LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   The Outlander Club (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=623)
-   -   Steampunk Disney (Epic Mickey) (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=199529)

jrrtoken 07-30-2009 09:57 AM

Steampunk Disney (Epic Mickey)

(or how Warren Spector made Mickey Mouse awesome again)

Source

Warren Spector, who we all know was the lead creative force behind System Shock and Deus Ex (Both are must plays for FPS and RPG fans alike, to boot), seems to working on a new title at his Junction Point Studios. Spector sold JPS to Disney back in '07, but new info seems to reveal that the company hasn't been assimilated into the Disney technological gamut unlike other studios.

"Epic Mickey" is the code name for the game in development at JPS. While the name sounds rather vague, the completely beautiful and equally impressive concept art seems to paint a much more mature theme of a Mickey Mouse-inspired steampunk world. While the concept sounds unfathomable, it seems to be a bizarre amalgamation of System Shock's cyborg variations with Disney characters:First of all, I'm completely surprised that Disney would even allow this sort of stuff. Don't get me wrong; I love the concept, but it seems so unlike Disney to allow such a bizarre take on a franchise like this. This better not end up being canceled, goddammit.

Astor 07-30-2009 10:06 AM

:drop2:

That's... awesome.

I really hope something comes of this, and, of course, that it comes out on systems other than the Wii.

Miltiades 07-30-2009 02:33 PM

Oh Goofy, what did they do to you?

But hell yeah, that looks awesome.

Quanon 07-30-2009 02:35 PM

Oooh, looks special & weird, certainly with the Disney characters mangled like that x-D
Lets hope something good comes out of this.

Besides System shock en Deus Ex I can't remember a game that went OK for Mr. Warren.
Only news that he left game company after game company...

Ctrl Alt Del 07-30-2009 06:52 PM

I thought Nomura was the one that made MM awesome with Kingdom Hearts....

At any rate, I've come to think any royal Disney mess/mix with cool concepts can turn out to be excellent. Damn, will I keep an eye out for this.

Trench 07-30-2009 07:02 PM

I think that's a bit too much. The mouse looks pretty cool, but the others look ridiculous.

Jeff 07-30-2009 08:13 PM

Looks pretty cool. I am just listening to Idle Thumbs and they mentioned that it might be for Wii only (not confirmed). Not sure if that is a positive or negative.

Da_man 07-30-2009 09:16 PM

That is scary, awesome, and bizzare all at the same time. I can't believe Disney would allow this.

Master Shake 07-30-2009 09:50 PM

This guy must have a huge imagination.

cire992 07-30-2009 09:56 PM

Rofl, oh my goodness! That is certainly... different. I'd love to see more.

Aash Li 07-30-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastramiX (Post 2657169)
This better not end up being canceled, goddammit.

QFT

And... wow. I want to play this game! lol

Q 07-31-2009 12:09 AM

This is just bizarre.

I like it. :)

Jeff 07-31-2009 01:19 AM

CVG has confirmed the game is Wii-only where you "you paint your way through levels using the Wii Remote." Definitely one I will keep my eye on.

Mav 07-31-2009 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 2657566)
CVG has confirmed the game is Wii-only where you "you paint your way through levels using the Wii Remote." Definitely one I will keep my eye on.

Taking a page out of Okami? I saw this stuff on Kotaku a while ago, definitely interesting.

Sabretooth 07-31-2009 11:57 AM

I knew that Warren Spector was working with Disney (being a Spector fanboy and all), but I thought it was some silly game project. That is seriously amazing.

Mickey Mouse looks incredible.

Master Shake 07-31-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretooth (Post 2657699)
Mickey Mouse looks incredible.

He's been working out.

Pavlos 07-31-2009 11:07 PM

This is... weird.

TriggerGod 07-31-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavlos (Post 2657962)
This is... weird.

My thoughts exactly. If you want children to cry at the sight of a mechanical-patchwork Goofy or a Giant spider version of Micky, (how else to describe it? Mechanical Micky Mouse Spider thing with a face on his shoulder?) this wouldn't be a game you want to play with young children who grew up watching Disney DVDs or children whose favorite character is Minny Mouse (dear lord what will they have done to her? :p)

Samnmax221 07-31-2009 11:58 PM

Looks interesting. I'd just like to point out that Disney isn't really a bunch of old fogeys like everyone makes them out to be. Eisner is out, tradigital is back, things are good.

jrrtoken 10-05-2009 04:59 PM

Lo, Epic Mickey is a confirmed working title; it also seems to be the game's permanent title. GameInformer graciously features it on the cover its upcoming November issue. To mark the Wii-exclusive title's announcement, it shall release a new interview with Warren Spector later this day. Huzzah for all. o_Q

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.c...eytall_580.jpg

Source
GameInformer Page, w/ interview

Darth Avlectus 10-05-2009 08:23 PM

^^^My dad being a longtime fan of disney that he is actually took notice of this. Loved that cover.

ARC Cody 10-10-2009 05:37 AM

How can you people actually like this monstrosity of a game?
I feel physically ill looking at those sketches. I mean, how
can you do this to such beloved Disney characters.
Walt must be spasming in his grave.

Ztalker 10-10-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARC Cody (Post 2680086)
How can you people actually like this monstrosity of a game?
I feel physically ill looking at those sketches. I mean, how
can you do this to such beloved Disney characters.
Walt must be spasming in his grave.

You sound like you have played it and that you have formed a good opinion about a game of which only screenshots and concept art has been released. :)

Walt Disney = artist.
Making games = form of art

GeneralPloKoon 10-10-2009 11:58 PM

I love Disney, I love Pixar. This is EPIC, maybe i'll play games again after all!

ARC Cody 10-11-2009 06:22 AM

I said that I was sickened by the very look of the game. Have you actually seen what Disney drew? It leant more towards the cute and fuzzy spectrum then it did towards the "make little kids wet themselves" one ;).

Ztalker 10-11-2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARC Cody (Post 2680264)
I said that I was sickened by the very look of the game. Have you actually seen what Disney drew? It leant more towards the cute and fuzzy spectrum then it did towards the "make little kids wet themselves" one ;).

Fantasia isn't known for it's cuteness :xp:

I just meant that visuals don't always tell everything. The game itself can still be Disney-like.

Sabretooth 10-11-2009 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ztalker (Post 2680271)
Fantasia isn't known for it's cuteness :xp:

This calls for a Fantasia short!

View page
YouTube Video

jrrtoken 10-16-2009 01:32 PM

Huzzah for a concept art montage, detailing more steampunk-esque environments, including what seems to be a 2D platforming sequence. Down yonder, there are profiles on Warren Spector and Junction Point Studios, respectively.

Quanon 10-16-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARC Cody (Post 2680264)

I think the clash between these two styles will give this game a unique vibe.
Its time Disney stept away from doing this "cute sweet" thing all the time.

Cartoons and the like are a great medium of doing more adult/ older audiences games and films. The western attitude is so boring: drawn cartoons is for kids and only cuteness and sweet sugared stories... bah...

ARC Cody 10-18-2009 04:51 AM

Well, I'm not against incorporating adult themes in cartoons, but I really
loathe this kind of surrealistic/expressionist atmosphere. Reminds me of the
Scream. But to each his own.

Quanon 10-18-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARC Cody (Post 2681785)
Well, I'm not against incorporating adult themes in cartoons, but I really
loathe this kind of surrealistic/expressionist atmosphere. Reminds me of the
Scream. But to each his own.

Fair enough :)

I can't say I'm wild on most J-RPGs, like Final Fantasy and such. For some reason it just doesn't appeal to me. So I see where you're coming from.

Ofcourse, good gameplay and a nice story to accompany it might change my views sometimes.

Salzella 10-18-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 2657590)
Taking a page out of Okami? I saw this stuff on Kotaku a while ago, definitely interesting.

There are few better games to take the lead from :). I love the idea of this, and I love that Disney would allow something so left-field, even though I won't be able to play it.

Arcesious 10-18-2009 02:27 PM

I'm not really into surreal/creepy sort of stuff, but this is pretty imaginative. It seems like something Tim Burton could have come up with.

Avisto 10-18-2009 02:41 PM

It has a stupid title, but hopefully it will turn out to be good. Then again, I don't own a Wii and have no desire to buy one, so I don't care that much.

Sabretooth 10-18-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcesious (Post 2681848)
I'm not really into surreal/creepy sort of stuff, but this is pretty imaginative. It seems like something Tim Burton could have come up with.

It would be truly Tim Burton if Johnny Depp were voice-acting Mickey.

Lynk Former 10-18-2009 04:05 PM

I like how people can only come up with comparisons which are relatively young for this when the inspiration for "Epic Mickey" is a lot older than the examples people have stated.

I'm also interested to know what people think of this as being a Wii exclusive. I know a lot of people on LF mostly invest on 360's.

jrrtoken 10-18-2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynk Former (Post 2681866)
I'm also interested to know what people think of this as being a Wii exclusive. I know a lot of people on LF mostly invest on 360's.

'Tis a scourge upon mankind; a vile abomination to only pander to children and developmentally-challenged adults, and to bring more power to "causal" games, while posing a singular threat towards the common good of our Halo and Gears of War, two intellectually-advanced games for the mature adult. Furthermore, any adult male who has the gall to play, let alone own such a device, is clearly a vile homosexual, if not entirely ambiguous in the sexual realm. I curse Nintendo for their volition of destroying the sacred video game media, with their demographically-expanding business practices, with showing not an iota of curtsy to their already rabid fanbase, soon to be converts to the most-exalted Microsoft. :carms:

Quanon 10-18-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynk Former (Post 2681866)
I like how people can only come up with comparisons which are relatively young for this when the inspiration for "Epic Mickey" is a lot older than the examples people have stated.

I know Tim Burton had a good look at the old expressionist(IIRC) German movies from 1930's.Some of those had fantasy and Sci fi themes and great design thingies :p

Lynk Former 10-19-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastramiX (Post 2681877)
'Tis a scourge upon mankind; a vile abomination to only pander to children and developmentally-challenged adults, and to bring more power to "causal" games, while posing a singular threat towards the common good of our Halo and Gears of War, two intellectually-advanced games for the mature adult. Furthermore, any adult male who has the gall to play, let alone own such a device, is clearly a vile homosexual, if not entirely ambiguous in the sexual realm. I curse Nintendo for their volition of destroying the sacred video game media, with their demographically-expanding business practices, with showing not an iota of curtsy to their already rabid fanbase, soon to be converts to the most-exalted Microsoft. :carms:

lolwut

@ Quanon: Then mention those :p

jrrtoken 10-21-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynk Former (Post 2682069)
lolwut

To explain: Every time the Wii is brought up in any conversation, there's always some insecure bloke that needs to mooooaannn about the travesty known as the Wii, to the point of nauseating ubiquity. Naturally, I wanted to dispel any further rants by creating one itself. :p

That, and there's a five-page summary of the art direction, including renders... here.