LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Senate Chambers (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=445)
-   -   $2,000 cars in India may hit US (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=196613)

kipperthefrog 03-23-2009 05:02 PM

$2,000 cars in India may hit US
 
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29824634/?GT1=43001

I just want to spread the good news.

Tata’s Nano is made for the poor in India. It get around 55 miles to the gallon, burns cleaner with less greenhouse gasses, and only $2,000. hopefully, progress is being made.

GarfieldJL 03-23-2009 05:05 PM

It also has no air conditioning and can't reach some of the speed limits on some of the Highways with the petal to the metal. It's a good concept, it also doesn't meet safety standards.

kipperthefrog 03-23-2009 05:08 PM

true.

it may need a few adjustments. Perhaps they can make them without signifigant problems. heres hoping! :)

EnderWiggin 03-23-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarfieldJL (Post 2605012)
It also has no air conditioning and can't reach some of the speed limits on some of the Highways with the petal to the metal. It's a good concept, it also doesn't meet safety standards.

You would take issue with something so obviously good for the country. Goddamn.

_EW_

Also, if the cars come here, they'd obviously be altered to meet safety standards :dozey:

Q 03-23-2009 06:15 PM

"A few adjustments?" Ho-ho-ho. But then they won't get 55 MPG, and will pollute as much as any car.

$2000. Without a doubt it's produced by near-slave labor. No thanks.

kipperthefrog 03-23-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qliveur (Post 2605044)
"A few adjustments?" Ho-ho-ho. But then they won't get 55 MPG, and will pollute as much as any car.

$2000. Without a doubt it's produced by near-slave labor. No thanks.

Good point.

Q 03-23-2009 06:40 PM

Hey, I'd rather pay more for something produced by people that I know are being adequately compensated for their labor, which is why I buy Japanese. I wouldn't buy American because:

a) lower quality, though it's getting better, and

b) I refuse to willingly participate in all of the rampant turd-polishing of late by our wonderfully complicit congress. All of the tax money being extorted from me that's being used for that purpose is more than enough.

kipperthefrog 03-23-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qliveur (Post 2605061)
Hey, I'd rather pay more for something produced by people that I know are being adequately compensated for their labor, which is why I buy Japanese.

yeah that does sound fair to our fellow workers. I know a guy that won't buy from Wal-Mart becuase they underpay their workers.

Where do you go about finding out which countries use "near slave labor" and which countires "pay adequately"?

mur'phon 03-24-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Where do you go about finding out which countries use "near slave labor" and which countires "pay adequately"?
Well, first, you'd have to decide what qualify as "near slave labor".

Tommycat 03-25-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kipperthefrog (Post 2605010)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29824634/?GT1=43001

I just want to spread the good news.

Tata’s Nano is made for the poor in India. It get around 55 miles to the gallon, burns cleaner with less greenhouse gasses, and only $2,000. hopefully, progress is being made.

Soooooo we are getting another Yugo?

I agree with the idea. Strip out all of the unneeded BS automakers have stuffed in our cars. Heated seats, heated mirrors, navigation systems, and a whole host of things that just don't get used.

Honestly the US automakers should have already started doing this. Instead they keep loading more and more crap into the cars. But what passes for acceptable in India might not do so well in the US when you have an SUV in front and an SUV behind. Or when a semi blows past you and knocks you into another lane with the air.

What about if you get in an accident.
I live in Phoenix, AC is not optional here. You get into a car on one of our 120+ days, and within minutes you are risking heat stroke.

Once you start dealing with the safety regulations, you are looking at some dramatic changes to the car. Heck the Nash 600 was a 5600 lb vehicle that could get 30MPG back in 1948. It certainly wouldn't meet current US safety and emissions regulations and still keep that 30MPG.

Darth Avlectus 03-26-2009 07:34 PM

I just gotta wonder... WHY IS TESLA MOTORS NOT MENTIONED?!?

:conspiracy:
:lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qliveur (Post 2605044)
"A few adjustments?" Ho-ho-ho. But then they won't get 55 MPG, and will pollute as much as any car.

$2000. Without a doubt it's produced by near-slave labor. No thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kipperthefrog (Post 2605051)
Good point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qliveur (Post 2605061)
Hey, I'd rather pay more for something produced by people that I know are being adequately compensated for their labor, which is why I buy Japanese. I wouldn't buy American because:

a) lower quality, though it's getting better, and

b) I refuse to willingly participate in all of the rampant turd-polishing of late by our wonderfully complicit congress. All of the tax money being extorted from me that's being used for that purpose is more than enough.

I think I like you. You love shredding things (arguments included) and you like natural beauty in your women. Are you also an engineer?
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipperthefrog (Post 2605067)
yeah that does sound fair to our fellow workers. I know a guy that won't buy from Wal-Mart becuase they underpay their workers.

Where do you go about finding out which countries use "near slave labor" and which countires "pay adequately"?

I won't buy from wal-mart not only because they are cheapskates but they bully suppliers around for prices. Making it hard to be a third party distributor in 2 ways:

Firstly you deal with them and you are forced to take as little money as possible or you're ousted

Secondly you would have to compete with them if your distribution were in retail--or else your retailers would have do compete. That is the proverbial "between a rock and a hard place" in business.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mur'phon (Post 2605342)
Well, first, you'd have to decide what qualify as "near slave labor".

I think a fairly large number of people across the world could come to a general consensus--why not start with us on LF, right here and now?


Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommycat (Post 2606094)
Soooooo we are getting another Yugo?

I agree with the idea. Strip out all of the unneeded BS automakers have stuffed in our cars. Heated seats, heated mirrors, navigation systems, and a whole host of things that just don't get used.

Honestly the US automakers should have already started doing this. Instead they keep loading more and more crap into the cars. But what passes for acceptable in India might not do so well in the US when you have an SUV in front and an SUV behind. Or when a semi blows past you and knocks you into another lane with the air.

What about if you get in an accident.
I live in Phoenix, AC is not optional here. You get into a car on one of our 120+ days, and within minutes you are risking heat stroke.

Once you start dealing with the safety regulations, you are looking at some dramatic changes to the car. Heck the Nash 600 was a 5600 lb vehicle that could get 30MPG back in 1948. It certainly wouldn't meet current US safety and emissions regulations and still keep that 30MPG.

OR heated stuff in colder climates hardly being optional. Jus 'cos you live where it's hot, don't count out the cold people Tommy...I speak from experience once having lived there. So it depends on where you live.

@ general thread

As far as crap...all the DVD, blu ray, Video monitor stuffs. Having portable gaming is one thing, having portable setups in your car for stationary gaming is another. There is all kids of other stuff like wifi for your car which leaves me scratching my head. Cellphones already do waaaay too many things for just being a phone.

Tesla motors seems to be doing nicely.

Is there no way to make totally enclosed solar refrigeration? I seem to remember something about that in the "Solar Projects for the evil genius book". I know general refrigeration techniques are used in AC and also in cooling electronic devices like...say potentially the computer you're on right now.

I'd welcome a more feasible method of vehicular travel, but there still needs to be the older stuff around for the time being to do heavier work.

Tommycat 03-26-2009 10:51 PM

Haha GTA:
I lived in CT, NY, and CO. The heated seats and heated mirrors are not as necessary as AC in 120+ temps. Don't get me wrong, when I lived in CO and it got real cold out, that "bun warmer" was nice, but I didn't risk major health issues if I didn't have it. A heater is necessary in those climates, but since every engine generates heat, a heater is a matter or two hoses a core, and a fan. Actually even in hot climates a heater is a good thing to have(in the event of overheating). Block heaters may be necessary in some areas as well.

I'd be interested in the lifespan of these "$2000" vehicles. I mean modern cars can go 100000 miles before you even have to change the spark plugs. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of muscle cars, which have a poor track record of longevity, but your average Toyota driver would rather not have to bring their car into a shop every 10000 miles for a tune up. I guess what I'm saying is what is the TCO over 5 years versus continuing to run the vehicle you have.

Honestly, I prefer to just buy a used vehicle. You can get a reasonable vehicle for $2000I picked up my 95 Tahoe for $1800, add in $1000 for various repairs, and I'm at $2800... I could have picked up the same year Accord or Civic for less, but needed the cargo space. You just have to look, and know what is an acceptable defect in a vehicle.

SPEAKING of... I think GM really missed a big opportunity. They should have offered a stripped down version of the Camaro for 2010(currently released). They should offer the ability to pick every option that goes into your car. Rather than force those of us that want the V8 to suck it up and take a boatload of options we DO NOT WANT. Give me a stripped down car with none of the additional bs thrown in. Heck manual windows aren't even an option. HOW CAN YOU HAVE A MUSCLE CAR WITHOUT MANUAL WINDOWS? Ah well... guess I'll have to build my own muscle car instead...
Body: 1000(though I can get a good one for 300 to 600 depending on where I go)
Engine: 4000
Transmission: 1800
Suspension: 2000
brakes: 2000(I'll spend a lot to make sure I can stop haha)
Heck by the time I get to the 30k mark, I will have a pretty awesome ride. I could save a lot of cash by getting a vehicle that is mostly put together, and upgrading as I go.

mur'phon 03-27-2009 06:34 AM

Quote:

I think a fairly large number of people across the world could come to a general consensus?
Nope, ask an American, Mexican and a Chineese, and you are likely to get three different answers.


Quote:

--why not start with us on LF, right here and now?
Here it might work a bit better, but that's primarly because we represent (mainly) a small part of the world. And while I might agree to what is near slave labor, I'd probably disagree with you on wether or not it's better than the alternative.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.