LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   LucasForums Poll (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=607)
-   -   What's your longest marathon gaming session? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=203776)

Jae Onasi 05-05-2010 10:04 AM

What's your longest marathon gaming session?

What's the longest stretch of gaming you've done? Don't count meals/biobreaks. All gaming counts--consoles, PC, pen-and-paper, board games, you name it.
Is an hour or so all you can stand? Have you pulled an all-nighter because you just couldn't put the controller or dice down?

Which game was your marathon game?

Lynk Former 05-05-2010 10:18 AM

Déjà vu

General LiWar 05-05-2010 10:18 AM

I want to say even longer than that, but I can definitely account for a 12 hour loss of time when odst came out. Getting all those firefight achievos took forever

Jae Onasi 05-05-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynk Former (Post 2722768)
Déjà vu

Yep, I got the idea from Lynk's poll on the Twilight Lynk forums. Sorry I forgot to mention it in the OP! :)

Pho3nix 05-05-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Déjà vu

XD

@Topic

Probably around 15-16 hours maybe, the game in question was GTA III when it first came out :cool:

Back when I still played WoW I could easily play it 10+ hours a day as well

M@RS 05-05-2010 10:37 AM

About 12-14 hours, and the game of choice was Borderlands when it came out. :P

mimartin 05-05-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Déjà vu

All over again.

18-20 hours, something I'm not proud of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jae Onasi (Post 2722766)
Which game was your marathon game?

KOTOR, TSL, GTA IV, Fable 2, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, BioShock, Oblivion and Fallout 3. Like I wrote I'm not proud of it, but does not keep me from still doing it.

Sabretooth 05-05-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Déjà vu

As an irregular GameFAQs regular, I say double déjà vu.

LordOfTheFish 05-05-2010 11:31 AM

I don't think I've ever gone more than 4 hours at a time.

Wookiee Rrudolf 05-05-2010 12:11 PM

10 - 12 hours is a normal pen and paper RPG session for me and my friends. Once or twice a month :)
But I can't play computer games for long - they hurt my eyes ;) The longest computer marathon was Dungeon Siege, but I don't know how long I played... it ended up at about 3 am with 'Stop playing or I'll trow you out the window with your PC!' :xp:

ChAiNz.2da 05-05-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimartin (Post 2722781)
All over again.

18-20 hours, something I'm not proud of.

KOTOR, TSL, GTA IV, Fable 2, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, BioShock, Oblivion and Fallout 3. Like I wrote I'm not proud of it, but does not keep me from still doing it.

^^^
This. Almost identical as well.. scary. :indif:
Replace GTA, Fable & DA with Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights & DDO (though DDO was a guild event just to see who would start to snore in their mic first.. hehe)... damn fun day that was :lol:

Jae Onasi 05-05-2010 01:40 PM

I think the longest gaming session for me was in the 16-18 hour range--KOTOR, TSL, VTMB, NWN2, Dragon Age, LOTRO, Guild Wars, and Star Trek Online have all sucked me in for very long periods of time. I have spent many a late night with KOTOR, TSL, and VTMB. I've fallen asleep at the keyboard playing LOTRO a few times, waking up to discover that my finger was still pressing the walk key and my toon was trying her darnedest to walk through a wall.

The longest group time might have been with my college buddies when we played a marathon D&D session. All of us were on campus over spring break, and we didn't have any work that day, so we got our stuff together, met in the student lounge early one morning, and gamed until the staff kicked us out at 11 that night. We took turns running upstairs to the cafeteria at meal times to grab sandwiches so no one messed with our stuff. It was a fantastic time. I miss being able to do that, actually.

mimartin 05-05-2010 01:42 PM

:eek: Forgot all about Morrowind. :xp:

Endorenna 05-05-2010 01:54 PM

Currently, on weekends, I find myself playing my games 10-14 hours, probably 'cuz I have no life. :lol: The games are ME, ME2, and Dragon Age.

Gurges-Ahter 05-05-2010 04:37 PM

I answered 10-12, and I did that for my first playthroughs of KotOR and TSL.

Aside from those two games, I'd say the longest I've gone is 2-4 hours on MarioKart (SNES) or StarCraft.

True_Avery 05-05-2010 05:55 PM

I've gamed for well over 24 hours straight a few times, especially with RPGs and the days of MMOs. Not so much anymore, but still hit around the 15+ mark at times.

EDIT: Also, why am I only 1 of 2 people to go 24+ hours. Lucasforums, I am disappoint.

ZimmMaster 05-05-2010 06:37 PM

13 hours one day on summer vacation. Just unboxed and installed KOTOR II. Would have played longer but I fell asleep at my computer and woke up at 3 am with an imprint of my keyboard on my forehead.

Gamma097 05-05-2010 06:42 PM

I'm not really sure how long I've played, but I voted "6-8 hours. I love my games." It's probably more like 8-10 hours.

Darth InSidious 05-05-2010 07:30 PM

I've probably managed 10-12 hour gaming sessions before. Anything more than that tests my patience. And I also seem to end up with a headache. I don't remember any longer sessions than that, anyway.

Although I did play KotOR for six hours solidly at one point, shortly after it came out IIRC.

TriggerGod 05-05-2010 07:51 PM

Although technically it wasn't a full 24+ hours, but I used to spend a lot of time playing through all my old games (as in PS1, Genesis, 64, and Game Boy Color), and it was at least 30 hours, including breaks to dispose of waste and to get nourishment.

Miltiades 05-05-2010 07:55 PM

10-12, I think was the longest. RPG's do that to me.

jrrtoken 05-05-2010 09:39 PM

The longest that I've played in one sitting is 4-6 hours, but even at over an hour I start to feel like a gluttonous waste of flesh. :p

I also seem to enjoy and better remember games when played in one to two-hour chunks per day, so that I can better savor the feeling of "What'll happen tomorrow?", and to stretch out the brave new world of the six-hour-long campaign. >_>

urluckyday 05-05-2010 11:09 PM

2-4 hours...I can't sit in front of a TV for more than that and not want to go outside and play a sport. I'm weird like that.

purifier 05-05-2010 11:59 PM

As far back in my childhood that I can remember, I think the longest time I ever played a game was around 29 hours.

I was playing hide-go-seek and I got lost somewhere.

Blix 05-06-2010 02:32 AM

I think 6-8 hrs is normal for me with any new game (depending on how good of a game it is). I spent several hours a day during my first playthroughs of both KOTOR games and Fable.

leXX 05-06-2010 04:30 AM

I voted 6-8 because that was the average I would play WoW on a daily basis, but I'm sure I've had a few longer ones.

Mandalore The Shadow 05-06-2010 06:38 AM

18-20 playing Halo a combination of campagn, multiplayer, and ODST played with some friends all night

Samnmax221 05-06-2010 01:25 PM

12-14, when I was supposed to be doing something else, many times. The worst was the time the only thing I had to eat in that time was candy and eggnog, I became incredibly sick and never did it again.

Arannor 05-07-2010 12:01 AM

12-14, I believe it was just in a little over 12 hours for me. That's when I used to play K1 and K2, sadly my desktop that I had used went out on me and my laptop is not good enough to support the games.

Q 05-07-2010 09:53 PM

18-20 hours playing Baldur's Gate II. That game is a timesink if ever I've seen one. :D

Tommycat 05-08-2010 02:33 AM

Sad to admit it, but I'm one of the few over 24 hours crowd. It was SWG. I was flying crews to level pilot in my YT. Though I don't know if it counts as a couple of times I heard on Vent, "HEY VAD! WAKE UP!" Then there was the space mining phase... Just ten more loads..... Oh and grinding a master Shipwright AFTER NGE. Foof getting rid of the macro grind there was rough...

edit: To be fair, I have also spent more than 24 contiguous hours reading a good book.

Mav 05-08-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True_Avery (Post 2722846)
EDIT: Also, why am I only 1 of 2 people to go 24+ hours. Lucasforums, I am disappoint.

Because you and Lynk are filthy liars, nobody can game for 24+ hours straight, everyone must at some point make a poo in the toilet. :carms:

TriggerGod 05-08-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 2723395)
Because you and Lynk are filthy liars, nobody can game for 24+ hours straight, everyone must at some point make a poo in the toilet. :carms:

View page
YouTube Video

Jasper_Kazai 05-09-2010 11:26 AM

Last semester, during finals week, a friend and I had two days straight of nothing to do. So on both of those days, we took his Xbox and Fable II downstairs to the basement and played Fable II for 14 hours on both days. You really lose your sense of time down there...
Aside from that, though, I usually hold gaming marathons anyways. Daily, usually. Just not quite as long.

Darth Avlectus 05-09-2010 01:12 PM

Video gaming...my biggest record was about 8 hours and it felt horribly unproductive.
I have to get up and do things. Especially nowadays.

Games I have spent the longest with:
Any GTA game--though vice city was the only one on which I pulled an all nighter compulsively (8 hours). I slept for 1.5 hrs after sun up and dreamt I was in vice city doing car stunt practice--it all ended when some douchebag came up to me with a camera and microphone after botching a big stunt, asking how it felt to totally botch a big stunt for the world to watch. I simply replied something Tommy Vercetti said: "*** HOLE!"
"but sir--"
I woke up yelling
"I didn't ****in' do that stunt for the fame or the money I'm practicing, now GTFO with that crew"
???
"Where am I?"
My pal: :lol:

GTA4 7 hours
GTA SA 6 hours
GTA LCS 5 hours

Trying to get the top rank in megaman X6 (barely worth it IMO) 6 hours--starting from beginning

I'll say 4-5 hours for zelda games, tops

Mega Man X 5--the first day I got it I played it until I beat it--though that can be attributed to being seasoned at X4.
megaman legends 1
megaman legends 2
7 hours the above mentioned

KOTOR
KOTOR 2
both 6 hours at a time

Those familiar with bungie software and having either a mac or a mac emulator of OS 7.5.1 or better: Odyssey Legend of Nemesis.

I have raved about this game elsewhere but I'll give a mini summary here: Excellent story and terrific persona for the bad guy of the story (only part I don't like is the island callled McTeague that has a blatant reference to Karl Marx), but other than that it's pretty good for a 1996 8-bit or so graphics 1 player-1 character RPG.
Fair warning: the story is a dark one and none of the 4 endings are completely happy endings. Suggestion for the order of endings to best satisfaction: 1) Take the deal with the bad guy (THE worst--you'd have to be an idiot), 2) get on the boat with no confrontation and leave (Bad--when you consider the big picture), 3) Go for the mystical staff (Good--possibly best depending on your tastes ...or...), 4) Kill the big guy (Good--this one was my favorite.) 6 hours at a time

Reading has occupied this rough chunk size of time in my life. Arguably.

I've done workouts for 1.5-3 hours before a day of hiking (6-7 hrs), or chopping and hauling wood logs.

In 2004 I wasn't gaming but I couldn't sleep for several nights in a row, literally. Not sure why but I think some health issues were keeping me awake. It was strange b/c I didn't take any stimulants or drugs. There was nothing on my mind at nights, it was just my system overdriving and insomnia for some reason. I started a record of how long I was awake and I finally went to sleep after hitting 106 hours.
On occasion though I also sleep a lot during time off. Though my record here was 22 hours b/c of some flu--otherwise my longest stretches are about ~14-16 hours.

The longest I ever drove (yet) was 10 hrs.

Reffed soccer games 1 after another and otherwise helped out for ~9 hours.

All in all I just can't do this stuff anymore for marathons like these. Makes ya feel like ****.

True_Avery 05-09-2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Thread says to ignore meals/biobreaks :p

Totenkopf 05-09-2010 07:10 PM

I yoda'd it b/c I lose track of time when playing games. Best estimate would be no more than 12-14/time. Probably includes everything (at least once) from Dark Forces to Duke Nukem, Kotor, TSL, ME, Civ, Pirates, HL and sequels, MOH and COD (WW2 versions). 4-6 hours not unusual for most games.

Darth Avlectus 05-10-2010 02:19 AM

Heheh--Duke. That guy was something else I tell ya.

mimartin 05-11-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Depends for gamers.

Show spoiler

TKA-001 05-13-2010 02:39 PM

A few times I've killed the majority of a day on Jedi Academy, Call of Duty: World at War, or one of the KotOR games, but that was all a while ago, and I hope I never do again while I still have anything resembling a social life.