LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Galactic Discussion (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=586)
-   -   All Planets Are The Same:Taris, Fondor,....take a look! (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=160120)

jake123456 02-07-2006 09:54 PM

All Planets Are The Same:Taris, Fondor,....take a look!

ok if this is how it is going to be in the game than it is outrageous, this screenshots dissapointed me. Take a look throught each of them.

http://www.eaw-fr.com/modules/view_screen.php?n=3703
http://www.eaw-fr.com/modules/view_screen.php?n=3706
http://www.eaw-fr.com/modules/view_screen.php?n=3667
http://www.eaw-fr.com/modules/view_screen.php?n=3732
http://www.sw-eaw.de/galerie/org/738.jpg

Can you see it, this are totally different planets and they look completely the same, as usual a big dissapointment from lucasarts. It is very cheap to make different planets look the same!!

Iamme 02-07-2006 10:05 PM

Wow. That does suck. Don't worry though, mods should be out VERY quickly if those are the final textures.

jake123456 02-07-2006 10:11 PM

don't you think that it is really cheap to use the same background for many maps?

Snafu7 02-07-2006 10:11 PM

My guess is that those are screens from an earlier build of the game, but if those are the final planet textures, I agree with lamme, someone will retexture them as soon as they can.

jake123456 02-07-2006 10:18 PM

I don't think this are the screenshots of an earlier build of the game, i found this recently.
I hate to say it but most probably the planets are going to stay like this.

gstommylee 02-07-2006 10:20 PM

umm the demo was of a december build

jake123456 02-07-2006 10:22 PM

what do you mean the demo, this screenshots are not fro the demo, it doesn't have to do anything with it

Nakatomi2010 02-07-2006 10:26 PM

Yeah... Look at the demo, all the planet surfaces look the same...

This is a textbook example of sarcasm....

In other news, I don't plan on spending all that much time staring at the planets... As long as the land battle differ, I'm all good...

Snafu7 02-07-2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nakatomi2010
In other news, I don't plan on spending all that much time staring at the planets... As long as the land battle differ, I'm all good...

^^^
Agree with that, as long as the game is good, I'm happy.

lukeiamyourdad 02-07-2006 10:37 PM

Meh, more or less bothers me...it's pretty insignificant to rant about it if you ask me. More nitpicking then anything else. How often will you actually stare at those planets?
I believe they use one single skin for city-like planets. That's it.

Truth is, coming into this thread, I actually thought that it would have something to do with the land maps being totally similar between all those planets...instead...this...

Darth Windu 02-08-2006 03:09 AM

Okay, thats really annoying. The others arent so bad, but Coruscant should be a lot brighter and less cloudy/mountainy. It doesn't even take that much effort to make these planets look different.

By the way, is it just me or does that station above Taris look way, way too big in relation to the planet?

zalcron 02-08-2006 03:41 AM

i am at work and cant see these screenshots (restricted) are they planet surfaces? or a view from space?

shadowsfm 02-08-2006 06:18 AM

space, they all look like corascant with clouds

Stival Discipal 02-08-2006 07:34 AM

So what if they look the same, looks to me like you guys have really too much time on your hands....

DonBilbo 02-08-2006 08:18 AM

this for sure are screens from the final version ... eaw-fr just got an final test version build in februray ...

DarthMaulUK 02-08-2006 08:59 AM

Who says planets have to look different? Because at the end of the day, when it says ' the death star is in range'....does anyone care? lol

DMUK

Ra2er 02-08-2006 10:55 AM

I've seen screenshots of the planets and they are different...
Look on the official site in the screenshots section...

The screenshots posted above were taken before the textures were changed. Just like in the demo mods where space battles happen over any planet but the space battle can only happen in the asteroids because of a lack of other maps. For those screenshots the same thing applies. They're of a space battle over a planet but the battles aren't over different planets that's just the way the game was tested.

Admiral Sith 02-08-2006 11:16 AM

Yeah are you people blind or something? They are quite clearly different planets, its very easy to see. Not a single one looks alike

GhOsT-Jedi 02-08-2006 11:36 AM

I dont care if it looks the same, I just don't want clouds all over it..

Darth_Terros 02-08-2006 12:46 PM

Are all those planets Ecumenopolises?

I doubt every planet looks the same but seriously most planets with a city covering the entire serface would look pretty similar in space.

Foshjedi2004 02-08-2006 01:01 PM

yes they are all Ecumenopolises.

I don't know what the problem is....

arkodeon 02-08-2006 01:05 PM

Not even Coruscant looks like that anymore. These appear to be outdated screenshots.

In the demo, they included the "skins," for a lack of a better word, for Coruscant. It looks nothing like that. ):

EDIT: Oh shoot, I'm dumb. XD;; I thought we were looking at Galactic Map.

But I digress, looking at the shots on Gamespot, especially Alderaan, it looks nothing like the Coruscant Planet-wide City. (Ecumenopolis, whatever.)

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...reenindex.html

Nakatomi2010 02-08-2006 01:06 PM

Could be the same planet at different times of day :naughty:

Foshjedi2004 02-08-2006 01:06 PM

Coruscant Skin wasn't there!! Loads of Skins are reused.

arkodeon 02-08-2006 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foshjedi2004
Coruscant Skin wasn't there!! Loads of Skins are reused.

SEE: Above Post of mine.

I highly doubt Petroglyph would get lazy. :) No believe.

Nakatomi2010 02-08-2006 01:21 PM

Oh, oh, I know...

Those planets are stunt double skins, incase the debris from space battles are too intense, that way they don't ruin the planet..

Yeah, stunt double planets....

Admiral Sith 02-08-2006 01:46 PM

You people are just blind

Darth_Torpid-PG 02-08-2006 02:11 PM

We have quite a few planet models in the game. We have generic ones for temperate, volcanic, desert, forest, urban, arctic and ocean. In cases where a planet was actually seen in the movie, we have a model for that specific planet. We also made unique models when the planet's description was highly detailed in the EU lore (such as the half lit, half dark Ryloth or the potato-shaped Kessel). There is some repetition on planets that share similar landscapes, but overall the variety is there.

Jabbas WhOr3 02-08-2006 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_Torpid-PG
We have quite a few planet models in the game. We have generic ones for temperate, volcanic, desert, forest, urban, arctic and ocean. In cases where a planet was actually seen in the movie, we have a model for that specific planet. We also made unique models when the planet's description was highly detailed in the EU lore (such as the half lit, half dark Ryloth or the potato-shaped Kessel). There is some repetition on planets that share similar landscapes, but overall the variety is there.

Excellent! Thankyou.

Matthes 02-08-2006 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Windu
By the way, is it just me or does that station above Taris look way, way too big in relation to the planet?

did you ever hear about point of view ;)

Commander Obi-Wan 02-08-2006 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthMaulUK
Who says planets have to look different? Because at the end of the day, when it says ' the death star is in range'....does anyone care? lol

DMUK

I certainly don't. As long as I can play, I'm fine.

edmendduke55555 02-09-2006 12:57 AM

Personally, even if it was a complete black background, i wouldn't care as long as the space battles are magnificent ;) As well, couldn't you just mod this if you don't like it (assuming it can be modded)

Foshjedi2004 02-09-2006 06:05 AM

It WILL be modded. Legacy of War (sorry for the Spam but...) are hoping to be adding at least another 50 planets in the first Release. I've looked at the XMLs and it should be pretty straightforward to add proper skins to the planets.

Esdawg01@hotmai 02-09-2006 05:39 PM

the planets DO NOT all look the same; if you look carefully the patterns are different. Plus, most of the planets (i dont know about the others, but Courascant and Taris iknow are) covered in cities! What did you expect to see? I agree that it is a little cheap to use the same maps, but I think that in the final version more tweaks will be added to change the planets.

Ra2er 02-09-2006 10:27 PM

The planets are different in the full game...

GhostlyYouki 02-10-2006 12:06 AM

Someone had to do the review for their french site so they needed to "test" the game out ;) (hope someone understands this ^)

{DHU}Screed 02-10-2006 12:30 AM

Do any of you realize what the install size would be if they used a different/unique skin for each planet and surface would be? You're probobly looking at at least a 8GB install. Some of you might not care about the install size, but there are others out there not as fortunate as you are with computer hardware.

Besides the fact that there are dozens of planets, I guarantee you'll hardly notice the difference.

dragon_master 02-10-2006 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by {DHU}Screed
Do any of you realize what the install size would be if they used a different/unique skin for each planet and surface would be? You're probobly looking at at least a 8GB install. Some of you might not care about the install size, but there are others out there not as fortunate as you are with computer hardware.

I agree. to make a special skinsurface for each planet WOULD take up a lot
of space. And I care about the size. I don't want a game taking up a bunch of the memory.

Admiral Sith 02-11-2006 12:50 AM

I still say your all blind, they look completly different to me.

Leron 02-11-2006 01:41 AM

don't look at the clouds! look at the surface below! :)