LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   The Outlander Club (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=623)
-   -   Catherine (X360/PS3) (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=205201)

Ctrl Alt Del 08-19-2010 12:27 PM

Catherine (X360/PS3)

It's public knowledge that people here seldomly care for japanese games. Add that to the fact that this game certainly has some content that is way out of the PG13 tier and you'll understand my hesitation before deciding to post this. At any rate, it's Atlus (Shin Megami Tensei series, Persona series) we're talking about here, one of the few game companies worth following nowadays; plus it seems that this game has something of fresh we're so desperate for.

Quote:

In the latest issue of the Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu, the well-known publisher/developer Atlus has revealed Catherine, a new and extremely adult-centric action adventure game for the PS3 and Xbox 360. With key members of the Persona team working on Catherine, the game could be more than a trippy adventure filled with some anime t&a.

Catherine doesnít have the typical plot one would expect from an Atlus game let alone a Japanese action adventure title. Gamers follow Vincent, a 32 year-old man whoís at a stage in his life in which he doesnít know what he wants from love. But this changes when Vincent meets Catherine, a buxom 22 year-old lady. Despite meeting Catherine and her being his type, Vincent ends up having nightmares, which surprisingly is where the core of the gameplay takes place.

Vincentís dream world is indeed an odd one based on the Famitsu screens. With a world that consists of never-ending staircases, bi-pedal goats and pure traumatic events (Vincent walking around in just his boxers), it looks like weíre going to get an experience that hasnít yet been shown before in games.

If it wasnít obvious by now, Catherine is a game thatís being made directly with a mature audience in mind. And by mature I donít mean for the type that likes dudebro games and tons of blood. With a focus on nightmares, relationships, a healthy amount of anime cleavage and an underlying mystery, Catherine kind of seems like a mix of a David Cronenberg movie and a Suda 51 game.

Catherine is currently set for a winter release in Japan for the PS3 and Xbox 360. A North American/European release wasnít discussed but is likely to happen as Atlusí previous games have been released outside of Japan.
http://www.shogungamer.com/news/atlu...adventure-game

Trailer:
View page
YouTube Video

And this site here should contain translations of some images: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...ook_catherine/

Mav 08-19-2010 08:37 PM

interesting ;)

also interesting that it is both PS3 & 360, I wonder if the eventual P5 will go that route, not that I have/would have any complaints about it.

Prime 08-20-2010 01:39 PM

Hmm. Might be worth a look if it makes it over there...

Mav 09-16-2010 08:28 PM

New trailer, may be a bit close to NSFW territory, but you should be ok XD

View page
YouTube Video

Having seen both trailers now I can say 2 things. 1.) I have no ****ing idea what is going on and 2.) I want this game...

Alkonium 09-16-2010 08:55 PM

Is there a word that means both baffling and awesome, because that's what that was. It was bafflawesome, or aweffling, bawesomffling.

Mav 09-16-2010 09:13 PM

Flabbergasted?

Ctrl Alt Del 09-16-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 2749481)
Having seen both trailers now I can say 2 things. 1.) I have no ****ing idea what is going on and 2.) I want this game...

Ditto. There's a Katherine now. I'm even more clueless.

DarthParametric 09-17-2010 12:36 AM

Nobody does weird quite like the Japanese.

Btw, the sub for the last scene (しかし,このポーズ) should translate to something like "But, this pose". Presumably something doesn't quite gel in the picture he received.

EDIT: Someone put an English subbed version up over at GameTrailers - http://www.gametrailers.com/user-mov...ylist=featured

DarthParametric 11-10-2010 07:45 AM

Couple of new vids (well the first one is a month old):

Opening cinematic - http://www.gametrailers.com/video/op...therine/706373

Breaking news cinematic - http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ja...therine/707325

DarthParametric 01-05-2011 10:04 PM

So apparently it's a platformer/puzzle game?

View page
YouTube Video

Ctrl Alt Del 01-05-2011 10:31 PM

It's an Adventure game, or so the devs claim. It seems like a collection of minigames of sorts. There's also a texting gameplay, as seen here:
View page
YouTube Video

As much as it looks bizarre, I have an almost unhealthy trust in those guys. I know some peeps who are kinda disappointed at the shown gameplay but I remain faithful. Persona always looked bizarre too and look at what they did. 'Sides, who knows, if this block-hiking thing is really the core gameplay (which it probably is once you look at the achievements list - highly "spoilerful" or so I'm told), it might be fun.

Finally, a remarkable quote from Destructoid on these leaked achievements:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Destructoid
The ones I can tell you about, though, are the bits that reveal more about how this action-puzzler will play. Achievements for using special "Jump Stones" and triggering chain explosions also abound, including helping other characters with their problems. Methinks Vincent might not be exploring just his own nightmares.

Other, quirkier achievements include outlasting all other patrons at the Stray Sheep bar, answering texts, and listening to information about the many drink mixes available at the bar. Incidentally, getting plastered at the bar does in fact make Vincent more agile in the nightmare world.

I can't wait for some folks to freak out about Catherine supposedly promoting alcoholism. Then again, given what happens to men who cheat on their girlfriends in the game, you could also say it promotes monogamy.

Source: http://www.destructoid.com/catherine...c-188702.phtml

In other news tonight, there are rumors of a Demo coming for the XBL. Let's expect it for before the scheduled japanese release date, but I ain't holding my breath.

Mav 01-06-2011 01:00 AM

Every new trailer leaves me both more confused and intrigued at the same time...

Mav 03-01-2011 06:28 PM

http://catherinethegame.com/

Boom. Summer 2011. Let the mind**** begin.

Darth Avlectus 03-01-2011 08:20 PM

Hm. A mix of horror, insects, goats, and blood in a modern type of title on top of some dude's intrigue and hunny-hunny time with his lady. Interesting. I think I'll follow.

DarthParametric 03-01-2011 10:29 PM

Two ladies. Catherine and Katherine

Mav 03-02-2011 08:43 PM

Also, you play as a dude that runs around pushing, pulling and climbing blocks in his heart-print underwear and sheep horns to escape death. What is not to love?

Liverandbacon 03-04-2011 07:17 AM

Interesting. I've never really been interested in any japanese games, but this actually has me intrigued.

Mav 03-04-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverandbacon (Post 2768843)
I've never really been interested in any japanese games

I'm sorry, a life without Mario, Link, Snake, Samus, Vic Viper et al must have sucked.

Lynk Former 03-04-2011 06:43 PM

Not to mention the fact that gaming wouldn't have gotten as far as it has without those Japanese created characters...

DarthParametric 05-03-2011 10:28 AM

The special edition takes a slightly different tack than most with its included extras:

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...amshot_360.jpg

Boxer shorts, t-shirt, Catherine (in lingerie of course) pillow case, all packed in a pizza box.

Ctrl Alt Del 05-03-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthParametric (Post 2776963)
The special edition takes a slightly different tack than most with its included extras:

Which are awesome.

I mean, I'm not sure I'd be showing the boxers or the pillow around, but the shirt is well-worth it.

Taak Farst 05-03-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 2768885)
I'm sorry, a life without Mario, Link, Snake, Samus, Vic Viper et al must have sucked.

I haven't even HEARD of any of them except for Mario. I HAVE played the original mario games, if that helps.

Blix 05-03-2011 04:43 PM

I've heard of this game, the character designs remind me a lot of Persona. I think it looks pretty awesome to be honest.

Lynk Former 05-03-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taak Farst (Post 2776968)
I haven't even HEARD of any of them except for Mario.

o.o

Rogue Nine 05-03-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynk Former (Post 2777014)
o.o

He also doesn't think we landed on the moon yet, so go figure. :p

Taak Farst 05-03-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Nine (Post 2777027)
He also doesn't think we landed on the moon yet, so go figure. :p

Am I gonna be flamed throughout the forums for this? I believe we have been to the moon. I just believe the original moon landing was a hoax.

Mav 05-03-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del (Post 2776964)
Which are awesome.

I mean, I'm not sure I'd be showing the boxers or the pillow around, but the shirt is well-worth it.

I'm so conflicted over this thing XD, the balance between awesome and shame is constantly shifting, haha.

Quote:

I haven't even HEARD of any of them except for Mario. I HAVE played the original mario games, if that helps.

O_o .oO(wut?) But seriously even if you've never played the games I'd figure that at the least everyone with a remote interest in video games would know who Link is and to a lesser extent Snake. Though to be fair I suppose that most 'uneducated' gamers usually start off thinking Link is actually 'Zelda'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blix (Post 2777011)
I've heard of this game, the character designs remind me a lot of Persona. I think it looks pretty awesome to be honest.

That's because the Persona team developed this game. :p Which is awesome.

Liverandbacon 05-03-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 2768885)

Nah, my life's actually been pretty awesome so far, possibly because gaming's never been my main form of recreation, just a very enjoyable secondary one. Thanks for the concern though. (I'll admit my post was a bit of a lie though. I have been interested in Snake and Samus' games, just never enough to actually buy and play them. Partly because I've done very little console gaming.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynk Former (Post 2768886)
Not to mention the fact that gaming wouldn't have gotten as far as it has without those Japanese created characters...

Just because I don't have much interest in playing them doesn't mean I don't appreciate what they've done for the medium.

However:
Quote:

I don't even understand how this is possible.

Edit: Didn't realize I'd opened this window an hour ago, a lot of posts since I initially looked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taak Farst (Post 2777035)
Am I gonna be flamed throughout the forums for this? I believe we have been to the moon. I just believe the original moon landing was a hoax.

Realistically, yes, you will. I'd say it's not as much flaming as it is friendly(ish) mockery. Hey, at least you know what you're best known for around here. You're the Moon Landing Hoax Guy. I still think it's an absurd opinion, for many reasons, but it's harmless, so I personally don't mind it much.

Primogen 05-03-2011 09:33 PM

Flamed? Son, I've flamed people professionally, you haven't tasted the flames yet. This is just friendly ribbing.

GeneralPloKoon 05-03-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

What?! You must have? The heroes of The Legend of Zelda, Metal Gear Solid, Metroid, and Gradius?

I mean Zelda is one of the greatest game series...ever.

Ctrl Alt Del 05-03-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 2777037)
I'm so conflicted over this thing XD, the balance between awesome and shame is constantly shifting, haha.

Wouldn't be the nerdiest thing I've ever dressed (although, I admit, I have an acute sense of personal fashion which usually don't include game themes) and besides the average joe will think of it as just another humor-attempt t-shirt.

Quote:

Though to be fair I suppose that most 'uneducated' gamers usually start off thinking Link is actually 'Zelda'.
Me, ten years ago. :lol:

PS: have you no shame, Taak? :xp:

Rogue Nine 05-04-2011 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del (Post 2777077)
PS: have you no shame, Taak? :xp:

He also doesn't have a clue. :xp:

Mav 05-04-2011 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralPloKoon (Post 2777075)
What?! You must have? The heroes of The Legend of Zelda, Metal Gear Solid, Metroid, and Gradius?

I mean Zelda is one of the greatest game series...ever.

**** You. I have an overwhelming desire to play Gradius now. :xp:

Edit: YES!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del (Post 2777077)
Wouldn't be the nerdiest thing I've ever dressed (although, I admit, I have an acute sense of personal fashion which usually don't include game themes) and besides the average joe will think of it as just another humor-attempt t-shirt.

I was mostly referring to the pillowcase... I can't even imagine the looks/questions I would get from my friends if they came over and saw that thing chilling on my bed.

Taak Farst 05-04-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Nine (Post 2777080)
He also doesn't have a clue. :xp:

Cheers :P

No..never played those games mentioned..

Mav 05-11-2011 09:45 PM

So.... I caved guys. XD

DarthParametric 05-11-2011 10:05 PM

You got the pillowcase?

Lynk Former 05-11-2011 10:08 PM

Mav's pillowcase will be all soft and have that new pillowcase smell, but in about a week it's gonna be all cracked and hard...

Mav 05-12-2011 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthParametric (Post 2778170)
You got the pillowcase?

I pre-ordered the pizza box edition, yeah XD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynk Former (Post 2778172)
Mav's pillowcase will be all soft and have that new pillowcase smell, but in about a week it's gonna be all cracked and hard...

Actually I'm planning on selling the pillowcase to darky, you think he'll buy Lynk?

Lynk Former 05-12-2011 04:43 AM

He'll buy it for a high price.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/merchant.jpg

DarthParametric 05-12-2011 07:40 AM

I'm surprised you can't print your own love pillows via Cafe Press and the like. Surely that's a rich untapped market.