LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   The Cantina (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=444)
-   -   Could Lightsabers ever become reality? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=156154)

Nedak 11-29-2005 11:31 PM

Could Lightsabers ever become reality?

Sence SW is Si-FI maybe in a few 100 (or less) years technology could become so advanced that we could make something like or similar to a lightsaber. Please tell me what you think.:lsduel:

Kain 11-30-2005 02:32 AM

I wouldn't doubt it could be done eventually. But I'm sure its nothing that the top warfare developers are looking to make either.

Darth_Terros 11-30-2005 01:21 PM

Nope its just Sci-fi nonsense.

http://www.exn.ca/starwars/lightsaber.cfm

Abit about why you couldnt have a real lightsaber here

But i guess the real problem is you can really loop a laser like how a lightsaber works.

El Sitherino 11-30-2005 01:33 PM

It's not impossible, just not possible at this moment.

RC-1162 11-30-2005 02:27 PM

you mean plausible.
and i think if people just put their minds to it, they can create one.

El Sitherino 11-30-2005 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC 1162
you mean plausible.

No, I accidently hit the "l" key.

Anyway, chances are if a "lightsaber" is made it won't be a laser, per se, but rather something like a plasma torch.

There's also the factor of if we find a way to be able to contain the matter that is light. Then who knows what limitations we'll break down.

The Doctor 11-30-2005 05:04 PM

If they could learn how to generate an invisible energy barrier that could be retracted at will, and superheat it, it could work. But that kind of technology (basically a Star Trek like forcefield) is far beyond human capacity at the moment.

Darth_Terros 11-30-2005 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Doctor
If they could learn how to generate an invisible energy barrier that could be retracted at will, and superheat it, it could work. But that kind of technology (basically a Star Trek like forcefield) is far beyond human capacity at the moment.

Doctor i applaud you!

Alkonium 11-30-2005 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by han sala
Sence SW is Si-FI maybe in a few 100 (or less) years technology could become so advanced that we could make something like or similar to a lightsaber. Please tell me what you think.:lsduel:

You're forgetting that in the Star Wars galaxy, they could travel to the other side of the galaxy and back in mere moments for twenty-five thousand years. Keep that in mind.

The Doctor 11-30-2005 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_Terros
Doctor i applaud you!

Thank you. And you spelt my name right! As far as I can remember, everybody either spells it Docter or calls me Doc.

To add to my earlier post:
Since the wuestion was whether they could exist in 100 years, then the answer is yes, maybe they could use something similar to what I described above in 100 years.

darthzeta 11-30-2005 07:31 PM

umm yes light sabers could be real just not now . and hey it could of been a plasma torch instead of a laser. it was a seber which produced light and could cut though matter. also if you look closely they have a shadow in the original movies. which means science is advancing in just 30 years beyond imagination.

{HaD}DARTH MAUL 12-07-2005 03:36 PM

well actually the U.S. military has lasers that can go from point A to point B, so technically we have "lightsabers" but it is just a matter of concentrating the beam and enabling a beam that is self stabalized which would enable it to look like a sword.

Pho3nix 12-08-2005 02:26 PM

Yes, Definately.

Jeff 12-10-2005 12:35 PM

No.

d5c 12-12-2005 05:33 PM

yes but in 256 years not 100 or less(not that your wrong but tats my therory)

JediConsularAD 12-12-2005 05:49 PM

no it is not possible to create a lightsaber at this time but i do not know about the future, the basic problems is that the laser would need something to reflect off of and also if you did that the laser would mereley be a torch and only have aesthetic value.

Commander Obi-Wan 12-12-2005 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
No.

As Darth Moeller said, NO.

Cercueil 12-12-2005 07:11 PM

you cant say, "no" definitivly. in a few centuries who knows what we will be creating as im sure, our forefathers would have chucked at the thought of some of the things we have know and wrote them off (and burned you at the stake for it, no doubt) even mentioning the ability to fly, travel great distances in mear hours or minutes, adn even "electronics."

lets try not to dismiss advancements in thought as they only bring us backwards.

zerted 12-13-2005 05:50 PM

The closest thing we have towards lightsbers (and its pretty close). http://science.slashdot.org/article..../132211&tid=14

Hallucination 12-13-2005 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That article in the above post
Stick your finger in its path and you only feel a cool breeze,

I'd like to see that deflecting laser bullets and blocking other 2-inch-long laser pens.

PoiuyWired 12-16-2005 08:18 PM

Well, I don't see how the deflection part would work though.

Maybe a Laser Blade can be done in the future, but it is not going to be really practical.

Its like how the Japanese try to build real giant robots... as cool as they are most are not practical. So yes in the future we may be able to build a gundam/vultron... but it is kinda useless other than the cool factor.

That having said, I would still want them :3 Cause, carrying a red saber is just cool.

edlib 12-16-2005 09:43 PM

Unless you also possess the force powers of a Jedi, (even if they did ever manage to create one,) it will be useless as a combat weapon in any future human conflict you can imagine.

Most reputable scientists and physicists say that building such a thing (a real Star Wars-type lightsaber, that is...) is utterly impossible however, in the universe we currently inhabit. The physics just simply don't allow it.

El Sitherino 12-16-2005 10:30 PM

Then again they also don't allow for super massive black holes, yet those exist. Which is why we can't exactly give an absolute no.

edlib 12-16-2005 10:41 PM

Fair enough.

But I can't imagine a whole lot of dedicated research and development on the lightsaber front in the near, or even distant future. So even if they turn out to be allowed theoretically, I still have serious doubts that we will ever see one.

Not a highly practical weapon technology,.. unless, like I said, you DO just happen to have Jedi reflexes.

TSR 12-17-2005 06:00 AM

as edlib said, unless you have the reflexes of a jedi, then youd do more damage to the yourself than to the enemy... IF they were made of course. The jedi always know where the blade of their sabre is, but theonly time youd know where it is is when you feel it slice your abdomen in half when you try to do some sort of stylish spin or something

El Sitherino 12-17-2005 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edlib
Fair enough.

But I can't imagine a whole lot of dedicated research and development on the lightsaber

Indeed, unless some eccentric Star Wars fan funds it. XD

Quote:

Originally Posted by edlib
Not a highly practical weapon technology,.. unless, like I said, you DO just happen to have Jedi reflexes.

Indeed, which is why I think if we had something even remotely close to a lightsaber, it won't be so much a weapon as it would be a nifty little tool.

Darca Lar 12-18-2005 04:08 PM

Im not saying it cant be done, but in the next 20 to 100 years, i extremely doubt that a lightsaber at least how we picture it will not be even close to being made. Maybe in like 2 more centuries or so, maybe...just maybe a lightsaber shall appear as if from nowhere and we wont be around to enjoy it in all its glory.

Darth_Death 01-08-2006 04:14 PM

i have herd of some nut cases who really have tried to make lightsabers and they all hurt themselves in the process

getting of the subject but i dont no about u but my singniture is not popping up with my reply

Nedak 01-08-2006 08:41 PM

Maybe in the future they will have somthing that deflects bullets like a lightsaber shield but the shield can not hurt you in any way.

MachineCult 01-11-2006 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by han sala
Maybe in the future they will have somthing that deflects bullets like a lightsaber shield but the shield can not hurt you in any way.

No, the bullet would just crumple and fall to the ground, like bulletproof glass, theres no way a bullet could be deflected like a blaster shot from a Lightsaber.

CommanderKane 01-11-2006 02:57 PM

I read in Popular Science magazine a few years ago that some Massachusetts Institute of Technology students got together and made somewhat of a workable prototype just for the fun of it.

Still, the technology is not that far off.

MachineCult 01-11-2006 03:08 PM

Yes it is.

Fangman 01-17-2006 05:36 PM

I decided to do some looking around to see if Lightsabres were possible, came up with this diagram.

http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM...gA-C.large.gif

This would show how to create a "laser" which traveled in a straight line, and ended at one point. Only problem is, it talks about the Blade core being an element call Metachlorium. Such an element doesn't exist. I tried to look it up, and failed. However, it's Atomic number is for a theoretical element called Untrioctium , which is belived to be the "final element". I don't know anything about "plasmons", although i'll try to find something on it.

Such an element could have some interesting properties, and would definatly generate a lot of energy of any light put through it. The Untrioctium laser would be bound to give off a lot of heat, and energy to "push back" anything it comes in contact with, or more likly, incinerate.

Such a "blade" could be wrapped in a force field with a Positive charge. If strong enough, this could deflect most bullets (the charge on an air-born bullet is Positive due to friction). If 2 of these blades were to come in contact, provided the charge was strong enough, they would repel.

We can easily Create a Negative field (EM field) and a positive field is a bit more difficult, but possible.

I don't think it's impossible to develop a Lightsabre like that in the movies. Just imagine what it would be like trying to tell Ancient greeks that you could split the atom, which they "knew" (note the "") was the smallest partical in the universe, they would never belive you. Yet it is common knowledge that you can. So who knows what we will be able to do in the next 100 years.

I haven't done much physics or chemistry in the last year, so feel free to correct any errors i have made. I'm not saying this is the way, just giving you something to think about. I will do some more reading on this, and correct any errors i think i may have made.

Of course, you could try to do what this Couple did...

Darth_Terros 01-17-2006 05:39 PM

Something about it doesnt sit right with me looks like a hoax.

Alkonium 01-17-2006 05:43 PM

Well, that would work better that how I was planning on building a lightsaber(replacing the bulb of a flashlight with an amethyst crystal).

Fangman 01-17-2006 05:43 PM

Quote:

Something about it doesnt sit right with me looks like a hoax.

That thought has just occured to me, just gonna check out the main site for that diagram.

Darth_Terros 01-17-2006 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alkonium
Well, that would work better that how I was planning on building a lightsaber(replacing the bulb of a flashlight with an amethyst crystal).

I dunno thats a pretty sound idea! PM me the results!

Alkonium 01-17-2006 05:47 PM

Quote:

I dunno thats a pretty sound idea! PM me the results!

Ok, I'll post them once I get a flashlight to test it with.

Nedak 01-17-2006 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alkonium
Ok, I'll post them once I get a flashlight to test it with.

Don't forget the batteries!

mrGoodsoup 01-18-2006 10:06 AM

I've always wanted to ask a reputable sci-fi nerd-gathering one question about light-sabers... Would not a modern (led-based) shotgun blast totaly own a lightsaber wearing fruitcake? (not Chuck Norris and/or Vader)