LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Yoda’s Swamp (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Christmas Wish List (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=200884)

leXX 10-05-2009 05:09 AM

Christmas Wish List
 
So, what does everyone want for Christmas this year? I know it's a bit early, but meh.

Number one on my list is this:

http://images.play.com/covers/5622607x.jpghttp://images.play.com/banners/5622607l.jpg

It's £79.99, so I really can't justify buying it for myself. I'll have to sweet talk hubby.

I've already pre-ordered Dragon Age and Uncharted 2, but the other games that I want are:

Metroid Trilogy
Professor Layton and Pandora's Box
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Assassin's Creed 2
Left 4 Dead 2

Mass Effect 2 isn't out until January, but I'll add that anyway.

Sooooo many good games coming out. Better win the lottery. :/

IG-64 10-05-2009 05:14 AM

Left 4 Dead 2, mainly. I'd also like some new speakers.

If I wanted to get really crazy, I'd ask for a PS3. There's starting to be more and more games for it that I want or am looking forward to. I'll probably wait it out till next year though, when The Last Guardian comes out.

Darth Avlectus 10-05-2009 07:33 AM

-To be able to catch a break next year, maybe a little something different form the work I been doing.
-That my digestive system's kink doesn't turn serious.
-Just to be able to hang out with my RL friends I ain't hung with in years.
-Computer issues resolved and upgraded.
-Item #CO2TUB15 from amazing1.com so I can finish that project
-That amBX system.
-Go back to school.

Havoc Stryphe 10-05-2009 07:51 AM

Really, I think it would just be easier if I said what I didn't want for Christmas, as it is a much shorter list:

Any disease or STD
Layed off from work
Brussel sprouts

Everything else is perfectly acceptable. :p

leXX 10-05-2009 08:14 AM

I love Brussel sprouts. :p

BongoBob 10-05-2009 09:31 AM

I would accept a job (even if it's only temporary) gladly.

txa1265 10-05-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leXX (Post 2678885)
Professor Layton and Pandora's Box

Is that the one called 'Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box' in the US? If so, that is great - my wife took over my DS Lite since I got the DSi and she is loving this.

For me ... since I just got my PSP Go, there isn't much. Just started playing Risen (Gothic 2 is in my top 5 all-time games) and loving it ... Dragon Age coming early November ... those along with other games will keep me full-up until the new year!

Havoc Stryphe 10-05-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leXX (Post 2678904)
I love Brussel sprouts. :p


Then I'll gladly re-gift any I get for christmas to you, leXX. Oh, and whoever gets them for me will definetly be off my Christmas Card list next year! ;)

leXX 10-05-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txa1265 (Post 2678922)
Is that the one called 'Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box' in the US? If so, that is great - my wife took over my DS Lite since I got the DSi and she is loving this.

Yes it is. No idea why they changed the name of it for Europe. I played the hell out of the first Professor Layton and absolutely loved it. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Havoc Stryphe (Post 2678924)
Then I'll gladly re-gift any I get for christmas to you, leXX. Oh, and whoever gets them for me will definetly be off my Christmas Card list next year! ;)

Yes please. XD

Det. Bart Lasiter 10-05-2009 12:41 PM

i want a vypyr tube amp

Pho3nix 10-05-2009 12:55 PM

I just want a job for christmas :X

TiE23 10-05-2009 02:05 PM

Good grades... And maybe Forza 3? Oh, and money.

Jeff 10-05-2009 02:09 PM

I want a guitar.

leXX 10-05-2009 02:11 PM

You guys don't want any games that are coming out? WTH?

Havoc Stryphe 10-05-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiE23 (Post 2678959)
Oh, and money.

Always a welcomed gift. Timeless as it is practical! :)

Jeff 10-05-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leXX (Post 2678962)
You guys don't want any games that are coming out? WTH?

I can't wait till Christmas for most of the ones I want, I'll have already bought them. :p I'm sure I'll still have a couple on my list.

Havoc Stryphe 10-05-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leXX (Post 2678962)
You guys don't want any games that are coming out? WTH?

leXX, I think I have that covered my "Everything but STD's and brussel sprouts" reply! Didn't I make that clear enough? ;)

BongoBob 10-05-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Havoc Stryphe (Post 2678965)
leXX, I think I have that covered my "Everything but STD's and brussel sprouts" reply! Didn't I make that clear enough? ;)

Sooooooooo...

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...x_nononono.jpg

...even that?

...I think I'd take the brussel sprouts and STDs...

Havoc Stryphe 10-05-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BongoBob (Post 2678966)
Sooooooooo...

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...x_nononono.jpg

...even that?

...I think I'd take the brussel sprouts and STDs...

Well, my wife would appreciate it. :)

*SIDE NOTE: Everyone please take note that Havoc is a dutiful and considerate husband, even to the point of extreme psychological trauma at the hands of Twilight based video games. He wants that on the record, so that in the event of Twilight induced death, someone may speak to this at his funeral.

MrWally 10-05-2009 02:59 PM

You're a good man, Havoc.

I hope I'm never as good a man as you.

Havoc Stryphe 10-05-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWally (Post 2678968)
You're a good man, Havoc.

I hope I'm never as good a man as you.


Some men are born good, others have goodness thrust upon them in the form a daily training regimen by their wives. 10 years in, and I am happy to report that I am finally "good" by my wife's standards. :p

BTW honey, if you read this, I mean that in the best possible way. ;)

Giant Graffiti 10-05-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BongoBob (Post 2678966)
Show spoiler

Wasn't the rating for that announced ages ago? Here's a more up-to-date picture:

Show spoiler

jrrtoken 10-05-2009 03:46 PM

Rest.

And Alpha Protocol, despite as unlikely as it may be.

DarthAve 10-05-2009 05:07 PM

- Metropolis on DVD
- Crispy M&M's
- Time with the family
- Noisettes' new CD.
- Video games and the like
- Wreck this Journal, and other random books.
- iTunes card.

Other various junk too. At least I'm not going to Disney so I'll have time to be all "Hi family! Where are my presents?"

Kain 10-05-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BongoBob (Post 2678966)
Sooooooooo...

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...x_nononono.jpg

...even that?

...I think I'd take the brussel sprouts and STDs...

I'd rather rip my dick off and throw it in a river than have that 'game' come anywhere NEAR my home.

I want Assassin's Creed 2 and The Ghost King...assuming I don't buy both long before Christmas...especially since The Ghost King comes out tommorow.

IG-64 10-05-2009 11:00 PM

It's amazing the amount of insecurity Twilight brings out. :p
Something marketed towards women? Kill it with fire!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 2678960)
I want a guitar.

This reminds me, I want a guitar too, but I think I'm getting one for my birthday next month.

Det. Bart Lasiter 10-05-2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IG-64 (Post 2679081)
It's amazing the amount of insecurity Twilight brings out. :p
Something marketed towards women? Kill it with fire!

twilight fan spotted

BongoBob 10-06-2009 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IG-64 (Post 2679081)
It's amazing the amount of insecurity Twilight brings out. :p
Something marketed towards women? Kill it with fire!

Watch the movie. Just do it. Not the awesomely hilarious Rifftrax version. Just the regular version. If you make it more than 15 minutes in without wanting to slam your nuts in a car door, I'll be f***in amazed.

Also, don't care who it's marketed too, it's still extremely s***ty and has many many issues.

IG-64 10-06-2009 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Det. Bart Lasiter (Post 2679082)
twilight fan spotted

Oh noes, you caught me. :rolleyes:
Never read or seen or played it.

Edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by BongoBob (Post 2679089)
Also, don't care who it's marketed too, it's still extremely s***ty and has many many issues.

That's not the point. For all I know, it is very s***ty. Point is, every time it's brought up every male in the room has to strut around and make sure everyone knows their opinion that it is the worst thing ever, when they probably know nothing about it. At least you've watched it and thus can form a valid opinion. It's the knee-jerk reaction that anything that appeals towards females is automatically s*** that is the issue. I have a sister who expresses her disdain over that mentality, and I agree with her.

Det. Bart Lasiter 10-06-2009 12:45 AM

oh ig you champion of feminism, never stop fighting the patriarchy by assuming all men (but your sophisticated self of course) are chunks of meat who act solely on what makes them feel insecure in their manhood or whatever

purifier 10-06-2009 01:42 AM

Twilight - uugh!

It's the goddamn retro 50's hairstyles, who the friggin hell has hair like that anymore. I mean serouisly. :raise:


*Ahem* Back on topic....

As far as games go, I've got TFU bigtime on my X-mas wish list.

MrWally 10-06-2009 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Det. Bart Lasiter (Post 2679095)
oh ig you champion of feminism, never stop fighting the patriarchy by assuming all men (but your sophisticated self of course) are chunks of meat who act solely on what makes them feel insecure in their manhood or whatever

Sound pretty accurate to me, actually. I see nothing wrong with this quote.


I honestly haven't even begun to think about what I want for Christmas...

I wouldn't mind this:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....kon-d3-big.jpg

But that's several thousand dollars outside of my parent's price range, haha.

Realistically, some new, faster lenses wouldn't be that bad. For the photography buffs here who know what I'm talking about, pretty much whenever I do portraiture I'm stuck with using a 50mm/1.4 fixed lens (or the 85mm/1.8)--In other words... Fast lens but you can't zoom, which is just a pain in the butt.

Modern Warfare 2 and Mass Effect 2 would be on this list if I wasn't determined to buy them both before Christmas.

OH!

I was at the Apple store the other day and had the opportunity to try out the Bose Quietcomfort15. I believe that was the model. The most spectacular headphones I've ever used. Listened to some Yo-Yo Ma with those things and it honestly felt like I was sitting right in front of him in an absolutely sound-proof recording studio. Fantastic.

Still a bit pricey, though....

IG-64 10-06-2009 06:15 AM

Okay, maybe I did make some assumptions. I know you're not all "chunks of meat." But I have a sister who's fed up with the huge amounts of entertainment geared towards guys with a total lack of the opposite. Yes, she does like Twilight, but she's not a fangirl. I respect her opinion and that's all I'm coming from.

Havoc Stryphe 10-06-2009 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IG-64 (Post 2679090)
That's not the point. For all I know, it is very s***ty. Point is, every time it's brought up every male in the room has to strut around and make sure everyone knows their opinion that it is the worst thing ever, when they probably know nothing about it. At least you've watched it and thus can form a valid opinion. It's the knee-jerk reaction that anything that appeals towards females is automatically s*** that is the issue. I have a sister who expresses her disdain over that mentality, and I agree with her.

Well, I have seen the movie with my wife, and even bought her the books so she could keep reading. I tried to read them myself, but I just couldn't do it. I am not aginst them because they are intended for the fairer sex, but because they are cheesy and god-awful. And I have some pretty low standards, for example I really like "The Vampire Diaries" show on the CW. Now that show is marketed squarely at teen girls, and is pretty cheesy in and of itself. So I do like certain things that are "girl marketed" and even cheesy and sophmoric. So trust me when I say, "Twilight sucks!" because I am saying it based strictly on the merits and quality of the product, and not out of some deep rooted male bravado seated firmly within my subconcious self making sure I am not emascilated among my peers. I only do that when it comes to "My Little Pony" and "Barbie", and I swear I play with them because of my daughter not because I like to!!! :p

leXX 10-06-2009 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthAve (Post 2679015)
- Noisettes' new CD.

Our similar music tastes continue to amaze me. <3 The Noisettes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IG-64 (Post 2679149)
Okay, maybe I did make some assumptions. I know you're not all "chunks of meat." But I have a sister who's fed up with the huge amounts of entertainment geared towards guys with a total lack of the opposite. Yes, she does like Twilight, but she's not a fangirl. I respect her opinion and that's all I'm coming from.

The whole male population insulting Twilight at every given opportunity does seem to be a recurring theme nowadays, so I applaud your honesty. Twilight certainly isn't the 'steaming pile of chick flick crap' that it is made out to be. I, like your sister like the film, but am not a 'fangirl'. Men waving their dicks around whenever a film aimed at the female audience is mentioned will always be a given, and I pretty much expect it now.

But, having said all that, I think the amount of hype this film has generated is ridiculous. I watched a video taken at one of the gameshows (can't remember which one now, think it was E3), where they showed a trailer of New Moon, and every time one of the male characters appeared on screen they were screaming madly. I remember fancying Michael. J. Fox the first time I saw Back to the Future in the cinema when I was a teenager, but I never once screamed just at the sight of him. :/

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWally (Post 2679125)
Modern Warfare 2 and Mass Effect 2 would be on this list if I wasn't determined to buy them both before Christmas.

Mass Effect 2 isn't out until January, so you're gonna have a problem there. ;)

Pie™ 10-06-2009 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IG-64 (Post 2679090)
Oh noes, you caught me. :rolleyes:
Never read or seen or played it.

Enjoy.

I don't really have any wishes this Christmas, a small financial boost would come in handy though.

BongoBob 10-06-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie™ (Post 2679166)
Enjoy.

I don't really have any wishes this Christmas, a small financial boost would come in handy though.

I'll see your post and raise you this. Hit the preview button to enjoy Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett of MST3K fame essentially turning it into an episode of MST3K.

Det. Bart Lasiter 10-06-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWally (Post 2679125)
Sound pretty accurate to me, actually. I see nothing wrong with this quote.

so when are we gonna see more pics of your abs, bro

http://i37.tinypic.com/f0rrxw.jpg

Kjølen 10-06-2009 01:13 PM

Google "Twilight make me depressed" and look at all the results. The subtle brainwashing of young women to believe they should be like "normal girl" girl Bella and find the perfect gentleman boy eventually causes doubt, trauma, and severe self-confidence issues when they don't. The books are laid out to ensnare weak-minded, create a lovely fantasy, and instill a subconscious hint that you should and can get the same thing. Eventually the reader can only be happy when they pick up the book again and forget themselves in the fantasy. For awhile. Then it just comes back worse.
THAT is my problem with Twilight.

And I want a new job for Christmas. Maybe finally have my webcomic started.

Det. Bart Lasiter 10-06-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kjølen (Post 2679228)
Google "Twilight make me depressed" and look at all the results. The subtle brainwashing of young women to believe they should be like "normal girl" girl Bella and find the perfect gentleman boy eventually causes doubt, trauma, and severe self-confidence issues when they don't. The books are laid out to ensnare weak-minded, create a lovely fantasy, and instill a subconscious hint that you should and can get the same thing. Eventually the reader can only be happy when they pick up the book again and forget themselves in the fantasy. For awhile. Then it just comes back worse.
THAT is my problem with Twilight.

It's somewhat related to this, but to clarify my earlier, point, I take issue with the use of gender stereotypes to form an argument against sexism, such as the idea of men disliking Twilight because it is marketed to women (which reinforces societal gender roles for both sexes), since the root causes of sexism are those same stereotypes.

It's also ****ing terrible from a literary perspective, in addition to its attempt to pressure people into trying to fit into a gender stereotype, as Kojo brought up.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.