LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Ahto Spaceport Cantina (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=325)
-   -   Why so many Humans?! (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=198268)

Trench 06-10-2009 01:12 AM

Why so many Humans?!
 
I've played many Star Wars games and read plenty of Star Wars books and I have to ask: Why are there so many Humans?

Its a galaxy full of many different species and most if not all "star" characters or "main characters" are human. It seems a little racist on the part of LucasArts doesn't it?
And why are most of the species based on the appearance of Humans? They could have at least done something other than calling them "Humanoid" and "Near-Human".
Maybe they could have had different classes (other than the ones I just mentioned) for the body types of the many species.
I think it would have been more realistic if they had filled the galaxy with less Humans and "Near-Humans", and more of the alternative.
And don't even mention the canonical argument that Humans were the fastest to colonize, and humans were the most common species in the galaxy, and Humans were found on more planets. That's just a cheap excuse LucasArts came up with to avoid the subject.
Nothing against LucasArts, but they should have done better.

Edit-- Please ignore the flaming remarks of the Emperor Devon and Sabretooth. Provoking them will only make it worse...

Sabretooth 06-10-2009 01:19 AM

I'd say it's more of a Star Wars canon thing in general rather than LucasArts, I've seen the human bias in comics, books, even the movies. I'd imagine it's just to freak people out less, the species in Star Wars can be pretty weird to look at (except the Zeltrons, god bless the Zeltrons).

Jae Onasi 06-10-2009 01:30 AM

It's a lot more expensive to make creature/alien costumes and make them realistic, or at least it was before CGI. It took 3 guys to run Jabba the Hutt, for instance. We also tend to relate better to humans.

Either that, or humans in the SW universe are fertile little bunnies.

Trench 06-10-2009 01:34 AM

Quote:

except the Zeltrons, god bless the Zeltrons
:rofl:
Quote:

Either that, or humans in the SW universe are fertile little bunnies
Okay... Odd.

I don't mind it so much in the movies (at least the ones before CGI), but they could have done a lot better in the EU. You Humans are annoying enough in real life... I mean... Uh... *Mind Trick* Move along!

Totenkopf 06-10-2009 01:36 AM

As Jae notes, probably has something to do with us being people and not some other race. Making it easier to identify...at least in theory...with the protagonists. And even in the case of the sith, the antagonists. Had to check out what a zeltron even was. Good call, Sabre. :thmbup1:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jae
Either that, or humans in the SW universe are fertile little bunnies.

They are in this universe, too. :xp:

Rtas Vadum 06-10-2009 02:02 AM

Talking about the expense factor, seems a bit odd if just concerning the EU, since a majority of that is simply comic books and novels. The games mainly do the same thing as the movies do, have humans at the forefront of the story. But for games, you don't need to spend money on either make-up or prosthetics for an actor, only to model the creature and give it a voice(which for some types of creatures may be rather taxing and complicated, but still do-able).

But as to the relation aspect, it is of coruse easier to relate to a character that is human, than it would be to relate to a Twi'lek, for instance. But then, depending on the story of the character, it is possible to relate to them. Part of a story has say a Twi'lek, Zeltron, or Chiss on a prejudiced human world? Easy to relate to if you understand how prejudice works, or have experienced it(which is unfortunate).

Im just wishing that if they don't use the alien characters in the movies, then they should at least include some as the main characters of games. Sure ones like KOTOR have the aliens in the game, but not as main characters without mods. JK:JA is one of the few games where it is possible for the player to have an alien character appearance or avatar by default. And in a way, that would be all im asking for. Well, that and to make some of these characters have canon appearances that aren't limited to male humans.

Trench 06-10-2009 02:48 AM

In some cases it might not be too difficult to voice some aliens. (I'm not bragging when I say this) I can mimic numerous voices and sound effects without the assistance of a computer program. There are many people who have skills similar to mine and who's skills far exceed mine. Just have a casting call for people like "us":xp: and boom, you've got a nicely voiced alien.

Totenkopf 06-10-2009 03:07 AM

Well, if you guys are as good as you say, maybe you should mod some alien voice files to add some variety to the alien voices used in game. Kinda got a bit tiresome to hear the same sounds in different pitches to cover different dialogue just b/c it was economical for the developer's bottom line.

Trench 06-10-2009 03:13 AM

I think I'll do that. I have one problem, I don't know anything about editing the sound files for either game. If I were to record the sound file, could someone convert it to a format usable by the game, then place it in the game?

I can start recording tomorrow.

Prime 06-10-2009 08:38 AM

Because a romance scene between two Hutts just ain't that good.

Sabretooth 06-10-2009 09:26 AM

I think I'll add to the alien voice angle as well. I know tons of people who don't watch foreign movies if they aren't dub, because they have a problem with reading subtitles and watching the movie at the same time.

I'm guessing it would be especially annoying for them if the subtitles are to an alien language that doesn't even actually exist. This is why we can't have nice things and have to settle for American-accented Basic-speaking Rodians and Kel-Dors in Jedi Knight: Academy.

TSR 06-10-2009 10:16 AM

Needs more Rodians.

RedHawke 06-10-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prime (Post 2633438)
Because a romance scene between two Hutts just ain't that good.

Must... get... image... out... of... head! :headbump

Aash Li 06-10-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prime (Post 2633438)
Because a romance scene between two Hutts just ain't that good.

You just had to go there didnt you... ::

Arcesious 06-10-2009 01:02 PM

Well I don't really think I could properly explain why humans would be so populous in the starwars galaxy, nor why the humanoid body structure is so common in other starwars races; but the star trek galaxy had a plausible explanation for it in this episode...

Perhaps something similar happened in starwars?

Jae Onasi 06-10-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prime (Post 2633438)
Because a romance scene between two Hutts just ain't that good.

:rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHawke (Post 2633483)
Must... get... image... out... of... head! :headbump

After you're done beating it out of your head, can you help me get it out of my head, too?

Shem 06-10-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prime (Post 2633438)
Because a romance scene between two Hutts just ain't that good.

What's wrong with that? :xp:

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6923/huttlove.jpg

Jeff 06-10-2009 03:01 PM

Oh God...

Trench 06-10-2009 03:15 PM

:eek: :eekanime: :migraine: :eyepop: :cry6:

How could you submit us to such horror Shem? I can't get the image of them "getting it on" out my my head!

But seriously, I'll start recording the audio files later and if anybody wants them, PM me your e-mail and a brief description of what your plans are.

Totenkopf 06-10-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shem (Post 2633547)


Might have been better to say something like "let's roll, baby!" :xp:

Trench 06-10-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Totenkopf (Post 2633554)
Might have been better to say something like "let's roll, baby!" :xp:

:barf2: I'm going to have so many nightmares tonight!

Totenkopf 06-10-2009 03:33 PM

Just be glad he didn't use emp dev's hutt creation (can't remember name exactly, but something like queen jewel/joule or somesuch). That'd just keep you awake. :lol:

Trench 06-10-2009 03:34 PM

:ugh: I saw that mod. Now I feel sick in the head...

jrrtoken 06-10-2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wookiepedia, on the Hutts
Hutts were hermaphroditic, and as a result, gender was more of a case of a Hutt's deliberate decision or a viewer's deduction. Often, Hutts carrying children were referred to as female, though it was entirely up to the Hutt in question as to if the distinction was accepted or not.

And this:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/st.../QueenJool.jpg

Have a nice day. :)

Trench 06-10-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastramiX (Post 2633589)

How can I after seeing that?! :barf:

TSR 06-10-2009 05:02 PM

So how exactly do they do it?

Can I have the Hutt version of the birds and the bees please Jae?

Trench 06-10-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSR (Post 2633611)
So how exactly do they do it?

Can I have the Hutt version of the birds and the bees please Jae?

Go to Wikipedia and look up the mating habits of slugs and snails. That might give you an idea of how hermaphrodites conceive their young.
Check out these links:
Snail Reproduction
Slug Reproduction

Fredi 06-10-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Te Mirdala Mand'alor (Post 2633620)
Go to Wikipedia and look up the mating habits of slugs and snails. That might give you an idea of how hermaphrodites conceive their young.
Check out these links:
Snail Reproduction
Slug Reproduction

Thanks for the info:thmbup1::p

Hmm It would provably be because is less expensive to have more humans than other types of aliens. But I would like to believe another thing :p

ironheart 06-10-2009 09:09 PM

I think most aliens are humanoid because way back in the day when the first movie was made it was helluva lot easier to make. And then they just ran with it. XD

And the racist thing is kind of a part of the, I dunno, "message" aint it? KOTOR for one was all over how cruel and judgmental humans are. It's like they came in, took over, and decided all the other species were only useful as slaves.

Hawkstrong16 06-10-2009 10:51 PM

After reading through this thread I only have one thing to say....

OH MY FREAKING GOD!!

I'm never going to sleep again am I?

Darth Avlectus 06-10-2009 11:51 PM

:rofl:
OK, before this becomes a spam'n'beer fest.....

Actually, people on all sides of politics have basically said what you said, Te Mirdala. Some even more knit-picky about the humans themselves--in fact I have an un authored mod where I remember on PCGM's description, mod creator having a few words about this.

I'll say this much: SW uses hero-man type of stories so stereotypes are hard to avoid. Not that it entirely justifies them. While I have noticed a mostly human or predominantly humanoid-proxy character population in SW, it doesn't normally faze most people.

I.E. in the SW tales: Flecat (while similar to cathar in many respects, their humanoid form is much more attractive looking, they can turn psychotic and morph into humongous ferocious cat creatures)

Why are most human esque? I would guess probably a relation device. But TBH I do wonder why we don't see more Defels (wolf-oids), "ratties", bear buffalo beasts, etc.

Actually check the wiki for creatures, quite interesting.

Sabretooth 06-11-2009 01:56 AM

Jeez you people, being disgusted by Hutts is not even funny, stop overreacting already.

RedHawke 06-11-2009 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jae Onasi (Post 2633518)
After you're done beating it out of your head, can you help me get it out of my head, too?

Sure thing Jae but I'm seeing double so I'll need two rolling pins! One for each of you! :xp:

@ That image proves Shem is EVIL! *Holds pinky to mouth... que Dr Evil music.*

Trench 06-11-2009 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretooth (Post 2633772)
Jeez you people, being disgusted by Hutts is not even funny, stop overreacting already.

C'mon! Have a sense of humor!
Its kind of funny, I meant for this to be a serious discussion thread, but I like what its turned into way more than that! :lol:! Maybe someone could rename this thread "Hutt Love" or something like that :rofl:.

Sabretooth 06-11-2009 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Te Mirdala Mand'alor (Post 2633775)
C'mon! Have a sense of humor!

Look, I just don't get it. Hutts are big fat slug-like aliens, I can live with that. I don't find them disgusting, repulsive, annoying or anything. I can imagine them having very kinky sex in orgies and not be mortified for life. I do happen to have a sense of humour, but it doesn't involve pretending to be irreparably brain-damaged by something as unremarkable as a Hutt.

Trench 06-11-2009 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretooth (Post 2633778)
Look, I just don't get it. Hutts are big fat slug-like aliens, I can live with that. I don't find them disgusting, repulsive, annoying or anything. I can imagine them having very kinky *** in ****** and not be mortified for life. I do happen to have a sense of humour, but it doesn't involve pretending to be irreparably brain-damaged by something as unremarkable as a Hutt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atton Rand
Would you lighten up please?

Seriously, this thread is a joke. Its here for a laugh.

Emperor Devon 06-11-2009 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretooth
I do happen to have a sense of humour, but it doesn't involve pretending to be irreparably brain-damaged by something as unremarkable as a Hutt.

in his defense, he is 14

Trench 06-11-2009 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emperor Devon (Post 2633788)
in his defense, he is 14

Are you insinuating that because I am fourteen I am immature? In fact, many adults feel that when they speak to me, they are speaking to an equal. I merely enjoy a good laugh (and let me tell you: It doesn't take much).

Sabretooth 06-11-2009 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Te Mirdala Mand'alor (Post 2633792)
Are you insinuating that because I am fourteen I am immature? In fact, many adults feel that when they speak to me, they are speaking to an equal. I merely enjoy a good laugh (and let me tell you: It doesn't take much).

Laughing at different species isn't a good laugh, it's racism. And I thought you were far too mature for racist jokes. ::

Jae Onasi 06-11-2009 02:54 AM

Oh gawd, I had to come back to this thread....
*Jae barfs*


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.