LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   LucasForums Poll (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=607)
-   -   What holiday do you celebrate? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=201815)

Jae Onasi 12-09-2009 12:50 PM

What holiday do you celebrate?

Which holiday do you celebrate? Christmas? Hanukkah? Winter Solstice? Something else? Share your answer and some of your favorite holiday traditions here! You may choose more than one holiday--some people celebrate a couple.

Sabretooth 12-09-2009 12:54 PM

The celebrate the reverse-anniversary of the 2012 apocalypse, can we add that to the options please? Thanks.

mimartin 12-09-2009 01:23 PM

View page
YouTube Video
Bah! Humbug!

:xp:

Hallucination 12-09-2009 02:08 PM

I'll let Zach Weiner take this one:
http://zs1.smbc-comics.com/comics/20070927.gif

Pho3nix 12-09-2009 02:24 PM

Festivus.

Trench 12-09-2009 03:52 PM

Christmas. :D And just for the heck of it, I voted Yoda as well. :xp:

swphreak 12-09-2009 04:10 PM

I celebrate Presents Day.

Det. Bart Lasiter 12-09-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarWarsPhreak (Post 2692704)
I celebrate Presents Day.

quotin this

jrrtoken 12-09-2009 06:55 PM

Lucifermas

Q 12-10-2009 12:40 AM

^Haha. Antichristmas.

Darth Avlectus 12-10-2009 04:19 AM

I pretty much celebrate most anything if invited. Primarily Christmas, happy new year.

Oh and it's spelled "Chaunikka" wrong! ::
...Well, not that I'm uptight about it. Have celebrated this with the jewish part of my family.

Yoda just because it's there.

I used to celebrate antichrist-mas. That was a long time ago.

Winter Solstice is one I celebrate beause it is universally recognized and it is in this common sharing that I believe the human race can finally unite. If nothing else I like to think of the beginning of every season and solstice as a celebration.

I have never celebrated an Islamic holiday nor do I know any. Though I do have one persian friend, an old man who immigrated here to USA decades ago for his freedom to see his ailing mother enjoy them for herself. I don't remember what he said exactly but the English translation of a prayer on his wall was something to the order of "Under the blessing of God, may this home be peaceful and here the family safely preside." So whatever he celebrates alongside all other holidys in this country I hope his is just as merry as Christmas is to Christians, and as well off as Chaunikka for the Jews.

Other b/c every day should be counted as a blessing, anyways.

mimartin 12-10-2009 11:29 AM

I am truly offended that the author of this poll did not include the most celebrated and cherished moment of the season. January 7th the National Championship game. It must be bias showing since that Ohio State team is regulated to lesser status of playing a warm up game in Pasadena.

Jae Onasi 12-10-2009 11:34 AM

Hanukkah/Chanukah is a word transliterated from Hebrew, and both Romanized spellings are considered acceptable. :)

The Rose Bowl Parade and Rose Bowl on Jan 1. is much better than whatever they have (if anything) for that silly little game that's not good enough to be shown on Jan 1st.

Ping 12-10-2009 04:39 PM

I celebrate Christmas, and Chinese New Year, though I think the latter is still a couple months away. Unfortunate thing is, my parents are making me go to church on Christmas Eve. I know we're just going to sing Christmas carols, but....just, ugh.

Samnmax221 12-12-2009 03:40 AM

Can't put Christ back in a holiday he wasn't in in the first place.

purifier 12-12-2009 04:20 AM

I celebrate "Gift-Giving Day"

Which for some odd reason is on the 25th of Dec. :raise:

urluckyday 12-12-2009 12:29 PM

Christmas...agh...I can't wait until Christmas...

GeneralPloKoon 12-12-2009 06:48 PM

Christmas to the max!

Tobias Reiper 12-13-2009 02:11 AM

Well, I'm an Atheist, so I vote for...
CHRISTMAS!
Why?
BECAUSE CHRISTMAS IS AWESOME.
Plus, I've not met one family, NOT ONE, that mentioned or even thought of Jesus during Christmas. It's all this Santa Claus stuff instead, and why not?

Arannor 12-13-2009 04:28 AM

I celebrate Christmas, but I do respect the other holidays.

Samnmax221 12-13-2009 01:09 PM

^^^^http://bp3.blogger.com/_g42gTPfxxbA/...00/Karenga.jpgRespect my Kwanzaa or I'll put yo toes in a vice!!1

Darth Eclipse 12-13-2009 05:02 PM

Christmas.

Darth InSidious 12-13-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samnmax221 (Post 2693276)
Can't put Christ back in a holiday he wasn't in in the first place.

Your poor history amuses me.

jawathehutt 12-13-2009 05:46 PM

I celebrate the not religious parts of Christmas and the pastafarian holiday known as a holiday

Mandalore The Shadow 12-13-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth InSidious (Post 2693693)

Jesus was born in September they decided the date of that holiday to get the roman pagans to convert and I'm a pagan so I celebrate the winter solstice.

Darth InSidious 12-13-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandalore The Shadow (Post 2693701)
Jesus was born in September they decided the date of that holiday to get the roman pagans to convert and I'm a pagan so I celebrate the winter solstice.

Mmm, no.

It was more likely chosen since it was nine months after the feast of the Annunciation, which falls on March 25th. This in turn was probably calculated by using the references to Zechariah being in the Holy of Holies (Luke 1:8-25) - which would have happened at the Feast of Tabernacles. Jesus, Luke's Gospel also claims, was conceived in the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy (Luke 1:26), placing his conception around the spring equinox.

See also: "De solstitiia", "De Trinitate" IV,5.

Hawkstrong16 12-13-2009 06:49 PM

Christmas.

I was gonna vote Yoda to but I forgot to hit it :( lol

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan 12-13-2009 07:11 PM

I remember Jesus all the time, Christmas is nothing more to me than Presents Day.

As to the pagan stuff: the rest of the world messes up everything of ours (Christians), so why not commandeer their pagan festival? :^:

Det. Bart Lasiter 12-13-2009 11:49 PM

can't you just drink until you don't care about that **** anymore like a normal person it's christmas

purifier 12-14-2009 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretooth (Post 2693803)
Ladies and Gentlemen, place your bets on who gets snipped by moderators first, Samnmax supporters raise your Salman Rushdie books, Darathy supporters raise your crosses, let's make some money out of this, people! o_Q

*purifier eagerly counts his money*

Wait a minute.......what's the odds? :raise:

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan 12-14-2009 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samnmax221
Last time I checked you guys commandeered a Jewish thing, which they'd commandeered from the Canaanites.

:shades2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabertooth
Ladies and Gentlemen, place your bets on who gets snipped by moderators first, Samnmax supporters raise your Salman Rushdie books, Darathy supporters raise your crosses, let's make some money out of this, people!

50 on Samnmax.

I personally don't fancy my posts being meddled with, so i keep garlic on-topic material in them to ward off moderators:
http://a2.vox.com/6a00bf76d0a9b74383...c1f20004-500pi

True_Avery 12-14-2009 11:52 AM

My family celebrates Christmas and Chaunikka, and a few other things throughout the year. We just adopted a few holidays into our yearly routine to better understand other religions and kind of use them as an educational experience. Doesn't hurt that a lot of Jewish holdays are pretty fun and usually involve food.

Speaking of Chaunikka:
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid...jg/14644-ep005

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth InSidious

http://www.history.com/content/chris...-of-christmas/

Astor 12-14-2009 12:03 PM

I voted 'humbug' because i'm not really into christmas at all, but I regret not voting QISmaS after seeing that no-one voted for it. :p

CommanderQ 12-14-2009 03:29 PM

I celebrate Christmas the Christian way...though I'd agree with JIGOS, I try to celebrate Christ everyday, Christmas just has presents along with it :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astor Kaine (Post 2693875)
I voted 'humbug'

You will be visited by 3 spirits...*continues tale* :D

Alkonium 12-14-2009 03:42 PM

I celebrate Christmas in a completely secular way. Also, even though it's a month later, does Winter-een-mas count?

Darth Avlectus 12-14-2009 03:54 PM

Ohh, yeah--I also celebrate itchy and scratchy day, happy new year, and I guees a new one: cut down this 10 foot tall snowman some douchebags decided to make in the MIDDLE of one of my snow clearing accounts' driveways. I hate it when people do this crap--all it leaves is an intrusive mess to clean up. Now if you'll excuse me...

*Whips out Samurai Sword*

Mandalore The Shadow 12-14-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth InSidious (Post 2693706)
Mmm, no.

It was more likely chosen since it was nine months after the feast of the Annunciation, which falls on March 25th. This in turn was probably calculated by using the references to Zechariah being in the Holy of Holies (Luke 1:8-25) - which would have happened at the Feast of Tabernacles. Jesus, Luke's Gospel also claims, was conceived in the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy (Luke 1:26), placing his conception around the spring equinox.

See also: "De solstitiia", "De Trinitate" IV,5.

Still to my credit here is some simple math: Jesus = not born in December

Jae Onasi 12-14-2009 07:12 PM

Allahu ackbar.

I deleted both DI's and samnmax's posts at the same time (multi-post deletion ftw), so sorry Sabretooth, you can't win any bets on this one. :xp:

If you want to debate the dates of the birth of Christ, please do so in Kavar's Corner. If you want to discuss religious history, please do so in Kavar's Corner as well. This is supposed to be a more light-hearted thread.

The emphasis here is Fun with a capital Fu. Thanks.

darth_kira56 12-14-2009 09:35 PM

Im going nonoffensive
merry whatever-you-cellebrate
and if i offend someone, may my computer explode

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan 12-15-2009 02:53 AM

Quote:

Allahu ackbar.
LOL, i was just going to point that out. An other idiocy like AI-rack/ran :rolleyes: I reckon that must've Bush's most effective attack against the Muslim world. In theory, sure it'll work; But in practice, it just makes the pronouncer sound stupid. (half the continental US :xp:)

Quote:

I deleted both DI's and samnmax's posts at the same time (multi-post deletion ftw), so sorry Sabretooth, you can't win any bets on this one.
which one did you select first?

Quote:

Originally Posted by darth_kira56
Im going nonoffensive
merry whatever-you-cellebrate
and if i offend someone, may my computer explode

Your sickening apathetic attitude is clearly a calculated attack on those who have taken the time and effort to determine an alignment on this issue. I for one, am irrevocably antagonized by such a spiteful post.