LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   LucasCast Discussion (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=744)
-   -   [Episode] LucasCast: Episode 2 (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=196307)

Jeff 03-09-2009 11:23 AM

LucasCast: Episode 2
 
http://64.20.36.214/lucasforums.com/...hreadtitle.png

In this second episode we talk about what games we are playing lately, zombie games, what games we want LucasArts to make, DLC issues, and more.

Release date: 9 March 2009

Download page: www.lucascast.com/episode-2/

Summary:
  • What games we are playing
  • How 2009 is the Year of the Zombie
  • Movies we are looking forward to in 2009
  • What games we want LucasArts to make
  • Why Download Content is becoming a bad thing
Extra information and resources:

This section contains spoilers. Please listen to the podcast episode before you view the hidden area.

Show spoiler


Comments:

Please leave us comments! Let us know what you think of the episode, and if you have any questions you want answered on the show, use our contact form or email us at questions@lucascast.com.

We hope you enjoy the show!

Hermie 03-09-2009 01:23 PM

Oh my, great show! I have so many comments, I'm gonna relisten and add them here as I listen through. Consider this a placeholder for now. :p

here we go:
I wouldn't count Dead Space as a zombie game, because the most fearsome part of zombies has always been the horde part of it. One or two zombies aren't scary. One hundred are. This is exactly why Chop Till You Drop will be a failure, at least critically.

FIIIVE!

The interesting thing about playing as the zombies in L4D is not what you do as an individual, it's all about the teamwork, coordinating an attack. if you just jump at the group as a hunter, you get killed right away. But if you jump around a bit in front of them, they will focus on you, while the boomer comes in from behind, sprays them all, so now they can't see, and have regular infected everywhere. Now the hunters and smokers can attack, picking people out while the others can't do anything about it, and it feels so satisfying to watch a plan go through like that.


The theory is that Kirk is rebelling, because he only has the black shirt, and no captains insignia.

Hugh > Bale. (AH-DA-DA-DA-DA LIKE THIS IN THE BACKGROUND!)

Fanboys has had a limited release, the Weinstein Company has apparently decided it wont make money. The reviews were not that great, though. =/

You all need to see the trailer for Pixars Up. Completely different from the cut-and-paste talking animated animals. Looks great. ^^

I definitely want a new Jedi Knight game. AND a new X-Wing. AND KotOR 3.
...Damn LucasArts. ;_;

IF they made a new flight sim, would they put it on the consoles? They probably would, because that's how they make the most money, but would they succeed, or would it be too advanced?

The DLC issue is ridiculous. The developer has learned that instead of finishing a game, they just add it on afterwards, AND make more money. And it wont stop anytime soon, simply because it works. People are buying it, and the developer makes more money, in addition they prevent used game sales.

The two companies that have been doing it right, are Valve and Criterion. You touched on the free DLC for L4D, but they have already done the same for Team Fortress 2 for PC. They've added one new game type, several maps, a lot of them community made, 12 alternate weapons, and they keep rebalancing and tweaking it. All this for free. And this is why people are still playing it religiously, one and a half year later.
For that reason I'm curious how they get to release the L4D DLC on 360, because they went out and said how they weren't allowed to do it with TF2.
Criterion has done the same for Burnout: Paradise. They release some stuff for free, and some for pay. And now, BECAUSE people have gotten stuff for free, they are more willing to pay for the new cars.

Lynk's voice is like melted chocolate in my ear.

Jed! <3

urluckyday 03-09-2009 02:28 PM

Good stuff guys, keep it up.

Lynk Former 03-09-2009 02:43 PM

About Zombies and Dead Space... the enemies in Dead Space are called Necromorphs... essentially they're dead humans who have been reanimated and mutated into these hideous alien-like creatures. To be honest, they are more zombie-like than the Ganado's and Majini in Resident Evil 4 and 5. The Ganado's and Majini are live humans that are being controlled by parasites... :p

Hermie 03-09-2009 02:56 PM

Different definitions, I suppose. :p Like I said, to me zombies are about the horde of human-like monsters coming at you at once, and it's not that important if they are actually reanimated or not.


(In L4D, Zoey actually points out that zombies aren't supposed to be this fast. She's calling zombie bull**** on it. ^^)

Litofsky 03-09-2009 02:58 PM

A very nice podcast, everyone! My favorite part was Jae's comment about Jaws and scary games/movies, that went along the lines of, "Oh crap, the shark's gonna eat him." :p

Mav 03-09-2009 06:16 PM

Cheese thread = win

I enjoyed the 'cast, some people 'complain' that the first episode seemed unstructured and conversational, but that's what I like about it. It's not a lecture it's just a bunch of people with a common hobby and different opinions talking about stuff, I like it.

It was interesting to hear about what you all are playing, I think that is great introductory segment that can be used frequently. I'm definitely with Niner and Moel on bringing back a X-Wing/TIE Fighter game, though another podracer game would be sweet too. It was awesome on the 64, wasn't it like C-Left/Right to knife-edge the pod to squeeze b/w cracks? XD Also completely agree on the DLC issue with pretty much most of the points that were brought up, especially the PoP DLC, crap's ridiculous.

Metallus 03-09-2009 06:51 PM

Groovy, why are you such a hater? Playing as infected is pretty much the best. :)

M@RS 03-09-2009 11:29 PM

Too bad this is the year of the Zombies... I'm not into the zombie type of game... : /

Jae Onasi 03-09-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litofsky (Post 2599464)
A very nice podcast, everyone! My favorite part was Jae's comment about Jaws and scary games/movies, that went along the lines of, "Oh crap, the shark's gonna eat him." :p

I have put many a blanket over my head and peeked out of a tiny opening when I heard that distinctive John Williams theme. :lol: I've seen that movie more times than I can count, too, because the verbal play between Scheider and Dreyfuss is terrific.

Darth Groovy 03-10-2009 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metallus (Post 2599552)
Groovy, why are you such a hater? Playing as infected is pretty much the best. :)

Meh, I hated it... :p

Metallus 03-10-2009 07:12 PM

Yes, and then I asked you why. Justify your incorrect opinion, please.

:-*

Rogue Nine 03-10-2009 07:39 PM

Met, you're so saucy ;o

jrrtoken 03-10-2009 07:44 PM

Listened to it today; very, very well done. Big improvement over the original. Can't wait for the next episode. :thmbup1:

I've noticed that several other games have zombies, or at least a zombie-esque plot device. KotOR I had rakghouls, Fallout had ghouls and those deformed centaurs, and hell, Half-Life 2 had a whole chapter chock-full of zombies.

As for Wallace & Gromit, I hope they have the shady penguin from The Wrong Trousers:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Sy4cijDUAg...0/feathers.gif

CommanderQ 03-10-2009 07:46 PM

Heheh, this one was even better then the last!:D My favorite line..

Lexx to Darth Groovy: Why do you even game?

Darth Groovy: Well, it is fun..

Lexx: I mean, every game you mention, you say you suck at it...



Hee hee, that's the way me and much of my fellow gamers play:D

Also, I thought the Zombie Level was pretty awesome on COD5, but you guys did bring up some good points:D

Also, to Jae, indeed, scary games are not always enjoyable, especially at night...oyyyyyyy....:D

Darth Groovy 03-11-2009 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metallus (Post 2600067)
Yes, and then I asked you why. Justify your incorrect opinion, please.

:-*

Well it looked good, but it felt kind of generic. Even the single player was kinda meh...

Working as a team sounds good on paper, but actually employing the tactics to work as a team don't really work out in this day and age. In multiplayer, I spent too much time running to catch up with said "team" and I always got greased because said team didn't let me know what the hell was going on. Then I come back as a freaking zombie, where I have too skills, I can scratch with one arm while lunging, or I can puke some green nastiness up on somebody. Yeah, REAL tactical. :rolleyes: Lame. I hated it so much. I think it might have done better if they marketed this as a Half-Life 2 mod, or DLC, but as a full blown $60 game, hardly.

Metallus 03-11-2009 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Groovy (Post 2600290)
Well it looked good, but it felt kind of generic. Even the single player was kinda meh...

Working as a team sounds good on paper, but actually employing the tactics to work as a team don't really work out in this day and age. In multiplayer, I spent too much time running to catch up with said "team" and I always got greased because said team didn't let me know what the hell was going on. Then I come back as a freaking zombie, where I have too skills, I can scratch with one arm while lunging, or I can puke some green nastiness up on somebody. Yeah, REAL tactical. :rolleyes: Lame. I hated it so much. I think it might have done better if they marketed this as a Half-Life 2 mod, or DLC, but as a full blown $60 game, hardly.

While playing with randoms is sometimes a bit taxing, I wouldn't be so dismissive of it as a whole. Playing as infected is a bit more challenging and different than playing a standard shooter. That's why I liked it! If you have other friends with the game, being able to communicate (especially about when to drop in on the survivors) is really key to maximizing the fun. It's definitely frustrating to start out, I think, but there's a moment when you get your first survivor pinned and it dawns on both of you that no help is coming, it's really great and super-satisfying. :D

Astrotoy7 03-11-2009 10:52 PM

Ep 2 was even better!! Much more of a comedy element where we get a glimpse into the familiarity and friendship these longtime members have. You dont always get that in podcasts, so its a special thing IMO.

Of course, Lynky 'hitting that' and the Bale v Jackman Toushie debate was starting to stray towards dangerous non PG-13 mental images.... I thought it was hilarious of myself... :p

Grooves as always did a masterful job of keeping everyone on track. Niner and Moels made me breath a sigh of relief knowing that Im not the only one wanting LA to make another 'proper' Larry Holland style flight sim.

Lexxy was the star IMO, sticking it to the devs and their dlc shenanigans but I wish there was more Jae.. I think she might have been questing in the background ;)

I think I heard someone snacking on something ...must be hungry work ;)

anyway, awesome stuff! Cant wait til Ep3, and whenever you get Rhett on...

mtfbwya

mimartin 03-11-2009 11:07 PM

Great job, leXX almost ruined it for me by denigrating “Bring Down the Sky,” I will forgive, but never forget. :xp:

Nice job, very entertaining.

leXX 03-12-2009 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metallus (Post 2600298)
It's definitely frustrating to start out, I think, but there's a moment when you get your first survivor pinned and it dawns on both of you that no help is coming, it's really great and super-satisfying. :D

So true. :D

There have been a couple of times playing as infected when I found a great group, and we've worked together so well that we completely kicked the survivors asses. When all the odds are against you, and you still manage to do that, it is such a great feeling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 (Post 2600688)
Lexxy was the star IMO, sticking it to the devs and their dlc shenanigans

I think we all pretty much stuck it to them, but thanks. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimartin (Post 2600700)
Great job, leXX almost ruined it for me by denigrating “Bring Down the Sky,” I will forgive, but never forget. :xp:

Hehe. I know what you mean, it actually pained me to find fault with Mass Effects DLC because it is my absolute favourite game, and talking about it in a bad way felt so wrong. Please forgive me. ^^

LordOfTheFish 03-13-2009 09:35 PM

Well done, I cant wait till episode 3. I lol'd at the cheese thread mention. :lol:

Kjølen 03-14-2009 03:59 AM

It was excellent for the fact that I got mentioned, even if you didn't attempt to pronounce my name for maximum amusement. :xp:

Also, Lara Croft fap fap fap.

leXX 03-14-2009 03:30 PM

How DO you pronounce your name anyway? I just have no idea. ?_?

Marius Fett 03-14-2009 03:55 PM

I think it would be something like 'K-year-lin?'

IIRC, ø is pronounced like the 'ir' in bird.. And i'm assuming the J is pronounced like a Y...

Meh, ignore me.. Kjølen will no doubt tell you.. :p

Hermie 03-14-2009 04:13 PM

Chaulen! =D

GeneralPloKoon 03-15-2009 01:06 AM

Awesome stuff again! I love PIXAR too, The Incredibles is one of my favorite movies of all time!

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan 03-23-2009 09:12 AM

You get an "excellent" for such a stellar 'cast:

Quote:

"Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan..."

Darth Avlectus 04-16-2009 05:29 AM

Heeeeeeey! You talked about Zombies! I demand to know why a Zombies Ate My Neighbors and its sequel Ghoul Patrol doesn't have a forum area in the classic gaming zone... or even its own area...I like horror.

Madcat controller? I'd love to find something like that. I love fight games too.

Agreed, LeXX: Enough with the kid crap, Lucas.

That was my gripe with Capcom: I grew up with the megaman franchise. IT NEVER EVOLVED WITH ITS BASE CORE AUDIENCE. That really turned me off about it. It kept reverting to cute little kid stuff. Half arsed attempts at improvement. I love retro, I even don't mind the rehashed stuff of retro. But for the love of god...I mean really. Content? Something with higher-than-kiddy-dialogue?

Sorry. Just had to rant. But anyway, yeah, I would say to Lucas...don't sell out to little kids, PLEASE! Remember where you came from, and the folks who MADE YOU WHO YOU ARE TODAY! Rich, famous, semi-immortal.

Towards the end of the cast: I *hate* how they make games with nickel and dime unlockling. It really is a scam. Especially when it comes to functionality of the game--it's like...I have to pay EXTRA to complete the game? I'd be hella pissed.
It's already catch 22 given the fact it's got DL content to pay for.

The whole reason behind eventually making stuff available free: Margin of diminishing returns w.r.t. profits and charging.

@ GTA Lost and the damned: so it *was* worthy? OH I'm gonna hemmorage. Even for just a download. I don't have XBOX live, I hardly use my 360. I'd SO welcome this. With GTA4 now on PC, though, is going to be modded by fans soon enough. Check out filefront. They talk about that here and there.
(well of course I keep up on GTA games, look at my name)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.