LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Community Discussion (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=637)
-   -   Who on this forum likes to salvage? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206382)

Gerevick 01-05-2011 06:08 AM

Who on this forum likes to salvage?
 
I make outdoor trips to find what is useful to me. Sometimes I find things, others not. One such example was a pair of three shelves another discarded in the street. They provided me with a new space to put my books, a reason why I like to salvage. To find what is handy through one´s own effort is most rewarding.

urluckyday 01-05-2011 04:15 PM

Are you roleplaying or are you being for real right now lol?

N-5/Prudii 01-06-2011 10:49 PM

I like going to bombed-out Jedi temples to get my stuff.

Darth Avlectus 01-06-2011 11:07 PM

Sounds like you're describing scrounging, or at least that's what electronics hobbyists call it. Here's an example:
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/gadget.htm

I have acquired a ton of good stuff over the years. I found some busted stereos and got an isolation transformer out of each. High quality too--nothing beats quality for F.R.E.E. as opposed to paying an arse load of it new and letting useable stuff go to landfill.

Gerevick 01-07-2011 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urluckyday (Post 2762863)
Are you roleplaying or are you being for real right now lol?

I exist in this world only when my host allows me to. He leads his own life when he does not log on to the Internet or interacts with his community. family and friends. But when he takes walks alone, logs on to the Internet, or goes jogging, I take control of his body with his full consent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity (Post 2763062)
Sounds like you're describing scrounging, or at least that's what electronics hobbyists call it. Here's an example:
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/gadget.htm

I have acquired a ton of good stuff over the years. I found some busted stereos and got an isolation transformer out of each. High quality too--nothing beats quality for F.R.E.E. as opposed to paying an arse load of it new and letting useable stuff go to landfill.

Ah... this reply is most welcomed. I would like to do the same as you, but am currently faced with a society that wishes to hold onto their possessions as best they can. To date, I have not come accross any discarded electronic goods as you. I pray one day I will.

urluckyday 01-07-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerevick (Post 2763098)
I exist in this world only when my host allows me to. He leads his own life when he does not log on to the Internet or interacts with his community. family and friends. But when he takes walks alone, logs on to the Internet, or goes jogging, I take control of his body with his full consent.

Sooooo...you're possessed by Satan?

Blix 01-07-2011 08:52 PM

My friend's dad and I would frequent airport dumpsters for computer parts and keyboards, etc. :D

Darth Avlectus 01-07-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerevick (Post 2763098)
Ah... this reply is most welcomed. I would like to do the same as you, but am currently faced with a society that wishes to hold onto their possessions as best they can. To date, I have not come accross any discarded electronic goods as you. I pray one day I will.

Appliances break down all the time. Tons of people don't want to pay to dispose of stuff.

Believe me, go by apartment buildings, office buildings, that sort of thing. The local dump probably sells a ton of stuff, or gives it away.

Shops get rid of things, Stages, places like that. Schools toss stuff out. The art of this is improvisation. What you are doing is scrounging.

It's treasure, you never know what you'll find.

On a final note:
Photo kiosks sell cameras, strobes and optics.
Hospitals get rid of stuff. These articles are for getting lasers, but you could apply it to getting general equipment from a hospital too. Talk to an engineer and not a resource management guy (the latter want money). Check the "how to get a laser without really trying" sections. http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserlps.htm#lpstoc

I must give a disclaimer: if you actually take an interest in dinking around with equipment you need to observe and follow safety guidelines at ALL TIMES.http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/safety.htm

In other words I take no responsibility if you choose to act upon this stuff.
I am not responsible for whatever you may wish do with, for example, the insides of a microwave transformer or CRT television. Please use extreme care and do not attempt anything without proper equipment, and if need be supervision and guidance from a qualified professional. You should have at least a basic education in what you are doing before attempting anything--even if you are being safe you will undoubtedly ruin whatever you're tinkering with if you don't know how it works.

For example, I wish I had taken the time to understand the microcomputer for the cooling system of a particular solid state laser I had picked up (for free--discarded and needed cleaning). But noooooo, I had to get curious and use the thing. I destroyed the flashlamp with overheat. That ended with a LOOOOUUUD explosion and lots of disappointment along with a few days to recuperate my hearing. While the rest of the unit was fine, the flashlamp costs $3800 USD new. Since I don't have that kind of money...I had to sell the unit because I wasn't gonna do jack squat with it. :(

In general my points are if you don't know what you're doing with it, you probably should not be messing around with it because it'll get you injured or killed. OR at least it will cause destruction of sorts. Safety first. Common sense.

Sabretooth 01-08-2011 01:38 AM

I used to scavenge for anything that was dropped or left behind after class everyday. Surprising how much kids leave behind. I don't think I ever had to buy a new pen in the last few years of school.

Darth Avlectus 01-08-2011 10:29 PM

^^^I got some broken A/V equipment to go out and break. :p

Gerevick 01-10-2011 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity (Post 2763225)
Appliances break down all the time. Tons of people don't want to pay to dispose of stuff.

Believe me, go by apartment buildings, office buildings, that sort of thing. The local dump probably sells a ton of stuff, or gives it away.

Shops get rid of things, Stages, places like that. Schools toss stuff out. The art of this is improvisation. What you are doing is scrounging.

It's treasure, you never know what you'll find.

On a final note:
Photo kiosks sell cameras, strobes and optics.
Hospitals get rid of stuff. These articles are for getting lasers, but you could apply it to getting general equipment from a hospital too. Talk to an engineer and not a resource management guy (the latter want money). Check the "how to get a laser without really trying" sections. http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserlps.htm#lpstoc

I must give a disclaimer: if you actually take an interest in dinking around with equipment you need to observe and follow safety guidelines at ALL TIMES.http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/safety.htm

In other words I take no responsibility if you choose to act upon this stuff.
I am not responsible for whatever you may wish do with, for example, the insides of a microwave transformer or CRT television. Please use extreme care and do not attempt anything without proper equipment, and if need be supervision and guidance from a qualified professional. You should have at least a basic education in what you are doing before attempting anything--even if you are being safe you will undoubtedly ruin whatever you're tinkering with if you don't know how it works.

For example, I wish I had taken the time to understand the microcomputer for the cooling system of a particular solid state laser I had picked up (for free--discarded and needed cleaning). But noooooo, I had to get curious and use the thing. I destroyed the flashlamp with overheat. That ended with a LOOOOUUUD explosion and lots of disappointment along with a few days to recuperate my hearing. While the rest of the unit was fine, the flashlamp costs $3800 USD new. Since I don't have that kind of money...I had to sell the unit because I wasn't gonna do jack squat with it. :(

In general my points are if you don't know what you're doing with it, you probably should not be messing around with it because it'll get you injured or killed. OR at least it will cause destruction of sorts. Safety first. Common sense.

I will certainly consider these options. You have done well.

urluckyday 01-18-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerevick (Post 2763607)
You have done well.

Thank you.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.