LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Prequel Trilogy (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=439)
-   -   Death of Padme (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=182872)

TripHammer 10-08-2007 05:35 PM

Death of Padme

Do you think Padme died of a broken heart.. or from giving childbirth?

Personally I think it was a combination of both. If indeed she died of a broken heart.. Anakin would have foreseen fate of his own doing when he was having his nightmares of her death.

Rogue Warrior 10-08-2007 06:33 PM

Broken heart, perse. Losing Anakin to the Dark Side made Padme lose the will to live. Odds are she could have survived but chose instead not to.

PoiuyWired 10-09-2007 07:48 AM

Though RL odds are she would have survived, become an alcoholic or something...lose custody over the twins.

Jae Onasi 10-09-2007 11:19 AM

Broken heart and resultant loss of will to live.

The childbirth scene was so unrealistic. They can travel in hyperspace throughout the galaxy, replace limbs and give Vader his own portable respirator, and they haven't figured out the technology to give a woman an epidural or other pain relievers? Ugh.

Rogue Nine 10-09-2007 11:30 AM

Maybe she wanted a natural birth? ¯\O_o/¯

Jae Onasi 10-09-2007 11:50 AM

Real Women Use Good Drugs. :xp:

Titanius Anglesmith 10-09-2007 01:08 PM

She died of a broken heart, but that's a pretty awful excuse for getting rid of a character. People don't fall over dead just because they don't feel like living anymore.

Lord XZantor 10-09-2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Warrior
Broken heart, perse. Losing Anakin to the Dark Side made Padme lose the will to live. Odds are she could have survived but chose instead not to.

This is what I agree with. She told Aniken he was killing her on Mustifar
:blast5:

TripHammer 10-10-2007 10:14 AM

If she did die of a broken heart... Then Anakin already had the power to save her.

Lord XZantor 10-10-2007 11:01 AM

I don't think so

I don't think so, only a few Sith mastered that powered, if more than Palpy's master. Sidious nor Vader ever accevied that power.

adamqd 10-10-2007 01:46 PM

^^^
I think trip mean't it metaphorically, he did have the power to save her, by not going to the darkside, by not killing younglings

TripHammer 10-10-2007 06:07 PM

Exactly. But to further the point somewhat.. I don't think the power to save Padme existed. I think the mention of such a power was just a tool the emperor used to manipulate Anakin. Is there any proof that such a power existed other than Palpatine's mention of it with some tall tale of Darth Plagueis attached to it?

adamqd 10-10-2007 06:23 PM

^^^
In the Legacy comics Cade Skywalker can do it...

jawathehutt 10-23-2007 12:02 AM

She died of the number 1 killer of movie characters, plot developement.

PoiuyWired 10-23-2007 07:13 PM

Then technically the sith power of "fan request" can bring him back, even if one is swallowed up by a giant bung hole filled with teeth.

Rev7 12-01-2007 12:31 AM

Broken Heart.

PoiuyWired 12-01-2007 10:01 AM

Makes me think of old D&D sections.
"I don't want to be a wizard anymore, I refuse to eat and poo, and jump down the cliff"
"I get saved by a tree branch, but I am going to jump down again while cutting my throat midair"

Seriously, that happened.

Maybe Padme wants to be someone else... like a blood elf mohawk.

Nancy Allen`` 12-01-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoiuyWired
Then technically the sith power of "fan request" can bring him back, even if one is swallowed up by a giant bung hole filled with teeth.

MARA JADE! Padme to be in Star Wars again? Maybe, but I'm thinking the faves for this would be either Jade or Aayla Secura.

Just on Padme for a moment, it bugged me quite a bit that she did die of a broken heart. She gave up the will to live, that gives the film even more of a sour note IMO, with the good guys lose and the bad guys win. GL was most wise to make the last films first otherwise Star Wars would have tanked, and this scene would have contributed.

Rev7 12-01-2007 09:06 PM

Don't the 'bad-guys' win in ESB? The 'good-guys' won in in both ANH and ROTJ. The 'good-guys' also won in TPM and AOTC, but the 'bad-guys' won in ROTS. It all evens out.

Ctrl Alt Del 12-01-2007 10:12 PM

Broken heart for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev7
Don't the 'bad-guys' win in ESB? The 'good-guys' won in in both ANH and ROTJ. The 'good-guys' also won in TPM and AOTC, but the 'bad-guys' won in ROTS. It all evens out.

But what if the first trilogy was made before and in the end of it, the evil won? Thirty years later comes a sequel to tell that it didn't ended this way...

Nancy Allen`` 12-01-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev7

True, it was almost the bad guys winning in ESB. They didn't have the good guys killed off left right and centre though. Still the darkness when I first saw it all those years ago, I remember it got to me. For me RotS seems to be aimed at a more mature audiance, doubly so with the rating and there being an absence of kiddy fare (no Ewoks, Gungans or fanboy type stuff).

Mr. Kennedy 12-02-2007 06:39 AM

I
see
wh
at
the
ma
n,
Ge
org
e
Luc
as,
wa
s
doi
ng.
Kid
s
wh
o
sa
w
The
Ph
ant
om
Me
nac
e
hav
e
gro
wn
up
and
tho
se
adu
lts
wh
o
sa
w
the
firs
t
film
s
will
app
reci
ate
not
bei
ng
talk
ed
do
wn
to
wit
h
Ew
oks
and
Jar
Jar
s
and
all
tha
t
kid
s
stu
ff.

Nancy Allen`` 12-02-2007 08:04 AM

Um, true, the films were made more mature for an older audiance. Still Die Hard ending with John McClane alive. Guess I'm a sucker for happy endings.

hellhawk 03-19-2008 12:19 AM

hmmm... they said something in star wars mag recently... ill look it up n post...

k found it... says: How exactely did Padme die? We no she lost the will to live, but someone can't "will" themselves to death. Was the force at work here?

Responce:In the end, the despondency over the terrible person ankin became breaks padme's heart. She is unable to come to grips with her husband as power hungery, and a mass murderer has has destroyed everything she holds dear. There might even b a small part of her that blames herself for inadveratly bringing obi wan to mustafar, though Anakin's Grusome fate remaind hidden from her at her final moments. there is nothing to suggest that padmes death is the will of the force, other then anakin';s visions. dosent help much...

ps i just tried to will myself to death, dosent work

Henz 04-06-2008 07:11 PM

Padme's death/The kids birth was the single worst thing in the Prequel trilogy. George rushed to wrap the film up after the climatic fight and this scene paid for it. Shame.

Kain 04-07-2008 02:55 AM

Bad thread ressurectors. BAD!

Nedak 04-07-2008 02:49 PM

I HATE that excuse that she died of a broken heart. Here is a Director with piles of cash and the man can't even create a good excuse for why she died? My god... Someone else should right these movies for him!

Sorry bout that. Had to unleash my love/hate relationship for GL

EDIT: And don't blame me Kain I'm a bored man.

tyrone333 04-07-2008 07:23 PM

I read that Sidous killed her from Anakin turning to dark side to save padme. It said that sidous made anakin hate the people he loved and he killed them.

Henz 04-08-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by han sala
I HATE that excuse that she died of a broken heart. Here is a Director with piles of cash and the man can't even create a good excuse for why she died? My god... Someone else should right these movies for him!

Sorry bout that. Had to unleash my love/hate relationship for GL.

Yeah I hear you. I kinda love that she died the way she did as there's the horrible inevitability in Anakin's actions. His desperation to save her from the future caused it.
But at the same time... she died of a broken heart? Lame.
Padme was really shafted in the prequels. Most of the deleted material was hers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kain
Bad thread ressurectors. BAD!

This was about the 3rd newest thread in this section when I posted. It's not my fault this area is so dead there's threads on the first page that are over a year old.

Nedak 04-08-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henz
But at the same time... she died of a broken heart? Lame.
Padme was really shafted in the prequels. Most of the deleted material was hers.

I personally think it would have been better if Anakin choked her so badly that her throat was crushed and had to breath threw a tube. Then after she gave birth she died. Later on they find out what the babies were to be named after reading her diary or something.

Also by the way there is something called broken heart syndrome, but nothing like that happens.

Ztalker 04-10-2008 08:25 AM

Why can't it be a combination of both?

If you want to recover from wounds, you'll need the mental power and recilience to do so. Placebo's proof this.
Padme might have been mortally wounded, but with good chances to survive. But if the mind doesn't want to do so...it won't work. :(

Although I still find it weird she doesn't stuff it away to raise the children. I mean, what's the point? She leaves the children mother and fatherless.

Henz 04-10-2008 03:07 PM

I'd give you that it could have been a mixture of injury, and not wanting to recover... but Dr. Droid makes it perfectly clear that she's perfectly healthy. Silly George.
I wish it was handled better. There should have been more time between the kid's birth and Padme's death. There could have been a moment for Padme to be with her daughter to explain Leia's memories in Ep 6.

Ztalker 04-12-2008 12:34 PM

Ah, that would indeed be better. That she would originally recover, safeguard her children and possibly then die of complications. And, like you said, it would explain why Leia has those memories...I don't really buy those 'the has her eyes open in Episode 3!' stuff. :)

Astor 04-12-2008 12:46 PM

Remember though, Z, that Luke and Leia are both force sensitives. It could be that the infant Leia felt her mother through the force, maybe even during pregnancy.

But, it is still curious...

Ztalker 04-12-2008 12:57 PM

Yeah, the force sensitive theory has been brought up multiple times.

Several canon stories even confirm it somehow. I recall reading a story about a little Luke who´s capable of levitating one of his toys, after which his uncle says never to do so again. If he´s capable of doing that as an infant, he could indeed have been...strong in the force at birth. Same goes for Leia... :)

But that still doesn't explain how they felt Padme. Levitating your lego is one thing, reading or feeling one's mind right after your birth is something else. Which brings up another theory of Padmé being Force Sensitive, which is supported by Episode 3...*sigh*

PoiuyWired 04-13-2008 03:05 PM

[QUOTE=Ztalker]Why can't it be a combination of both?
If you want to recover from wounds, you'll need the mental power and recilience to do so. Placebo's proof this.
Padme might have been mortally wounded, but with good chances to survive. But if the mind doesn't want to do so...it won't work. :(
[/QUOTE=Ztalker]

Unfortunately this is impossable, think of the glorious day when all those darn emos die due to their self inflicted papercuts. Better than mudkipz.

She does not seem to be suffering from mortal wound. And no generally you don't "will yourself to die" from a simple cut, plus she is probably not willing herself to death due to her kiddos and such. So even if she lost the will to live, it would hardly be fatal. Oh, and if Palpy is behind her killing then he would have known of the twins. So unless he intend on acquiring them later for his own use he would have done something about it. Even if, in the event that he DO want the twins, he would have done even more to safeguard their usefulness, including elimination of ObiWan. Well, unless he is too coward to face a future great Sith.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ztalker
Although I still find it weird she doesn't stuff it away to raise the children. I mean, what's the point? She leaves the children mother and fatherless.

I keep hoping that she is actually alive and the death is just a ruse of a dead handmaiden or something. Where she can raise Leia in secrecy disguising as a maid under Organa's guidance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
MARA JADE! Padme to be in Star Wars again? Maybe, but I'm thinking the faves for this would be either Jade or Aayla Secura.

Secura would be nice. Would be hard to make characters with meaningful death like ObiWan coming back without raising huge sheetstorm though.

Hmmm... chewie. Impossable, but would be nice, none the less. His death is so undeserved.

As for jade, I love her character, but in the end I think she got a somewhat reasonable death, and while she is looking good also (despite her age she looks really young and juicy still) I mean, it would be stupid indeed to see a 90 year old Han in daipers yelling YeeHow in a even more beat up Falcon while mistaking the wrinkled up Leia as good old chewie due to partly Han's catarac and partly Leia's new look.

Henz 04-14-2008 10:08 AM

One of Anakin's dreams has Obi wan talking to Padme, saying "don't give, save your energy" or something to that effect. Is it likely that it was only shot for the dream? Or could it be that the birth/death scenes had more/different content in it?
I'm just deluding myself really, I just wish it was better and George would fix it lol

Gurges-Ahter 05-13-2008 03:37 PM

I agree that there has to be more in the cut content we didn't see - that we just have to accept that she lost the will to live and therefore died.

Sidious also says to Vader something like "In your rage you killed her" - which is mostly meant to manipulate Vader but could also have some truth to it. In his turn to the DS and subsequent attack on Padme she had nothing left to live for in her mind, despite the birth of her children.

Jedil3thal 06-05-2008 09:05 PM

I believe she died from a broken heart

She died from a Broken Heart because she wanted to see Anakins face while she was giving Childbirth so that could be why she died

Relenzo2 06-08-2008 08:30 PM

You don't need previous injuries for a stressful childbirth or complications... it would make sense that her "losing the will to live" would render her unable to cope with the rigors of childbirth at all. It make perfect sense... except for that #*($ "Dr. Droid" as one of you said, telling us she's "perfectly healthy... there's nothing wrong", telling us nothing went wrong with the pregnency and George is expecting us to beleive that she was the first person to "will herself to death". An emo hero?