LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Tython Temple (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=732)
-   -   RPG vs. MMORPG (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=193170)

Titanius Anglesmith 10-21-2008 06:20 PM

RPG vs. MMORPG

Basically, is the announcement that this is an online game what you've been waiting for or is it a big disappointment? Would you have preferred what we seem to be getting, or a single player game that ties up the story from the two KotORs?

I definitely would've preferred the latter.

Da_Man_2423 10-21-2008 06:23 PM

I would have preferred both...so now I can't vote on either.

Astor 10-21-2008 06:30 PM

Single player, definately. I'm disappointed that they seem to have cast aside all they've done for KOTOR and killed it off with just 'He's dead'.

Jae Onasi 10-21-2008 06:33 PM

Added a couple options to the poll.

the-obiwan 10-21-2008 06:37 PM

singleplayer of course!

Da_Man_2423 10-21-2008 06:46 PM

I don't know man, that Yoda idea is looking like a good choice at the moment.

Arátoeldar 10-21-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine (Post 2542159)
Single player, definately. I'm disappointed that they seem to have cast aside all they've done for KOTOR and killed it off with just 'He's dead'.

Agreed

SW01 10-21-2008 07:22 PM

Single Player. I have not yet used an MMO, and would regardless prefer to be free to explore the story (and mod, and cheat, and restart, etc., etc.) at my own leisure.

Jeff 10-21-2008 07:40 PM

Ever since this game was just rumors I have thought that an MMO in the KotOR Universe would be very good if done right. I do not think I can say which I would prefer, as the original KotOR is still my favorite game, but I would not argue with either.

Ctrl Alt Del 10-21-2008 08:39 PM

For me it'd be certainly singleplayer. The announcement wasn't a disappointment, though, because it was clealy expected. Still, it's far of what I truly wanted.

Yar-El 10-21-2008 09:11 PM

Characters seem plastic or World of Warcraftish. Is this due to it being pre-alpha?

Da_Man_2423 10-21-2008 09:13 PM

I hope so. I honestly hope they don't look like that come launch day.

Ctrl Alt Del 10-21-2008 09:34 PM

^ I fear the cartoonish design may derivates from the use of the Hero engine on the game....

Yar-El 10-21-2008 09:37 PM

Can someone explain the Hero engine please?

SpartanPride 10-21-2008 09:42 PM

Uggh... Single player. Man - I don't know how well this game is going to do in the market, with all of the series fans giving it a bad wrap.

I hope some LucasArts or Bioware representative is keeping track of this pole.

Ctrl Alt Del 10-21-2008 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yar-El (Post 2542427)
Can someone explain the Hero engine please?

It would be healthier to read directly from the source.

On a second thought, the unreal design may very well been just an artistic choice.

Yar-El 10-21-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del (Post 2542432)
It would be healthier to read directly from the source.

On a second thought, the unreal design may very well been just an artistic choice.

Thanks Ctrl Alt Del!

Darth_Yuthura 10-21-2008 11:05 PM

It doesn't matter as long as it is KOTOR 3 and not a sad fake like "the old republic" If the story were set properly, then gameplay would be just as good one way or another to me.

Swanea 10-22-2008 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yar-El (Post 2542394)
Characters seem plastic or World of Warcraftish. Is this due to it being pre-alpha?

I wouldnt say WoWish, Id lean more towards CoHs. It looks like Superheros with everything so...plastic shiny.

And it was stated that it is all Pre-Alpha footage. So, It is not something to worry about. It is easily worse than the graphics in the original KotOR.

Rev7 10-22-2008 12:56 AM

Single-player

Prime 10-22-2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

Single player, definately.

Me too. But I'll see how this pans out.

Quote:

I'm disappointed that they seem to have cast aside all they've done for KOTOR and killed it off with just 'He's dead'.

Actually, that is something that I really like about this.

Christos K 10-22-2008 09:47 AM

I still would like K3 but until than I have hopes and feelings TOR will be good.

Jason Skywalker 10-22-2008 02:25 PM

Yoda.

Also, inb4 Sing-damn, too late.

CrisG 10-22-2008 02:37 PM

I wish people would stop trying to be negative and enjoy this wonderful advancement, KoTOR I and II were wonderful but they are part of the past, and this is the present and the future. There will be much to appreciate and experience I am sure from the KoTOR world and there is every reason to appreciate it. So what they are making for us is a combination of both single and multi and you did not have a category for that so i will not vote.

SpartanPride 10-22-2008 08:38 PM

^CrisG - Umm... if KOTOR III would have been made, it would of been a lot like Mass Effect, which just so happens to be a "Present and the Future" type of game.

The last thing I want to do is go into the town, where everyone is begging for "12 MOAR PEACES OF SIBLER PLZ."

I quit WoW for a reason. MMORPG's drain money, too. Kind of depressing...

LukeDavis93 10-22-2008 09:32 PM

the MMO will totally blow, I would much rather have KOTOR 3, and if I ever get the MMO it will be used as toilet paper

RyuuKage 10-22-2008 11:13 PM

Singleplayer.

Revan and the Exile are too important to just eliminate with no information.

Web Rider 10-22-2008 11:51 PM

I don't mind an MMO aspect to the game, such as for larger events or pure socializing or for RP sessions, but I'm not really interested in a strictly MMO ala WoW.

Personally, I enjoy the KOTOR games for the single-player experience.

Tommycat 10-23-2008 12:03 AM

MMO, Revan and the Exile are too powerful to let live.

urluckyday 10-23-2008 12:06 AM

Single player by far...not b/c I care bout the ongoing story...not b/c I think they couldn't get an MMO right (I think if anyone, Bioware can make a killer MMO)...it's b/c MMO's as a whole suck. Let's buy the game and then pay monthly (around 15 bucks!) to play...not a good deal at all...who knows, this could change my opinion, but don't count on it...

Tommycat 10-23-2008 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urluckyday (Post 2543156)
Single player by far...not b/c I care bout the ongoing story...not b/c I think they couldn't get an MMO right (I think if anyone, Bioware can make a killer MMO)...it's b/c MMO's as a whole suck. Let's buy the game and then pay monthly (around 15 bucks!) to play...not a good deal at all...who knows, this could change my opinion, but don't count on it...

You don't have cable then?

Web Rider 10-23-2008 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommycat (Post 2543160)
You don't have cable then?

Another downside to MMOs, while I was impressed at the ability of WoW to run over a low connection, a more powerful connection than dial-up is pretty much a requirement. I pay $60 for my connection a month, add $50 for the game, and then $15 a month, and while the base cost of the game is spread out infinitely over play time, I'm now paying 25% more on my internet bill, just for ONE game. Little much don't ya think?

Tommycat 10-23-2008 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Web Rider (Post 2543161)
Another downside to MMOs, while I was impressed at the ability of WoW to run over a low connection, a more powerful connection than dial-up is pretty much a requirement. I pay $60 for my connection a month, add $50 for the game, and then $15 a month, and while the base cost of the game is spread out infinitely over play time, I'm now paying 25% more on my internet bill, just for ONE game. Little much don't ya think?

I wasn't talking about cable internet. I was talking about cable in general. See this is the same argument that was used against cable TV for the longest time. Why pay a monthly fee. I already paid for my TV, why would I spend money monthly to watch TV?

SWG runs on dial up. Most MMO's run over a dial up connection.

Taos 10-23-2008 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmorgy (Post 2542133)
Basically, is the announcement that this is an online game what you've been waiting for or is it a big disappointment? Would you have preferred what we seem to be getting, or a single player game that ties up the story from the two KotORs?

The original Kotor game was what brought me here to Lucasforums so many years ago. I just loved that game, I'll never forget how I felt at the spoiler moment either - totally never saw it coming lol. The second was pretty good, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first, mostly because of the way it ended.

Now to answer your question, I would have been happy either way. I love the time period. That said, I am extremely happy to have a chance to play Kotor in an online world with friends I've made from other games. Should be a great experience. :)

Web Rider 10-23-2008 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommycat (Post 2543167)
SWG runs on dial up. Most MMO's run over a dial up connection.

True, but there's no denying they run BETTER over a faster connection. Opening a web page can kill your WoW connection on dial-up.

K_Kinnison 10-23-2008 12:44 AM

Sadly true "Role-play" is hard to do with a computer game. Since it is hard to come up with all the ways someone may react, and then the repercussions later on... eventually through trial and error people will figure out the decision tree and tell everyone how to arrive at the goodie they wanted before they even start.

Katarn84 10-23-2008 06:18 AM

Single palyer, it always has a plot, and once you purchase the game you play for free, MMOs don't have plots and you must pay to play...

lokfan78 10-23-2008 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrisG (Post 2542857)
I wish people would stop trying to be negative and enjoy this wonderful advancement, KoTOR I and II were wonderful but they are part of the past, and this is the present and the future. There will be much to appreciate and experience I am sure from the KoTOR world and there is every reason to appreciate it. So what they are making for us is a combination of both single and multi and you did not have a category for that so i will not vote.

I hope it's not the future. Plenty of people still like single player games. And many people do not play MMO's. I kind of hope it tanks spectacularly so they have to make a proper SP game to recoup their losses

Tommycat 10-23-2008 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Web Rider (Post 2543179)
True, but there's no denying they run BETTER over a faster connection. Opening a web page can kill your WoW connection on dial-up.

Well to be fair, you use your internet connection for more than the game, soooooo you aren't just paying extra for the better running game haha.

But really the whole point is that people pay monthly fees for entertainment all the time. In some cases spending 15 a month is less than they would have spent on other entertainment... Kept me out of bars. I know I spent more in bars than 15 a month. So I got a net savings of hundreds haha.

Yar-El 10-25-2008 01:23 PM

I have fought over this for several days. I keep flipping back and forth on this issue. I finally realized what I'm feeling. The Old Republic should be made into a singleplayer game. Why? It will feel more personal to me. I love the whole premise behind this game; thus, I have been fighting over my feelings for days. I have a Jedi on one shoulder and a Sith on the other. Each are making a hard to disagree with case. Its looks like an amazing game; however, I see some very convincing cons. (1) Spending monthly costs on an internet connection and game subscription is too high for me. (2) Spending the money so an angry player can kill me while I make progress is also annoying. (3) Being bothered by other players while wanting to explore alone is also annoying. I like playing games alone in my den. I go to work everyday, and I interact with the office gang. I walk through the door after a long day, and I just want to be left alone. Games allow me to push away human contact after a long day. Massive online roleplaying games require a level of human contact; thus, I want a singleplayer game that doesn't meet that requirement. Games are my escape from life.

Does this mean that I overall hate this game? No. There is some amazing things being done; therefore, you can see the pain in my decision. Visiting Korriban once again would be great; however, I just can't get passed why I like playing games. I do it to escape from human contact. Its that simple.