LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Jedi Academy (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=474)
-   -   New Jedi Knight Game Rumors (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=150205)

Weirdbeard 07-28-2005 04:17 PM

New Jedi Knight Game Rumors
 
I am looking to see if anyone knows of any rumors or facts about a new Jedi Knight game. Not about the storyline or what you hope it will or will not have. I'm looking to see if anyone knows anyone from Lucasarts that may have leaked something or anything of that nature. I want to know IF this game is actually going to happen. I've seen threads that have had similar comments but they always seem to become tainted with people's fantasies of the game play. For this thread I really dont care about detail of the game itself. I'm just looking for what people know about it coming out and why or why it may not come out.

RpTheHotrod 07-28-2005 04:41 PM

Last time I checked, which was 3 months ago, LucasArts stated that there are currently no plans for any more Jedi Knight series games.

razorace 07-28-2005 05:28 PM

That doesn't mean that they won't happen, they just aren't planned in the immediate future. Like it was after MotS.

Neverhoodian 07-28-2005 10:48 PM

With Lucasart's announcement that some games like Empire at War are being delayed so as not to flood the market with Star Wars games, I think we're in for another dry spell like razorace said. They might make a new JK game in the future, or they might not. I don't think anyone really knows at this point.

riceplant 07-29-2005 05:19 AM

I don't suppose there are enough of us here at LF to change their mind. There are 90 647 members across the whole of LF, but I don't know how many are active in the Jedi Knight area. Do you think we should start a poll? And this thread's title is really misleading, by the way. Got my hopes up for a minute.

Weirdbeard 07-29-2005 08:34 AM

LOL!! Sorry to get your hopes up Rice. Let me see if I can improve upon the title a bit.

A poll might be cool......

Crow_Nest 07-29-2005 09:31 AM

Even if there was a next JK game, LC wouldnt be making plans for it for the next few years.....

But hopefully there would be one. :)

Weirdbeard 07-29-2005 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
Even if there was a next JK game, LC wouldnt be making plans for it for the next few years.....

But hopefully there would be one. :)

Why do you say that?

Crow_Nest 07-29-2005 09:39 AM

That LC wouldnt make plans until a few years? Because they already dont have any plans for a new JK game, and i said there might be a new JK game in future because the Jedi Knight series is popular among the gamer fans, im sure LC would want to make more money from them

DarkStarMojo 07-29-2005 01:17 PM

Considering JK games have always been succesful, I think another game is a good possibility, it's just not a priority right now what with games like KotoR, Galaxies, and Battlefront. I, personally, haven't been able to locate any rumors (not for lack of trying, though) but as soon as something comes up you're likely going to hear about it either in these forums or in a JediKnight-related website such as JediKnight.net.

Amidala from Chop Shop 07-30-2005 10:55 AM

I got this email directly from LucasArts on May 4, 2005:

Quote:

At this time, we have no plans for another Jedi Knight game but we will pass along your feedback to our Production department.

Thank you,
LucasArts Public Relations

Weirdbeard 07-31-2005 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amidala from Chop Shop
I got this email directly from LucasArts on May 4, 2005:

Could you please post the email address you sent that to? I would like to send one also, expressing my hopes for a new JK game.

Sabretooth 07-31-2005 11:29 PM

I say we bombard them with e-mails and force them into getting what we want!

But in any case, I had heard of rumours that JKA is the last JK game...

Don't ask me where I heard those.

Amidala from Chop Shop 08-01-2005 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdbeard
Could you please post the email address you sent that to? I would like to send one also, expressing my hopes for a new JK game.

I'm afraid that if I did this would happen...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretooth
I say we bombard them with e-mails and force them into getting what we want!

I went to Star Wars Celebration III in April and LucasArts had a booth there. They were touting Battlefront II and the Episode III game, but I don't remember seeing much about anything else, not even Republic Commando, Empires at War, Galaxies, etc. I talked to a couple of LucasArts people there about the problems (as I saw it) with the JK series, and they seemed pretty interested (or at least acted interested). They asked me to put it in writing and email it, so that's what I did, and that's the response they sent me.

Obi_Kwiet 08-01-2005 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretooth
I say we bombard them with e-mails and force them into getting what we want!


Captain, the Star Destroyers are in place for orbital e-mail bombardment!

fuzzyfreaker 08-01-2005 08:13 PM

Well, as a game of this type hasn't come out since JKA, unless you count the saber dueling in EpIII i'd expect that they may make and JK for the next-gen consoles and one for PC as well. JK on Unreal 3... ahhhh.

Sabretooth 08-02-2005 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyfreaker
JK on Unreal 3... ahhhh.

Not likely - Unreal's greatest Rival, Quake is being developed by Raven. They'll get U3 easily? Not likely.
But still...
*floats into the world of dreams*

VaderR 08-02-2005 11:49 AM

Is Lucas Arts planning on Jedi knight 3? (or rather 4?)
 
Does Lucas Arts have this in the developers hands yet or?
Loved Jedi Outcast and Academy so....what's next? Taken into account the great ideas they should implement these into the next series along with a new graphic engine, but which do you guys think would make for the best engine?

VaderR

Amidala from Chop Shop 08-02-2005 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amidala from Chop Shop
I got this email directly from LucasArts on May 4, 2005:

Quote:

At this time, we have no plans for another Jedi Knight game but we will pass along your feedback to our Production department.

Thank you,
LucasArts Public Relations

54321

DruggedSith 08-02-2005 03:23 PM

:lightning Strike me down with your Jedi weapon....because there are no guns in JKA

-BLaCKouT- 08-02-2005 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DruggedSith
:lightning Strike me down with your Jedi weapon....because there are no guns in JKA

:p that's sig material...

B.

Sabretooth 08-03-2005 11:19 AM

This has been done a million times already. Hey, how about one of you mods make a thread, lock it, sticky it and write in it:

LUCASARTS HAS NOT TOLD US OF ANY DEVELOPMENT OF JEDI KNIGHT 4. NO THREADS CONCERNING THIS MATTER WILL BE TOLERATED.

shukrallah 08-03-2005 11:26 AM

Yeah, we really are getting like 5 or more of these threads a month. The fact is, we probably won't get another JK game for a while. It goes in cycles:

Jedi Knight
MotS (expansion)

5 years go by

Jedi Outcast
Jedi Academy (sort of an expansion)

5 years go by

New JK.

DarthMuffin 08-03-2005 11:39 AM

Since Battlefront II will allow people to play as Jedi, I think we'll have to wait for quite some time; LucasArts will technically release a "Jedi shooter" next november, so I suppose they'll try out different genres before going back to Jedi Knight.

And yeah, there should definitely be a sticky about that.

Kurgan 08-03-2005 12:31 PM

Quote:

Is Lucas Arts planning on Jedi knight 3?
Not until the releases of Dark Forces III and Mysteries of the Sith II!

Seriously though, no, no plans for a new JK series game. This gets asked every so often (ex: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=149229)but the answer has always been the same. Officially there are no plans and there aren't any rumors, only wishful thinking, unfortunately.

But on the upside, this means all you JK2 and JA fans can keep working on your mods and keep supporting your community if you wish, without the "threat" of a 'better jedi game' stealing all your attention.

Had they started a hypothetical JK4 immediately after JA was released, they could be done with it by now I would think, if they used the Q3 engine or Unreal tech. Then again look how long it took them to do a game like Republic Commando. It really depends on who does it and their experience and LucasArts's time table. It seems Raven is busy with QuakeIV. But if Q4 is a success and the Doom3 engine is seen as popular and viable.. it'd take a few years to develop it at least. JA came so quickly because it was based on the codebase Raven had already established with Jedi Outcast.

DruggedSith 08-03-2005 02:57 PM

Seeing a new JK game (a longshot at this point but who nows what the years will bring as more and more shooters hit the market) built on a next gen engine would be sweet as long as they can accomodate up to 16 player servers.

I would only hope that LucasArts gives another studio other than Raven the license to develop it.

Reprehence 08-08-2005 01:56 PM

This is a little depressing. There aren't any SW games coming out that I'm particularly interested in. Battlefront is okay - fun to play for a while, but there are no characters - no story line. I gets old fast. I suspect the same with Empire. What I liked about the JK series (and the KotOR series - though I prefer action based combat) were the story and character combined with excellent gameplay. In short - a good single player experience. Even Republic Commando had some of that. The Episode III game had some pretty cool saber combat options - but let's face it - as a game it was very weak. Co-op was a good idea, but badley implemented. Since KotOR II - the only game I've liked was Lego Star Wars - and it looks like that will be the only one I'll like for a while. Was RotS the end of story telling for LucasArts?

DarkStarMojo 08-08-2005 02:18 PM

Honestly, I don't remember seeing a story-based game since KOTORII but I haven't played Republic Commando yet so I can't comment on that. Still, with Empires and Battlefront II being the focus right now, it certainly seems Star Wars games are becoming more about "It's Star Wars BUY IT!!!" than "buy it because it has a good story and it's a good game." Just my 2 cents.

riceplant 08-08-2005 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

Um, why are you linking to this thread from within this thread? Is it to keep simple people occupied in the absence of JK4? ;)

Amidala from Chop Shop 08-08-2005 07:55 PM

VaderR's post was originally a separate thread about the same topic. I posted that link to show him we had just covered that question. Some moderator or admin combined the two threads into one after I posted that. But I'll go back and edit out the link if it confuses you ;)

Saber Obi-Wan 08-17-2005 04:42 PM

I am completely shocked that no one has discovered the pattern to the Jedi Knight Series. ALL OF THEM USE A QUAKE ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!! DF1 used modified Doom engine DF2:JK used Modified Quake 1 or Quake 2 engine I beleive. JO and JA used the Quake 3 engine. I am speculating that The next installment will use Quake 4 Engine, how hard is it for people to see? That is why there are no plans yet. The Engine isn't complete and they are unsure what they are going to implenment and what kind of story to write. For Some odd reason I have never seen anyone speak about Quake and JK together which has seemed odd for me. So I decided to post this. I know its still speculation, but I know there will be another game at least one similar to the Jedi Knight series coming to PC's as well as Next-Gen Consoles :) by 2007 or 2008.

El Sitherino 08-17-2005 07:36 PM

Wow, thank you Captain Obvious. What would we ever do without your wise and noble guidance? Surely we'd all have died a terrible death years ago without you.

Tyrion 08-17-2005 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saber Obi-Wan
I am completely shocked that no one has discovered the pattern to the Jedi Knight Series. ALL OF THEM USE A QUAKE ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!! DF1 used modified Doom engine DF2:JK used Modified Quake 1 or Quake 2 engine I beleive. JO and JA used the Quake 3 engine. I am speculating that The next installment will use Quake 4 Engine, how hard is it for people to see? That is why there are no plans yet. The Engine isn't complete and they are unsure what they are going to implenment and what kind of story to write. For Some odd reason I have never seen anyone speak about Quake and JK together which has seemed odd for me. So I decided to post this. I know its still speculation, but I know there will be another game at least one similar to the Jedi Knight series coming to PC's as well as Next-Gen Consoles :) by 2007 or 2008.

I think Quake 4 is using the Doom 3 engine however, so your prediction seems a little flaky. As well, Quake 4 is being developed by Raven, who also makes the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series. So they're too busy right now to do another project.

And don't mind Insane Sith. He's just sad at the fact his soul died a long time ago. Isn't that right, Sithy?

DarkStarMojo 08-17-2005 09:24 PM

Yes, Quake IV is using a modified Doom 3 engine. The main flaw with this pattern (others have made similar conclusions in other threads, by the way) is that while the DF and JK engines were similar to the Doom and Quake 2 engines they were not the same. Both were developed in-house by LucasArts. The Dark Forces engine was called the Jedi Engine and Jedi Knight's was called the Sith Engine. While it is possible for a new JK game to use a modified Doom 3 (Quake IV) engine, that's yet to be seen.

Oh, I'm sure InsaneSith has a soul. He's just... well... an Insane Sith. :) :giggle1: Yeah. I know. My jokes are lame. Pay no attention to my uncontrollable silliness. I mean nothing by it.

M@nd@lori@n 08-17-2005 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaderR
Does Lucas Arts have this in the developers hands yet or?
Loved Jedi Outcast and Academy so....what's next? Taken into account the great ideas they should implement these into the next series along with a new graphic engine, but which do you guys think would make for the best engine?

VaderR

I think the unreal engine,it plays well over the net.

acdcfanbill 08-17-2005 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saber Obi-Wan
I am completely shocked that no one has discovered the pattern to the Jedi Knight Series. ALL OF THEM USE A QUAKE ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!! DF1 used modified Doom engine DF2:JK used Modified Quake 1 or Quake 2 engine I beleive. JO and JA used the Quake 3 engine. I am speculating that The next installment will use Quake 4 Engine, how hard is it for people to see? That is why there are no plans yet. The Engine isn't complete and they are unsure what they are going to implenment and what kind of story to write. For Some odd reason I have never seen anyone speak about Quake and JK together which has seemed odd for me. So I decided to post this. I know its still speculation, but I know there will be another game at least one similar to the Jedi Knight series coming to PC's as well as Next-Gen Consoles :) by 2007 or 2008.

firstly, Dark Forces and Dark Forces 2 didnt use an engine that was in any way remotely related to any of id's engines. secondly, the main reason that jk2/ja used q3 engine was because 1) Raven the developer was very familiar with id tech as they had been building games off id engines since the early ninties. and 2) Raven had adapted Q3A engine for use in Sof2 (sof used q2 engine incidentally) and it was very easy for them to move most of the important parts of the engine over to the JK2 project and leave off some of their unneeded aditions like the ghoul2 dismemberment system and such.

that said, the possibility of the next Jedi Knight game using a id based engine depends a lot on who is developing it i think. if it is developed by Raven or a company that uses id engines, it will most likely be id based, if not, it might be unreal, crytek, lith, or proprietary, who knows.

Nokill 08-19-2005 05:01 AM

look on some of the othere jk4 rumor treaths i have been telling this to long stop making so many topics ow and it also says when the new game comes :P

FinnBoy 08-20-2005 02:48 AM

It would be great to have new Jedi Knight game. Well it must become better than these earlier parts. I dont have JA, but I would buy it if I could find one. They should like take JO Multiplayer n JA Singleplayer, mx em together n create something new n good with that.

Kurgan 08-20-2005 05:31 AM

WARNING: Nitpicking ahead!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saber Obi-Wan
I am completely shocked that no one has discovered the pattern to the Jedi Knight Series. ALL OF THEM USE A QUAKE ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!! DF1 used modified Doom engine DF2:JK used Modified Quake 1 or Quake 2 engine I beleive.

I'm afraid not. Dark Forces used it's own engine (Jedi), JK1 and MotS used a custom engine called "Sith." Only JK2 and JA use a modified Quake3 engine.
Every other game in the series has used an engine created in-house by LucasArts (there was a rumor at one time that LA decompiled Doom's code in order to see how to make Dark Forces, but that was never proven and probably never will be).

What I think you meant to say is that Raven Software doesn't create their own engines, they use iD software liscensed engines for their FPS (and rare non-FPSes like Heretic II) games.

Quote:

JO and JA used the Quake 3 engine. I am speculating that The next installment will use Quake 4 Engine, how hard is it for people to see?
Quake4 isn't an engine. Q4 uses Doom3. I would expect Raven to use an iD Software engine for their next FPS, but we have no guarentee that Raven would be doing the next JK game (if it ever happens). For all we know, LucasArts might decide to do such a game on Unreal tech with a brand new group. We can only guess at this point.

In any case, regardless of who makes it, it would take years to develope, since it would likely either be on a brand new engine or an engine that hasn't had a Jedi game on it yet (the only commercially liscensed engine that's had a Jedi game on it so far has been Quake3).

Quote:

That is why there are no plans yet. The Engine isn't complete and they are unsure what they are going to implenment and what kind of story to write. For Some odd reason I have never seen anyone speak about Quake and JK together which has seemed odd for me. So I decided to post this. I know its still speculation, but I know there will be another game at least one similar to the Jedi Knight series coming to PC's as well as Next-Gen Consoles :) by 2007 or 2008.
If it was in development we'd at least have heard a rumor about it by now. At this point any "news" of JK4 is as legit as any news of Republic Commando 2. In other words: fan speculation, not facts.

Back in the good ol' days people talked about Quake2 vs. JK to the point that there was a debate forum (no connection to JediKnight.net, which was long before LucasForums ever existed) devoted specifically to the subject. Evil Ash, Nax, myself, Randy Flagg and a few others participated, and had some lively discussions. ;) One guy even did a research paper on it for his school and showed it to us. At the time MotS was coming out Q2 was the media favorite FPS, even though it seemed like the only thing revolutionary about it at the time was the graphics (though admittedly the lack of dedicated servers did hurt JK/MotS which otherwise felt the superior game to us).

Little did we forsee way back in 1998 that LucasArts would get a third party company (Raven Software) and a liscensed engine (iD Software) to do the next Jedi game, much less it being any good! ;) Back then LucasArts wouldn't dream of such a thing.

2007-8? To coincide with the theatrical release of the Star Wars trilogy in 3-D and the rumored release of the OT boxed set (and maybe the PT boxed set too while they're at it) on next generation format (HD-DVD or BluRay)? Perhaps. Though I would hate to think of a JK game suffering from "Battlefront syndrome." :P

Speculate all you want, that's the purpose of these threads. No news is good news I guess. If the new game is as good or better than JK2/JA on a better engine I'm all for it. I just hope the "honorz codez" and abusive mods are purged from everyone's systems by then. ;P

-BLaCKouT- 08-20-2005 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurgan
I just hope the "honorz codez" and abusive mods are purged from everyone's systems by then. ;P

Kurgan, as long as guns exist, there will always be gun-crime. As long as drugs and medication exist, there will always be substance-abuse / misuse.

Hoping for the honorz kiddies to stop playing up is like hoping all the morons in the world will get bored of the internet and move on to something else ;) Ain't gonna happen is it? :p

But yeah, we shouldn't stop hoping.

:) B.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.