LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Ahto Spaceport Cantina (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=325)
-   -   The name was Bond, James Bond. (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=204616)

Ztalker 07-06-2010 05:10 AM

The name was Bond, James Bond.
 
Clicky

MGM has deep financial troubles and doesn't have the money to start producing a new part in the legendary James Bond franchise.

Quote:

MGM: "We do not know when development will resume and cannot comment further at this stage."
MGM won't sell the rights to the franchise I suppose, so our favorite spy is retiring early.

Thoughts?

Astor 07-06-2010 05:24 AM

I thought that had been cancelled months ago...

Not really bothered, if i'm honest. The new Bond wasn't bad, but I never liked it as much as the classic ones.

Sabretooth 07-06-2010 05:31 AM

The real reason is that they know they can never make a spy movie as good as Alpha Protocol.

Lynk Former 07-06-2010 05:56 AM

Old news.


But in the meantime Daniel Craig is working on the remake of GoldenEye for Wii... I guess they have to do something...

RC-1162 07-06-2010 06:06 AM

Meh, I'm waiting for the new Bourne anyway :P

Q 07-06-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astor (Post 2737124)
Not really bothered, if i'm honest. The new Bond wasn't bad, but I never liked it as much as the classic ones.

Same here. No one can replace Connery.

Besides, the Cold War has been over for nearly 20 years, so what's the point?

Totenkopf 07-06-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Q (Post 2737202)
Same here. No one can replace Connery.

Thirded. Connery IS Bond. No substitutions, thanks.

JediAthos 07-06-2010 12:05 PM

I think the franchise will return eventually. If MGM continues to have financial troubles they will either get bought out or shutdown all together either of which will put Bond in someone else's hands. If not that they will eventually sell it to help pay off their debts.

LordOfTheFish 07-06-2010 12:11 PM

Not suprising really. So many companies are going bankrupt. However I think it's wrong to torture the fans and not sell the franchise.

mimartin 07-06-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ztalker (Post 2737120)
MGM won't sell the rights to the franchise I suppose, so our favorite spy is retiring early.

22 movies over 46 years, does not sound like early retirement to me.

I'm just happy the franchise became somewhat respectable again before fading away. Still want to poke my eyes out for watching A View to a Kill. Cannot believe Roger Moore played Bond in 32% of the Bond movies.

Totenkopf 07-06-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimartin (Post 2737259)
22 movies over 46 years, does not sound like early retirement to me.
I'm just happy the franchise became somewhat respectable again before fading away. Still want to poke my eyes out for watching A View to a Kill. Cannot believe Roger Moore played Bond in 32% of the Bond movies.


Yeah, I'd tend to agree. Craig was also more in the mold of Connery (who probably should've said no to Never Say Never Again, btw) and a more worthy successor than Moore for the title of 007. Didn't hate Roger, just thought he was more pretty-boy than hardass. Didn't care from Brosnan for pretty much the same reason.

mimartin 07-06-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Totenkopf (Post 2737285)
Didn't care from Brosnan for pretty much the same reason.

Of course I agree, Connery was the best, but my 2nd and 3rd choices may out my bad taste. I liked Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan. Dalton gets the nod because he was a very welcome changed from Moore who I liked at first, but I grew to loath him with each movie. I liked Brosnan since he was on Remington Steele and wanted him to replace Moore when Dalton got the job.

Totenkopf 07-06-2010 06:41 PM

Didn't really have a problem with Dalton as Bond, except that I wasn't really crazy about his enemies and Miriyam D'abo wasn't really hot for a bond chick (not saying ugly, btw). Dalton's 007 (like Craig's) was more Connery-like in overall attitude. I liked Moore in Live and Let Die, but by View to a Kill he just looked like he'd hung on to the part too long. Might have been interesting to see how Brosnan would have handled the part earlier on had it not been for his Steele contract.

Mike Windu 07-06-2010 07:29 PM

Man, Daniel Craig is the best Bond I've ever seen.

Probably because I never saw the Connery movies.

Mav 07-06-2010 08:05 PM

^^^
the **** is wrong with you?

Q 07-06-2010 08:26 PM

^ :lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Totenkopf (Post 2737316)
Miriyam D'abo wasn't really hot for a bond chick (not saying ugly, btw).

Her cousin Olivia was (and still is) much, much hotter! :naughty:

Totenkopf 07-06-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Q (Post 2737376)
^ :lol:

Her cousin Olivia was (and still is) much, much hotter! :naughty:

Indubitably. o_Q

Jeff 07-06-2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 2737366)
^^^
the **** is wrong with you?

Craig is my favorite as well, and I've seen all the movies :parrot:


I don't think this means the end for Bond at all, I just think it means a longer wait till the next one. I just hope it's not so far away that we won't get another movie with Craig, though that is seeming likely.

Lynk Former 07-06-2010 11:29 PM

I'm sure the third bond movie with Craig will definitely end up being the last bond movie with him... and most likely the third and final of the "origin story" that they've been going with with Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace...

Arannor 07-07-2010 12:01 AM

The franchise had to end sooner or later. Craig is a very good Bond but Connery will always be Bond!

Mike Windu 07-07-2010 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 2737366)
^^^
the **** is wrong with you?

I can't imagine having to sit through countless hours of Bond films... it just doesn't interest me enough. I love Casino Royale and that's about it. Quantum was a disappointment. Goldeneye was cool but not more than that. Casino Royale was what gave me some of the tricks I use today, in poker and in life.

Though I will say, they play really crappy poker in that movie.

Darth Avlectus 07-07-2010 12:47 AM

Most of the ones I saw were with Pierce Brosnan. I thought I'd seen some good stuff. Then I saw a classic or two with Connery and it became obvious that I *clearly* hadn't seen anything but the tip of the iceberg. Those modern ones were respectable and good for today. The ones that started it were the REAL prizes.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Windu (Post 2737345)
Man, Daniel Craig is the best Bond I've ever seen.

Probably because I never saw the Connery movies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 2737366)
^^^
the **** is wrong with you?

Seconded.

I doubt this will be the end either, but it may be a very long time before we see another installment.

I just hope the next super power laser it uses is Green.

Pavlos 07-07-2010 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimartin (Post 2737259)
I'm just happy the franchise became somewhat respectable again before fading away.

Quantum of Solace made no sense whatsoever. It really didn't; I still have no idea what the plot was, and even if I did I doubt there'd be much direction to it. People die, there's a party, more people die, there's a fire, someone else dies.

To quote Mark Kermode: Title, rubbish; taken from a story which this had nothing to do with. And I'm sorry, if you call something Quantum of Solace there needs to be a point at which you go 'oh, OK, that's a really clever thing to have called it' rather than [it making as much sense as] Pond of Wood, Fish of Trees.

Mav 07-07-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Windu (Post 2737433)
I can't imagine having to sit through countless hours of Bond films... it just doesn't interest me enough. I love Casino Royale and that's about it. Quantum was a disappointment. Goldeneye was cool but not more than that. Casino Royale was what gave me some of the tricks I use today, in poker and in life.

Though I will say, they play really crappy poker in that movie.

You don't have to watch countless hours of Bond films, just watch Goldfinger at the least. I'm not saying I don't like Craig, Casino Royale was quite good, Quantum was not, but that was not so much his fault. You should also check out You Only Live Twice, if only to see azn Connery.

mimartin 07-07-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavlos (Post 2737461)
Quantum of Solace made no sense whatsoever

Never saw Quantum of Solace, I was speaking towards the lines of how Bond was rescued somewhat after the gadget happy days of Roger More.

Totenkopf 07-07-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 2737681)
You don't have to watch countless hours of Bond films, just watch Goldfinger at the least. I'm not saying I don't like Craig, Casino Royale was quite good, Quantum was not, but that was not so much his fault. You should also check out You Only Live Twice, if only to see azn Connery.

Yes, and Goldfinger has one of the best villian one-liners in the whole series, as well as a few good Bond ones.

Q 07-07-2010 10:11 PM

Not to mention the first Bond MILF.

JediAthos 07-08-2010 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Totenkopf (Post 2737732)
Yes, and Goldfinger has one of the best villian one-liners in the whole series, as well as a few good Bond ones.

Bond: "You expect me to talk Goldfinger?"
GF: "No Mr. Bond I expect you to die"

Ztalker 07-08-2010 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Q (Post 2737735)
Not to mention the first Bond MILF.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediAthos (Post 2737771)
Bond: "You expect me to talk Goldfinger?"
GF: "No Mr. Bond I expect you to die"

And the 'mildly' suggestive names of the Bond Girls!!
I remember Xenia Onatop? Honey Rider was the girl on the beach right?

And yes...Moneypenny. I'll happily join MI6 if every secretary is as hot as her!

On a side note, I went out to a prom several weeks back, so I got suited up. It ended early, so me and friends moved to a normal club. The suit does draw attention from teh ladiez. RL lessons from Bond!

Pavlos 07-08-2010 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimartin (Post 2737719)
Never saw Quantum of Solace, I was speaking towards the lines of how Bond was rescued somewhat after the gadget happy days of Roger More.

I don't think anything Roger Moore did was quite as bad as Die Another Day :xp:

mstr kenobi 07-08-2010 05:44 AM

Craig's movies have very little to do with the old school 007 movies

Quantum of Solace was a lot more of Bourne movie than a Bond movie

mimartin 07-08-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavlos (Post 2737812)
I don't think anything Roger Moore did was quite as bad as Die Another Day :xp:

I don't know, A View to a Kill would give Die Another Day a good fight. Since I'm not willing to watch either of them again to judge, you win. :xp:

Ping 07-08-2010 02:44 PM

I'll admit I haven't watched too many Bond movies (I remember snippets of Goldeneye, saw Die Another Day and the classic movies up until The Man With the Golden Gun, and the two Craig movies), but I think Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace could have been much better. I mean, Q and Money Penny weren't even in the movies, for starters. Just keeping in two minor characters like that would have made it better, IMO.

Darth Avlectus 07-08-2010 05:54 PM

^^^Well, I used to not care but when I finally saw AMC channel with a Bond-a-thon over a span of 3 weekends and seeing various episodes, all that changed. Just one of those things you don't try too hard to watch, but when you finally see it it's like a magical pleasant surprise.

Mike Windu 07-09-2010 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ztalker (Post 2737810)
And the 'mildly' suggestive names of the Bond Girls!!
I remember Xenia Onatop? Honey Rider was the girl on the beach right?

And yes...Moneypenny. I'll happily join MI6 if every secretary is as hot as her!

On a side note, I went out to a prom several weeks back, so I got suited up. It ended early, so me and friends moved to a normal club. The suit does draw attention from teh ladiez. RL lessons from Bond!

Duh. Suits represent power. It's the closest thing you get to wearing a superhero costume.

Quote:

azn Connery.
This makes me rage.

Qui-Gon Glenn 07-09-2010 10:29 AM

We should all wear tuxes all the time. Guaranteed success!


A View to a Kill was god-awful, including the title track by Duran Duran. Die another Day seems like high entertainment in comparison, but I guess that's just IMO.

Roger Moore was great for humour, for sexy ladies, for campiness. There was more humor in those Bond films, despite an air of silliness that did undermine the franchise. Only at the end, for Octopussy and A View to a Kill, was it too cheesy to take. But Chris Walken is seriously funny in AVtaK.

No more new Bonds for a while? Meh.

How about anything new from Hollywood. I would welcome something fresh to work on!

Q 07-09-2010 10:38 AM

Moonraker was the ultimate Roger Moore cheesefest, disco soundtrack and all.

Qui-Gon Glenn 07-09-2010 10:46 AM

^^ Yeah, but the movie had Jaws in it. I was always happy, even satisfied, if Jaws was in the film.

I feel slightly simple right now with that admission....

Q 07-09-2010 10:55 AM

I should've mentioned that I enjoyed Moonraker. It was the good kind of cheesy, whereas AVtaK wasn't.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.