LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Prequel Trilogy (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=439)
-   -   who is quinlan vos? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=159953)

Darth_Death 02-04-2006 08:23 PM

who is quinlan vos?
 
quinlan vos is a realy cool charecter and u can find more about him at http://starwars.wikicities.com/wiki/Quinlan_Vos but i found this still clip on wiki with him appearing in the first movie. i no wiki can be unreliable at times but why is this guy appearing in episode I?

when u go to the link i put u will see a yellow stripe across this guys face in all the picture so thats how i no its him.


heres thip still clip...
http://starwars.wikicities.com/image...ntomMenace.jpg

Darth_Terros 02-05-2006 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_Death
quinlan vos is a realy cool charecter and u can find more about him at http://starwars.wikicities.com/wiki/Quinlan_Vos but i found this still clip on wiki with him appearing in the first movie. i no wiki can be unreliable at times but why is this guy appearing in episode I?

when u go to the link i put u will see a yellow stripe across this guys face in all the picture so thats how i no its him.


heres thip still clip...
http://starwars.wikicities.com/image...ntomMenace.jpg

Basically Quinlan came from that guy who at the time of episode 1s release wasnt named it was only afterwards that Darkhorse comics took that character and made him into quinlan.

Personally i love the vos character he's great and i highly suggest anyone who is interested in him pick up the some back issues of Republic.

TK-8252 02-05-2006 04:15 AM

That's not him.

MachineCult 02-05-2006 07:37 AM

Yes it is TK what a useless post.
I also love the Vos character Terros and you can see him in some of Dark Horses Clone Wars novels, and it looks like he's going to be a big part of the new one which will be released later this year.

Darth_Terros 02-05-2006 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachineCult
Yes it is TK what a useless post.
I also love the Vos character Terros and you can see him in some of Dark Horses Clone Wars novels, and it looks like he's going to be a big part of the new one which will be released later this year.

I'm quite excited to see what happens to vos after the purge :D

MachineCult 02-05-2006 08:50 AM

I was very excited but i've found out now, lol.

Darth_Terros 02-05-2006 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachineCult
I was very excited but i've found out now, lol.

Oh? do tell! is issue 83 of republic out or something?

MachineCult 02-05-2006 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_Terros
Oh? do tell! is issue 83 of republic out or something?

No, no it's in Volume 8 of the Clone Wars graphic novel series, here is the cover image.
I read about what happened here and it looks like it's true because of the images depicting what the text is saying.

EDIT: lol, just seen the cover of Republic issue 83.

Darth_Terros 02-05-2006 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachineCult
No, no it's in Volume 8 of the Clone Wars graphic novel series, here is the cover image.
I read about what happened here and it looks like it's true because of the images depicting what the text is saying.

EDIT: lol, just seen the cover of Republic issue 83.

oh yeah but that doesnt really tell you what happens after the purge which lasted all the way up to 1BBY.

all we know is that he doesnt die during the initial clone back stab.

TK-8252 02-05-2006 03:28 PM

That's not him.

Darth_Terros 02-05-2006 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-8252

Acutally they made it him i think it one of the republic comics both he and aayla mention going under cover on tatooine.

MachineCult 02-05-2006 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_Terros
oh yeah but that doesnt really tell you what happens after the purge which lasted all the way up to 1BBY.

all we know is that he doesnt die during the initial clone back stab.

I think he survives it completely, simply because of the clothes he is wearing on the cover image which are more merc/jedi and they are not the robes he was wearing in the post order 66 picture.
So basically I think the cover image is post order 66 so he survived long enough to get a new outfit.

Darth_Terros 02-05-2006 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachineCult
I think he survives it completely, simply because of the clothes he is wearing on the cover image which are more merc/jedi and they are not the robes he was wearing in the post order 66 picture.
So basically I think the cover image is post order 66 so he survived long enough to get a new outfit.

That pictures the cover of Republic 77 which was before the purge plus he never really wore jedi robes.

As for The guy on Tatooine not being vos heres a pic of him remembering being there.

http://img315.imageshack.us/img315/269/vostat3la.jpg

MachineCult 02-05-2006 04:09 PM

He totally did wear Jedi robes.
Robes, robes, and more robes!!!

Darth_Terros 02-05-2006 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachineCult
He totally did wear Jedi robes.
Robes, robes, and more robes!!!

What i ment was he didnt really wear them all the time infact you see him more times without them especially when he was infiltrating dooku's inner circle and when he was doing other secret missions for the council.

TK-8252 02-05-2006 04:57 PM

So the official Star Wars databank says it's not him, yet an EU comic says it is?

MachineCult 02-05-2006 06:16 PM

Where does databank say that it is not him? Nowhere.
Where does databank say that it is him? Here.

TK-8252 02-05-2006 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachineCult
Where does databank say that it is not him? Nowhere.
Where does databank say that it is him? Here.

It says that the random guy seen in Mos Espa was used to base the character of Quinlan Vos off of.

Read it more carefully.

MachineCult 02-05-2006 06:34 PM

I knew you would say something like that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_Terros

You can never accept that you are wrong, you made a hasty statement that you won't seem to go back on.
If that isn't Quinlan Vos, then at which point does he appear in The Phantom Menace? Because databank indicates that the EU character Quinlan Vos appeared in the movie.

TK-8252 02-05-2006 09:18 PM

If he was in the movie then the databank would not list him as an EU-only character.

MachineCult 02-05-2006 09:26 PM

*Sigh*
Databank has nothing to say about his being in the movie, he was in it for a second, it's explained in the Behind the scenes section.
On his page the "I" is highlighted, indicating that he was in Episode I, and when you click that, he is listed under the characters who appeared in the movie.

Perhaps you should read it a little more carefully.

Darth_Terros 02-05-2006 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-8252
So the official Star Wars databank says it's not him, yet an EU comic says it is?

And remember as much as you dont like it the EU comics are canon and if they say its him then its him.

TK-8252 02-05-2006 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachineCult
*Sigh*
Databank has nothing to say about his being in the movie, he was in it for a second, it's explained in the Behind the scenes section.

Actually it explains how he ISN'T in the movie in the behind the scenes section. It says that the design for Quinlan Vos was BASED on the random Mos Espa guy. Meaning it's NOT him, but it's the design for Quinlan Vos. That's what it means. It is not saying it's him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachineCult
On his page the "I" is highlighted, indicating that he was in Episode I, and when you click that, he is listed under the characters who appeared in the movie.

And yet in the Quinlan Vos profile, it does not have an entry for him in the movies section, which implies that he was not in any Star Wars movie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachineCult
Perhaps you should read it a little more carefully.

You're misunderstanding what the databank means.

MachineCult 02-06-2006 07:03 AM

OK, so where does this Quinlan Vos who is listed under the characters appear?

TK-8252 02-06-2006 07:38 AM

Under characters?

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/

MachineCult 02-06-2006 08:27 AM

Under characters who appear in Episode I smartass.
http://www.starwars.com/databank/appearance/ep1.html

Prime 02-06-2006 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase Windu
What I want to know is if that is him in TPM then why wasn't he all like "Hey Qui-Gon! What up, dog?" or if Anakin was that close to him why didn't he sense anything special about him and then say something?

Because Jedi don't say, "What up, dog." Duh!

TK-8252 02-06-2006 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachineCult
Under characters who appear in Episode I smartass.
http://www.starwars.com/databank/appearance/ep1.html

That's misleading. Appearance means in the databank that information related to Episode I is in his profile (the behind the scenes tab).

Palpatine_dc 02-06-2006 04:16 PM

I agree with MachineCult and Darth_Terros.
Quinlan Vos is a EU character who is based on the unnamed extra in TPM. In the movie he isn't identified specifically, so in this you have a point, TK-8252. If you only take the movies in account, we just don't know who this extra is. It could be Quinlan Vos, it could be someone comepletly else.

However in EU is implied that this extra is him (Star Wars Republic: Twilight). This is expanding the Star Wars Universe at its most basic level, adding flesh to the movies. I would like to point out another popular EU character was "born" out of the Boonta Eve Classic scenes: Aurra Sing. Those were the earliest expansions into the prequel area and are still very popular.

Conclusion: Taking EU into account,then yes, this is Quinlan Vos in TPM, taking only the movie in account it still could be him, but that is then just speculation. Remember that even GL himself doesn't refrain from using things in the prequels that stem from EU like the name 'Coruscant', Aayla Secura and Quinlan Vos.

Darth_Death 02-06-2006 10:21 PM

when i went to the SW databank on his stat list it said on species part human.
ho could he be part human. is he mix breed or something

http://www.starwars.com/databank/cha...lanvos/?id=bts

Palpatine_dc 02-06-2006 10:27 PM

It says 'near-human' meaning humanoide, not part human.

Kurgan 02-09-2006 03:35 PM

The Star Wars Databank isn't canon!

Kurgan 02-09-2006 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prime
Because Jedi don't say, "What up, dog." Duh!

If it was him though, you'd think that Qui Gon would be like "Ah ha! Another Jedi Knight! Excellent, we're in a bit of a jam here see, can you lend us some money or a ride on your ship so we can get out of here? Or perhaps you can send a message to the Jedi Council for us as this is quite an urgent matter and we're stuck on this backwater planet, etc"

Isn't the EU explanation that at this point Vos has amnesia and doesn't know he's a Jedi or something like that? Still, you'd think Qui Gon or Obi-Wan would sense another Jedi nearby... maybe not. It would seem unusual for a Jedi to be just hanging out on some backwater planet outside the Republic, wouldn't it?

You could also say that ROTS doesn't make it explicit that it's Quinlan Vos, the EU character. Obi-Wan just says "Master Vos" (and it's not like two people in the Star Wars galaxy can't have the same last name, even if there are only 10,000 Jedi). From what I hear, the novel or comic of the movie makes it clear Quinlan is meant and that he gets physically torn apart by an explosion, so it was intended that he died. In any case, a peripheral character almost-cameo of a background extra expanded into an EU character, then mentioned in passing in a G-level source. I could care less about the character, but an interesting situation nonetheless. ;)

If you view this as an Easter Egg (retroactively speaking) then you can just ignore it (like the shoe in the asteroid field or the TIE Fighters chasing an X-Wing on Coruscant). Or you can try a retcon explanation as to why this Jedi is sitting there and doesn't lift a finger to try to help his comrades or even acknowledge them (and vice versa).

Darth_Death 02-09-2006 05:31 PM

i don no if it helps establish anything but here are some pics of Vos
http://www.starwars.com/databank/cha...img/bts_sm.jpg
http://www.starwars.com/databank/cha...img/bts_bg.jpg
Quinlan oversees Jar Jar get beat up ^
http://starwars.wikicities.com/image..._Remembers.png
^this comic explains the amnesia (u can tel he is on tatooine) and after that he knows he is a jedi knight
http://starwars.wikicities.com/image...nVosKiffex.jpg
http://starwars.wikicities.com/image...s_republic.jpg
http://4093.alloforum.com/images/ava...093-122840.jpg
http://starwars.wikicities.com/image...anvosdeath.jpg
Quinlan on Kassykk. ^

PoiuyWired 02-14-2006 04:25 PM

Well, note that in RtoS the "Master Vos" mentioned is definitely Quinlan Vos, given the whereabouts of this "Master Vos"

Darth_Death 02-14-2006 06:40 PM

I know that in Rots they do mention Quinlan Vos but can you specify the scene it is in. I dont remember and I dont have the movie at hand to review it.

MachineCult 02-14-2006 06:55 PM

It's in the scene where Anakin misses the briefings of the outer rim sieges.
You can hear it on this webpage.

Darth_Death 03-04-2006 04:48 PM

I wish that GL put quinlan vos in Rots instead of just mention. I mean before reading it some place i never even new that his name was mentioned. It also would have been great to see another jedi survive the purge because many ( mostly non-star wars fans) thought only yoda and obi-won kenobi had lived.

MachineCult 03-04-2006 06:21 PM

There was a short scene scripted in which he would appear but it was cut just before filming.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.