LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   T3-M4's Astromech Droid Center (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=646)
-   -   Kotor Tool.......For linux (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=157801)

madog 01-02-2006 01:35 AM

Kotor Tool.......For linux
 
will it ever be real?

Det. Bart Lasiter 01-02-2006 01:39 AM

Check this article. However, if Fred Tetra has no objections, I may be able to write some of the resource extraction/editing parts of KT in C++/Qt and release it for Linux/Mac/Unix.

madog 01-04-2006 10:54 PM

sweet

Sikon 01-08-2006 02:04 AM

Did anyone actually manage to install it under Linux?

Det. Bart Lasiter 01-08-2006 03:22 PM

I doubt it will work, even the Linux version of .NET probably wouldn't support KT, as I think that only 'System' namespaces are supported with it, and KT uses a the 'Microsoft.Win32' namespace to locate the KotOR directories via the registry. I'll try it today though.

Jeff 01-08-2006 07:42 PM

I'd love to have KT working for Linux, as besides some games and photoshop of course I run Ubuntu-only now. Perhaps it would motivate me to start modding again ;)

Sikon 01-09-2006 12:56 AM

How about writing a KOTOR toolset for Linux from scratch, instead of trying to port KOTOR Tool?

RedHawke 01-09-2006 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sikon
How about writing a KOTOR toolset for Linux from scratch, instead of trying to port KOTOR Tool?

Are you volenteering? :xp:

Realise that KotOR Tool has taken Fred Tetra hundreds of hours to put in it's current state.

Sikon 01-09-2006 02:57 AM

Actually, I am. However, I'm planning to make a set of tools using a shared library for archive access, instead of one big program. And make it open source, of course. I don't see anything difficult about it, as the formats are well-documented. The only question is time.

Det. Bart Lasiter 01-09-2006 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHawke
Realise that KotOR Tool has taken Fred Tetra hundreds of hours to put in it's current state.

The website says 1100.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
I'd love to have KT working for Linux, as besides some games and photoshop of course I run Ubuntu-only now. Perhaps it would motivate me to start modding again

I'm surprised that Photoshop hasn't been released for Linux, it was written in Qt, which can be compiled to Win32, Linux, UNIX, and Mac from the same source (which is also why I switched to it from .NET) .

Sikon 01-09-2006 01:29 PM

By the way, there's a nice project on SourceForge:
http://sf.net/projects/openknights
It's for NWN, but I think most tools will work with KOTOR as well.
Edit: scratch that, they're for Windows... although having source code for nwnnsscomp is nice, nice.

Det. Bart Lasiter 01-09-2006 05:30 PM

^^^^
You could have gotten that at Torlack's site (the guy who wrote it, along with the original NWN tools, ie the NWN Explorer). It's http://torlack.com .

Sikon 01-09-2006 08:42 PM

That site provides only Windows binaries. At least I couldn't find the sources.

rgdelta 01-09-2006 08:46 PM

It is the link on the left called NWN Tools Source

madog 01-28-2006 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmac7142
I'm surprised that Photoshop hasn't been released for Linux, it was written in Qt, which can be compiled to Win32, Linux, UNIX, and Mac from the same source (which is also why I switched to it from .NET) .

Gimp is better anyway

Darkkender 02-01-2006 01:12 PM

I've been actively working with the most Recent WINE release and some of the WINE developers to get K1 & K2 running with impunity on Linux. If I can get both of these games to work it may emulate enough of the windows calls to allow the .NET framework to run as well and I can test KT after that.

Sikon 02-03-2006 12:27 PM

First of all, it's Wine, not WINE. Second, the .NET Framework doesn't run under Wine, but there is a separate project called Mono, which is a free independent implementation of .NET. The bad news is, KOTOR Tool, being a rather sophisticated Windows Forms application, doesn't work under Mono.

Darkkender 02-03-2006 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sikon
First of all, it's Wine, not WINE. Second, the .NET Framework doesn't run under Wine, but there is a separate project called Mono, which is a free independent implementation of .NET. The bad news is, KOTOR Tool, being a rather sophisticated Windows Forms application, doesn't work under Mono.

I've already gotten a few of my .NET framework apps to run under WINE. These apps use .NET framework calls for the apps -- I know they were sample .NET programs I programmed myself from a .NET programming manual.(They don't compile without .NET Framework 1.1 installed.) I haven't tried KT yet because without the games working there the tools are of no use.

As to refering to WINE as WINE is because I have seen it in many forms in it's releases, readme's, and across the web which include;
Wine
W.I.N.E.
WINE
WinE
So I have adopted WINE as my way of referencing it.(Not worth correcting peoples spelling of something so minor when there are many ways of refering to it.)

Jeff 02-03-2006 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkkender
I've been actively working with the most Recent WINE release and some of the WINE developers to get K1 & K2 running with impunity on Linux. If I can get both of these games to work it may emulate enough of the windows calls to allow the .NET framework to run as well and I can test KT after that.

I would love you if you could get it running under linux.

Sikon 02-04-2006 10:14 AM

http://www.winehq.com/
"Wine" is official.

ChAiNz.2da 02-04-2006 10:22 AM

Can we please drop the "WINE" / "Wine" debate?! Frankly, it doesn't matter as long as someone knows what the heck you're talking about..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkkender
(Not worth correcting peoples spelling of something so minor when there are many ways of refering to it.)

^^^
agreed ;)

and if you'd like to get technical.. it's spelled "Wine" but their logo is in all caps :rolleyes:

You're both 'right' :xp: end of discussion...

Det. Bart Lasiter 02-06-2006 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkkender
I've already gotten a few of my .NET framework apps to run under WINE. These apps use .NET framework calls for the apps -- I know they were sample .NET programs I programmed myself from a .NET programming manual.(They don't compile without .NET Framework 1.1 installed.) I haven't tried KT yet because without the games working there the tools are of no use.

That may be just because you got .NET IL to run on Linux, however, the 'Microsoft' namespaces use Windows API-specific features that may not be able to be duplicated, and I know KT uses at least the 'Microsoft.Win32' namespace.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.