LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Telos Tourist Bureau (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=575)
-   -   What do you think of Atris? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=192532)

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan 09-27-2008 06:18 AM

What do you think of Atris?

I just did a search and didnt find this, which is quite suprising :P
so i thought id make it myself.

This is a poll on what you think of Jedi Matser Atris from k2 (if you by some chance didnt know).
I've heard some opinions, but it would be interesting to see the stats.
Do you hate her, or love her?
Couldnt care less? State your opininon! :thmbup1:

This thread's icon seems to suit Atris, yes? :D

I chose option 6

TKA-001 09-27-2008 09:48 AM

We already know how this is going to go, and the "Which Council Member" thread had plenty of room for Atris discussion anyway.

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan 09-28-2008 01:43 AM

yeeees well, as i said, i want to see stats.
and 'which council member' was about all the council members. this is to express passion or indifference on only Atris. So if some member just has to let their opinion on atris known, they can post here. And besides, i want to give the people who actually love atris a chance.

luckyariot 09-29-2008 11:14 AM

My opinion isn't up there. :xp: I think she is an interesting character, especially compared to the other Masters, but that doesn't mean I like her. :)

I only wish we knew more about her relationship with the Exile (male and female) and why she is so hypocritically absolute when it comes to the Jedi Code.

Endorenna 09-29-2008 03:42 PM

I hate her guts!!!!! Option 7, no contest!

(She's so much fun to hate. :xp:)

Zerimar Nyliram 09-29-2008 04:02 PM

I voted for "Couldn't care less." She was pretty dull and boring, but she wasn't terrible.

Ctrl Alt Del 09-29-2008 07:03 PM

Firstly, she was designed for the player to despiese her, hate her. At first sight, she seems pretty much like Vrook - as you meet her before the old wrinkled master, you're even led to think she's there to antagonize the player as Vrook did before. Then, her character is slowly developed (especially if you've got Brianna on your party) to something more shady than the picture of a zealous Jedi we paint of her.

It's interesting to see her students, all blind to the Force but a strong wall against it at the same time. It's equally fun to see her turned to the dark side she promised to fight, and see the old woman crumble slowly.

Overrall, it's a somewhat rich character so no, I don't really hate her, she already has enough hate to immerse herself in.

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan 09-30-2008 04:30 AM

Quote:

My opinion isn't up there. I think she is an interesting character, especially compared to the other Masters, but that doesn't mean I like her.
funny, cause the reason behind option 3 is that! :D
its taken as. "atris? yeah. shes cool.:shads2:"(shes ok) not "wow atris? i like her! shes cool!"

Quote:

I hate her guts!!!!! Option 7, no contest!

(She's so much fun to hate. )
yeah what i want to do to her is overwhelm her mind with exile's obviously stronger powers and make her act like a gammorean. :rofl:
but what i REALLY want to do in game is give her a paddywhack and grab exile's ligthsaber back!! that just makes me so mad!! :firemad:
has someone made a mod for that? cause i would LOVE it!!

Quote:

It's interesting to see her students, all blind to the Force but a strong wall against it at the same time.
i find them annoying too. they seem to have inherited her snotnosed point of view and are so obnoxious. i loved kicking their sorry buts in their precious battle!
i havnt played male yet. and what i saw of brianna makes me think i she might be a much more likeable character than the rest of em.

HIGH ON PIE 14 10-01-2008 09:46 PM

The character was a good idea and she was more developed than half of the party members.

I still hate her stinking guts though. :D She's the woman you love to hate. She can rot with her holocrons for all I care. :¬:

@luckyariot: Me too. I would like to hear more about her past with the exile, if just for the sake of knowing. But exile is better off without her anyway.

~HOP

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan 10-01-2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGH ON PIE 14 (Post 2532383)
@luckyariot: Me too. I would like to hear more about her past with the exile, if just for the sake of knowing. But exile is better off without her anyway

that would be pretty good. if perhaps there was a novel explaining it, it might make the first meeting with her more... epic? (cant think of the proper word. meh:raise:)

mattig89ch 10-02-2008 08:24 AM

I wish you could've killed her in the beginning.

The Betrayer 10-02-2008 08:44 AM

I would love to kill her, but that doesn't mean I don't like her story.

Miles Edgeworth 10-02-2008 10:42 AM

I think that the best parts of her character were cut and that you should be able to romance her.

Endorenna 10-02-2008 02:17 PM

Romance Atris?!?!?!?!?!

Gag me...

Sorry, there's just something wrong with romancing the Dark Side half-crazy librarian! :lol:

Ctrl Alt Del 10-02-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endorenna (Post 2532684)
Sorry, there's just something wrong with romancing the Dark Side half-crazy librarian! :lol:

She isn't a librarian. Kreia was, apparently. ;)

Blix 10-02-2008 04:56 PM

I can't say that I "loved" her in KOTOR 2, but her character was somewhat interesting. I guess I'd say she was "cool" if only for the fact that she was screaming darkside from the very beginning and seemed to deny it.

Endorenna 10-02-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del (Post 2532688)
She isn't a librarian. Kreia was, apparently. ;)

Sorry, my bad. :) I heard somewhere that Atris was the Head Archivist.

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan 10-03-2008 02:27 AM

Announcement:
Join the LucasForums group of Atris haters!
http://www.lucasforums.com/group.php?groupid=63;)

Corinthian 10-03-2008 03:56 AM

She's essentially what I like about Vrook - Essentially right, not willing to just forgive and forget, but at the same time, she's almost his Evil Twin. While Vrook's grumpiness conceals genuinely good intent, Atris' self-righteousness conceals genuine evil.

I wouldn't say I like her, but she's a good character.

Endorenna 10-03-2008 07:52 AM

In other words, Vrook's counterpart.

No wonder I hate her so much! :lol:

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan 10-06-2008 03:54 AM

i remember checking out k2 years ago when it came out... in department store flyers and its website. i saw the pics of "that lady in white" in the promo stuff and the impression i got was "wow, she must be some sort of great jedi." must be the game's main character
try looking at k2's cover as a person who hasnt played/heard of it before.
what impression do you get of atris?

Endorenna 10-06-2008 04:00 AM

"Ooo, look, that person in white must be me! Wow, she looks really cool!"

Not! :lol: I was SO miffed when I found out she was another pontificating idiot!

I was the same way with Bastilla on the cover of K1. When I picked out my first head, I was trying to pick out the one that looked the most like her! :lol:

You can probably figure out how well that went...

Corinthian 10-06-2008 05:17 AM

I figured she'd be a significant Good character, probably a member of your party and Nihilus' primary enemy. Instead, her and Nihilus never meet. That whole advertising campaign made no sense, though.

Q 10-06-2008 07:17 AM

She's one of the more interesting characters in TSL. I agree with the Corinthian that she is like a dark mirror-image of Vrook. I always thought that it was too bad that she couldn't join your party like the ad campaign/cover art implied.

All cover/movie poster artists should be hanged.

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan 10-06-2008 05:19 PM

Quote:

That whole advertising campaign made no sense, though.
i agree.
what were they thinking? was it cut out from the game?

about bastila: when i first saw her it was a shock. i expected her voice to be way different than what i heard. i expected an american accent or something.
(since in the OT all the imps were british and the rebels mostly american. AFAIK that was intentional.) but that was great voice acting on jennifer hale's part. i had played jedi academy quite a bit but i only realised it was her when i heard bastila's "ouch" lines. (in battle when she gets hit)

yeah, atris was designed to be hated. and i agree, she is a nicely made character. compared to some party members! i was kind of annoyed at the short backstories behind the party members.
compared to k1's having them as quests, k2's party members were'nt that fun in that aspect.
back to the cover: when i first saw it i had no idea what kotor was like and had no inkling to its story. but they did make atris look quite good (epic) on the cover. that is some nice artwork.
http://file041a.bebo.com/15/large/20...077313136l.jpg
she looks pretty "kick-ass" (lol) in the concept artwork.(IMO better than in game!) i think there's a cut party portrait for her in the game. not sure.
(dial up people: dont worry about the pics. ive compressed these and they should be about 20-30kb each.)http://file041a.bebo.com/15/large/20...077313243l.jpg

mattig89ch 10-07-2008 02:31 PM

Like the last one (I saved it). This is just concept are right?

Arátoeldar 10-07-2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan (Post 2531634)
but what i REALLY want to do in game is give her a paddywhack and grab exile's ligthsaber back!! that just makes me so mad!! :firemad:
has someone made a mod for that? cause i would LOVE it!!

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filef...om_Atris;72493

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan 10-07-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Like the last one (I saved it). This is just concept are right?
yep. official lucasarts concept art. heres some more (compressed as well)
http://file041a.bebo.com/15/large/20...077313486l.jpg
http://file041a.bebo.com/15/large/20...077312943l.jpg

*gasp!* THANK YOU!! :D :luagh6:

Bee Hoon 10-11-2008 12:20 PM

Poor Atris doesn't get any lurve;p Don't get me wrong, she got on my nerves, but I think she was well-written, and one of the most tragic characters. She was in denial about her feelings for the exile (whether female or male--sisterly/romantic?) and I think that she really did want to follow the exile to war, but couldn't bring herself to. Plus the cutscene with Kreia and her was brilliant.

Ahem. Anyway, my :twocents: worth.

Ultimate Vader 10-11-2008 12:42 PM

I think I'm the only insane mortal here to say that I like her. A lot. Well, personally I like woman with face like Atris. Looks cute when serious :). I like women with "sophisticated and wise" voice :).And Atris is a historian, not librarian. I was very sad when I knew that the canon TSL was female Exile, not male Exile. I think she is the hottest among girls in KOTOR 1 and 2 :D. Well, it's my opinion, anyway. But I always up for a debate about Atris :).

HIGH ON PIE 14 10-11-2008 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate Vader (Post 2537087)
Looks cute when serious :). I think she is the hottest among girls in KOTOR 1 and 2 :D. Well, it's my opinion, anyway. But I always up for a debate about Atris :).

Umm...:barf:

But in all seriousness, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I agree with Bee Hoon. Atris was a well written, overall good character. She was one of the more complex ones too. I just did not like her at all.

She looks cooler in the concept art then she ever does in the game. I thought, oh, she'll be the Bastila of K2...but no, she turned out to be an old fusspot. :¬:

~HOP

Burnseyy 10-11-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGH ON PIE 14 (Post 2537158)

She looks cooler in the concept art then she ever does in the game. I thought, oh, she'll be the Bastila of K2...but no, she turned out to be an old fusspot. :¬:

~HOP

When I saw the concept art, I thought she'd be an awesome character. I even thought she'd be part of the crew, but no. No. She turned out to be possibly the most annoying character in the whole game!

Yeah her character was done well, but we all have our favourites and least favourites. ;)

I guess she was important to the game, but that doesn't change my mind about how annoying she was lol.

Revan 411 10-11-2008 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGH ON PIE 14 (Post 2537158)

I don't judge characters from Concept Arts. I judge them by how well written they are and how complex they are. And I like Atris. I don't love her, but I think she's a good character.

She is very well written, and very complex next to The Exile and Kriea. I think they succeed with Atris. With her past with the Exile, and her ties to the Dark Side.

I voted ''She's cool.'' option.

Endorenna 10-11-2008 04:38 PM

I agree that she's very well written. I just don't like her. :lol:

Darth_Yuthura 10-11-2008 07:20 PM

She's demonized in my fic "Shrouded in Darkness" She'll be fairly pleasant in "Prior to Exile."

I hate the character and show it prominently, but it is for good reason. She was just too dedicated to the Jedi beliefs that she came to despise everything that contradicted her. I hate her more than Vrook because he at least had something to back his arrogance... Atris is just ignorant and pitiful.

HIGH ON PIE 14 10-11-2008 07:37 PM

Exactly. Her reasoning was always "because the council said so" or something of the like. She just imitates Vrook without getting Vrook's knowledge. While I don't care for Vrook, I respect him a lot more than Atris.

And no, I don't judge characters from the concept art, but before the game actually comes out we don't have much else to go on. Maybe in the original plan of the game when Atris was to be a party member (if LS) she was more...tolerable. She would have to be, as she was originally a love interest for the male Exile. - Probably the only thing I will never complain about Obsidion cutting out. :xp:

Yeah, good character but still hate her. Still, she is a good source to hate on... there are so many people like her in real life. Act like they know everything when really they don't know squat.

@Endorenna: Exactly. :)

~HOP

Burnseyy 10-11-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGH ON PIE 14 (Post 2537266)
she was originally a love interest for the male Exile.

~HOP

Bleugh.

Darth_Yuthura 10-11-2008 07:49 PM

I found it strange just how fixed she was on her beliefs. I could understand why she would hate the Exile, but why could she have been so obsessed with power that no one in the Council would notice that she had fallen long before she sold them out on Katarr. That was why I hated her so much... because she actively betrayed the jedi and thought she was still following their ways herself.

HIGH ON PIE 14 10-11-2008 08:07 PM

With the council, it appeared that she was fairly submissive to their demands, and was even harsher on the exile then them. She seemed to hold the others in the highest esteem. She even admits that she thought the exile was right in the hearing, but let the others easily change her mind.

When the council split up she started to feel more important. She was "the keeper of the holocrons." She thought she was the last true jedi, the one who would save the jedi order (How she would do this from her icehole, I have no idea). So in that way she thought "I'm the last jedi, sole hope, blah blah blah. Since she was supposedly the last, then her beliefs and the beliefs of the order were one and the same.

As to Katarr...no clue. Perhaps since she thought the exile was right in the hearing, she realized the council was not infalable as she once thought, because they cast the exile out. She started to beleive that since she was 1) on the council, and 2) the only one on the council who at the time thought that the exile should not be exiled than she must have the best judgment.

I don't know, just a theory.

~HOP

TKA-001 10-11-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

she had fallen long before she sold them out on Katarr
First of all, Atris didn't "sell the Jedi out" at Katarr. She was trying to draw their enemy (Nihilus) out so they could kill it. Granted, it was improper for her to not tell anyone else about her real plans, but aside from that there was nothing improper in the execution of said plan, except for the fact that it didn't work (which was unforeseeable). In spite of this, you keep talking about it like she deliberately got them all killed just to be a bitch.

Second, do you have any evidence that Atris was a Dark Jedi (or whatever) at any point before TSL other than the fact that she speaks somewhat rudely when talking to the Exile at the trial?