LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Prequel Trilogy (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=439)
-   -   Maul, sith lightning? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=191329)

Doctorjones 08-15-2008 02:48 PM

Maul, sith lightning?

Sorry if this has already been posted before, but just out of interest.

Did Darth Maul ever use Sith lightning? I no he doesn't in the Phantom Menace. I would be suprised if he didn't at some point, or maybe he just wasn't strong enough or skilled enough to use it yet?

Any thoughts?

Rev7 08-15-2008 06:04 PM

I sure that he was able to being that Sidious was his master, I personally think that he just didn't use it. He was more of a swordsman fighter. :giveup:

TKA-001 08-15-2008 07:46 PM

I'm under the impression that lightning is not a power that any schmo can use just because they're a dark-sider and they know another dark-sider who can. It's a pretty badass power and can do quite a lot of damage, so I doubt it would be easy for a person to learn.

One might be interested by the fact that Maul uses lightning in both the Episode I movie game and in Jedi Power Battles (a loosely-based action game), but I don't think they can be taken as evidence on their own.

RC-1183 08-15-2008 08:09 PM

i agree with rev i say he couldve he just didnt want to because he would rather cut someone up than shock them

LordOfTheFish 08-16-2008 07:44 AM

I agree with Rev. Darth Maul was most definitely a swordsman

Relenzo2 08-16-2008 01:11 PM

I agree with LordofTheFish. We agree with Rev, Darth Maul was most definately a swordsman. This thread could start to get repetitive.
Darth Maul is certainly not "any Schmo". He was powerful enough for something like that, he probably just didn't want to use it... or even bother to learn it.

teodesetkata 08-20-2008 09:42 AM

Come to think of it, Darth Vader didn't use Lightning, either... at least, in the movies.

Astor 08-20-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teodesetkata (Post 2512979)
Come to think of it, Darth Vader didn't use Lightning, either... at least, in the movies.

That's because he's missing certain essential appendages to be able to do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relenzo
Darth Maul is certainly not "any Schmo". He was powerful enough for something like that, he probably just didn't want to use it... or even bother to learn it.

Given we see Maul for all of about half an hour, how did you reach the conclusion that he was powerful enough to use it?

M@RS 08-20-2008 02:28 PM

Well, he was able to kill a Jedi Master first time, the only reason he got killed was because Obi-Wan was ticked at him for killing Qui-Gon and he was barely able to out maneuver Maul and kill him...

Astor 08-20-2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M@RS (Post 2513097)
Well, he was able to kill a Jedi Master first time, the only reason he got killed was because Obi-Wan was ticked at him for killing Qui-Gon and he was barely able to out maneuver Maul and kill him...

No, he didn't kill a Jedi Master first time - he fought a stalemate on Tatooine, or did you forget that?

He got killed because he was overconfident in his situation - there's no way a mere padawn could kill a Sith Apprentice, right?

But none of that is proof that he knew how to use Force Lightning.

M@RS 08-20-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine (Post 2513102)
No, he didn't kill a Jedi Master first time - he fought a stalemate on Tatooine, or did you forget that?

He got killed because he was overconfident in his situation - there's no way a mere padawn could kill a Sith Apprentice, right?

Acutally I did forget, but even Qui-Gon said that Maul was extremely powerful, what would stop him from using force lightning?

Darth krunchy 08-20-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctorjones (Post 2510926)

Did Darth Maul ever use Sith lightning? I no he doesn't in the Phantom Menace. I would be suprised if he didn't at some point, or maybe he just wasn't strong enough or skilled enough to use it yet?

Any thoughts?

Darth Vader never used Sith Lightning.

ellimar 08-21-2008 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth krunchy (Post 2513268)
Darth Vader never used Sith Lightning.

Darth Vader couldn't use sith lightning because of his robotic limbs/implants.

Darth krunchy 08-21-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellimar (Post 2513397)
Darth Vader couldn't use sith lightning because of his robotic limbs/implants.

Good call, that's why he could choke enemies, right? :rolleyes:

ChAiNz.2da 08-21-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth krunchy (Post 2513693)

Quote:

Though a powerful Sith Lord, Darth Vader's usage of Force lightning was suppressed, due to the prosthetic arm he had fitted to replace a hand lost in battle with Count Dooku, and after the disastrous confrontation on Mustafar (although his trademark use of Force Choke more than compensated for this lack). Vader could not channel lightning through his body for fear of damaging his cybernetic implants, and also meant he became much more vulnerable to the effects of Force lightning. This vulnerability would eventually contribute to his death. Although there is one case where Darth Vader did use Sith lightning. When Darth Vader was in close proximity to the presence of the Kaiburr Crystal on Circarpous V, the amplification effects of the Force caused the Dark Lord's affinity with the dark side of the Force to expand even greater. As a result, the crystal granted Vader the ability to cast Force lightning, normally impossible due to Vader's bionic limbs and life-support systems.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_lightning

M@RS 08-23-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

He's right...duh

PoiuyWired 08-24-2008 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine (Post 2513102)

... or prove that he cannot.

General LiWar 08-24-2008 02:24 AM

Basically, nothing canon says he does/doesn't. However, whether he did or not, I'm going to agree with all of you and say he's a swordsman. In the movies, you never see him use any force powers (except maybe jump, i can't remember), he only relies on his lightsaber.

Astor 08-24-2008 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoiuyWired (Post 2515087)
... or prove that he cannot.

I am aware of that, but I haven't actually said that he can't, I was just asking how others draw the conclusion that he can.

Relenzo2 08-24-2008 09:20 AM

He DID kill Qui-gon Jinn, while Obi-Wan was helping- even if he fought to a stalemate the second time, Qui-Gon had a spaceship that time. So I draw the conclusion he's pretty powerful. But yes, we all think he's the swordsman type. Why else would he be showing off with that double-sided saber? And we never actually see him explicitly use any Force Powers.

Henz 10-12-2008 06:59 AM

We do see him use the force. He throws something into a door lock during the fight, and then force pushes Obi down a hole.

I've always seen the good swordsmen and the strong force users as two ends of the power spectrum personally.

Ultimate Vader 10-12-2008 07:15 AM

Powerful doesn't always mean all-round good. When we see a great blademaster like Kas'im, we can say that he's powerful. When we see Palpatine uses Force Storm, we can say that he's powerful. And it seems that Maul prefer using the force to "empower" his body and use his rage and hate to create force fury. I make prediction like that because he never shows any use of force like sith lightning, but he won't be a sith if he can't use the force. I remember a picture, showing Maul withstands a Sith lightning. I think he's using force fury to withstand that pain. Anyway, there's no evidence Maul uses Sith Lightning, so I don't believe he can.

K_Kinnison 10-12-2008 07:15 AM

As we remember in ANH one aspect of using a lightsaber is using the force for Precognition, increased speed, precision and power. I often see a Force user sable fight as a battle using both mind and muscle... the ultimate test (like Dooku vs YOda) That is when when in the middle of a battle they are literally moping the floor with every non-force user in the battle.

A Galaxy Foreseen 10-24-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M@RS (Post 2513097)

I say my friend,
He could of killed Obi-Wan with the same move that Obi-Wan did on Anakin in there Battle on Mustafar.
But yeah.

But That is beside the point, I agree on the idea of that he could use it but just did not
care to. He, in my opinion used force push more than anything. (as he used it to push Obi-Wan into that pit)

Te Je'karta Mand'alor 05-06-2009 05:27 PM

nope... he never knew how to use it. and i heard from a friend that he thought of his force sensitivity as a curse...? any comments?

Darth Zavier 06-19-2009 01:02 AM

Well sure he could use it, duh. But I don't understand why they didn't have him use it. but, good question, I was going to ask the same thing.

Alexrd 06-19-2009 06:15 AM

Well, he did used Sith Lightning on The Phantom Menace Game, but that's non canon. And everybody knows he focused more on lightsaber battle rather than the Force.

Darth Zavier 06-19-2009 11:12 PM

That's true. Sidious trained him to be the master of hand-to-hand lightsaber combat.

Darth Avlectus 06-22-2009 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teodesetkata (Post 2512979)

I would think that even if he could, it would be disastrous for him: it would destroy or damage all of the electrical machinery in his prosthetic limbs.

Having worked with electricity in real life I could say it also would dig in or bite down into his flesh at edges or sharp points. Not to mention the metal limbs would be excellent conductors of the physical electrical energy portion of force lightning. Also would not be wise b/c he is bionic by necessity and it would damage and fry critical life support systems, severly injuring if not killing him. What little is left of him, anyway.

The following is only in the game and I don't know about canonized content, otherwise:
PS1 SW:Phantom Menace game, at the very last part of your fight with maul, if you are out of saber combat range, maul will repeatedly make a hand gesture and a little red bolt of lightning will leap out of his hand hitting you and whittle away your health until you either die or you fight him. Looks like the bolt that comes from Amidala's droid restrainer, but her's was blue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctorjones (Post 2510926)

Any thoughts?

Other than my example, you'd have to read up on Darth Maul. But I don't think he did. He could have, but I don't think so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Galaxy Foreseen (Post 2544128)
I say my friend,
He could of killed Obi-Wan with the same move that Obi-Wan did on Anakin in there Battle on Mustafar.
But yeah.

But That is beside the point, I agree on the idea of that he could use it but just did not
care to. He, in my opinion used force push more than anything. (as he used it to push Obi-Wan into that pit)

I'll settle for that, I suppose.

Alexrd 06-22-2009 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity (Post 2638260)
PS1 SW:Phantom Menace game, at the very last part of your fight with maul, if you are out of saber combat range, maul will repeatedly make a hand gesture and a little red bolt of lightning will leap out of his hand hitting you and whittle away your health until you either die or you fight him. Looks like the bolt that comes from Amidala's droid restrainer, but her's was blue.

Offtopic: The PC version is way better. :D

Demongo 06-22-2009 07:41 AM

As many of you stated before, he focused on his lightsaber, lightsaber form, combat not on the Force.

Darth Zavier 06-22-2009 02:25 PM

Yes, you are correct, but if he had lived to be on AOTC, he would have used things such as Lightning.

Insignia_Enithma 06-24-2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Ok, so you think a lethal dose of electric running through a robotic appendage would work out well for vader?

Kurgan 06-25-2009 02:31 AM

First off, Maul really did use the Force... notice how prior to Episode I, a lot of fans had this thing about assuming you actually couldn't use "offensive force" during a saber duel, because it required too much concentration or something (at least not against someone who was "well trained").

Maul broke this, using not only the typical "jump," he actually Force pushed Obi-Wan off a ledge while in a saber lock! He also casually used a battle droid part to open a door while fighting two Jedi at once. It's quite clear that whatever this might have been in the original films, it's no limitation on Prequel era Jedi/Sith. Maul has plenty of control over the Force.

Maul isn't the "only a swordsman" guy (did you also notice how he used physical blows like kicks during battle?). For that, you want General Grievous (whose "Jedi arts training" clearly only encompassed fighting, because he had zero defense against a simple push Episode III).

Second, I know that "having hands made of flesh" is something that is offered as an explanation in the Expanded Universe as to why VADER never uses lightning, but it isn't a very satisfying explanation for me. None of the other force powers seem to require physical hands to perform (even the movie "gestures" appear to be a tool of focuser for the user, not strictly required to do something). Couldn't he just channel it through his "stumps"? Why not make the robot limbs out of some material that could safely channel the lightning if that was the issue? (the Prequels demonstrate that this technology exists in the Star Wars universe, and we have no proof that "sith" lightning is really anymore dangerous than any other form of electricity they routinely handle).

The real reason is that Lucas hadn't thought of "Force Lightning" until he started working on Return of the Jedi. By then it could have been chalked up as some kind of mysterious "ultimate power" that only the Emperor knew. Episode II changed all that (well, and the EU for years has basically had every schmo who has been around using it, as mentioned... maybe the "Secret" got out of the bag after the battle of Endor?).

It's really never explained why some can use lightning but others cannot, except the outside the movie "well he didn't have arms so..." which is silly, because we can then ask "so why didn't he get cloned arms so he could throw lightning, if it was so important"?

Then the excuses because sillier.. "he forgot," "too sad," "Palpatine wouldn't let him but he never took it as a slight against him,"

If it was "Palpatine was deliberately holding him back" that's silly because the whole reason Palpatine supposedly switched to Anakin was because he wanted that power and potential for himself. If he had no problem giving Dooku "the secret" (assuming it was) why not Anakin?

And I don't buy the "clone body parts don't have the force" because while this is an EU thing, it's totally at odds with the Episode II novelization. Plus, part of the logic of the Clone troopers is that Force users have influence over them (otherwise what are we supposed to assume, that anyone barking an order at them would gain their loyalty? The Separatists should have used big loudspeakers on the battlefield to countermand them!).

It's just a movie inconsistency, sort of like "Sith Eyes."

PS: Anakin uses lightning in the "Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" game too (so I guess in the game's anything goes, but someone who bought into the "official excuse" could argue that he only uses his left hand for that, which is still organic).

Mandalore The Shadow 06-25-2009 01:10 PM

I think the only sith (in the movies) to use force lightning was Sidious and Tyranus

DarthAwesome 06-28-2009 10:18 PM

As others have said, I think Maul could use force lightning but he just chose not to. It may not have been as powerful as The Emperor's but nevertheless...

Insignia_Enithma 06-29-2009 09:34 AM

I don't think Maul could use lightning purely because he spent most of his energies training for lightsaber combat and applying the force to said combat.

mattig89ch 07-02-2009 01:52 PM

Nah, I always got the impression that lightning was something you could not learn, but something that came naturally to you. thats why vader never used it.

Te Je'karta Mand'alor 08-03-2009 07:06 PM

maul WAS more of a swordsman, but don't think he was able to use it. i mean, he was'nt even a sith lord when sidius was training him.... maybe later in his life though

noizer 10-06-2009 07:45 AM

this is something we will problaby will never know.

for all we know he could use lightning but didnt want to use it.

i prefer to think that he couldnt use it since he was more swordsman then a real force wielder.