LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Ahto Spaceport Cantina (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=325)
-   -   Lucas: Live action series would cost "Fifty million an episode" (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=205474)

Astor 09-22-2010 09:32 AM

Lucas: Live action series would cost "Fifty million an episode"

View page
YouTube Video

:eek:

Q 09-22-2010 11:04 AM

Here's an idea, George: Why not concentrate on things like intelligent dialog, character development and actual, as in not phoned-in, directing more than glitzy, yet still fake-looking, special effects and maybe, just maybe, it wouldn't have to cost $50 million an episode.

What a concept! :dozey:

Ctrl Alt Del 09-22-2010 11:07 AM

An obvious hyperbole... right?

I don't quite buy what he's claiming but whatever. I still wanna see that series come to light someday - not if it's anything like the Clone Wars, mind you (yep, another CW bashing).

Tommycat 09-22-2010 11:11 AM

50 million? Firefly cost around 10 for the pilot. Glalactica cost around 17 per episode. What the heck are they spending the cash on? They hiring Will Smith to play a young Mace Windu?

Prime 09-22-2010 04:20 PM

Are you seriously asking what a big pile of money would be spent on for a Star Wars show?

Lynk Former 09-22-2010 04:26 PM

I don't know why... but I'm reminded of this...

View page
YouTube Video

Mav 09-22-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prime (Post 2749979)
Are you seriously asking what a big pile of money would be spent on for a Star Wars show?

With the times as they are now, I would think most of that money goes to the cost of fuel for the TIE's and the Falcon. I heard the Falcon only gets 25-lightyears to the giga-gallon.

Revan 411 09-22-2010 10:02 PM

I can't see Lucas and Co. spending $50 Million Dollars on each episode of the live action series. Seriously, to me, that's like asking to be broke. Especially since they're planning on broadcasting 400 episodes.

Shem 09-22-2010 11:43 PM

Well, that explains why it's taking so long to do this.

adamqd 09-23-2010 06:20 AM

I wish he would just retire, its gonna be retcon followed by poor dialog followed by retcon followed by terrible sidekick character... and retcon.

I hope its good, but at the minute, the only Star Wars I enjoy is old or is being written by someone else.

Ztalker 09-23-2010 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Q (Post 2749944)
Here's an idea, George: Why not concentrate on things like intelligent dialog, character development and actual, as in not phoned-in, directing more than glitzy, yet still fake-looking, special effects and maybe, just maybe, it wouldn't have to cost $50 million an episode.

What a concept! :dozey:

Yeah. They could do a 'Stargate' and have the story center around people. Having a Jedi walk through a forest near the studio's is considerably cheaper then rendering the forest in 3d....

Alexrd 09-23-2010 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del (Post 2749946)

Exactly my thoughts.

Rtas Vadum 09-23-2010 07:45 AM

Maybe a better option would be having some new material from another era, and not bleeding that TPM-ROTJ one for everything it has. Namely because it seems set in what happens(along with the fans seeing a majority of it), so why add anything new to it?

Though that might just be how Lucas works. Anything other than the movie period has to hope to slip through, and anything in the movie period? Its given a cliched story, characters we've seen before, and a dozen retcons making one think it just can't be decided on exactly how Anakin fell to the dark-side.

I'd love to watch, but that movie Era is getting old to me.

Ed Nigma 09-23-2010 08:37 AM

Lucas has stated that, in producing the show, "we will do what would typically cost $20 million, for $1 million."

According to IESB, McCallum has said that each episode will have a budget of 2-4 million dollars.

That's a long way to go...

Prime 09-23-2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamqd (Post 2750035)
I hope its good, but at the minute, the only Star Wars I enjoy is old or is being written by someone else.

My understanding is that this show wouldn't be written by Lucas.

Quote:

Maybe a better option would be having some new material from another era, and not bleeding that TPM-ROTJ one for everything it has.

It isn't the TPM-ROTJ, its the Dark Times era which has very little material in it currently.

Quote:

Having a Jedi walk through a forest near the studio's is considerably cheaper then rendering the forest in 3d....

According to reports, there are no jedi (or at least main characters) in the show. It would focus on a group of more fringe-like characters.

But by all means, everyone continue to nerd rage like it was 2003! :p :D

adamqd 09-23-2010 09:09 AM

HEY! I'm only the first quote bud... lol

VarsityPuppet 09-23-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prime (Post 2750044)
It isn't the TPM-ROTJ, its the Dark Times era which has very little material in it currently.

Doesn't that count as TPM through ROTJ :)

Quote:

According to reports, there are no jedi (or at least main characters) in the show. It would focus on a group of more fringe-like characters.
We'll see how long that one lasts

You know, I kind of wish that movies in general used a bit more puppets and actual physical effects instead of just CGIing everything. Unless he's making an army of puppets or something, I don't see how 50 million would go into each episode: CGI is supposed to be the cheaper way, isn't it?

Miltiades 09-23-2010 12:39 PM

Less Jedi, no grand war and more focused on character development... how can this possibly cost that much per episode? When people with little to no budget can be creative for videos for YouTube, surely Lucas can do better with a few millions an episode.

Lynk Former 09-23-2010 01:09 PM

From some very old information about this live-action TV series, I thought there wasn't going to be any Jedi since it's set between 3 and 4 and they've been wiped out or are in hiding. It was going to be focused on the beginnings of the rebellion against the empire and all that.

RC-1162 09-23-2010 01:41 PM

I thought TFU already did that?

Seikan 09-23-2010 01:52 PM

Well then it will be retconned xD

Lynk Former 09-23-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC-1162 (Post 2750058)
I thought TFU already did that?

Well, from what I remember it was said that Darth Vader and the emperor and all that would only be mentioned infrequently and that the whole plot try to avoid the whole Jedi/Sith theme entirely since that's the main focus of the movies aside from the whole father/son deal.

Miltiades 09-23-2010 03:54 PM

Yes, I think I remember Lucas mentioning that at the most, major characters like Obi-Wan Kenobi would get a cameo appearance. With the exception of Boba Fett. Though I'm not sure it's been said that they were going to avoid the Jedi completely, a season with a Jedi in hiding as the overarching plot, for example, could work. But the focus would indeed be on civilians, soldiers and the scum of the galaxy.

Q 09-23-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del (Post 2749946)

Yeah, I didn't buy it, either. I suspect that it's probably just LucasSpeakô for "We'll most likely end up not making it."

Given the truly craptastic film-making that Lucasfilm has produced over the past 11 years, I can't say that I'd care either way. :indif:

GeneralPloKoon 09-23-2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seikan (Post 2750059)
Well then it will be retconned xD

TFU retconned? That doesn't sound too bad actually.

Tommycat 09-23-2010 10:38 PM

Wait... so the series is going to be more like Star Wars:Galaxies the series?

And how is it going to cost more than 10 mil an episode?

adamqd 09-24-2010 04:17 AM

SWG lol? probably 10 pence an episode, and 100 million Jedi in it :D

Pavlos 09-24-2010 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 2750013)
With the times as they are now, I would think most of that money goes to the cost of fuel for the TIE's and the Falcon. I heard the Falcon only gets 25-lightyears to the giga-gallon.

You Americans and your complaints; just because petrol is no longer cheaper than bottled water. Try living in Europe. One litre of petrol costs about 110p in the UK. :xp:

Q 09-24-2010 06:02 AM

But you don't have half as far to drive.

Pho3nix 09-24-2010 09:38 AM

Oh you, George

Tommycat 09-24-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamqd (Post 2750100)
SWG lol? probably 10 pence an episode, and 100 million Jedi in it :D

I was talking about SWG pre-CU. Everyone knows that the NGE ruined SWG.

Prime 09-24-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamqd (Post 2750045)
HEY! I'm only the first quote bud... lol

Argh, sorry dude!

Quote:

Originally Posted by VarsityPuppet
Doesn't that count as TPM through ROTJ

Argh again! I read that as RotS. In any event, it is still in a 20 year era that is largely untouched.

Shem 09-25-2010 02:52 AM

Prime, you seem to be trying so hard for people to see the light of what it is suppose to be. :D

Q 09-25-2010 02:57 AM

In his heart, Prime knows the truth.

Qui-Gon Glenn 09-26-2010 12:56 PM

As someone who works in the business, knows the difference between a high and low-production value show, and also the difference in degrees between an indie film and a big-budget monster. I have worked on TV and in movies.

Lucas needs to lay off that :devsmoke: He is making that number up to impress and horrify us... it is indeed grand hyperbole, IMO, as Ctrl Alt Del surmised.

Ztalker 09-26-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Glenn (Post 2750266)
As someone who works in the business, knows the difference between a high and low-production value show, and also the difference in degrees between an indie film and a big-budget monster. I have worked on TV and in movies.

Lucas needs to lay off that :devsmoke: He is making that number up to impress and horrify us... it is indeed grand hyperbole, IMO, as Ctrl Alt Del surmised.

Nice to see some expert opinion here :)

How much do you recon an episode would cost? With decent special effects?

Qui-Gon Glenn 09-26-2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ztalker (Post 2750291)
Nice to see some expert opinion here :)

How much do you recon an episode would cost? With decent special effects?

The shows I have worked on have not been huge budget productions, although The Walking Dead will have lots of FX. Regardless, nothing is cheap to produce... there are hundreds and hundreds of people working on the production most of the time, and they are not making peanuts, although PA's with family's are barely making a living out here. That's why that job is mostly done by young-uns :)

I think Tommycats figures for Firefly and Gallactica are good numbers. How would tripling the budget of Gallactica be practical? Casting is expensive... but I don't think Anthony Hopkins or Morgan Freeman, Russell Crowe or Tom Cruise are going to be lining up for these parts. Neither would Katherine Heigel or Ashley Judd or Uma Thurman... so paying them could push your budget there, but I am not sure how it serves the story. Better to pay less for lesser known actors that we can be immersed in their character playing without the distraction of knowing them already as so-and-so in such-and-such.

For special effects, G Lucas and Co can make effects cheaper and better than anyone else in their own opinion, which makes the number all the more ridiculous.

$25 million per episode would be a wet dream to any Production Group and UPM. I would think that everyone would get ridiculous rates, that Craft Services would have caviar and jumbo lump crab with Dom Perignon to wash it down, and nothing would ever get done.

N-5/Prudii 09-26-2010 06:58 PM

I could just imagine Sylvester Stallone as some bounty hunter... :xp:

Qui-Gon Glenn 09-26-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N-5/Prudii (Post 2750313)

'Twould be awesome! Might as well go and get Brigitte Nielsen to play Ventress...

Alexrd 09-27-2010 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N-5/Prudii (Post 2750313)

Didn't he went to the casting for Han Solo back in '77?