LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=716)
-   -   Climbing (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=199580)

shukkoku 08-01-2009 06:27 PM

Climbing
 
If you play BF2 on a regular basis, you would see multiple crooks and crannies that you want to reach with a sniper or heavy trooper. Yet jumping to no avail you can only reach it with jet trooper and his measly pistol.
I was thinking that being able to climb on objects in a similar fashion to assassin's creed, nothing of course that grand though.
Simply being able to jump and grab a ledge to pull you up, or climb a poll and sit on a streetlight. Just to make a battle more three dimensional.

what do you guys think?

jondavis 08-01-2009 09:10 PM

When you said climbing I was thinking of the vehicles walking up the cliff in clone wars.
That would also be cool.

Maybe climbing and swimming underwater would work with a display meter that goes down while your doing it.
That way some could climb or swim longer based on their kind.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puuR1BNwDsQ

jondavis 08-01-2009 10:00 PM

Also I was watching this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQp2QiCDJkw

Maybe they could include the Ascension Cables with the sniper class.

shukkoku 08-01-2009 10:31 PM

gosh that show is rubbish, I think it should be plain and simple, no chords just climbing, no stamina just climbing. Just that feature would be fine without other add-ons that turn some people off the game.

jondavis 08-01-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shukkoku (Post 2658363)
gosh that show is rubbish, I think it should be plain and simple, no chords just climbing, no stamina just climbing. Just that feature would be fine without other add-ons that turn some people off the game.

I love the show.
With the Ascension Cables at least you could make it up some real steep cliffs.
Climbing should have a limit, and if ever we got many factions I think some should be able to climb farther then others.

shukkoku 08-01-2009 11:29 PM

the show is a collaboration of cgi battles and cheap childish dialog
I agree there should be a limit, but not a time limit. The limit should be about where you can climb, not how long. I can imagine the outrage of looking for a place to step and falling because your stamina ran out. Period
ascension cables is a worthless add-on. If there were a cliff on a map that was supposed to be climbed, the map designers would find a way to scale it. That is one feature which would be used once in campaign and then discarded, or they would ruin everything by throwing cliffs at us left and right to make use of it, no cables

jondavis 08-03-2009 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shukkoku (Post 2658375)
the show is a collaboration of cgi battles and cheap childish dialog
I agree there should be a limit, but not a time limit. The limit should be about where you can climb, not how long. I can imagine the outrage of looking for a place to step and falling because your stamina ran out. Period
ascension cables is a worthless add-on. If there were a cliff on a map that was supposed to be climbed, the map designers would find a way to scale it. That is one feature which would be used once in campaign and then discarded, or they would ruin everything by throwing cliffs at us left and right to make use of it, no cables

No one is going to start throwing cliffs at us, there are to many different classes that would never be able to make it up there.

So are you saying people can climb cliffs like these?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puuR1BNwDsQ

I could understand ascension cables getting us up there but no way can people just climb up there.
And maybe we could use them like the grappling line that Luke used.
http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/10178-1.jpg

shukkoku 08-03-2009 01:06 AM

you're not getting what I'm saying, I'm saying there's no need for climbing cliff and pillars.
I'm saying to add versatility to the maps, make them more 3D than just a single playing field not having the developers putting random cliffs and towers in the maps. I'm don't want diversity amongst the classes, just a universal climbing ability.

besides that ascension cable would take up another vital button on our controllers :P

jondavis 08-03-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shukkoku (Post 2658777)
I'm don't want diversity amongst the classes, just a universal climbing ability.

I think this is where we disagree the most.
I like the diversity in the classes.
So ya I would make it so one of them could do some sort of climbing/cables, another one could do melee attacks, another one could maybe swim or go underwater for a bit, ect.

Allowing everyone to do everthing don't ever give anyone a upperhand in any given situation.
I like the fact that I can get you somewhere where I have the advantage and then pull the trigger.

shukkoku 08-03-2009 01:11 PM

giving different abilities to different classes like that would imbalance them greatly, balancing should be done through weapons and strengths, not the ability to climb or melee.

the upper hand is won through know which weapons have the greater strength in your situation or knowing you have more backup.

jondavis 08-03-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shukkoku (Post 2658939)
giving different abilities to different classes like that would imbalance them greatly, balancing should be done through weapons and strengths, not the ability to climb or melee.

the upper hand is won through know which weapons have the greater strength in your situation or knowing you have more backup.

It could be either or. Not all battles are won by who has the bigger or better gun. If you can swim or climb or use a knife or a sword this could help you greatly in combat in the right places. But if your out in the middle of a field or in a long hallway that gun would be my first choice.

And if I'm a Gungan and a Jedi is chasing me, I'm going for the bottom of the lake.

I know there will a imbalance if you have a guy that can use the surroundings better then the other guy.
But like any game you have to spend time on balancing things out.
I doubt star craft had it all right when it first came out.
That is why they need to continue to support the game after it comes out.

Bokken 08-04-2009 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jondavis (Post 2659164)
Not all battles are won by who has the bigger or better gun.

True. They're won by who has the mines.

jondavis 08-04-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bokkenblader56 (Post 2659193)
True. They're won by who has the mines.

Only if team damage is off. :)

LordOfTheFish 08-04-2009 11:36 AM

I don't know that climbing is necessary. It seems that if LA wanted gamers to reach those inaccessible area with a class other than Jet Troopers, they would have made a way to do it.

shukkoku 08-04-2009 01:24 PM

I know it isn't necessary to core game play, but it would be so fun!

you know that a game where guns and ordinance are everything you need to win, it IS the bigger and better guns, very little strategy is needed. Have you ever been in a situation where you turn a corner and end up killing off like 6 guys? not very strategy based if you ask me.

Darth Eclipse 08-04-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jondavis (Post 2658331)
When you said climbing I was thinking of the vehicles walking up the cliff in clone wars.
That would also be cool.

Maybe climbing and swimming underwater would work with a display meter that goes down while your doing it.
That way some could climb or swim longer based on their kind.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puuR1BNwDsQ

Climbing up cliffs would be epic.

Trench 08-04-2009 01:36 PM

It would be cool if there were certain maps with the epic cliff climbing, but I think Shukkokku's idea for just small amounts of climbing on all maps is a good one.

LordJhredmo 08-09-2009 12:32 PM

I totally agree with shukkoku's idea for climbing. Not big climbs... small ones. Think of Mygeeto BFII. The center tower. You know the ledges that build into the main platform that runs all around? The ledge that breaks up and lets you walk up the side... That ledge I'd like to be able to climb. Just 6 ft or so.

I love how this jondavis can actually conceive of a class ability to climb. So all other classes are barely past toddler years or something? Give me a break. Universal climb or none at all.

shukkoku 08-09-2009 07:28 PM

I mean, it could be cool if there was one or two campaign levels where you need to ascend a cliff to get to an objective, but i would leave it out of core game play.

Another thing about core game play is going prone, they definitely need to bring that back, or at least make crouch more affective, all they did in BF2 was bend their knees and hunch their shoulders (-.-)

Mandalore The Shadow 08-29-2009 09:17 AM

Yeah I agree that climbing wouls be a nice addition to the game I'm sick of flying up ledges and sniping

Darth Eclipse 08-30-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shukkoku (Post 2661143)
I mean, it could be cool if there was one or two campaign levels where you need to ascend a cliff to get to an objective, but i would leave it out of core game play.

Another thing about core game play is going prone, they definitely need to bring that back, or at least make crouch more affective, all they did in BF2 was bend their knees and hunch their shoulders (-.-)

Yeah, I definitely would not want climbing up cliffs to be on every map. Just one or two.

LukasM 08-30-2009 11:04 AM

I always used to jump around on the kamino level, it's the only reason i'd play it. But unless your a hero or you unlock the jet pack trooper it's no good. :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.