LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   The Unknown Regions (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=631)
-   -   A new idea. One that breaks from tradition a bit. (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=191533)

Zerimar Nyliram 08-23-2008 01:14 AM

A new idea. One that breaks from tradition a bit.
 
RakataDark brought up a good point in another thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RakataDark (Post 2514295)
How exactly did they leave it in a cliffhanger? I thought Kotor 2 had a good ending and did finish the storyline. K2 had the Exile leaving to the unknown regions to help Revan. Leaving it ambiguous as to what would happen.

If they made a K3 they would HAVE to put a new person. Because they can't have Revan or the Exile lose their abilities properly. If they did have a Kotor 3 they couldn't find Revan or the Exile in the flesh either. Since everyone would be saying. "Hey thats not how I portrayed Revan/Exile" So technically to avoid a mass amount of gripy fans they can feature The Unknown Regions. But I highly doubt they can feature Revan or the Exile unless they spend more then half their budget on plotline. Which is unlikely.

As well. The next company that wants to make a new kotor game is most likely not going to tell everyone what the gender of Revan/Exile is. To put it simply they want all of the fans buying the next game to find out what it is. But they wont tell them in hopes that they buy KOTOR 4 to find out. It just keeps going on and on.

That having been said, what if Knights of the Old Rebublic III were to break with tradition in that the main character is not a customizable one, but rather a character from one of the previous games and was a companion of either Revan or the Exile? This would be perfect as this character would set out to look for them. My first choice would be Bastila. Having Bastila as the main character would be truly great!

Now, I think it's safe to assume that the next game will utilize a new engine. Let us assume that it will be that of Mass Effect for the sake of this conversation: We wouldn't have the problem with the main character having no voice because the way Mass Effect is set up is so that your main character has voiced lines as well, and when it comes time to choose which dialogue to go with, the choice comes up as the previous character is speaking, and then your character will speak the line you choose. So there we go: we still get to choose our own dialogue, and Bastila (or whoever) still has a voice.

A bit more on the main character: Let's have the game start out where we play as a generic, not-so-important character. Sort of like T3-M4 in the last game's prologue, only someone who is fully capable of speaking and for whom you may choose their dialogue, and it would be a mandatory part of the game. (My choice for this starting character would be HK-47 as he'd be perfect, having a great deal to do with both Revan and the Exile.) During this first mission, dialogue choices let you specify Revan's and the Exile's genders and alignments, much like you dialogue with Atton in the last game. Cut to the beginning of your main character's quest, and depending upon what genders you chose, you may play the rest of the game as either Carth or Bastila, or whomever. (Those would be my choices. And of course this would mean that Carth would need to become a Jedi at some point; and that Bastila's Jedi abilities would need to be greatly toned down, or somehow not present for what ever reason. This way there isn't such a drastic difference at the beginning of the game: starting out as a Jedi or non-Jedi.)

I suppose this would also mean that you would almost have to meet Revan and/or the Exile somewhere down the road, and since they were customizable characters, assigning them canonical faces would greatly upset many people. Unless they simply put them both in masks (which I think is cheesy and a lazy way out; except for Revan if you stated that he was a dark-sider, in which case he may wear his Sith armor), I suggest this: At some point during gameplay, you visit some sort of mammoth computer with a huge database full of details on almost every registered citizen in the Republic. You use this computer to help you track down Revan and the Exile, who were very careful at deleting most details of their identities so as to cover their tracks. As such, you must begin to reconstruct their faces digitally on this computer, and all of the choices presented to you will correspond directly to all of the custom head choices at the beginning of both previous games. Thus, you are able to completely reconstruct Revan's and the Exile's faces as you had them set in the last two games!

Do you guys get what I'm trying to say? Do you like the idea? Of course, we all love our customizable characters (myself included), but given the points that RakataDark has brought up, introducing yet another prominent new character as the main protagonist might greatly produce an air of redundancy, so this solution may be for the best.

Too bad LucasArts and Bioware can't use solicited ideas, huh? If they coincidentally had or ever will have anything similar to this idea planned, I guess I just ruined it by posting it here. :(

MajinMikeyX 08-23-2008 01:56 AM

Mmmmm, I like it, but more for storyline. Carth or Bastila going to search for Revan is pretty good, but I would much prefer a customizable character, with a few party members from the past games.
Don't get me wrong, this idea is really good though, but seems more suited to a book, with the story revolving around a predetermined character

Astor 08-23-2008 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerimar Nyliram (Post 2514520)
That having been said, what if Knights of the Old Rebublic III were to break with tradition in that the main character is not a customizable one, but rather a character from one of the previous games and was a companion of either Revan or the Exile? This would be perfect as this character would set out to look for them. My first choice would be Bastila. Having Bastila as the main character would be truly great!

But they can do that with a customised character built at the start of the game, like at the start of Mass Effect. There was nothing stopping them from using voices in the first two... they just didn't.

There's nothing stopping them from implementing everything you've outlined with a customisable character. I'd rather build my own than be given someone to play as.

Iron Rose 08-31-2008 12:13 AM

I would rather not play as Carth or Batilla, as you sugested. It would make certain choices seem out of character.

Ctrl Alt Del 08-31-2008 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerimar Nyliram (Post 2514520)
That having been said, what if Knights of the Old Rebublic III were to break with tradition in that the main character is not a customizable one, but rather a character from one of the previous games and was a companion of either Revan or the Exile? This would be perfect as this character would set out to look for them. My first choice would be Bastila. Having Bastila as the main character would be truly great!

No, most people - myself included - would greatly oppose this. You said you'd be breaking the traditions a bit, but that seems major for me. Besides, why do this when, as stated by Astor, you can do so perfectly without having to play as a pre-made character.

Aside from the complete loss of identity the game would undergo, people don't like some characters. For example, I hate Bao-dur, so what if he's selected to be the game main character?

TKA-001 08-31-2008 10:33 AM

:wstupid:

Arátoeldar 08-31-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del (Post 2518754)
No, most people - myself included - would greatly oppose this. You said you'd be breaking the traditions a bit, but that seems major for me. Besides, why do this when, as stated by Astor, you can do so perfectly without having to play as a pre-made character.

Aside from the complete loss of identity the game would undergo, people don't like some characters. For example, I hate Bao-dur, so what if he's selected to be the game main character?

QFE

Zerimar Nyliram 08-31-2008 07:42 PM

Uh, well, I'm pretty sure the developer would be smart enough not to use someone like Bao-Dur. (I don't like him either.)

But I do see your point. I suppose there's no reason why all of this can't be done with an original character.

Ctrl Alt Del 09-01-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerimar Nyliram (Post 2519040)
Uh, well, I'm pretty sure the developer would be smart enough not to use someone like Bao-Dur. (I don't like him either.)

Well, it doesn't matter. It was just an example, but no character is unanimous, you can't just force them on the fans.

Druganator 09-01-2008 06:26 PM

well Revan could be in it cuz all theyd have to do is put revan in his outfit and they could have the exile as a girl considering its canon but i think this is kinda moot considering its an mmo

Zerimar Nyliram 09-01-2008 10:24 PM

We're talking about KOTOR III, the proper sequel (if there will be one), not the MMO. The MMO is not a sequel but a spin-off.

Corinthian 09-01-2008 10:26 PM

Properly, the MMO should not contain the Exile or Revan. In fact, if they're smart, they'll set the MMO decades or centuries before or afterwards, like during Exar Kun's era, or during Bane's time.

Zerimar Nyliram 09-02-2008 12:07 AM

Well, if it's the latter then it technically isn't a KOTOR-era MMO, and therefore is being falsely advertised as such. ;) But yes, I do agree with you. In fact, there's 25-000 years of Jedi history to play with, so they can just as easily place it anywhere.

Actually, I hope they change their minds and not make it at all.

JCarter426 09-02-2008 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerimar Nyliram (Post 2519830)
Well, if it's the latter then it technically isn't a KOTOR-era MMO, and therefore is being falsely advertised as such. ;)

That's probably why they're calling it "The Old Republic" instead of "Knights of the Old Republic". ;)

As for the idea...eh, playing as Carth/Bastila doesn't appeal to me for some reason. Or most, I'd wager. And their stories have been told already.

mattig89ch 09-04-2008 01:35 PM

if I may...your idea is a fantastic one. But you'd have to be able to build your own charachter. During the game you would choose the alignment of both revan and the exile through conversations. then, depending on your choices, you could destroy reven with the exiles help, you could destroy the exile with revans help. you could save both, or destroy both ect.

but I like your idea, bringning back the original cast, and...posibly, merging with the newer cast. have bastilla and carth come back (maybe mission) and, with the handmaiden, mira or hanharr, and HK-47's help, do the story.

This is a great idea. I love it, and it could be made to work.

you could even re-visit the previous planets, in an attempt to find revan and the exile.

sakalava47 10-01-2008 03:12 PM

I think they could start with Bastila or Mandalore, but they better have some awesome plot storylines/twists. The plot and the mystery and the history is what made Kotor I so good. The star maps and Rakata mystery were really tantilizing and kept me playing well into the night. Kotor II had a decent plot, but not as compelling or grand. Kotor III should have Exile or Bastila etc finding REvan trying to start a revolution among the "true " sith. So they help him.
I think that they can make Bastila and Exile at least partially customizable in two ways.
1. Start out specifying ds ls or neither and whether bastila or exile are guardian/consular or whatever. Most people decide at the beginning of the game what they want to be during this go around.
2. create new and awesome force powers that only Master Jedi can get, like teleportation, illusion (creating extra "you's"), force turn (making someone turn to light or dark side), weapon strip (suck their lightsaber or gun out of their hand) etc.

Endorenna 10-01-2008 03:22 PM

I don't like the idea of playing as anyone from the previous games...well, except Brianna or Visas. :xp: They were cool! I would say Mission, as well, but she's probably not Force Sensitive, and therefore the main character couldn't wield a lightsaber. That wouldn't work at all!

Corinthian 10-01-2008 03:31 PM

If they amped up Blasters to actually be slightly more than squirt guns, it could work.

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan 10-06-2008 03:32 AM

Quote:

At some point during gameplay, you visit some sort of mammoth computer with a huge database full of details on almost every registered citizen in the Republic. You use this computer to help you track down Revan and the Exile, who were very careful at deleting most details of their identities so as to cover their tracks. As such, you must begin to reconstruct their faces digitally on this computer, and all of the choices presented to you will correspond directly to all of the custom head choices at the beginning of both previous games. Thus, you are able to completely reconstruct Revan's and the Exile's faces as you had them set in the last two games!
that is one *awesome* idea!
IMO they should do anything... as long as they make the plot outrageously, mind blowingly, spine-tinglingly AWE.SOME.
and i personally dont mind if it takes another year,(er, ok maybe not) "just please, LA, make it GOOD!!:(

Endorenna 10-06-2008 04:05 AM

^
That's an interesting idea on how to give Revan and the Exile the proper faces! Sounds good to me!

Hmm, I wonder if I can give the Exile her name and Revan his 'new' name the same way...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.