM

I remember all!

NiKo 01-04-2005 12:29 PM

hey feral, remember the time the Escapemi forums were closed, so you and your bro opened a forum in your webpage, and all us forumers moved there untill the forums came back?

Kjølen 01-04-2005 01:22 PM

Hmm, that must have been before my time. Oh well. When was it?

Feral 01-04-2005 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NiKo
hey feral, remember the time the Escapemi forums were closed, so you and your bro opened a forum in your webpage, and all us forumers moved there untill the forums came back?
Oddly enough I do. Blimey. That's going back a bit. At least 4 and a half years...

NiKo 01-04-2005 01:41 PM

how is your bro anyway?

Feral 01-04-2005 02:11 PM

He's fine. Doesn't do much on the web these days mind.

Joshi 01-04-2005 02:39 PM

Is he that guy you do all that stuff with on feralweb? (like go to ToyzRUs and terrorize the place)

Feral 01-04-2005 02:46 PM

Indeed.
Visited the site lately, Neil?

Joshi 01-04-2005 02:52 PM

Not really, but you'd be surprised how bored I am at the mo, so now's as good a time as any.

Joshi 01-04-2005 03:02 PM

The 'I won a rock' sequel was awsome, and the I'm sorry was the icing opn the cake. True class.

Of course it's nothing on the original.

Das Mole 01-05-2005 02:02 PM

Quote:

I was nominated The Best Oldie Award 2003!
I want to do another awards show :( I never finished the first one, but almost did (Yufster and I kind of co-did it), and then the second time, I made it halfway. I believe I asked if everyone wanted to do one again, and everyone said no :( I think I'll ask if everyone wants to do one again...and then we can do it like every February or something. I dunno.

Joshi 01-05-2005 02:55 PM

I don't think anyone has every succefully pulled off an awards show here, save for the first one I think.

NiKo 01-05-2005 03:17 PM

we can all wear designer tuxedos, and walk around the red carpet with our hot celebrity girlfriends, smiling to the cameras!

Guybrush122 01-06-2005 10:30 AM

Mmmm, the old days. Jeez, you guys remember the posting craze? The desperate rush to get to the title of Three-Headed Monkey? Man, what a blast from the past. Or how about the signature surge? That was a ball...

...and the award threads! Link On! The Pirate Singing Game! And of course, the game projects. Niko, remember that one that you did about the wizard? The one you tried to make look oldschool? I think it was called "Black Magic". I think I still have that on my computer. And hey, how about Man on the Run? Or even Niko's last one (if memory serves) -- the spoof on Marilyn Manson and his undead goth army?

Ah, and the lyrics.

Sigh. Wistful memories of old.

NiKo 01-06-2005 12:28 PM

oh yeah, I'm still hoping on finnishing these games one day

as soon as I find an engine easy enough to use for an ignoramus like myself.

what about you, Chris?
still planning on returning to those old projects one day?

Skinkie 01-06-2005 07:38 PM

To me this thread will always be the true classic.

On a different note this one was my original dip into complete forum madness. There's about dozen threads that this little thing wound up covering. But this is all past to me now, as now I'm the head honcho around there. But maybe this is why I got nominated for biggest jerk around here. *bitter now*

I know it didn't really have anything to do with classic threads from around here, still a good read though.

Here's a couple of the other ones involved.
One
Two
Three

These were classic times. But man, I was like 15 at the time, I sound so young in all those posts.

Guybrush122 01-06-2005 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NiKo
oh yeah, I'm still hoping on finnishing these games one day

as soon as I find an engine easy enough to use for an ignoramus like myself.

what about you, Chris?
still planning on returning to those old projects one day?

AGS, my man, AGS. I fiddled with it, and it's a fabulous engine.

I don't know, I don't think adventure game design is truly in me. I mean, I'll always be an adventure game NUT, but I doubt I have the capacity to make a moderately good adventure. Especially with the artwork. Talk about stick figures. Bad ones.

No, these days I concentrate on just writing.

But weren't those the days, eh? Had my heart pumping every time we had a character sketch done, or a new line in the script...

DrMcCoy 01-07-2005 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guybrush122
AGS, my man, AGS. I fiddled with it, and it's a fabulous engine.
...pfff, ags isn't that fabulous... ever seen the linux port? the only good point is that it kind of works (but with damn lot bugs and stuff)... if only the source would be released, then i could try and fix it... but nooo, they won't cause it would be sooo easy to steal the resources and crap (mostly blah in my eyes/ears)...

Joshi 01-07-2005 06:43 AM

I'd never try making one unless someone paid me, I love adventure games, but I know I just get bored ha;fway through and leave it.

Then I'd come back years later and be like "What the hell was I thinking?!"

Fender 01-07-2005 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guybrush122
But weren't those the days, eh? Had my heart pumping every time we had a character sketch done, or a new line in the script...
Have you still got any of the old UAC scripts (Newber etc.)? If so can you sendy?

What are you writing now, BTW?

Alien426 01-08-2005 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DrMcCoy if only the source would be released, then i could try and fix it...
How far did you get with your engine? You mentioned that you won't develop it any further, but do you have a demo to download? What else are you working on?

DrMcCoy 01-08-2005 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alien426
How far did you get with your engine? You mentioned that you won't develop it any further, but do you have a demo to download? What else are you working on?
...well, i kind of lost interest... it isn't really far, it loads stuff from a xml-like file and you can navigate using the arrow-keys... the alpha-stuff works though it's ineffectively and slow (high cpu usage)...

...and it'll currently only compile on linux (or other unix systems, given there's a libdl and x11)...

...if you want you can download it there:
http://drmccoy.xtrem3.de/zeugs/adventure.tbz2
...but beware, the code is quite messy...

...i worked a bit on my v4l console radio application ( http://dmcradio.sourceforge.net/ ) and filed a debian rfp (request for package) bug report (i already debianized the source) and hope that it will be integrated in debian sid...

...atm i work on a file ripper under linux (but it's supposed to become portable), since i always liked mrip ( http://www.baccan.it/index.php?sezione=mripper&email=si ) ...it became open source recently, but it's mainly written in clipper and it's completely messy, so i thought writing a new ripper from scratch would be nifty...

...looking in my c-directory, i see alot of started but never finished stuff, like several attemps at a rpg-thingy (2 times with svgalib, 1 time with x), a "3d-engine" (really, really basic stuff, nothing useable), two modplayers (amiga-soundmodules, 1 try in c, one in c++... they work (for 4 channel "m.k."-style mods), but they use far to much cpu)... i often start something, then get another idea, leave my current "project" behind and start the new idea, so i rarely finish something (in fact, the only project that is kind of finished (as in useable my "normal" people) is my DMCRadio...)...

Natty 01-09-2005 03:42 AM

God this depresses me... I feel old.