LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   The Force Unleashed 2 (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=767)
-   -   Character customization (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=201858)

ehdrmfka 12-13-2009 01:30 AM

Character customization
 
I was very disappointed with one fixed character in FU, this time they should make a character customization system where you could choose sex at least.

anyone agree?

Rake 12-13-2009 01:43 AM

I think in TFU the predetermined character actually adds to the experience, instead of detracting; Starkiller female version?

Ser'eck 12-13-2009 05:17 AM

IMO, customization is not always a good thing!

M@RS 12-13-2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehdrmfka (Post 2693497)
I was very disappointed with one fixed character in FU, this time they should make a character customization system where you could choose sex at least.

anyone agree?

It wouldn't go very well in TFU since the first game already shows the main character as a male. However, it would nice to be able to customize his clothes/armor, etc.

Jeff 12-13-2009 11:31 AM

Well, I know you are more talking about appearance, but at least you could customize your force powers and lightsaber, as well as pick which outfit he wore. I thought that was pretty good customization for an action game. Since it's Starkiller again, I wouldn't expect much more than that.

SW01 12-13-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 2693592)
as well as pick which outfit he wore. I thought that was pretty good customization for an action game.

True...though I don't know about everyone else but I found it pretty annoying to have one in-game costume and then a completely different costume and sabre colour in cut-scenes at times. Yes, I understand that it was likely tied to cut-scene quality, but still.

If there was to be one customisation fix, that's probably the one I'd most want to see. I really love games that make it all more immersive by allowing the creation of a unique character, but I agree that it probably wouldn't work so well in the more linear TFU format.

Astor 12-13-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW01 (Post 2693596)
True...though I don't know about everyone else but I found it pretty annoying to have one in-game costume and then a completely different costume and sabre colour in cut-scenes at times.

I too always found that annoying and stupid. I hope that they fix that this time.

I'm not too bothered about changing the appearance all that much. I thought Assassin's Creed II handled the customisation pretty well - that you could choose your armour and the colour of your outfit, but it's not something i'd miss if it wasn't there.

Jeff 12-13-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW01 (Post 2693596)
True...though I don't know about everyone else but I found it pretty annoying to have one in-game costume and then a completely different costume and sabre colour in cut-scenes at times. Yes, I understand that it was likely tied to cut-scene quality, but still.

If there was to be one customisation fix, that's probably the one I'd most want to see. I really love games that make it all more immersive by allowing the creation of a unique character, but I agree that it probably wouldn't work so well in the more linear TFU format.

Yeah that part was not good. In the Wii version (and I assume PS2), the cutscenes showed whatever costume and lightsaber you currently had equipped in-game, so it's pretty bad that they couldn't do that on 360/PS3.

Zerimar Nyliram 12-13-2009 05:53 PM

Absolutely not. Some games simply have a set character, which is perfectly fine. In fact, in my experience, games where you play as a defined character are generally by far better than those where you play as a custom-built character.

I mean, come on, was Revan really all that great? The guy was pretty much devoid of any personality whatsoever and just did what ever you told him to. The only reason he's so popular is because of the "big spoiler."

Darth Eclipse 12-13-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 2693614)
Yeah that part was not good. In the Wii version (and I assume PS2), the cutscenes showed whatever costume and lightsaber you currently had equipped in-game, so it's pretty bad that they couldn't do that on 360/PS3.

Well, the Wii cutscene quality was horrible.

Rinku 12-13-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerimar Nyliram (Post 2693678)
Absolutely not. Some games simply have a set character, which is perfectly fine. In fact, in my experience, games where you play as a defined character are generally by far better than those where you play as a custom-built character.

I am fine with a fixed character. I just want them to have numerous costumes and lightsaber choices (more than in TFU 1).

Zerimar Nyliram 12-13-2009 10:01 PM

Oh. Well, in that case, I agree with you. The costumes were one of the funnest parts about the game for me.

Jeff 12-14-2009 01:04 AM

I hope they do away with all the silly lightsaber colors (black).

Zerimar Nyliram 12-14-2009 04:06 AM

Blue, green, yellow, and red are all you need, really. Maybe orange, too. I also wouldn't mind having the color's contrast being customizable, or even having in-between colors.

But yes, the black lightsaber was stupid.

Cayal 12-14-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 2693614)
Yeah that part was not good. In the Wii version (and I assume PS2), the cutscenes showed whatever costume and lightsaber you currently had equipped in-game, so it's pretty bad that they couldn't do that on 360/PS3.

It was their first attempt on the 360/PS3 so I can give them a pass for having a few bugs. They have no excuse this time around.

As for customisation, I hope you can customise his clothes/armour and have a choice of lightsabre you want to use (single, dual, double ended) as well as colour.

WraithPrince 12-14-2009 10:59 PM

I hope his costumes have less belts this time around... no im serious his first outfit had like 5 belts... comon I mean it -_-''

Jeff 12-14-2009 11:22 PM

I actually liked most of his costumes, especially the default one and the "heavy" one which was my favorite.

As for lightsabers, I hope there are multiple choices as I think his style in the first game was cooler than 2 lightsabers.

Ser'eck 12-15-2009 12:47 AM

On lightsabers, I am still waiting to see a SW game where players can completely customize their lightsabers. Everything from the design of the hilt to the color of the crystal. It would be cool if they had options like those toy lightsaber kits.

Cayal 12-15-2009 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed Jedi (Post 2694033)
On lightsabers, I am still waiting to see a SW game where players can completely customize their lightsabers. Everything from the design of the hilt to the color of the crystal. It would be cool if they had options like those toy lightsaber kits.

That would be pretty cool, but I fully expect that to be in a KotOR type game.

Shem 12-15-2009 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 2693789)
I hope they do away with all the silly lightsaber colors (black).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerimar Nyliram (Post 2693814)
But yes, the black lightsaber was stupid.

I agree with you both on a sense.

BUT!

Not everybody feels that way. You have to look at it as you're not forced to use those lightsaber color options, so just don't use them like me. Then there are those who think they're cool, especially the black. I personally hate but, again since I don't have a gun pointed at my head to use it, I'm okay with it being in the game. You have to remember that lots of people liked having a black lightsaber. I don't understand it the appeal, but it's there and it was a SMART move by LucasArts to put it in the game just to please others.

I just don't understand how someone can say something like that ruined their gaming experience (not saying you both did) when it was a situation where you didn't have to use it.

With me, I don't use the purple, gold/orange and yellow lightsaber colors as they were not used in the movies; therefore they're not apart of George Lucas' vision. But again, it's about what others like and giving options to please a larger audience is smart marketing which is why I said it was a good move to do.

HK-42 12-15-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shem (Post 2694047)
With me, I don't use the purple, gold/orange and yellow lightsaber colors as they were not used in the movies; therefore they're not apart of George Lucas' vision. But again, it's about what others like and giving options to please a larger audience is smart marketing which is why I said it was a good move to do.

Well purple is in the prequel trilogies.

Shem 12-15-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HK-42 (Post 2694158)
Well purple is in the prequel trilogies.

But I don't use it as it wouldn't have been in there if Sam Jackson wasn't given his request. ;)

Zerimar Nyliram 12-15-2009 05:06 PM

Well, I'm not so sure about that. In the Expanded Universe, Mara Jade has a purple blade long before the prequels came out. And she's a popular enough character that the purple lightsaber may very well have circulated into games like this had there never been a Mace Windu. It's just that more people are familiar with the movies, so Mace has logically trumped Mara as the number one purple lightsaber wielder.

Jeff 12-15-2009 07:46 PM

I did the same thing, just pretended the black lightsaber didn't exist, but I still think it's dumb. :p I am a traditionalist like you Shem so I only recognize red, blue, green, and I guess purple.

jrrtoken 12-15-2009 07:52 PM

I'm looking forward to the announcement of a very androgynous, Bowie-esque Starkiller, for obvious reasons.

Jeff 12-15-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastramiX (Post 2694244)
I'm looking forward to the announcement of a very androgynous, Bowie-esque Starkiller, for obvious reasons.

I hope LucasArts is reading this (if they didn't think of it already).

jrrtoken 12-15-2009 09:11 PM

See, the only problem I fathom that we would encounter is the non-existence of gameplay. Starkiller-Bowie's radiating Force Aura would only need to be witnessed by the underlings that dare cross his path; no button-mashing Force combos, lightsaber duels, or even aiming; just a lively stroll through the Galaxy.

Rinku 12-15-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastramiX (Post 2694264)
no button-mashing Force combos, lightsaber duels, or even aiming.

Off-Topic: Forgot to add, "aimlessly swinging a Wii-remote," since that is what my brother did (along with many people I bet) :xp:. I personally liked the combat style on the Wii (just get rid of the final scenes in the boss battles).

On-Topic:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff
I did the same thing, just pretended the black lightsaber didn't exist, but I still think it's dumb. I am a traditionalist like you Shem so I only recognize red, blue, green, and I guess purple.

QFT. I really did not see the point in a black lightsaber. But seeing as there is a large fan-base for it I see that it was just a way to boost the popularity of TFU I (as Shem stated earlier).

GeneralPloKoon 12-17-2009 03:15 AM

Customization could work for the multiplayer.

Mandalore_ 12-17-2009 09:11 AM

You shouldn't be able to choose sex and that will not happend so just forget it.

But you should be able to choose you outfit, lightsaber hilt and crystal, like in Kotor. It would be cool if your outfit could effect your gameplay to? I mean if you had an armor you would walk slower but you could take more hits, or a jedi robe you would move faster but would take more damage?

Like in TFU you could do some customization now they could take it up a bit.

Harkonnen07 12-18-2009 03:34 PM

For most customization, like those suggested, armor wise that would take more then just adding it. They would need some way to get it, and something like that probably wouldn't be just given. So I'm guessing some type of money system, which would mean a store that you could buy the stuff at, and to go one step further a customization bench or something like what was used in KOTOR.

Now while that may seem fine, TFU really doesn't strike me as that type of game and to stop and go through an inventory would sorta ruin the flow of the game.

Azrael 725 12-19-2009 04:39 PM

I would want to see some sort of customization. More in armor and clothing. Kinda like a soul calibur or oblivion type. Where u could pick ur chest armor, leg armor, arms, gloves, etc. just narrow it down to certain things, like u could hav boba fetts gauntlets and have a clone trooper chest piece. stuff like that. kind of like assassins creed 2. and u could change the colors like in borderlands. as for lightsabers go. u could do it, just limit it. like after u kill a jedi boss u could take his emitter or grip or whatever and put it on your lightsaber, be able to mix and match. but all this stuff would have to be cosmetic, cause sometimes studios make the best armor in the game look like crap, cosmetic only. i would like to see different lightsaber forms, i like the marek style but if i could hav that in dual style, that would be badass. these are just sum thoughts, they are possible, but lucasarts would have to limit down the choices.

Lord Foley 01-04-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandalore_ (Post 2694533)
It would be cool if your outfit could effect your gameplay to? I mean if you had an armor you would walk slower but you could take more hits, or a jedi robe you would move faster but would take more damage?

I actually wouldn't really like that too much, simply because it might deter me from using an outfit that I would otherwise think was cool. I like being able to wear any costume without having to play around it, know what I mean?

Qui-Gon Glenn 01-26-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastramiX (Post 2694244)
I'm looking forward to the announcement of a very androgynous, Bowie-esque Starkiller, for obvious reasons.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but this made me laugh out loud.

I can see it now, SK hanging out with the Mick-jaggernauts, ooh ah ooh....

Blix 01-26-2010 09:48 PM

The main problem i've found with player customizations is the "controversy" that stems from it because people have an ideal depiction of (insert jedi name here), this caters to both sex and race. I think some customizable elements is preferred over a "predetermined" game ala the days of Super Star Wars, where you simply use what you've got from enemy drops or random pick-ups instead of fine-tuned player detail.

While I agree that black is a horrid lightsaber color (how can it even glow - err keep away from motels) I fully embrace new colors and hilt models. Your traditional blue, green, and red may be the staple of SW canon but it's also only a color and GL's lightsaber rules only really apply to the movies anyway so the games allow players to ignore that bit of canon trivia.

I'm all for exotic colors and force techniques since if anything it allows players to individualize their character and may not feel like they are continually using "played out" colors and force techniques, think how boring the game could be if you were only allowed to use force techniques specifically from the original trilogy.

Disturbed205 04-17-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shem (Post 2694200)
But I don't use it as it wouldn't have been in there if Sam Jackson wasn't given his request. ;)

Then, technically, green shouldn't be either, as Lucas was forced to use it because Luke's blue saber wouldn't show up against the bright blue sky.

Shem 04-17-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbed205 (Post 2719427)
Then, technically, green shouldn't be either, as Lucas was forced to use it because Luke's blue saber wouldn't show up against the bright blue sky.

I've thought about that point to myself, but there is one HUGE difference. The green lightsaber became very commonly used. Lucas never inserted the purple lightsaber among other Jedi outside of Windu.

Disturbed205 04-22-2010 04:53 PM

True, but there wasn't much room to insert the purple lightsaber anywhere, as the only reason Sam requested was to stand out in the movies. It would have been a pretty dick move to start giving everyone purple lightsabers :P

Ghost 04-23-2010 06:08 PM

What would be a great easter egg is if they add Revan's Armor to the costume list. Case closed. While it would encourage female gameplayers to play the game, i'm not that much of a fan of too much customization. But then again, it would be nice to have some side missions or like an exploration mode like Kotor. Say a space battle, or even a mission as Juno Eclipse.

I agree with Shem, what ever makes the people who play it happy, let it be. IMO, the Black lightsaber wasn't all that bad, but it isn't my favorite. I usually like playing canon so I go with red then blue.

What I would like is a Jedi Knight/Academy style system of customization. Choose your blade(s), single, two-sabers, double, then hilt color, and voila. What also would be awesome is if they brought Jedi Knight Game guns into the game, like Kyle's blaster style or the Disrupter, the grenade, because in Jedi Outcast I had some great pwnage with the sniper rifle and rocket launcher and stuff, and they should bring back glory of the Jedi Knight games, as it isn't all that different.

Shem 04-23-2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbed205 (Post 2720415)
True, but there wasn't much room to insert the purple lightsaber anywhere, as the only reason Sam requested was to stand out in the movies. It would have been a pretty dick move to start giving everyone purple lightsabers :P

That's not true at all. Sam Jackson requested it because it is his favorite color. That's all it was.

And the reason Lucas granted that favor to him is because of his respect for Jackson. I mean Lucas originally had the Mace Windu character as an alien. When Jackson approached Lucas telling him he would like to be in his new movies, Lucas decided to give him the part of Mace Windu since Windu was going to be the most powerful Jedi outside of Yoda. All of this is because Lucas is a huge fan of Jackson.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.