LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Land of the Dead (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=227)
-   -   My Grim Fandango 2 Idea! (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=150389)

Santiago C. 08-02-2005 02:57 AM

My Grim Fandango 2 Idea!
 
Hi, I am another of you who wants desperetaly a Grim Fandango 2!!!

I know that rumors say that its not possible due to "the story", but hey, look at my idea! its cool! I hope they hear it and they use it :P

"Well, after Meche and Manny leave kissing in the train it suddendly stops. Like a savotage or something. So Manny thinks, something is going on."

Thats only the beginning, but it a great way to start, I will then post my story.

Bye!

VampireNaomi 08-02-2005 05:16 AM

Are you going to make it a fanfic? I'd really love that, there are so few GF fics around.

Also, the majority of the fans around here are really anti-sequel. If you hang around long enough, they'll infect you with their pessimism. That's what happened to me. ;)

MJ 08-02-2005 09:41 PM

I think that if there ever IS a Grim Fandango 2, it won't deal with Manny or Meche. They've moved on, and should really be let rest in peace :)

ElPistolerro 08-03-2005 01:03 PM

a grim fandango with a new reaper wouldn't be that bad

Sallim 08-03-2005 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ
I think that if there ever IS a Grim Fandango 2, it won't deal with Manny or Meche. They've moved on, and should really be let rest in peace :)

Yep, same here.

VampireNaomi 08-03-2005 03:40 PM

I have to agree with everyone else in this thread. It would be really cool to have a completely new character.

Didn't someone once share an idea of a waiter who served on a ship and then something mysterious started going on? Sallim? Or was it JofaGuht?

Sallim 08-03-2005 03:58 PM

It was definitively not me. But the idea sounds good!

ElPistolerro 08-03-2005 08:34 PM

I make flash animations, and If I new how to script games in flash I'd try make a short spin off or sequel..

Shuz 08-04-2005 09:12 AM

I agree about the new character. I also want it set in El Marrow, that town deserves so much more than what it got in GF1.

JofaGuht 08-04-2005 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VampireNaomi
Didn't someone once share an idea of a waiter who served on a ship and then something mysterious started going on? Sallim? Or was it JofaGuht?

Yeah it was me. Cruising onto a page made over a year ago, it lies in this post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JofaGuht
I'm in the anti-sequel group, but here's my idea.

The game would not have any of the characters from the first. But suppose you're a sailor or something on the cruise package. You could have sort of a disaster thing going. It would be broken up into four parts, but all parts should be on the ship. But the ship is becoming more decrepit and practically a whole new world every year. Your missions could be fixing the boat, and of course finding the renegade bastards who did it in perhaps a familiar port town. That's my idea, Ithink it would be cool. But still I'm against a sequel. I'm much rather waiting for Psychonauts and whatever Tim Schafer has in store next for us.

continued later....

Quote:

Originally Posted by JofaGuht
The ship keeps breaking apart so it keeps getting reconstructed...it's basically a different ship each year. Maybe in being stranded, everybody's hallucinating, so the people who rebuild it make it all abstract and crazy and stuff.

Yeah, it's a pretty sweet idea, if I do say so myself. So if anyone who's really good at making games is listening feel free to make it.

But Santiago has an idea you could work off of. Perhaps the train stops between the two worlds and you start in the 8 1/2th underworld or something cool like that.

MJ 08-05-2005 01:11 AM

Well personally, I think the best sequel would center around a reaper named Miguel Huesos... :)

Shuz 08-05-2005 08:41 AM

I never got around to downloading those radio shows, are they still around?

ElPistolerro 08-05-2005 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ
Well personally, I think the best sequel would center around a reaper named Miguel Huesos... :)


hehe , bones? :D

Santiago C. 08-05-2005 10:39 PM

Santiago C.
 
Hey! Im ashame of you!
How are you going to say that you want a new character? Manny rulz, heīs the best, without manny itīs not Grim Fandango, I think it would suck.

After the train stops, you have to first solve how the hell to get off that train full of workers.
Into de passage you can see a light, once you get out everything in the train station is busted. When you get out you find glottis cryin (like always) and he estarts telling you what happened.
Once you her the story you ask glottis to fix up a funeral car (you can find it downstairs) and once he does it you scape to a new city....for example...hem...Villa Muertos. (deadīs village)...and so on....

Please, donīt ruin my dreams :( Manny is still in my heart!!!!!

MJ 08-07-2005 08:35 PM

Sorry. But really, I have Manny's best interests at heart. I like the fact that the guy can move on... and really the charm and appeal of Grim Fandango lay in the world it was set in, not in the character.

ElPistolerro, you're one of the few people to catch on to that! What would you say if there was another character named Tomas 'The Red' Encion... ?

JofaGuht 08-08-2005 12:49 AM

I'd love to return to the Land of the Dead. I miss it very much. But I believe we should let the characters alone with their respective closure. I love Manny, but trying to rehash him in a sequel wouldn't work.

A prequel with Manny might work though.....

VampireNaomi 08-08-2005 04:37 AM

If there was a new GF game, I'd like it to be a sequel with a new character. I love Manny, but his story has been told. However, I don't think it would be too bad getting a game in which the character's adventure takes place at the same time as Manny's.

We could have an LSA agent who travels around the Land of the Dead on a secret mission from Salvador and gets caught up in other mysteries as he goes. He could easily meet Manny at one point or exchange letters with him or something.

Santiago C. 08-08-2005 07:57 PM

salvador now is dead, i think he canīt be anyones lider.
Ok, in my opinion a GM 2 with another character wouldnīt be grim fandango.
It will another game, with another name, and Iīm afraid of the new character idea, I wouldnt like lucas arts desining a different GF.
They could **** it up.

MJ 08-08-2005 08:03 PM

Yeah, but you have to admit, it's the most likely thing to be done if anything.

A new character and a new name is more likely to attract a new audience, while still retaining the old Grim Fandango fans. Because it HAS been a while since Grim Fandango came out. They wouldn't make a game dependent on the previous one for it to make sense... would they?

VampireNaomi 08-09-2005 06:53 AM

Santiago, I meant that the story of the LSA agent could take place at the same time as Manny's journey, so Salvador wouldn't be sprouted yet.

I agree completely with MJ. If we, through some miracle, ever got to see another GF, it would be about a new character exactly because of the reasons you stated.

AdventureLover 08-09-2005 08:51 AM

Out of all the ideas for a sequel to Grim Fandango that I've heard mentioned, I like JofaGuht's idea with the ship the most. I could really see that working.

MJ 08-09-2005 08:57 AM

Really? So the story of a mortal finding his way to the Land of the Dead and being declared the Chosen One who will lead the way to the Gates of the Afterlife holds no interest? :cool:

AdventureLover 08-09-2005 09:17 AM

'Just my opinion, but it sounds a bit cheesy.

MJ 08-09-2005 09:25 AM

Ooooh. Calling Tierra de los Muertos cheesy, eh? Them's fighting words... :)

AdventureLover 08-09-2005 09:47 AM

If you insist..
Swords, Guns, or other?

Tavendale 08-09-2005 10:30 AM

Banjos, I believe, are the traditional duelling weapons of any self-respecting lucasarts forum.

Santiago C. 08-09-2005 02:03 PM

I prefer a hand fight or PULSEADA, thats the best.
Hoho!
Ok, I will hold my opinion. Manny is the best. But if MJ says that the story would happen in another time, why are you naomi talking about a paralel time between manny?
I canīt understand you. But, well, itīs ok, I only want a new Grim Fandango, but I still think IT WOULDNīT BE THE SAME!!!!
Imagine yourself playing with Pinga Duramadre. It wouldnt be that funny.

Manny Rulz!!!!!!!!!

VampireNaomi 08-09-2005 02:35 PM

Erm, I think that the LSA idea could work, but I still agree with MJ's reasoning. Sorry if I was being unclear.

What I don't understand is why GF2 should be the same as the original. What's the fun in that? We can always play Manny's adventure again and again. Something entirely fresh would be nice.

Besides, the ending of the original game was perfect because Manny was able to move on after going through all that. If he was dragged into yet another adventure it would feel like all he accomplished in the first game was for nothing.

But I guess we just have to agree to disagree. :) Especially since it's so unlikely we'll ever see a sequel.

Santiago C. 08-09-2005 10:05 PM

ok, for me the best option would be continuing the game with glottis.

AdventureLover 08-09-2005 10:07 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing Glottis again.

VampireNaomi 08-10-2005 04:07 AM

True, and I'd like to see what happened to Lupe. She must have had a hard time in the middle of the mess Manny left in Rubacava.

Mr Flibble 08-10-2005 03:58 PM

I actually cried at the end of Grim Fandango. Well not really because my brother was watching the cutscene over my shoulder, but I didn't talk much and cried later if memory serves.
(Bye Bye Dignity!)

Anyway, I think the boat idea is pretty good, except that it'd be hard to rebuild a boat whilst sailing. And being confined to a boat would frustrate me.

I think a direct sequel would cheapen anything and everything Manny did in Grim Fandango, and Glottis...as much as I love the guy, I dont think he could be a main character in an adventure game.

Santiago C. 08-11-2005 08:04 PM

Im going to say it as many times as necessary... without Manny is not Grim Fandango.

JofaGuht 08-11-2005 08:49 PM

If there were a sequel, I would like to finally see Puerto Zapato. The beginning of Year 3 was a real tease for a new city.

Blow 08-11-2005 09:48 PM

Quote:

Im going to say it as many times as necessary... without Manny is not Grim Fandango.
Could possibly be Grim Fandango 2 though. I can only see bringing Manny back ruining one of the best games ever. I found myself sympathising with the guy more then any other character in any game and a large number of films. Bringing him back would inevitably disappoint him, therefore it would disappoint me.

MJ 08-11-2005 10:24 PM

Good point. Manny would be bummed if he's delayed getting through to the afterlife.

Mr Flibble 08-12-2005 11:03 AM

I concur.
Its a pity because for some reason, Manny is quite possibly the best character I've ever encountered in a game.
Perhaps its because he's so rounded and developed, and likeable. And the accent, I love that accent. Without the accent a lot of his jokes just don't work.
Oh yes. And his subtle blend of slapstick humour and deadpan satire.
"I just locked an open door. Strange, yet symbolically compelling."

Santiago C. 08-12-2005 09:59 PM

see? that is what we are talking about! Manny rulz, he is the best character ever (but I can recall Guybrush Threepwood between others) but, he is the best.
Imagine...Manny is going to reborn...another baby in the world, lost forever. I prefer Manny having more problems than another sucky life. What if he regrets to becamoe human just for the fact that human causes destruction and poverty, hunger and sufferin?
I think the game could gain a deeper atmosphere.

Hey, Iīm Argentinian...Mannyīs voice in spanish is awesome. Today I was just listening to the soundtrack with some friends remembering old times.

See ya!

sjack 08-12-2005 10:11 PM

I've got mixed feelings about a GF2. If Shafer was involved, I'd be all for it... the man hasn't let us down yet. If it was just LucasArts, I'd wonder if they haven't already driven off all the people talented enough to make it work. Shafer hasn't done a sequel to his own works yet, and I somewhat doubt he'd team up with LucasArts again to do one.

JofaGuht 08-12-2005 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santiago C.
.Imagine...Manny is going to reborn...another baby in the world, lost forever. I prefer Manny having more problems than another sucky life. What if he regrets to becamoe human just for the fact that human causes destruction and poverty, hunger and sufferin?
I think the game could gain a deeper atmosphere.

Um.... That's a bit out there for GF. If you want to stay true to the characters so much, then you should stay true to the world and its tone as well. What you're talking sounds more like a Whedonverse virtual continuation....


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.