LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   The Unknown Regions (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=631)
-   -   When in the timeline should the KOTOR MMO take place? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=190642)

darthclydefrog 07-22-2008 01:47 AM

When in the timeline should the KOTOR MMO take place?

Should this game take place before KOTOR or after? Here is a link to the canon time line at wookiepedia.....

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Old_Republic_era

Inyri 07-22-2008 02:09 AM

It would naturally be after so they could capitalize on adding the characters into the game, just like they did with some of the most beloved EU characters in Star Wars Galaxies.

Astor 07-22-2008 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inyri (Post 2498294)
It would naturally be after so they could capitalize on adding the characters into the game, just like they did with some of the most beloved EU characters in Star Wars Galaxies.

Yeah... Captain Panaka became a traitor and an Imperial Moff? Since when did that happen?

For all we know Komad Fortuna could turn out to be an advance agent of the True Sith... :rolleyes:

cire992 07-22-2008 09:45 AM

^ Some story from last year (one that actually said the game would be named "The Old Republic") said that Bioware was looking at about 3500 BBY... a good amount of time after the series. All just rumors of course, kind of an old one, too.

Looking at games like Warhammer and WoW and even SWG, I'd think that the Mandalorian wars would probably be the best timeline, from a gameplay standpoint. And you wouldn't have to worry about Revan or Exile or any of the other series characters because their actions were all set in stone up to that point.
Based on what I've read around the net, the Mandalorian Wars seems to be fan favorite, too. ;)

noizer 07-22-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cire992 (Post 2498384)
^ Some story from last year (one that actually said the game would be named "The Old Republic") said that Bioware was looking at about 3500 BBY... a good amount of time after the series. All just rumors of course, kind of an old one, too.

Looking at games like Warhammer and WoW and even SWG, I'd think that the Mandalorian wars would probably be the best timeline, from a gameplay standpoint. And you wouldn't have to worry about Revan or Exile or any of the other series characters because their actions were all set in stone up to that point.
Based on what I've read around the net, the Mandalorian Wars seems to be fan favorite, too. ;)

mandalorian wars is a great setting indeed. hope they are wise and choose that. and then they can always make a offline game to finish our beloved story from kotor 1 and 2

RyuuKage 07-22-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cire992 (Post 2498384)

yeah, i'm hoping they'll be smart and make the Mandalorian Wars the setting. Since it's Bioware, our chances are good! :D

cire992 07-22-2008 02:12 PM

^ That's the spirit! Have faith in Bioware, they nailed it the first time with this era, after all.

Astor 07-22-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cire992 (Post 2498493)
^ That's the spirit! Have faith in Bioware, they nailed it the first time with this era, after all.

As I keep saying, one success doesn't automatically equate success the next time around.

Plenty of companies have 'nailed it' the first time, and then bombed in subsequent efforts.

Arátoeldar 07-22-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine (Post 2498498)
As I keep saying, one success doesn't automatically equate success the next time around.

Plenty of companies have 'nailed it' the first time, and then bombed in subsequent efforts.

QFE

Iron Rose 07-22-2008 02:49 PM

I was thinking Jedi Civil War. I would like a Mandalorian Wars setting but then I can't be Sith Lord or assassin.

RyuuKage 07-22-2008 02:52 PM

hmm true, i wanna be a sith trooper or commando...

Darca Lar 07-23-2008 06:41 AM

Any old republic war time is good, but I prefer Jedi Civil War.

JCarter426 07-23-2008 07:39 AM

If the rumors are true, it'll be around 500 years after K2.

http://www.ahazi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10846

The Betrayer 07-23-2008 07:44 AM

3963 BBY.

Ctrl Alt Del 07-23-2008 01:26 PM

After Kotor... well, only if it's way after it. I wouldn't risk bashing on the features we've grown to love on the previous two games.

The Jedi Civil War wouldn't do it at all. The entire first game is set on that era, imagine what harm it could cause.

Before the games would be the best option IMO. I can't imagine a more exciting timeline than on the Mandalorian Wars.

cire992 07-23-2008 02:11 PM

Mandalorian Wars: Lots of Jedi, lots of Mandalorians, lots of choices, sequentially involved with the main series' storyline without damaging it... not so many sith. That really is the only problem. Now, the war that's mentioned constantly in KOTOR is the one with Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma from the Tales of the Jedi series, 50 years before K1. It has a big war, jedi, sith and Mandalorians. I think it's a neat idea, but Bioware has had licensing problems with "Tales of the Jedi" before, for example Bastila Shan's original name was supposed to be Vima Sunrider and so on.

Ghost Down 07-23-2008 02:11 PM

Not at all, KOTOR MMO was a bad move and I'm sure alot of the old fans will disappear over time..

cire992 07-23-2008 02:15 PM

^ Not an option (at this stage of the game), and not true. That's like saying Star Wars Galaxies chased away say, Star Wars Battlefront fans. Think about it, it's uplifting. :p

Zerimar Nyliram 07-23-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Down (Post 2499051)
Not at all, KOTOR MMO was a bad move and I'm sure alot of the old fans will disappear over time..

Yeah, I was just about to say: in the Infinities timeline. ;)

Iron Rose 07-23-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del (Post 2499015)
After Kotor... well, only if it's way after it. I wouldn't risk bashing on the features we've grown to love on the previous two games.

The Jedi Civil War wouldn't do it at all. The entire first game is set on that era, imagine what harm it could cause.

Before the games would be the best option IMO. I can't imagine a more exciting timeline than on the Mandalorian Wars.

The first game takes place in the end of the Jedi Civil War, I was thinking more at the begining when the Sith were under the rule of Revan, not Malak. I think this could easily be pulled off with out causing any damage to the first game (or rest of the serries).

RyuuKage 07-23-2008 05:52 PM

I don't think it would harm the JCW if the mmo were during that time period. Considering Bioware were the ones who made up those events in the first place, i'm sure they'd keep it in line with the overall vision we have of Kotor.

I think the beginning of the JCW, maybe as early as a couple of weeks after Revan and Malak return, would be a good starting point.

Ctrl Alt Del 07-23-2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyuuKage (Post 2499173)
I don't think it would harm the JCW if the mmo were during that time period. Considering Bioware were the ones who made up those events in the first place, i'm sure they'd keep it in line with the overall vision we have of Kotor.

The real problem would be the restrictions it would put to the MMO, not whatever damage it could cause. An era such as the Mandalorian Wars is both a time where we never played before and one that have much flexibility as long as the Republic ends up winning.

RyuuKage 07-23-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del (Post 2499249)
The real problem would be the restrictions it would put to the MMO, not whatever damage it could cause. An era such as the Mandalorian Wars is both a time where we never played before and one that have much flexibility as long as the Republic ends up winning.

don't we have that same flexibility with the JCW? I guess the Sith usually win battles and such (until Revan's return), but isn't the same true for the Mandalorians until Revan?

Darth_Yuthura 07-23-2008 09:43 PM

3500 years before the battle of Yavin? Why are most of the weapons pretty much the same? has technology stagnated for a few thousand years and suddenly start improving after Episode I?

Ctrl Alt Del 07-23-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyuuKage (Post 2499256)
don't we have that same flexibility with the JCW? I guess the Sith usually win battles and such (until Revan's return), but isn't the same true for the Mandalorians until Revan?

The Sith would win about every battle at both Revan's and Malak's rule. While, for all we know, the mandalorians would crush many external and mostly unimportant worlds, but that doesn't mean the Republic didn't have their share of victories too. And we must consider that the Sith faction would count with the Star Forge. A little unbalanced, don't you think?

cire992 07-23-2008 10:27 PM

^ The key to the early JCW, the Republic is getting their big galactic butt kicked by the sith. We know all about that. What appeals (to me) about the Mandalorian wars is that it's central to the KOTOR series but at the same time it's relatively unexplored canon.

mattig89ch 09-11-2008 12:33 PM

If they make a K3, then I want to see how the story of Revan ends. After that we can get a K4 that shows us how it began.

TKA-001 09-11-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

3500 years before the battle of Yavin? Why are most of the weapons pretty much the same? has technology stagnated for a few thousand years and suddenly start improving after Episode I?
How did technology suddenly start improving after Episode I? I can't think of any advances except older ship designs being abandoned in favor of newer ones, but there's nothing odd about that.

JCarter426 09-11-2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura (Post 2499309)
3500 years before the battle of Yavin? Why are most of the weapons pretty much the same?

If I recall correctly, technology doesn't change much at all between KOTOR and Bane's era, according to the most recent books (for example, they're still using Hammerheads). 3,500 BBY is smack dab in the middle of the two.

With Star Wars tech you kind of have to just throw logic, reason, and any scientific knowledge right out the window. Go ahead, defenestrate it.

TKA-001 09-11-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

just throw logic, reason, and any scientific knowledge right out the window.
Is there any particular reason to expect technology to advance much further than the level that it was at?

Yar-El 09-11-2008 07:45 PM

Just to simplify for everyone:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
Pub. Aug 2008

Knights of the Old Republic Era

The Great Sith War
4,000-3,995 BBY

The Restoration Period
3,995-3,966 BBY

Tha Mandalorian Wars
3,965-3,960 BBY

The Jedi Civil War (Events of Knights 1 took place here.)
3,959 - 3,955 BBY

The Dark Wars (Events of Knights 2 took place here.)
3,955-3,951 BBY

Revan 411 09-11-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthclydefrog (Post 2498292)
Should this game take place before KOTOR or after?

It should take place somewhere else in the time line. Like in a alternative era. Or if there going to put it somewhere in the time line in the games then it should be 5 years later after KOTOR II...

TriggerGod 09-11-2008 08:26 PM

I'm just gonna post what some people I asked about the timeline (mainly a discussion between me and Militades at TG Forums :p)
The game should be set somewhere in the old republic era. Which covers from about 10,000 BBY and somewhere in the 3,000 BBY. Basically the end of the Infinite Empire Era to about somewhere after the end of the First Jedi Purge (which was the time period before the events of TSL. That was when Traya, Sion, and Nihilus went on the hunt for the Jedi).

adamqd 09-12-2008 06:24 AM

You've got your Chronology wrong Trigger :)

The Infinite Empire was in fact dissolved around 25'000 BBY, and The First Jedi Purge took place between 3,955 and 3,951 BBY, But I agree that an Old Republic MMO should take place in the Old Republic :p.

IMO it would be a good setting if the MMO took place somewhere around the time's of the New Sith wars (Darth Ruin->Early Darth Bane era) around 2000-1000 BBY (which is still within the Old Republic Era, the Rise of the Empire Era begins in 1000 BBY) there's full scale Jedi vs Sith battles, across the whole Galaxy, with Republic army and Mandalorian Involvement, which is a good palette for an MMO style game, But Most Importantly it doesn't Step on my beloved KotOR's toes, lets leave that time frame for KotOR III hey? :)

Ztalker 09-12-2008 07:41 AM

Imo, there's 2 options:

Revanchist time: You have thousands of Jedi running around. And two factions players can join. And if you place it later, in the Jedi Civil War, you have Sith vs. Jedi. Take Sith missions from Revan, council mission from Kavar...it fits.

OR...

X years after Kotor 2. There's nothing there, so you could fill it like Jedi Academy did: Quick training of adults, since there's almost no Jedi left. This would also explain the mass overflow of Jedi, because let's face it: Everyone will play a Jedi. :(

*cough* Jedipokesaberzor1994* would liked to duel you *cough*

Robb Stark 09-12-2008 08:45 AM

If you want to take advantage of Bioware's strengths, storytelling being one of the largest, you want them to have as open-ended a period to work with as possible IMO. That would make anything between Exar Kun and TSL a poor choice IMO.

As much as I hate to admit it, making the MMO KotOR 3 makes the most sense:

-There's a solid foundation of material to work with allowing for greater depth of setting. The previous 50+ years of Star Wars history as of TSL are fairly well-defined.

-Fans are familiar with this period and using it will allow the built in fanbase from KotOR and the various EU media to emerse themselves more quickly.

-The fate of the galaxy is still up in the air (barring the fact that we know the Jedi and Republic survive), as well as the fates of many of the key players of the era, including Revan and the Exile. This allows Bioware to shape your playing experience into a story of the player and his companions saving the galaxy while encountering a number of well-liked and identifiable figures.

-The Jedi Order and the Sith Orders under Revan/Malak and the TSL Triad have been decimated. Allowing the players to partake in the rebuilding of the ordes has the advantage that it can provide an excuse for why the Jedi and Sith are closer in ability to their non-Force sensitive companions than they would be in other periods, allowing for game balance and incentives to play other classes. A lot of the knowledge is lost or hidden and needs to be recovered, and repopulating the Orders will make the influx of adult Jedi more logical.

-The problem with placing the period X (X = ~500-3000) number of years after a hypothetical KotOR 3 is that it would undoubtedly reference lore that would have taken place in KotOR 3 pertaining to Revan, the Exile, and the "True Sith." Again, if we're talking about playing to Bioware's strengths, the depth of world in the MMO will be huge which means entire encyclopedias of new and established Star Wars lore will be involved. Unless a KotOR 3 SPRPG is being developed concurrently to be released around the same time as the MMO, some important details of the story of a future KotOR 3 would be spoiled.

The more I become convinced that our SPRPG will be overlooked, the more I want the MMO to finish the story Bioware began in KotOR. I'm becoming reconciled to it now. If Revan is the Illidan of KotOR and I had to go kill him as one of my endgame objectives, I could live with that. Let it be done with lest a KotOR 3 end up being forced to deviate too far from the games we know by the time they get around to it.

John Galt 09-23-2008 05:49 PM

I'd prefer to see Mandalorian wars, as it is fairly well defined in terms of events, would allow us to interact with familiar characters, and, most importantly, would allow an opening for KotOR III to happen eventually.

Yar-El 09-23-2008 07:56 PM

MMORPG - Star Wars: The Old Republic - The Great Sith War / or The Mandalorian Wars
Knight of the Old Republic 3 - After The Dark Wars

I move for a concensus on finding a new way to shorten these titles. :lol:

Darca Lar 09-24-2008 05:13 PM

3500 BBY sounds about right, I'd say between 3500 - 1500 BBY.

TSi21 09-24-2008 07:34 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing the new KotOR taking place during the New Sith Wars: 2,000-1,000 BBY. If it is indeed the MMO, then everyone that wants to play will have options. There are Sith, Jedi, Mandalorians, the Republic, Battles, Death and Destruction!

It's a great time period for a game that's expected to have thousands of players. Just my 2 cents though.