LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Ahto Spaceport Cantina (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=325)
-   -   NBA Champions Lakers (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=204359)

Xarwarz 06-18-2010 02:08 AM

NBA Champions Lakers
 
Just have to give a big congrats to them it was tough but the did it

LordOfTheFish 06-18-2010 02:50 AM

Congrats to them even though I don't watch basketball!

Pho3nix 06-18-2010 05:17 AM

The Raptors would have deserved it.

Shem 06-18-2010 05:37 AM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Canderis 06-18-2010 11:12 AM

TOUCH DOWN LAKERS!
lol- thats what my brother says alot..

mimartin 06-18-2010 11:20 AM

The Lakers deserve it, but only because they won 4 games while Boston only 3 games. ;) I was so excited about last night game that I went to bed. The way it looked at the time to me I was sure the Celtics would win.

Demongo 06-18-2010 01:58 PM

GO LAKERS

In Hungary it was 4:00 a.m. when they started playing but i watched it anyways 'cause i'm a huge fan:D

They definitely deserved it.

NARcotics 06-18-2010 07:19 PM

I'm a Pistons fan. (I know right). Okay anyways, my favorite player is Kobe, and although he played pretty terribly offensively his rebounding was a huge key to the Lakers victory.

Kobe is the greatest player right now, and I have him as the greatest player in NBA history. (Yeah better than Jordan.) Lakers deserved it, because they won. Basketball isn't a sport where you can accidently earn something like, a title. You have to earn it by beating the other team 4 times. The Lakers EARNED it. Congrats LA.

mimartin 06-18-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NARcotics (Post 2732791)
Basketball isn't a sport where you can accidently earn something like, a title. You have to earn it by beating the other team 4 times.

Tell that to the idiots that want to put a asterisk next to the Houston Rockets two championship.

Also Hakeem "the Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest of all-time. Don't believe me? Explain how any Houston team could win a championship. :xp:

Darth Avlectus 06-18-2010 08:33 PM

Any CA team is okay in my opinion. :)

NARcotics 06-18-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimartin (Post 2732796)
Tell that to the idiots that want to put a asterisk next to the Houston Rockets two championship.

Also Hakeem "the Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest of all-time. Don't believe me? Explain how any Houston team could win a championship. :xp:

That got a huge lol out of me haha. :thmbup1:

Did anyone else think that the real Finals MVP should have been Ron Artests psychiatrist? :raise:

Anyways, Kobe's got a ring for every finger on one hand, and one more than Shaq, Kobe beating Shaq at anything always makes me happy.

I disagree with the idea of putting an asterisk next to anybody's title. I like how Celtics fans have been claiming the Lakers deserve an asterisk because of poor officiating. Really? those 50+ rebounds were not influenced by the officials. Kobe shot like crap, the Celtics should have won.

Demongo 06-18-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NARcotics (Post 2732811)
Kobe shot like crap, the Celtics should have won.

Well "shot like crap" is a little far from Kobe. I agree he had better games but still.

NARcotics 06-18-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demongo (Post 2732821)
Well "shot like crap" is a little far from Kobe. I agree he had better games but still.

I believe, now I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was his worst playoff game ever. The Celtics D deserves a LOT of credit it was amazing on him all game, and all series, I have never seen Kobe struggle so much.

He made up for his poor shooting in other facets of the game, who thought Kobe would get 10 rebounds? Let alone 15. And he came up huge in the 4th quarter. Still the greatest closer in NBA history. But 6 for 24 or whatever he wound up shooting is ridiculous.

Demongo 06-18-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NARcotics (Post 2732825)
I believe, now I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was his worst playoff game ever. The Celtics D deserves a LOT of credit it was amazing on him all game, and all series, I have never seen Kobe struggle so much.

He made up for his poor shooting in other facets of the game, who thought Kobe would get 10 rebounds? Let alone 15. And he came up huge in the 4th quarter. Still the greatest closer in NBA history. But 6 for 24 or whatever he wound up shooting is ridiculous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobe
Boston is a heck of a team

He did struggle he admits it in this interview.
But yeah i suppose you're right 6/24 is pretty low.

Qui-Gon Glenn 06-19-2010 01:54 AM

Kobe couldn't tie Michael Jordan's baby shoes.

Kobe could never fit in a Hane's T-shirt.

Kobe will never be measured by any real (non-Laker) basketball fan as anything more than a talented imp. Jordan was THE ENTIRE SHOW.

Silly rabbits...

It kills me, but to the victor go the spoils... Congratulations Lakers.

Demongo 06-19-2010 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qui_gon_glenn (Post 2732917)
Kobe couldn't tie Michael Jordan's baby shoes.

Kobe could never fit in a Hane's T-shirt.

Kobe will never be measured by any real (non-Laker) basketball fan as anything more than a talented imp. Jordan was THE ENTIRE SHOW.

I'm pretty sure someday he will. They even mentioned something about Kobe being the best player currently.

Qui-Gon Glenn 06-19-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demongo (Post 2732946)
I'm pretty sure someday he will. They even mentioned something about Kobe being the best player currently.

Kobe's first three rings never happen without Wilt Chamberneasy, aka Shaq Fu, aka O'Neill.

Jordan's 6 rings, in two separate 3 peats, had good talent around him, but nothing like the Big Daddy. Comparing the two is something kids that didn't see Jordan play in his prime much do. Those of us who grew up watching Bird, Magic and Dr. J by and large agree that Jordan is and will be the man.

Kobe is simply the best thing going, for now. He is a great player, just not in the same league as Jordan.

mimartin 06-19-2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qui_gon_glenn (Post 2732917)
Jordan was THE ENTIRE SHOW.

How many championships did Jordan win when he was the entire show?

How many championships did Jordan win with Scottie Pippen (remember Pippen along with Jordan were named as one of the 50 greatest players in NBA history)?

No, Jordan was the reason for the Bulls runs, but he was not the entire show.

Qui-Gon Glenn 06-20-2010 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimartin (Post 2732968)
How many championships did Jordan win when he was the entire show?

How many championships did Jordan win with Scottie Pippen (remember Pippen along with Jordan were named as one of the 50 greatest players in NBA history)?

No, Jordan was the reason for the Bulls runs, but he was not the entire show.

You can make the argument with Pippen, until you look at the fact that Pippen's Bulls couldn't play playoff basketball, and when they did, Pippen got sad and sullen when Toni got the shot. Pippen is a top 50 player because Jordan showed him the way. Just another dead-beat dad without MJ.

Horace Grant was average, with silly goggles. Bill Cartwright was like a black Kurt Rambis. BJ Armstrong and the rest were just ok.

When the game was on the line, GAME 7, Jordan didn't shoot 6-24. And he had as many rebounds, more steals, and still took all the tough shots like Kobe.

Pippen is not in Shaq's league. In his prime, only Jordan stood out above the Big Diesel. Kobe was a 19 year old punk when he got his first ring... and was not a full-time starter, actually IIRC he was not a starter at all.

I am not saying Kobe is so-so. He is incredible!

He is no Michael Jordan.

Darth Avlectus 06-20-2010 11:55 PM

I don't mind the Lakers but I think it was better with that 7'1" phenom, the Shaq. :D

mimartin 06-21-2010 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qui_gon_glenn (Post 2733412)
You can make the argument with Pippen, until you look at the fact that Pippen's Bulls couldn't play playoff basketball, and when they did, Pippen got sad and sullen when Toni got the shot.

Again how many championships did Michael Jordan win without Scotty Pippen?

Quote:

Originally Posted by qui_gon_glenn (Post 2733412)
Pippen is a top 50 player because Jordan showed him the way. Just another dead-beat dad without MJ.

How does conduct off the court make someone less of a basketball player?
Quote:

Originally Posted by qui_gon_glenn (Post 2733412)
He is no Michael Jordan.

Was not saying he was. I was not disagreeing with you that Michael Jordan was the greatest of all-time. I was disagreeing with you that Michael Jordan won a NBA championship on his own. He did not.

I think Michael Jordan was the greatest all-around basketball player of all-time. Sure there were IMO better dunkers; Dr. J and Dominique Wilkins, better at stealing the ball; John Stockton, better at assists; John Stockton, Jason Kidd and Magic, and better shooters; Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, but Michael could do it all.

However, if I was in the Rockets front office in 1984, knowing what I know now, I would still pick Hakeem Olajuwon with the first pick. Nothing against Jordan, but Iím still more a fan of the Dream.

Kobe is great, but IMO he isn't even the greatest Laker. Magic still has that honor with Kareem Abdul Jabbar a close second.

Qui-Gon Glenn 06-21-2010 12:57 AM

Point conceded, mimartin. There were 4 other starters on the floor at all times :)

I will add to your list of better Lakers Oscar Robinson and George Mikan.

And on Magic we are 100% in agreement.

Isaac Clarke 06-21-2010 07:28 AM

The Celtics deserved it, god dammit!!!!!:swear::headbump:firemad: GO CELTICS!!!!!!
*Whispers*I accidentally chose the Lakers in the poll... Shhh... Nobody has to know... Move along...

Darth Avlectus 06-21-2010 02:49 PM

^^^Wow, you actually *do* give a damn about something for once. :iceburn:

Demongo 06-21-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity (Post 2733560)
^^^Wow, you actually *do* give a damn about something for once. :iceburn:

:lol:

urluckyday 06-21-2010 07:35 PM

Man I wish the NBA wasn't such a joke anymore. Remember back when the NBA wasn't just a dunk contest and they actually played the game of basketball?

I'm not hating on the NBA, and I did watch the Finals...I just wish that the NBA players actually still played the real game of basketball...

Demongo 06-21-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urluckyday (Post 2733630)
Man I wish the NBA wasn't such a joke anymore. Remember back when the NBA wasn't just a dunk contest and they actually played the game of basketball?

I'm not hating on the NBA, and I did watch the Finals...I just wish that the NBA players actually still played the real game of basketball...

Just because not everyone is Jordan doesn't mean it's not basketball.

Qui-Gon Glenn 06-21-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demongo (Post 2733632)
Just because not everyone is Jordan doesn't mean it's not basketball.

Huh?

IMO, urluckyday was referring to how the NBA is nothing but isolation play after iso play currently. And, Demongo, it is possible that he was referring to the really good basketball of Bird, Magic and Dr.J. The game was much more varied, leaned far less on spectacular athletes playing selfishly and more on team play. Stockton-Malone anyone?

I can't say for sure, but your post seemed to lack an understanding of the topic?

urluckyday 06-21-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demongo (Post 2733632)
Just because not everyone is Jordan doesn't mean it's not basketball.

1) Wilt Chamberlain was the best ever...
2) It has less and less to do with the players playing the game as it does the rules and reffing. Players are given more leniency in terms of traveling and this just turns it into a dunk contest to see who can do the most spectacular moves. The kinds of calls the refs make in terms of fouls, which are objective, of course, vary so much nowadays that I don't even think the league knows what the definition of a foul is anymore.
3) Ever since dirty and unruly players like Ron Artest were let back into the league...they've lost all legitimacy in my book. I don't know how a league can allow a player who beat the crap outta one of its fans to come back into the league and basically get off with a slap on the wrist. Believe me, the NBA commissioner is the best out of the big 4 pro sports in America...but that's not saying much. Basketball is my favorite sport to play...but there's a reason why it's right next to hockey on the bottom of the list to watch. (don't even get me started on college sports...bleck)

Demongo 06-22-2010 11:04 AM

Okay, you got a point. Also bad choice of words on my part: by "Jordan" i meant the legends. So what i wanted to say is just because players are not as good as they were before doesn't mean it's basketball.
And about the dunk contest, well you may be right but i'm not quite sure. They are still "playing" the game and there were some spectecular moves back then too.

mimartin 06-22-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urluckyday (Post 2733688)
Believe me, the NBA commissioner is the best out of the big 4 pro sports in America...

That is like saying it is better to be stabbed rather than shot.

Stern is just as terrible, he just does seem not to be as big a stuck up jerk.

Michael Jordan Stern expanded the league, but donít forget 5 teams have relocated during his tenure. Compared to the NFL, MLB and even the NHL the NBA is a league that lacks competitive balance. Since 1984 only 7 different teams have won a NBA championship; Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, Bulls, Rockets, Spurs, and Heat. Twice as many different teams have won the other leagueís championships.

Pho3nix 06-22-2010 01:36 PM

View page
YouTube Video

urluckyday 06-22-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimartin (Post 2733780)
That is like saying it is better to be stabbed rather than shot.

Stern is just as terrible, he just does seem not to be as big a stuck up jerk.

Michael Jordan Stern expanded the league, but donít forget 5 teams have relocated during his tenure. Compared to the NFL, MLB and even the NHL the NBA is a league that lacks competitive balance. Since 1984 only 7 different teams have won a NBA championship; Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, Bulls, Rockets, Spurs, and Heat. Twice as many different teams have won the other leagueís championships.

Correct. That's the biggest issue when it comes to the NBA...parity. In the NFL as well as the MLB (especially NFL), you see some random teams in the playoffs all the time...With the NBA, you will see:
1) Lakers
2) Nuggets
3) Suns
4) Spurs
5) Mavericks
6) Miami/Cleveland/Portland

And so on...

My team, the Timberwolves (so good!), have a really tough time getting back into the mix of things thanks to all the equality problems within the league...

Qui-Gon Glenn 06-22-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demongo (Post 2733777)
Okay, you got a point. Also bad choice of words on my part: by "Jordan" i meant the legends. So what i wanted to say is just because players are not as good as they were before doesn't mean it's basketball.
And about the dunk contest, well you may be right but i'm not quite sure. They are still "playing" the game and there were some spectecular moves back then too.

And so do you :)

I think players are more athletic now than ever. That is simply the evolution of sports science and money. They are like Starkiller in (in TFU1)... incredible but spammy.

David Stern is questionable IMO as the best executive in pro sports. No league wears more egg on their face than the NBA.

I was a server when we opened Old Chicago on 1st Ave in 1993/94, and I waited on Tom Gugliotta and Kevin Garnett in their rookie seasons, respectively. After 3 years there I worked at Palomino, and Charles Barkley always came into my bar when he was in town (as did Cloris Leachman... funny lady!).KG is the ultimate team player, a throwback team player that can still Unleash, and I have always held him in high regard as a human being and athlete. He was a teenager at the time, and he didn't try to get a drink from me... That bar was the hottest place in the city at the time.. lots of fun back then, urluckday!

Prime 06-23-2010 10:26 AM

Some great defense led to some shoddy offense. I missed the finals as I was in Sweden so had to rely on highlights.

But "dynasties" are good for sports. I think complete parity is not really desirable.

You may fire or slings and arrows!

mimartin 06-23-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prime (Post 2734026)
But "dynasties" are good for sports. I think complete parity is not really desirable.

If a team I root for is a dynasty, then that is a good thing. If my team is on the loser side, then I want parity. ;)

urluckyday 06-23-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prime (Post 2734026)
Some great defense led to some shoddy offense. I missed the finals as I was in Sweden so had to rely on highlights.

But "dynasties" are good for sports. I think complete parity is not really desirable.

You may fire or slings and arrows!

Theres a difference between dynasties and disparity. These teams are given an unfair advantage with their money and the fact that big FA usually tend to look over these teams first. In the NFL, there are dynasties...yet, the teams are not unstoppable and do not make the playoffs every year for 10 years like in the NBA. Even the Patriots dynasty only lasted for about 3-4 years...and they were challenged with some very tough opponents every step of the way.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.