LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Prequel Trilogy (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=439)
-   -   Old Clone troopers vs. Stormtroopers. (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=151483)

Pho3nix 08-27-2005 07:19 AM

Old Clone troopers vs. Stormtroopers.

Generally, which ones do you think look better ?
IMO the old Clone Trooper, like the ones we saw in ep.3.
The markings are just awesome and the overall look is übercool. The normal white Stormtrooper is pretty boring.

Prime 08-27-2005 11:05 AM

I will always love stormtroopers the best. :)

Mike Windu 08-27-2005 02:21 PM

I like the EP3 Clones.

Jeff 08-28-2005 10:30 AM

I think the episode 3 clones have the best uniforms, but the stormtroopers are definately my favorite just because they're from the originals.

Prime 08-28-2005 12:57 PM

Yeah, ARC Troopers are pretty cool...

McCusto 08-28-2005 01:13 PM

Episode III Clonetroopers rock. Especially Commander Bacara and Gree

Jan Gaarni 08-29-2005 12:27 PM

Stormtroopers.

El Sitherino 08-29-2005 02:46 PM

I like the Ep3 clones and Stormtroopers equally.

Prime 08-29-2005 03:20 PM

Way to sit on the fence...

Bastila 08-30-2005 08:44 AM

I like the clone troopers more i think as they look better, but then the stormtroopers are so great but i think is clones just as they have all different uniforms really.

Leviathan 08-30-2005 10:22 AM

I consider Episode III's Clone Troopers better, because they seem to be more efficient and gifted at blasters' use than Stormies... :p

El Sitherino 08-30-2005 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prime
Way to sit on the fence...

It's a gift.

ChAiNz.2da 08-31-2005 06:48 AM

I like the "look" of the ARC Troopers best, but my loyalty as far as being my favorite must stand with the 'original' (ep. IV, V, VI) Stormtroopers...

Leviathan 08-31-2005 08:46 AM

What ARC troopers do you prefer, ChAiNz' ? (As they're not all identical...)

ChAiNz.2da 08-31-2005 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leviathan
What ARC troopers do you prefer, ChAiNz' ? (As they're not all identical...)

oh great.. call me out.. the one who's possibly the most clueless of the bunch :xp: hehehe..

uhh.. the "blue" one from The Clone Wars ;)

This One

Leviathan 08-31-2005 09:28 AM

Do you know if there're other amor's color for ARC troopers ? (Except blue and red)

DarthSion101 08-31-2005 03:37 PM

I think The episode 3 clonetroopers look cooler, especially Gree, and Neyo, but the OT Stormtroopers, still hold a special place in my heart.

TK-8252 09-01-2005 06:11 AM

RotS clones, by far. They got all the good stuff...

Nom_Anor 09-02-2005 12:06 PM

The EP3 Clone troopers have better weapons but the old Storm Troopers have better armor and beter asthetics the the Clone Troopers.

Kurgan 09-10-2005 12:41 PM

Just going by the movies, the ones in the prequels simply have larger numbers and better equipment (even if the OT walkers are better, they have fewer of them and less support vehicles and equipment).

The best Stormtroopers we've seen in the classic trilogy are the ones that go to Tatooine to look for the droids. We don't see a single one of them killed, but granted, we don't see most of their "battles." They were the best equipped and seemed the most elite.

The Stormtroopers are supposed to be better, but overall we see the Prequel era troopers in a much better light.

Then again Lucas says that the "modern" Stormtroopers aren't all from the same genetic stock of Jango (which supposedly made them all so uniformly great). So they could be better or worse. But ultimately the gear and equipment is the most important thing, and of course training.

As to the armor being "better" that's a matter of interpretation. On the one hand, the OT armor might be said to be "better" if it's more comfortable or lighter or something. But in terms of protection it doesn't seem to be any better. Blasters from both eras easily kill troopers. Are the blasters in the OT significantly stronger than the ones in the PT era? Who knows. But we do know that the handguns used both eras are adequate for taking out the armored troopers of that era. The armor doesn't seem that worthwhile for combat protection, at least not in the movies. That doesn't mean it couldn't be useful in other ways (like identification, NCB protection, etc) but you get what I'm saying I hope.

TK-8252 09-10-2005 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurgan
The best Stormtroopers we've seen in the classic trilogy are the ones that go to Tatooine to look for the droids. We don't see a single one of them killed, but granted, we don't see most of their "battles." They were the best equipped and seemed the most elite.

Han shot one of them. And according to EU, another was shot in friendly-fire.

I'd say the best action the Stormtroopers were in was boarding the Tantive IV.

El Sitherino 09-10-2005 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-8252

It did establish them as a scary force, making the heroes seem truely gifted in their ability to take them out.

Leviathan 09-11-2005 11:32 AM

Quote:

I think you know those Stormtroopers were especially trained for this kind of assault. So, it isn't really surprising if they prefectly achieved their work aboard the "Tantive IV"...
(I could say the same thing about Sandtroopers, in Mos Eisley...)

Pho3nix 09-11-2005 11:35 AM

Yeah, Why the hell hasn't Lucas revealed MORE information about Storm Troopers. Who cares about where for example Jar Jar grew up. I wan't to know about Stormtroopers/ Clone Troopers everday life goddamnit !

El Sitherino 09-11-2005 02:27 PM

Mostly they sit around drinking Corellian ale watching Rancorball.

TK-8252 09-11-2005 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsaneSith
Mostly they sit around drinking Corellian ale watching Rancorball.

We need to invent that on Earth.

Leviathan 09-12-2005 01:48 PM

What ? Corellian ale or "RancorBall" ? :p

Astrotoy7 09-22-2005 01:33 PM

yeah, the clonies from ep3 are awesome....especially commander cody and bacara, though my all time faves are the snowtroopers from ESB.....love those long helmets !

mtfbwya

Leviathan 09-24-2005 02:46 PM

So, you must like Commander Bacara's units... :p

Astrotoy7 09-25-2005 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leviathan
So, you must like Commander Bacara's units... :p

Indeed I do, I truly giggled when that conehead Ki-Adi Mundi got taken out...Ive never liked him :p

mtfbwya

Leviathan 09-25-2005 12:39 PM

Astro', if I were you, I'd buy SWBF II when it's come out... :p
You'll understand why when you'll see the available Republic units... ;)

Kurgan 09-28-2005 10:06 PM

Quote:

Han shot one of them. And according to EU, another was shot in friendly-fire.

Oh you're right, or he got knocked over from shrapnel. Forgot about that!

Was the "friendly fire" that BS story about how the "look sir, droids!" guy felt guilty about all the murdering he'd been doing and killed his commanding officer in order to escape and join the Rebels? ;)

As to the Tantive IV action, I don't see what was so great about the Troopers. Sure, they showed nerves of steal moving into that deathtrap, but other than their apparent ability to see through smoke and having a larger force, it doesn't show them as particularly skilled, just disciplined. The Tatooine troopers show their relentlessness, admittedly offscreen against weak targets, but it just shows better their utterly ruthelss pursuit of their goals, plus you can see they are loaded down with special gear.

But, in terms of showing them IN action I suppose you have a point. ;)

The courage of the Stormtroopers gets the better of them in ROTJ when they race off into the woods chasing a few teddy bears, only to get ambushed by said teddies. ;)

master_skywalke 10-03-2005 02:18 PM

I actually don't know it, I like both Stormtroopers and EPIII Clonetroopers (not the EPII ones, those are http://specs.tweak.to/img/smiles/pukey.gif)Though I more like the 501'st EPIII Clonetroopers then the 501'st Stormies.

MachineCult 10-03-2005 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurgan
the "look sir, droids!" guy felt guilty about all the murdering he'd been doing and killed his commanding officer

lol, he felt guilty about all the murdering so he killed someone?
Thats EU for you...

TK-8252 10-03-2005 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachineCult
lol, he felt guilty about all the murdering so he killed someone?
Thats EU for you...

Killed the person who ordered him to murder. Doesn't sound too unreasonable.

MachineCult 10-03-2005 07:32 PM

We aren't talking about Battlefront TK, you don't have to argue with me.

TK-8252 10-03-2005 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachineCult
We aren't talking about Battlefront TK, you don't have to argue with me.

I'm an equal-opportunity argue...er.

MachineCult 10-03-2005 07:34 PM

you're a FAST equal opportunity arguer!!
It took you less than a minute to reply lol.

Kurgan 10-04-2005 04:18 PM

Quote:

Killed the person who ordered him to murder. Doesn't sound too unreasonable.

He should have killed his superior back before he killed the Lar's, or before he killed the Jawas... oh well, better late than never.

Maybe he was hoping he'd avoid a war crimes trial by the Rebels if he killed some Imps on his way out...?

Brottor 10-05-2005 07:28 PM

Personally for me I like the Stormtroopers better. Something about the mostly white uniforms seems badass. Perhaps I would have liked the clone troopers better if they had cloned this guy: www.ditty-o.com