LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Telos Tourist Bureau (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=575)
-   -   What is Nihilus saying... (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=192994)

mattig89ch 10-14-2008 01:59 PM

What is Nihilus saying...
 
completely off topic, but has anyone ever managed to figure out what Nihilus is saying?

(this question was inspired by Christos K's sig)


interesting question, so I split it in to it's own topic rather than derai lthe other thread :) - Cz

ChAiNz.2da 10-14-2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattig89ch (Post 2538583)
completely off topic, but has anyone ever managed to figure out what Nihilus is saying?

(this question was inspired by Christos K's sig)

Not to further derail the thread.. but I could swear it's some filtered version of Monty Python's monk chant.
I swear I'm not on drugs.... currently.... at this particular time & moment... really.... >.>

"Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem"

EDIT: Decided to just make it a thread on it's own ;) - Cz

Inyri 10-14-2008 02:24 PM

Just start coughing/spasming. You'll get Nihilus-y eventually. :p

TKA-001 10-14-2008 02:41 PM

I'm pretty sure it's intended to be the language used by the ancient Sith (that is, the species).

Zerimar Nyliram 10-14-2008 03:39 PM

Correct. It has long been theorized that Nihilus is speaking Sith (the language of the extinct species native to Korriban), and the Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide has now confirmed it, making it canon. As for what he is saying, it's just gibberish. The game designers didn't give it much thought. (The Sith spoken by Atris' holocrons and by Nihilus sound quite different, though both have been confirmed to be the Sith language.)

Ztalker 10-15-2008 09:30 AM

Heard he sacrificed the ability to speak in favour of power/immortality (chaining his soul to his armour).

Anyways, I could swear he demanded Visas should get him a shrubbery in one of the cutscenes.

Q 10-15-2008 10:59 AM

I always thought that he sounded like a dying pipe organ. :p

mimartin 10-15-2008 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattig89ch (Post 2538583)
completely off topic, but has anyone ever managed to figure out what Nihilus is saying?

Though my far exceeding knowlege of sound and recording. knowlege that far exceeds ChAiNz,:xp: I have been able to interpt what Nihilus is saying. Warning this is not for the faint of heart.
spoiler:
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

Endorenna 10-15-2008 11:37 AM

Nah, nah-nah-nah-nah, you got it all wrong! This is what he says! :xp:

Ash Nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul!

ChAiNz.2da 10-15-2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimartin (Post 2539057)
Though my far exceeding knowlege of sound and recording. knowlege that far exceeds ChAiNz,:xp:

:lol: Like that's hard to accomplish :xp:

Show spoiler


Quote:

Originally Posted by Endorenna (Post 2539071)
Nah, nah-nah-nah-nah, you got it all wrong! This is what he says! :xp:

Ash Nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul!

hehehe... reminds me of another LotR line from smeagol that fits perfect for Nihilus ;)

"We could let HER* do it. Yes. She could do it. Yes, precious she could. And then we takes it once they’re dead. Once they’re dead…Shh…"

*- Visas

Zerimar Nyliram 10-15-2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ztalker (Post 2539018)
Heard he sacrificed the ability to speak in favour of power/immortality (chaining his soul to his armour).

Anyways, I could swear he demanded Visas should get him a shrubbery in one of the cutscenes.

Yeah, his ability to consume life started to consume his own body, which made it rapidly deteriorate. To save himself, he detached his consciousness from his body and attached it to his armor. So basically beneath the robes is just a swirling mess of dark side energy, with no corporeal body.

TKA-001 10-15-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

and attached it to his armor
...in order to "explain" what the Legacy comic writers said while smoking weed. Funny how I don't recall ever seeing Nihilus wearing armor.

mattig89ch 10-16-2008 08:19 AM

so there really is now way to figure out what he says huh?

Ultimate Vader 10-16-2008 09:30 AM

There is some way. You can use a translater device that knows Sith language (like in KOTOR 2, but more sophisticated). Or record the voice and ask a sophisticated protocol droid that knows every language in the galaxy. Or learn the Sith language from someone or something who knows the language.

Ztalker 10-16-2008 10:55 AM

Always wondered why Visas was the one who got subtitled though...

Lance Monance 10-16-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerimar Nyliram (Post 2539230)
So basically beneath the robes is just a swirling mess of dark side energy, with no corporeal body.

But Visas stated that he's a man when she took off his mask. oÔ

TKA-001 10-16-2008 02:24 PM

That the jeenyouses at LA for you.

Corinthian 10-16-2008 04:24 PM

You can also see the outline of a face under the mask.

Zerimar Nyliram 10-16-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKA-001 (Post 2539249)
...in order to "explain" what the Legacy comic writers said while smoking weed. Funny how I don't recall ever seeing Nihilus wearing armor.

Don't be so anal. I think you know perfectly well what they were referring to: his outfit. ;) Perhaps it was simply a poor choice of words? Or perhaps the writers thought "outfit," "costume," "robes" or "clothes" didn't sound strong enough for the idea of confining one's soul? Or perhaps Krayt was simply slightly mistaken in his studies? (Not that off, thought.)

Or perhaps they really did mess that one up? Even so, who cares! It's no big deal!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance Monance (Post 2539544)
But Visas stated that he's a man when she took off his mask. oÔ

I knew someone would bring that up. :) I debated with myself whether or not I should mention it when I made that post, but it was late and I was tired.

Anyway, I think Visas was simply lying. I think what she actually saw was a bottomless pit of rage, hunger and anguish, and it disturbed her so much that she couldn't speak of it when asked what she saw.

Sort of like opening Pandora's Box.

Ztalker 10-16-2008 05:06 PM

^
Miraluka's can't see? They see through the Force. Maybe he original face?

TKA-001 10-16-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Don't be so anal. I think you know perfectly well what they were referring to: his outfit. Perhaps it was simply a poor choice of words? Or perhaps the writers thought "outfit," "costume," "robes" or "clothes" didn't sound strong enough for the idea of confining one's soul? Or perhaps Krayt was simply slightly mistaken in his studies? (Not that off, thought.)
I'm not being anal. I think it's reasonable to assume a human being with a standard level of intelligence would be able to figure out the difference between robes and armor.

Zerimar Nyliram 10-16-2008 11:33 PM

True, but the things I said to that still stand. I say that my theory about it being a small misunderstanding on Krayt's part is the most plausible in-universe explanation. After at, it has been over four thousand years; and in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a misunderstanding at all. ;) Plus, let's not forget that history tends to get distorted over time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ztalker (Post 2539638)
^
Miraluka's can't see? They see through the Force. Maybe he original face?

Hahaha! You're absolutely right. How could I have forgotten about that? How silly of me!

Your theory that she may have seen his original face in the Force certainly makes a lot of sense, and I wouldn't be surprised if you were correct.

Bee Hoon 10-17-2008 10:15 AM

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this (as I think I picked up the idea from somewhere out there on the internet), but I believe that what she was trying to say was that in the end, the being who held destroyed Katarr and held so much sway over her...was just a man. No more, and no less. She was no longer his slave.

Zerimar Nyliram 10-17-2008 07:40 PM

That sounds pretty solid as well. Probably the most sensible theory I've heard yet.

HIGH ON PIE 14 10-17-2008 08:45 PM

http://www.madolin.com/images/comics/aodmad/10.jpg

~HOP

TKA-001 10-17-2008 09:04 PM

I don't get it.

HIGH ON PIE 14 10-18-2008 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKA-001 (Post 2540120)
I don't get it.

Well, then let me explain. The topic of this thread is "What is Nihilus saying?" There were comments made about how Nihilus has no subtitles while Visas does. This comic is just making a jab at Nihilus' speech and how he fails to notice certain things. Since the subject of the thread is Nihilus speech, and I had this pic on hand, I decided to post it. I found it humorous.

If you mean you don't actually get the comic it is just showing how Nihilus seems all powerful but really is a joke when you actually fight him. His weakness in the game (I know his planet killing power is awesome, but I mean compared to the exile.) is shown by his ridiculous act of stepping in toilet paper. The exile is the freaky purple skinned girl. I thought it was fairly straightforward. :)

~HOP

Da_man 10-18-2008 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ztalker (Post 2539018)
Anyways, I could swear he demanded Visas should get him a shrubbery in one of the cutscenes.

Or cut down the tallest tree in the forest...WITH A HERRING!

So if it is Sith language, is there a translation handy on the 'net somewhere?

Ultimate Vader 10-18-2008 02:01 AM

Maybe. But who has the will to make such a language?

Endorenna 10-18-2008 02:11 AM

Only a Sith Lord with as much time on his hands as Nihilus. After all, all he does all day is stand on the bridge staring out a window and occasionally eating a planet! That has to get boring after a while! (Confidentially, he'd much rather be playing with those jacks he has hidden in his sleeve...but it's not a very Sithy thing to do. :xp:)

Ultimate Vader 10-18-2008 02:20 AM

I think genius people can learn the Sith language :)

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan 10-18-2008 03:15 AM

Quote:

Perhaps it was simply a poor choice of words? Or perhaps the writers thought "outfit," "costume," "robes" or "clothes" didn't sound strong enough for the idea of confining one's soul?
Quote:

I think it's reasonable to assume a human being with a standard level of intelligence would be able to figure out the difference between robes and armor.
maybe he had armor under his robes?
Quote:

Yeah, his ability to consume life started to consume his own body, which made it rapidly deteriorate. To save himself, he detached his consciousness from his body and attached it to his armor. So basically beneath the robes is just a swirling mess of dark side energy, with no corporeal body.
wow, where'd you hear that?

Endorenna 10-18-2008 09:48 AM

^ It's on Wookiepedia. Search 'Nihilus', and you'll find it. :)

Ztalker 10-18-2008 01:27 PM

^Which is sourced. The armor theory is explained in the Legacy comics (Sith wants eternal life, probes Nihilus holocron). Just click on the sources to look :)

Zerimar Nyliram 10-18-2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da_man (Post 2540233)
So if it is Sith language, is there a translation handy on the 'net somewhere?

As I said before, the game developers didn't put much thought into what Nihilus was saying. They simply had the voice actor speak gibberish, played it backwars (I'm assuming), messed with it using some audio-editing software, and then used it. His language has only recently been retconned to have been the Sith language by The Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide, whereas before it was nothing at all and the developers didn't care.

So no, it is impossible to translate what he is saying because it's just gibberish that has been officially name "the Sith language." ;) We do, however, know a few words and phrases, as can be read here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate Vader (Post 2540284)
Maybe. But who has the will to make such a language?

I do, actually! :D I intend to eventually write stories revolving around the founding of the Sith Empire (which I intend to be actual novel ideas to be published under Lucas Licensing, once I've made a name for myself with original stories and caught their notice, hinting that I'm very interested). I have asked my friend, who has an impeccable ear for languages, to help me create a working Sith language based on what we hear from Darth Nihilus and Atris' Sith holocrons, as well as the word structures that can be seen on the page that I just linked you all to.

Giant Graffiti 10-18-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerimar Nyliram (Post 2540559)
They simply had the voice actor speak gibberish, played it backwards (I'm assuming), messed with it using some audio-editing software, and then used it.

Nihilus had a voice actor? I always thought they just played the sound of a monkey screeching over the sound of a toilet flushing.

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan 10-18-2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Nihilus had a voice actor? I always thought they just played the sound of a monkey screeching over the sound of a toilet flushing.
the monkey was what was in the robes...

Haroth 10-29-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bee Hoon (Post 2539896)
I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this (as I think I picked up the idea from somewhere out there on the internet), but I believe that what she was trying to say was that in the end, the being who held destroyed Katarr and held so much sway over her...was just a man. No more, and no less. She was no longer his slave.

I was never quite certain how one would see "through the force," but when I see that scene, I typically assume the same thing. Visas's voice isn't really quivering or fearful. In fact, it sounds quite the opposite. Contemptible and irony-ridden.

I like that entire scene, though, even though I never have Visas in my party.

A Galaxy Foreseen 10-29-2008 05:52 PM

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_language

I read on Wookieepedia that he was speaking a sort of Sith Language. Read about it above (click on the link)

:)

Zerimar Nyliram 10-29-2008 10:32 PM

Whoa, really? No one here has mentioned anything about it being a Sith language yet! :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.