LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Kavar's Corner (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=698)
-   -   Do You Have Questions about Kavar's Corner? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=175867)

Jae Onasi 02-19-2007 11:14 PM

Do You Have Questions about Kavar's Corner?
 
Feel free to post any questions you may have about the forum in this thread. :)

Emperor Devon 02-19-2007 11:17 PM

More of an opinion, but I think a sticky for people to share debate strategies would be useful. After participating in formal debate, I've learned there are quite a few. :)

SilentScope001 02-20-2007 12:05 AM

A question: Why is the forum named after Master Kavar? I guessing something to do with Master Kavar being a great military general, and argument basically being a war of ideas...but I could be wrong.

Emperor Devon 02-20-2007 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentScope001
A question: Why is the forum named after Master Kavar?

After a lengthy discussion of some names too horrible to mention, this was the best we could come up with. :p (Or to give proper credit, that stoffe came up with)

Mainly because we wanted Onderon included in a forum title, and wanted something that would imply seriousness but nothing too formal. Kavar was Talia's unofficial adviser, and gave her advice on serious topics but it wasn't as formal as the Senate (or in retrospect, the SC).

Jae Onasi 02-20-2007 12:13 AM

@Emperor Devon--go for it.

@SilentScope--I could make something up about Onderon being a political planet and Kavar having wisdom as a Jedi Master, but the truth is, stoffe came up with the name and we just all really liked how it sounded. The fact that it had all the implications Emperor Devon described above was the clincher.

Samuel Dravis 02-20-2007 12:15 AM

Yeah, Silent, you might say it was a 'war of ideas' (mostly silly ones, or at least ones I suggested were) in the swk.com chatbox earlier. :D

Nancy Allen`` 03-17-2007 07:32 PM

There's a topic rather adult that I would like to raise, I think it's okay to raise it here: pedophiles. If I was careful what would be the best way to tackle the issue?

Emperor Devon 03-17-2007 07:47 PM

Not a lot of ways to tackle it. You'll probably find that everyone agrees they're sick, unless you were thinking of something specific.

Nancy Allen`` 03-17-2007 07:54 PM

Yeah I'd go with that, but there's a lot of facets to the topic that might come across well in an actual thread. NAMBLA for example, the penalties for child predators, people who try and alert others of where these people live and that idea could be pushed further into whether the athorities should inform people of this, vigilanties such as those who use the Internet to hunt down sites or entrap individuals, artistic portrayals, children are definatly out but what about for example Mission, the question of consent, could these be worthy issues at all?

Emperor Devon 03-18-2007 04:04 AM

You could raise those, but you'd probably find everyone unanimous in that pedophiles should be punished harshly, child porn is bad and that being lustful is fine if you don't harm anyone. I don't think you'll have to particularly careful in tackling the topic, regardless of how many of those issues you address.

Nancy Allen`` 07-28-2007 12:09 AM

Given the volitile nature some threads can turn into (religion for example) would it maybe be a good idea to think twice about posting such threads?

Achilles 07-28-2007 12:15 AM

"Freedom of speech, of religion, from poverty, and from fear...the dream will never die."

Jae Onasi 07-28-2007 12:16 AM

This is a serious-topic discussion forum, and some topics are indeed going to be volatile. No one's required to participate in a given thread, especially if they know it's a hot-button subject for them. We're trying to make sure the volatile subjects don't have flaming in them, and we'll do our best to address that. However, we can't expect everyone to agree 100% with someone else, or to not feel strongly about a subject. I understand your concern about the volatility of some subjects; however, I don't think we want to declare a particular topic off-limits unless it violates the rules.

SilentScope001 07-28-2007 12:28 AM

The Freedom of Speech only extends so far...to the ear of the other person.

Anyone can say/type whatever they want, but you can choose wheter to hear/read it or not.

Nancy Allen`` 07-28-2007 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achilles
"Freedom of speech, of religion, from poverty, and from fear...the dream will never die."

If freedom of religion is something that is condemned I don't see your point.

Hallucination 07-28-2007 12:16 PM

I think you may have missed the fact he italicised the word 'speech'. ;)

Rogue Warrior 09-23-2007 03:31 AM

Looking through it seems the majority of problems are in religious threads.

Ctrl Alt Del 10-07-2007 08:59 PM

^It's funny. I haven't really noticed any major problems going on on the Corner...

Rev7 10-07-2007 09:06 PM

I don't think that they are nessicarily problems, but rather news stories along with a few other topics on basically opinions. :)

Yar-El 09-18-2008 07:59 PM

My first experience in a debate thread was brutal. I had at least four to five people hammering me. I wouldn't post in here unless you are ready for some tag-teaming. Be very prepared. Don't let your guard down.

Do the normal forums rules apply here?

jonathan7 09-18-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yar-El (Post 2526583)
My first experience in a debate thread was brutal. I had at least four to five people hammering me. I wouldn't post in here unless you are ready for some tag-teaming. Be very prepared. Don't let your guard down.

Do the normal forums rules apply here?

There was noting wrong with the posts in thread, you were in a discussion with two Mods in the thread. One (me) who is a Brit, and really not fussed about the American presidential election. The normal forums apply - but quite simply - there was, as a guardian of the peace nothing in thread that hasn't been moderated that would require moderation.

What specifically do you think was incorrect about what occurred in thread?

EnderWiggin 09-18-2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yar-El (Post 2526583)
My first experience in a debate thread was brutal.

Your choice, honestly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yar-El
I had at least four to five people hammering me.

Be prepared for some discussion when you make outlandish claims.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yar-El
I wouldn't post in here unless you are ready for some tag-teaming.


And/or unless you're prepared to defend your viewpoints with some facts.
Tag-teaming happens when you have an issue with two sides and a forum that has more than 3 members.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yar-El
Be very prepared. Don't let your guard down.

No one should ever let their guard down.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yar-El
Do the normal forums rules apply here?

Twice as much, actually.

_EW_

Te Darasuum Mandalor 02-12-2010 08:28 PM

how can we tell what is and isn't spam for this thread? When I said something that did in fact have to do with the post, someone told me it was spam. Then it happened again for a similar reason. I stuck to the topic, what did I do wrong?

mimartin 02-12-2010 08:57 PM

Stating the obvious without adding anything to the discussion is spam.

For example if I were to post in a dead thread something along the lines of
Quote:

Originally Posted by mimatin
Very good point, I totally agree with you assessment of the topic

That would be spam. I would be warned and should I continue someone would infract me.

Now if were to post in that thread, but instead of just merely stating the obvious, I added addition information to the topic, such as a link to new information, then that would not be considered spam. Although if I posted a link to information that had already been posted in the thread, but I was too lazy to read the posts in the thread before posting it myself, then that to would be spam.

Add to the discussion in a productive way and you will not have to worry about moderating.

jonathan7 02-12-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Te Darasuum Mandalor (Post 2706675)
how can we tell what is and isn't spam for this thread?

Please read the SW:K Forum Rules (click me)

mimartin was entirely correct in his Moderation. Resurrecting month old threads with a sentence long reply violates Rule 8. f) of the Forum Rules

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW:K Forum Rules
8. f) If you want to add something to a thread that you have recently posted in, and no one else have made any new posts in, edit your last post in the thread instead of creating a new one. If several days have passed where no one has posted anything and you have something substantial to add to the thread you may make a new post instead.

You neither used the edit function, nor did you add anything substantial to the thread in question; you just in fact spammed it with a post which contained nothing new to the conversation, and indeed your previous post (1 post above your now deleted one) contained far more detail.

What you did also, incidentally violates rule 6 of the forum rules too;

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW:K Forum Rules
6. Bumping

Please do not make posts simply to move the topic back up to the top of the forum. This is called ‘bumping’ and is not allowed. If people have something relevant to post on that topic, they will.

It also breaks Rule 5. a) on spamming too;

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW:K Forum Rules
5. a) Do not post messages that are irrelevant to the topic or attempt to derail the conversation. Your posts should contribute to the thread in some manner.

Your posts did not contribute anything new to the discussion and as such were spam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Te Darasuum Mandalor (Post 2706675)
When I said something that did in fact have to do with the post, someone told me it was spam.

That someone was mimartin, and he was again correct with reference to it being spam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Te Darasuum Mandalor (Post 2706675)
Then it happened again for a similar reason. I stuck to the topic, what did I do wrong?

You added nothing to either topic, and resurrected threads which had seemingly run there course. If it happened for a similar reason does that not tell you something? Furthermore I hope I have addressed exactly what you did wrong.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.