LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   The Unknown Regions (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=631)
-   -   EA Denies Rumors of KotOR3 in the works (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=186383)

tk102 02-16-2008 11:10 PM

EA Denies Rumors of KotOR3 in the works
 
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51314

Quote:

Addressing the alleged sequels to BioWare's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Criterion's Black, publisher Electronic Arts has clarified that such products are not necessarily under development at this time.

Reports of the titles emerged yesterday, after a slide (pictured left) presented to analysts by EA CEO John Riccitiello suggested that future KOTOR and Black projects were underway at the EA-owned studios.

"The slide in John's presentation is titled 'Best Creative Talent'--it addresses future and past titles," EA told Shacknews. "KOTOR, Black, Boogie, Skate and some other titles on the slide speak to past portfolio releases and the pedigree of the studio but do not specifically address future sequels."

Outside of the slide, Riccitiello did not mention KOTOR or Black, though it was implied that the listed properties denoted new or upcoming releases. Many of the other properties in the slide, including Skate, were revealed to be receiving future iterations in a later presentation.

"The [previously announced] MMO in development at BioWare Austin is listed a 'New MMO,'" EA's statement continued in an attempt to prevent future misunderstandings. "We apologize for any confusion this may have caused."

Arcesious 02-16-2008 11:31 PM

Well that sucks. I guess the only way we'll ever get kOtOR 3 is if we make a mod for TSL to have a massive expansion containing K3...

Rev7 02-16-2008 11:47 PM

It seems that we get news every day that we will never get our KotOR III. Unfortunatly I am begining to lose hope that there will ever be one.

DeadYorick 02-16-2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev7
It seems that we get news every day that we will never get our KotOR III. Unfortunatly I am begining to lose hope that there will ever be one.

If we didn't have hope we couldn't do anything. I will still hold out hope that there will be another sequel. Games have gone longer and still had sequels

JoeDoe 2.0 02-16-2008 11:59 PM

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long (looks at Duke Nukem Forever)

I still have hope, however slight, that one day KOTOR 3 will be announced

Rev7 02-17-2008 12:00 AM

I still have some hope. I don't think that I will ever fully lose hope that there will be another KotOR. But it's just a game, life will still go on without it.

Devilsfanatic 02-17-2008 01:35 AM

Addressing the alleged sequels to BioWare's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Criterion's Black, publisher Electronic Arts has clarified that such products are not necessarily under development at this time.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's the best I can hope for now.

Balderdash 02-17-2008 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RakataDark
If we didn't have hope we couldn't do anything. I will still hold out hope that there will be another sequel. Games have gone longer and still had sequels

Agreed, but I definitely don't expect BioWare to ever make it. And I don't really want them too, either.

Silveredge9 02-17-2008 07:44 AM

Heres hoping for an Obsidian developed KOTOR3. :)

Chris Avellone should be given the chance to finish what he started.

Miltiades 02-17-2008 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveredge9
Heres hoping for an Obsidian developed KOTOR3. :)

Chris Avellone should be given the chance to finish what he started.

Agreed. I would make the most sense. I'm still confident a KotOR3 will be announced, though it could take another couple of years. Like Rev7 said, it's just a game, I'm not going to search news about KotOR every day on the net. I've got other things to do.

adamqd 02-17-2008 07:55 AM

@ 1st post

I've been saying that since the slide was found lol, If the people at ign, and the other 10 or so sites that bumped the same wrong info would of just listened to the webdock that accompanied the slide they'd of known that there was no mention anything related to a new kotor in any form, it was as I said in earlier posts, the slide was just showing the pedigree of developers now under the EA banner.
I am disappointed, but I've not lost all hope.

Edit: Note to self and other K3 wanter's, go to the origin of the rumor before believing a second hand "source". Saves the heartache :)

This doesn't make the chances of Obsidian doing another any more likely..Cough...

SilentScope001 02-17-2008 10:41 AM

Woohoo! Yeah! Go Obz!

*wears a flame-resistant suit*

Devilsfanatic 02-17-2008 12:24 PM

I can see after this coming out, and there's so much excitement, that EA might've used it as a test to see how much positive reaction would come from it.

Nedak 02-17-2008 01:29 PM

Wow.. So no KOTOR III any time soon, and no remaking SWG..

Well looks like I'm screwed. Why can't they just make me happy? :P

HIGH ON PIE 14 02-17-2008 02:40 PM

Yes at this point I have only a fragile hope that K3 will be made. I dont really understand why they wouldnt make it though...I mean there is a pretty large KOTOR following, the first two games made loads of money, and even though most of us like K1 better we all know we would buy K3 if it came out. Still they havent actually come out and said its not being made or in their list of games to make...so there still a slight hope.

I also would like an Obsidian K3, as long as they get enough time to complete it...

LukeDavis93 02-17-2008 03:37 PM

well here is something that pisses me off: they all know we want a 3rd game and they know that the first 2 games made them alot of money, so why in the hell wouldnt they make one, if they did they would be doing both us and themselves a favor. so they should ask themselves "What would Jesus do?"

BlazingPhoenix 02-17-2008 04:00 PM

This is lame, I was really hoping for one too. But I'll keep hoping that one day they'll change their minds.

Son of Skywalker15 02-17-2008 04:22 PM

Quote:

This doesn't make the chances of Obsidian doing another any more likely
I don't see how Bioware and LA not making a Kotor 3 diminishes Obsidian chances of doing it. Bioware has said for years that it wasn't doing it, but fans refuse to believe it.

Quote:

and no remaking SWG..
I actually think that Bioware might be doing that... or, making another MMO set in another era.

adamqd 02-17-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Skywalker15
I don't see how Bioware and LA not making a Kotor 3 diminishes Obsidian chances of doing it. Bioware has said for years that it wasn't doing it, but fans refuse to believe it.

I said doesn't make it more likely, not diminishes the chance ;)

Son of Skywalker15 02-17-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

I said doesn't make it more likely, not diminishes the chance
This is true :) Okay, how does it make it less likely then?

igyman 02-17-2008 05:50 PM

Because Star Wars games must be approved and published by LucasArts.

One other thing: Here's to a Bioware KotOR 3. The ones who started the series should be the ones who end it.

adamqd 02-17-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Skywalker15
This is true :) Okay, how does it make it less likely then?

:) Your digging a bigger hole dude, I didn't say less likely either, I said it doesn't make it "any more" likely, meaning neither Bioware or Obsidian look like making it at this point, just because Bioware aren't making it, doesn't mean Obsidian are.

Son of Skywalker15 02-17-2008 06:51 PM

Quote:

Because Star Wars games must be approved and published by LucasArts.
I'm well aware of that.. We were told Bioware and LA weren't making something Kotor; they never said not SW.

Quote:

Your digging a bigger hole dude, I didn't say less likely either, I said it doesn't make it "any more" likely, meaning neither Bioware or Obsidian look like making it at this point, just because Bioware aren't making it, doesn't mean Obsidian are.
Is ;) I'm trying to get you to answer the question, which you did. Do you think because Bioware wasn't given the "right," I say right because they've said they don't want to do another Kotor, to another Kotor it means Obsidian won't get a chance?

DAWUSS 02-17-2008 09:10 PM

I think if we don't hear anything after TFU is released, fuhgettuhboutit...

(Which will be I don't know when)

Henz 02-18-2008 06:19 AM

Never have I seen such a delay on a certain commercial and critical success, as well as one with a capable studio thats desperate to make it.... Let Obsidian do their thing for god's sake.

Light_Jigi 02-18-2008 01:35 PM

Lucas will make kotor 3 because it would bring him milions to his bank account. :-)

sayoko 02-18-2008 01:59 PM

As many people allready stated, it is very unlikely that they DONT make KotOR3, just check around this forum and the dozenīs of people still modding and playing both parts even years after it was puplished. And then go and check how many BAD movies and games have received sequels over the last time. I honestly doubt that in our modern "GIVE MORE MONEY!" world they would pass on a chance to make some extra _guaranteed_ money.

I mean even if they make a bad KotOR3 they would still make enough money to get the invested money back since the large fanbase wouldnt hesitate to buy it no matter if the media says its not good.
And if they manage to create a real kickass K3 they would have all the previous fanīs + alot of new gamers and would get even more money.

Iam quite confident actually that they will come up with one sooner or later, its unlikely to come out this year since the force unleashed is on its way and i think LA woulndt bring to many good games at the same time. But i wouldnt be surprised to have K3 announced at the end of 2008.

And as somone allready pointed out it says "that such products are not necessarily under development at this time"

So basically they neither DENY that they have K3 or sth alike under development nor that they WILL NOT make one in the future, the only thing they state is that the lastest "K3 announced" news are incorrect.

And i rather wait another 2 years and get a really nice K3 than to get one like TSL again which was undoubtfully good but was just not compareable with K1, good games need their time and we can only hope that _when_ not _if_ K3 comes they took their time to make sth really awesome and not just a boring remake with some new features.

dewayne26 02-18-2008 02:44 PM

to me, if the rumor isn't true. why waste the time with the statement

Rev7 02-18-2008 03:53 PM

^I guess so.

It seems like we will never get KotOR III. I don't see why they wouldn't because I know that the game would make them a lot of money. After all that is all businesses are looking at, profit. We all wish that LA will make KotOR III. Unfortunatly, it seems like it will never come out.

DeadYorick 02-18-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igyman
Because Star Wars games must be approved and published by LucasArts.

One other thing: Here's to a Bioware KotOR 3. The ones who started the series should be the ones who end it.

Wait do you WANT Kotor 3 to be the last kotor game? I personally don't

Del_Boy 02-18-2008 04:14 PM

I think we all knew (deep down) it wouldn't happen, as I've always said if they were to make another they would have followed up sooner, strike while the irons hot so to speak, i respect a lot of you say there have been many years between other game series releases but there's one thing we are all forgetting, kotor is an ongoing story line and ongoing story lines don't have inconsistent gaps between them, the powers that be probably don't think a kotor 3 is viable $$$$$$$ :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

HIGH ON PIE 14 02-18-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev7
^I guess so.

It seems like we will never get KotOR III. I don't see why they wouldn't because I know that the game would make them a lot of money. After all that is all businesses are looking at, profit. We all wish that LA will make KotOR III. Unfortunatly, it seems like it will never come out.

My thoughts exactly. The only reason I can think of for maybe putting thte game off until later is because KOTOR has a pretty loyal following and maybe they figure we'll wait, where as with other games, fans wont. But thats a weak theory at best.*sigh* Still because of the success of the first two I doubt they have abandoned it entirely.

sayoko 02-18-2008 05:55 PM

I see no reason why it should be a problem that some years passed since the release of TSL, i mean hello last Rambo came out like how many years ago?, same goes for other movies and games.

And i think there is a reason why for example the KotOR Comic series is set BEFORE the happenings of KotOR. The series itself is another point why i think a K3 is likely to come sooner or later, the comic series is a good way to keep old fans of this era on track and to get new people interested in this era of star wars.

Or like Vader would say: I find your lack of faith disturbing!

HIGH ON PIE 14 02-18-2008 06:06 PM

@sayoko: Quite true. While in my opinion, the sooner they can start it the better, if they were to finally make it 15 years from now I'd still be happy and go buy it. Oh were breakin out the star wars quotes out now are we? :D Well how can I argue with the dark lord of the sith?

If anything, the KOTOR fanbase is growing and other than my somewhat lame theory (previous post of mine) I for the life of me cant see why they wouldnt make it. As far as I know Obsidian expressed their intrest in doing the next KOTOR so its not like no one wants to make it. Obviously there is another problem that I am not aware of.

DeadYorick 02-18-2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGH ON PIE 14
@sayoko: Quite true. While in my opinion, the sooner they can start it the better, if they were to finally make it 15 years from now I'd still be happy and go buy it. Oh were breakin out the star wars quotes out now are we? :D Well how can I argue with the dark lord of the sith?

If anything, the KOTOR fanbase is growing and other than my somewhat lame theory (previous post of mine) I for the life of me cant see why they wouldnt make it. As far as I know Obsidian expressed their intrest in doing the next KOTOR so its not like no one wants to make it. Obviously there is another problem that I am not aware of.

They are probably trying to make us more frustrated with all these rumors. I have a lot of gaming conspiracy theories. If we get frustrated with news of Kotor appearing everywhere we subconsciously want to stay around and see if there is one or not.

schirminater 02-18-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RakataDark
They are probably trying to make us more frustrated with all these rumors. I have a lot of gaming conspiracy theories. If we get frustrated with news of Kotor appearing everywhere we subconsciously want to stay around and see if there is one or not.

I disagree with that. I've been lurking here for a while and I am getting fed up with all these rumors. It seems that every day I log on to see new rumors and the next day, someone squashing them. We get so excited because someone slipped something they weren't suppose to say, and then they come back and say: "We didn't mean that!". Its stupid, pointless, and a waste of time. Sorry for the negativity. Lmao.

sayoko 02-19-2008 06:43 AM

Well i guess one of reason why K3 is not coming this year or announced yet might be MASS EFFECT, iam aware that bioware is not neccessarily connected with LA and that its part of EA but since ME is supposed to have 2 Sequels that are 100% confirmed to come its prolly not a good idea to deliver a K3 now.

From my impression ME has quite some similaritys with KotOR you can really see its from Bioware and its the same genre as KotOR, so basically if they bring out K3 now they risk that they split the customers between those games while people who loved ME and the KotOR fans would prolly both go and buy K3 if it comes after the 3 ME parts.

From my pov. there are alot of reasons to not bring K3 this year or mby not even next year but there are plenty of reasons to bring it in the future.

Actually i think its better to have it in 1-2 years than to have it announced now with 2 parts of ME still in work, imho not even a good developer like Bioware can throw out so many titles at the same time and still guarantee a good game.

No, i was right with not buying ME for my 360 since i was kinda sure all the "blabla will never come for pc" was just to get as many customers as possible for the 360 but ofc they didnt pass on the chance to get the PC community aswell for ME and since its KotOR like i will give it a chance.
I guess some KotOR modders are curious to see whats possible with ME aswell, and when ME1-3 is done Bioware comes and says "KK folks! our testrun for KotOR (ME1-3) is finished now and was successful so here comes K3" :P

Ztalker 02-19-2008 10:21 AM

But Mass Effect is more action/shooter oriëntated. I see no reason why a Kotor couldn't be released next to it.

Sorry, but Republic Commando (next to Rainbow Six and every other tactical shooter), Empire at War (in between the Total War and Command and Conquer series) got released as well?
Tagging something with a Star Wars label...automatically makes another game then tagging it with 'Sci-fi' or any other label.
Also, I think there's a lack of RPG's like kotor nowadays. Despite JE and the Kotor games sold good, ME as well, why aren't there any other type of games like this?

sayoko 02-19-2008 11:13 AM

Well my personal evil oppinion why there are so few rpg games nowdays is that its alot easier to make a storyless acitionshooter with some nice gfx.

A good rpg requires a nice story alot of gamedepth and afaik more content than some straight forward shooter. Its one of the things i miss alot lately i bought halo3 and it was awesome the story was okay the gfx nice but its done in a few hours and the MP is just like that of any other shooter. There are to many games that have content for 15hours only and are just cool for one playthrough because the only thing they have are nice gfx.

You are correct so ME isnt exactly like KotOR but its not so different from it + its from the company most people expect to make a K3, i dont think that Bioware wants to risk bringing out a mediocre K3 just because they are busy with several other games at the same time.

But well atm the only big SW game on the horizon is TFU, i really wonder why LA is not making some sequels for games like KotOR, RC, JK and a new simulation of the X-wing/Tie series, i see so many people on different boards asking for sequels to those games i just cant understand why LA didnt allready announce sequels to at least some of them:-/

The Source 02-19-2008 02:43 PM

I personally believe that there will be no "KotOR 3", and that the internet gossip is all psychological. If you have happened to noticed, the 30th Anniversary celebration for novels, comic-books, and games was flatline. If I had a franchise that was 30 years old, and had a large fanbase, I would do some spatacular things. When it comes to the "Knights of the Old Republic" game series, I personally believe that "KotOR II" was endgame. LucasFilms and LucasArts are too busy making stuff for other media and movies. Yes, there are a few tv-shows arriving for Star Wars, but most of their efforts are on Indy. "Force Unleashed" is getting most of the Star Wars gamming attention.

"KotOR III" is a myth.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.