LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   The Unknown Regions (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=631)
-   -   Knight: MMORPG World Engine (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=190660)

True_Avery 07-22-2008 06:26 PM

Knight: MMORPG World Engine
 
Ok, the Bioware MMORPG is KOTOR. Argue with me if you want; You are in denial.

So, for those of us that are interested in the Knights of the Old Republic MMORPG, this is the game engine and design tools that Bioware is using for this MMORPG.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starw...59&mode=recent

http://www.heroengine.com/home.asp

Here are a few videos on landscape building.
http://www.heroengine.com/world.asp

Default Character System.
http://www.heroengine.com/charsys.asp

And an interesting addition: Smart objects.
http://www.heroengine.com/objects.asp

This engine is fairly new, and Bioware's KOTOR MMORPG will be the first license for HeroEngine.

Jason Skywalker 07-22-2008 06:37 PM

Ok, i'll admit i pretty much skimmed through it but it's not something i really understood. What stood out to me was the character customization system. Here's to hoping it really is more than select a head and outfit.

cire992 07-22-2008 07:06 PM

^ Uh here, here.

Oh, actually it has a full body morphing system. So you'll be able change facial features, body builds and musculature (it can morph the skeleton, too). That's not bad at all.

RyuuKage 07-22-2008 07:56 PM

that's pretty sweet

i hope it's used in future RPG's too, not just MMOs...

Giant Graffiti 07-22-2008 08:43 PM

Wow, I really like the character building system! :D

Rev7 07-23-2008 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True_Avery (Post 2498672)
And an interesting addition: Smart objects.
http://www.heroengine.com/objects.as...om/objects.asp

This link doesn't work for me. :)

--

Yes, I guess that you might say that I am in denial about KotOR III being a MMORPG, but I am not here to argue about that at all. :/ It certainly sounds like a very realistic choice for LA/Bioware to use. It all looks pretty good to me. :) Thanks for the links Avery!

VanishingVision 07-23-2008 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True_Avery (Post 2498672)
Ok, the Bioware MMORPG is KOTOR. Argue with me if you want; You are in denial.

So, for those of us that are interested in the Knights of the Old Republic MMORPG, this is the game engine and design tools that Bioware is using for this MMORPG.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starw...59&mode=recent

http://www.heroengine.com/home.asp

Here are a few videos on landscape building.
http://www.heroengine.com/world.asp

Default Character System.
http://www.heroengine.com/charsys.asp

And an interesting addition: Smart objects.
http://www.heroengine.com/objects.asp

This engine is fairly new, and Bioware's KOTOR MMORPG will be the first license for HeroEngine.

Great post, I dare say best of the week. I have mixed feelings with middleware, I think that in certain cases middleware can be a good thing (Mass Effect using Unreal 3 engine) or a bad thing (SWG using a retooled Everquest engine).

I just hope that with Bioware being able to save so much time with using this middleware (Up to two years of tool/engine development [See HeroEngine.com]); that they focus heavily on unique gameplay mechanics and storyline/questlines.

The Betrayer 07-23-2008 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev7 (Post 2498820)
This link doesn't work for me. :)

--

Yes, I guess that you might say that I am in denial about KotOR III being a MMORPG, but I am not here to argue about that at all. :/ It certainly sounds like a very realistic choice for LA/Bioware to use. It all looks pretty good to me. :) Thanks for the links Avery!

The link was hyperlinked twice.
http://www.heroengine.com/objects.asp
:)

Beast-Thrasher 07-23-2008 01:55 PM

I saw the videos and if this is indeed the engine they use for a KOTOR MMO it should be one of the better looking mmo, the character creation was cool be interesting to see with the different star wars races

Rathoris 07-23-2008 03:54 PM

ill take anything that looks better then WoW and be happy....
Seriously though the engine looks amazing, good feature set and all. I really hope it helps Bioware take off some development time they can then invest on pulling off an impossible MMO with an actual compelling story line.
If they can do that and not make a grind fest as the core system for leveling i could give a rats ass about the graphics. Give my inner nerd the ultimate game! :xp:

Rev7 07-24-2008 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Betrayal (Post 2498911)
The link was hyperlinked twice.
http://www.heroengine.com/objects.asp
:)

Makes sense. Thanks!

lightexile 07-24-2008 10:11 AM

No information besides confirmation has been released for this game.

Where'd you get these links?

noizer 07-24-2008 02:46 PM

well when they make the game to good looking you can have a problem like aoc. nice eyecandy but the game itself sucks. crashes every hour

RyuuKage 07-24-2008 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightexile (Post 2499518)
No information besides confirmation has been released for this game.

Where'd you get these links?

probably googled bioware, mmo, and engine or something. it's got a quote from a Bioware developer on one or more pages...

lightexile 07-25-2008 12:46 AM

Doesn't mean anything.

This game is barely confirmed, let alone the engine confirmed.

Take those links with a massive grain of salt.

JCarter426 07-25-2008 01:04 AM

Er, BioWare has said that's what they're using for their secret MMO project, which I calculate to have a 98% probability of being Star Wars: The Old Republic. 2% probability these meatbags are looking for trouble and need to be blasted. That may be wishful thinking on my part, Master.

lightexile 07-25-2008 01:06 AM

Nerdy HK reference FTW!

Jaypee 07-25-2008 01:22 PM

Bioware Austin talked about their upcoming MMO and the engine they used back in November of '06

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155486

People who talk out of ignorance don't look bright, research 1st. then post like the original poster did.

darth rogue 07-25-2008 04:28 PM

lol hk47 rulz

lightexile 07-25-2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaypee (Post 2500259)
Bioware Austin talked about their upcoming MMO and the engine they used back in November of '06

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155486

People who talk out of ignorance don't look bright, research 1st. then post like the original poster did.


That was my original intention, actually. To look bright for you.

cire992 07-26-2008 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightexile (Post 2499970)
Doesn't mean anything.

This game is barely confirmed, let alone the engine confirmed.

Take those links with a massive grain of salt.

lol :xp:

How's that rock you've been living under feel?

... Unless I have trumped by sarcasm, then only my first comment applies, he he. Either way, just poking fun.

JCarter426 07-26-2008 06:09 AM

Getting back to the engine...

The character creation looks pretty good, and the landscape building looks cool too, except didn't BioWare Austin say they're not going to include the latter?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155486

Quote:

If we're going to create immersive, epic stories that are believable, that really goes against having a simulation-type world. Those two things don't go together well.
Sure, they will be able to use it when they build whatever planets they're using, but it sounds like they're not using it to the fullest extent. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong. :giveup:

RyuuKage 07-26-2008 10:03 PM

i think they're using the tools, but they're not going for a alternate-reality simulation type game like SWG or WOW.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.