LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   The Outlander Club (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=623)
-   -   DIABLO 3 IS HERE! (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=189976)

Ztalker 06-28-2008 09:48 AM

DIABLO 3 IS HERE!

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/index.xml

Archangel? Check.
Barbarian/Palladin class? Check.
Hordes of monster? Check.
Lord of the Rings epicness? Check.

I wasn't into PC gaming when the first two were out and I feel I've missed a whole bit of gaming history. I'll certainly pick this one up!

Discuss! :D

Ctrl Alt Del 06-28-2008 12:04 PM

Oh, sweet child of mine!

Diablo 3 - soon
Chinese Democracy - not here
Duje Nukem Forever - just a while longer

My finger is itching for some good button smashing on the biggest and best non-RPG roleplaying game ever!

Quanon 06-28-2008 12:23 PM

Ow, dear my mouse is going to die :lol:

And I'll need a newer rig to run this thing.
Man, Blizz is going to get lots of cash now.

SC 2 and D3, life is great :p

mur'phon 06-28-2008 03:08 PM

Another finger killer? Well, knowing Blizz it won't be out for a while, hopefully long enough for me to get trough Sacred2.

Aash Li 06-28-2008 03:22 PM

I hate to break it to you, but Diablo 3 is an RPG.

I too cannot wait for this game! Stupid devs putting out so many games I want to play... not enough bodies, time and computers to play them all! >.<

mur'phon 06-28-2008 03:28 PM

*Looks at old broken mouse* No, it's not:D

Inyri 06-28-2008 03:59 PM

lulz methinks it's Bastila narrating the cinematic trailer. :p

Q 06-28-2008 04:07 PM

OMFG it's snowing down here! :p

Aash Li 06-28-2008 04:35 PM

I will have to invest in a new mouse after I finish rampaging through D3... that looks like its going to be great! The gameplay trailer was good too.

Female options for all the classes! Yay!

Quanon 06-28-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aash Li (Post 2485764)
Female options for all the classes! Yay!

Lets hope they did it a bit like Oblivion, I just love endless tweaking on my heros face.

And the Cinematic Trailer is jaw-dropping nice, Blizz should start doing movies.

mur'phon 06-28-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

I just love endless tweaking on my heros face.
Me too, though the fact that the end result is always butt ugly makes it sorta pointless

Aash Li 06-28-2008 05:07 PM

I guess Hellgate is going to go into the scrapheap now that the real Diablo 3 has been released.

mur'phon 06-28-2008 05:10 PM

Argeed, though I'm wondering how it will stand up to Sacred 2. Either way, it seems like the era of entertaining button smasher games is about to begin:D

igyman 06-28-2008 06:06 PM

Very cool. Diablo is, after all, the most famous RPG ever. I've heard some speculations before about this game and most recently I've heard that Blizzard was given the diablo3 web domain by owners of a fansite with that domain. Now, I see it's true. So, I have two Blizzard games to look forward to (the second being Starcraft 2).

Darth InSidious 06-28-2008 06:38 PM

The area design shown in the screenshots makes me think of Fable - as does the music from the site...

mur'phon 06-28-2008 08:19 PM

DI: What did you expect? Blizz make good games by either "stealing" a little from many and combining it, or by using something as a base(warhammer/40K), and customizing from there.

Sabretooth 06-29-2008 12:35 AM

And to think I still haven't played either of the Diablo games.

<.<

>.>

Rabish Bini 06-29-2008 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretooth (Post 2485913)
And to think I still haven't played either of the Diablo games.

<.<

>.>

Your not the only one
I may get this, although I'm not really all that interested in it, seems like I'm the only one :(

stoffe 06-29-2008 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabish Bini (Post 2485939)
I may get this, although I'm not really all that interested in it, seems like I'm the only one :(

You're probably not the only one, I get the feeling that many hardcore role players tend to scoff at the Diablo games since they're very light on role playing and mostly a huge hack and slash fest. If Diablo 3 is like the previous installments in the series you will at most get some NPCs monologuing at you when they give you "go fetch" and "go kill" quests, along with some story exposition when you move between acts.

That said, they had managed to get the hacking, slashing, looting and leveling almost down to an art in the previous Diablo games. It was mindless fun that was highly addicting. :)

When I last played Diablo I hadn't played any (other) CRPGs though, so my memories of it may be tinted by that. May be worth checking out for the nostalgia if nothing else though.

Either that site is nearly brought to its knees by too many visitors, or the flashy Flash content disagrees with my browser. I can watch the two trailer movies, but clicking on anything else causes the browser to load the page forever and eventually freeze. :/

Quanon 06-29-2008 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoffe (Post 2485944)
Either that site is nearly brought to its knees by too many visitors, or the flashy Flash content disagrees with my browser. I can watch the two trailer movies, but clicking on anything else causes the browser to load the page forever and eventually freeze. :/

Its really annoying, FireFox(3) doesn't seem to like the site.

I can like open two pages and then it goes wrong.
Their SC 2 is like that aswell, it often freezes up...

I just love the mindless "hack and slash", it just keeps you going.

Taak Farst 06-29-2008 02:21 PM

I have only heard vague remarks of Diablo II. Is it like the Warcraft and Starcraft games? Because I don't like those sorts of games where u click a command like move and then u click something else and the character you selected goes there.

igyman 06-29-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

You're probably not the only one, I get the feeling that many hardcore role players tend to scoff at the Diablo games since they're very light on role playing and mostly a huge hack and slash fest. If Diablo 3 is like the previous installments in the series you will at most get some NPCs monologuing at you when they give you "go fetch" and "go kill" quests, along with some story exposition when you move between acts.

Funny, I thought that was the pure form of RPG games. Deus Ex, KoTOR, Bloodlines, Jade Empire and all other similar games are, to me, combinations of genres. They have an element of adventure games, reflected in ingame dialogues, instead of simple monologues, they have a FPS/TPS element, because of the perspective from which you play and, of course the main RPG element - leveling up, improving skills and equipping your character with the most powerful and expensive armor and weapons. :)

Pho3nix 06-29-2008 03:06 PM

I never played Diablo, but the third installment might spark my interest enough for me to buy it.

Ctrl Alt Del 06-29-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igyman (Post 2486151)
Funny, I thought that was the pure form of RPG games. Deus Ex, KoTOR, Bloodlines, Jade Empire and all other similar games are, to me, combinations of genres. They have an element of adventure games, reflected in ingame dialogues, instead of simple monologues, they have a FPS/TPS element, because of the perspective from which you play and, of course the main RPG element - leveling up, improving skills and equipping your character with the most powerful and expensive armor and weapons. :)

Heh, I couldn't agree more. I think that when we talk about RPGs we must also consider that we're dealing with the most sensitive kind of gamer as well. The purists will probably die before conceding a point contrary to their beliefs on a certain game nature.

Quanon 06-29-2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taak Farst (Post 2486116)
I have only heard vague remarks of Diablo II. Is it like the Warcraft and Starcraft games? Because I don't like those sorts of games where u click a command like move and then u click something else and the character you selected goes there.

Warcraft & SC are Strategy games, though you won't like Diablo, its a mega click fest.

Click to run , click to do an attack and that on hordes and hordes of enemy.

Its a very basic RPG, just leveling up, get loot, sell some loot, repair and upgrade your stuff, with gems, runes and other stuff.

To a small talk here and there, so you know a bit why you"re bashing skulls.
Somehow it works.

mur'phon 06-29-2008 03:26 PM

Igy: I disagree, the whole point of role playing game is to play a role, y'know role play. Lvlng up, improving skills and getting shiny loot is just a way to "create" the character you want to be, as well as showing how the village idiot ended up becoming a angel killing lord of destruction, err saviour of the world. Diablo is an RPG sure, though I find it incredibly hard to role play. (m'kay, I'm an amazon who somehow got stuck in a rogue village far from any jungle, with some insane disease that prevents me from using propper armor.....)
Feel free to disagree.

Quote:

To a small talk here and there, so you know a bit why you"re bashing skulls.
You mean besides getting all that nice loot that somehow get stuck inside big nasty beasts?:xp:

igyman 06-29-2008 04:41 PM

Yes, I agree, but I'm looking at it from a different perspective - the first RPGs were just the same gameplay-wise as Diablo is and has always been, this is why I'm considering that type of RPG to be the pure RPG genre. I do love these new genre mixtures, they are even better than the original RPG genre, but I still consider them mixtures of various genres, instead of simply RPG games.

Rabish Bini 06-30-2008 03:55 AM

Quote:

Yeah, but I'm not a hardcore role palyer, I'm not really a hardcore layer of any genre, except soccer games, but that's not a genre ;)

If Diablo 3 gets good reviews I may get it, otherwise, I won't.

Serpentine Cougar 06-30-2008 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabish Bini (Post 2486503)
If Diablo 3 gets good reviews I may get it, otherwise, I won't.

Same here. It doesn't look like it's anything we haven't seen before. Mindless and repetitive random battles don't spark my interest all that much. Maybe I'll play the demo, but I doubt I'll get it.

Oh, and I think they could have done the logo better, too. The bottom of the "B" should have gone down like the left side of the "A".

igyman 06-30-2008 12:55 PM

The logo is as it was for the first two parts, the only difference is the number three behing it and the coloring. I like that they haven't changed it.

RedHawke 06-30-2008 02:13 PM

I want my Necromancer back or the deal is off! :carms:

Aash Li 06-30-2008 02:20 PM

Me and a friend were going to play Diablo last night, and he started it up and his game was running a Directx test... and I kept having funny thoughts about the game encountering the advanced graphics card and Dx10. xD Itd be like 2010, A Space Oddessy, or maybe the monkey king standing before Buddha.

"What the heck is that thing, how long have I been asleep? What year is it?!"

The Source 06-30-2008 09:42 PM

The mother of all RPGs is on its way! Oh, Yeah!
Wow! Has it been that long since Diablo II? 30+ levels of hack and slash. I wonder if they will modernize the RPG factor. I hope they will add more dialogue and quests. Lol...

I must have played Diablo II for three weeks until I finished it. Once I made it to the end, Blizzard said, "Hold on man! Here are another 100 levels." Lol... What a damn ride. There were moments in Diablo II in which I thought it would end, but then the game just kept on going and going and going. I cannot believe there were that many levels of hell. Lol...

Aash Li 06-30-2008 10:30 PM

Im disappointed there wasnt a thousand levels.. since thats how many hells there are in Chinese mythology. >.>

Ztalker 07-01-2008 04:50 AM

No human finger can survive 1000 levels of Diablo, Aash Li. That's just torture :xp:

Quanon 07-01-2008 05:43 AM

Man, I never got to hell without editing my Saved Game with an editor...
Booo, hiss, Cheater !!

Yeah, I know, but I got so sick of those little guys in the jungle!

( this is Diablo 2, nr 1 I played like a madman untill the end)

Jeff 07-01-2008 01:08 PM

The gameplay video looks amazing. I have actually never played Diablo or Diablo 2 though. I still think this is definitely on my want list.

Fiestainabox 07-01-2008 04:25 PM

Honestly, I'm not a fan of that style of RPG. I tried playing that one other game by bioware, Baldurs Gate? I didn't really like it. Honestly, I prefer RPG's where you make your own character, like Oblivion, Kotor, or World Of Warcraft.

Note To Blizzard: STOP ADVERTISING DIABLO IN THE WOW LAUNCHER
It just drives people to spam trade about how they want to play it so bad -_-

mur'phon 07-01-2008 04:34 PM

You lump Baldurs gate in with Diablo?????
BLAPHEMY!!!!!!:D

The Source 07-01-2008 04:35 PM

If you are looking for another "KotOR" style game, "Diablo III" may not be the right game for you. Depending on how they advance their game engine and technique, Blizzard may not be interested in making an RPG similar to "KotOR", "VtM: Bloodlines", or "NWN". It all depends on if you want a different kind of RPG experience. If you are looking for a new way to play RPGs, I definately suggest you try out the series at least once. "Diablo" is still a type of RPG, but not in the traditional sense.