LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Taris Upper City Emporium (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=645)
-   -   [KOTOR] Visual Enhancement 2012 (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=207074)

Xarwarz 04-07-2011 06:01 PM

Visual Enhancement 2012
 
ON A MODDING BREAK TILL NEXT YEAR



Announcing the new texture mod for KOTOR 1 and the end of my modding for these planets and tsl planets.

THESE TEXTURES ARE IN TGA FORMAT------just extract rar file remove textures from folder add textures directly to override folder.

PLC--[COLOR="DarkOrange"]THIS DOWNLOAD HAS THE NECESSARY FILES TO ENABLE THE SHINE ON ALL LEVELS

---------------------------
ALTERNATE LINK
---------------------------
http://www.moddb.com/members/xarwarrz/addons
------------------------------------------------------------

VIDEOS
http://www.youtube.com/user/XediiXarwarz?feature=mhum

LINKS ARE UNDER PICS

PLANETS

TARIS


UNKNOWN


MAANAN



KORRIBAN



KYSHAAK



TATTOOINE



DANTOOINE



STAR FORGE





-----------

SHIPS

ENDAR SPIRE




EBON HAWK KOTOR

Show spoiler


------------------

BEFORE AND AFTER PICS





-------------------

VOTE FOR MORE THAN ONE PLANET OR SHIP

-------------------

THANKS TO FRED TETRA FOR THE K-TOOL

THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE SUPPORTED ME FROM DAY ONE

SITH LORD 872 04-08-2011 03:48 PM

Looks awesome!!!

Xarwarz 04-08-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SITH LORD 872 (Post 2772976)
Looks awesome!!!

Thanks glad you like it

SITH LORD 872 04-08-2011 05:35 PM

I really like Taris in KOTOR 1, Too bad it got blown up!!

Nvenom 04-09-2011 08:02 AM

This is Just an amazing reskin you really know what you are doing, Great Job

Xarwarz 04-09-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SITH LORD 872 (Post 2772994)
I really like Taris in KOTOR 1, Too bad it got blown up!!

Yea its nice city

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvenom (Post 2773102)
This is Just an amazing reskin you really know what you are doing, Great Job

Well i think i balanced the look out right this time so now kotor finally feels complete

Liverandbacon 04-09-2011 01:38 PM

To be 100% honest, I didn't really like previous KOTOR VEs. Aside from art style differences (which are completely subjective, so everyone will have a different opinion), a lot of the textures seemed to clash, not align well, etc. I opened this thread assuming I would see more of the same, and remain totally disinterested.

I was wrong.

From the shots you've posted, it looks to me like my technical complaints are mostly, if not entirely, gone. The textures tend to 'fit' together, and look well aligned. While I'm still not a fan of the art style of some of the textures (some seem cartoonish, others straight out of TRON, which while cool doesn't feel Star Wars-ish to me), that's very much a matter of personal taste, not an actual problem with the mod.

In fact, for the first time, I actually really like lot of the retextures you've done, and because one can pick and mix which of your textures to use, I can use them without using the ones I don't want to. Great job, I'm glad I looked at this thread.

edit: upon looking at some of the videos you've posted, I'm liking this even more. Quite a few things that looked 'off' in screenshots actually look good when the game's running. I especially like Kashyyk and Tatooine.

Xarwarz 04-09-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverandbacon (Post 2773126)
To be 100% honest, I didn't really like previous KOTOR VEs. Aside from art style differences (which are completely subjective, so everyone will have a different opinion), a lot of the textures seemed to clash, not align well, etc. I opened this thread assuming I would see more of the same, and remain totally disinterested.

I was wrong.

From the shots you've posted, it looks to me like my technical complaints are mostly, if not entirely, gone. The textures tend to 'fit' together, and look well aligned. While I'm still not a fan of the art style of some of the textures (some seem cartoonish, others straight out of TRON, which while cool doesn't feel Star Wars-ish to me), that's very much a matter of personal taste, not an actual problem with the mod.

In fact, for the first time, I actually really like lot of the retextures you've done, and because one can pick and mix which of your textures to use, I can use them without using the ones I don't want to. Great job, I'm glad I looked at this thread.

Thanks ill agree my past kotor attempts have been ambitious and not well thought out. But with experience and listening to some feed back i think i nailed it pretty close this time. It is a matter of a persons view but i tried to balance the line between to cluttered and to plain so hopefully it will be good enough.

Nvenom 04-09-2011 04:52 PM

Any Clue why the PLC Would not make the Levels Shine, My Zones are about as Matte as they could be, I just dumped the PLC contents into my override folder with no conflicts of any kind

Xarwarz 04-09-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvenom (Post 2773156)
Any Clue why the PLC Would not make the Levels Shine, My Zones are about as Matte as they could be, I just dumped the PLC contents into my override folder with no conflicts of any kind

Did you dump them into the override folder without the folder itself the textures have to be in the override directly not textures in the folder.

Nvenom 04-10-2011 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xarwarz (Post 2773164)
Did you dump them into the override folder without the folder itself the textures have to be in the override directly not textures in the folder.

Yea there all applied correctly it just dosent seem like the txi files are taking effect on my computer for some reason

Edit: Found issue, unfortunatly i wont ever have that epic shine, issue was that i dont have T&L on my old computer so no epic lighting effects = (

Xarwarz 04-12-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvenom (Post 2773202)
Yea there all applied correctly it just dosent seem like the txi files are taking effect on my computer for some reason

Edit: Found issue, unfortunatly i wont ever have that epic shine, issue was that i dont have T&L on my old computer so no epic lighting effects = (

Ah ok no T&L on your computer sorry that sucks

Zerimar Nyliram 04-13-2011 02:40 PM

Amazing work! I really love everything you've done, and I will probably download these soon.

I do have a few objections, however: Dantooine is green. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful and all, but I really like how we see a seasonal change between the first and second games, with the first probably being set in the fall since the grass is brown, and the second in the spring. Maybe when you do TSL you can reverse it, making the grass brown for the second game or something.

We see Jupiter out the window of the Star Forge. As I'm sure you know, the story it set in a galaxy far, far away. Rakata Prime/Lehon (the "Unknown World") is the planet that should be seen. See this page for photographic references if you need them; or a Google search for "Rakata Prime" brings up some fairly decent images as well.

Other than that, amazing work!

Christos K 04-13-2011 08:01 PM

I don't think he plans on doing this sort of mod again for KotOR2 even though I would love it.
The only two small problems I have is that the computer terminals are all half invisible with like a white outline. Is it supposed to be like that. And I don't really like the blue doors on Taris. They seem a bit out of place. Everything else is incredible.

Xarwarz 04-14-2011 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerimar Nyliram (Post 2773850)
Amazing work! I really love everything you've done, and I will probably download these soon.

I do have a few objections, however: Dantooine is green. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful and all, but I really like how we see a seasonal change between the first and second games, with the first probably being set in the fall since the grass is brown, and the second in the spring. Maybe when you do TSL you can reverse it, making the grass brown for the second game or something.

We see Jupiter out the window of the Star Forge. As I'm sure you know, the story it set in a galaxy far, far away. Rakata Prime/Lehon (the "Unknown World") is the planet that should be seen. See this page for photographic references if you need them; or a Google search for "Rakata Prime" brings up some fairly decent images as well.

Other than that, amazing work!

Well first thanks for the comment..The dantooine things are sorta reversed in my TSL 2011 mod there are leaves on the grass of the planet. The star forge was i found out i could change the planet and i ended up thinking jupiter is an unknown planet as far as what lies below the clouds. But if i can get a good shot of a planet that look like the unknown world i could change it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christos K (Post 2773904)
I don't think he plans on doing this sort of mod again for KotOR2 even though I would love it.
The only two small problems I have is that the computer terminals are all half invisible with like a white outline. Is it supposed to be like that. And I don't really like the blue doors on Taris. They seem a bit out of place. Everything else is incredible.

The terminals where purposely done that way i wanted a new effect for it. The blue glowing doors i guess you could say trying a new look in the sith bases. Thanks for the comment

Christos K 04-14-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xarwarz (Post 2772805)
TARIS
Show spoiler


I meant these blue doors. The sith base doors are fine, I like those. But These big doors seem out of place. Personally I think the blue color you used on other parts of this Taris screen shot looks great.

Taak Farst 04-14-2011 07:53 PM

omg this is amazing! people can disagree and hate on me if they wish but i see this texturing and restyling on par with DA2's texture graphics..

Dak Drexl 04-14-2011 11:03 PM

Heya Xar, I didn't even know you were working on this, but man am I glad you were! This just looks awesome and I can't wait to use it.

I can understand why some people don't like the "clean" style that you have, but I've always been a fan and this is the best yet IMO. Great work!

TimBob12 04-15-2011 04:53 AM

Wow, I LOVE manaan and Dantooine. Downloading Now :)

Xarwarz 04-15-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christos K (Post 2774152)
I meant these blue doors. The sith base doors are fine, I like those. But These big doors seem out of place. Personally I think the blue color you used on other parts of this Taris screen shot looks great.

Ah i see what you mean perhaps they should be the color of the other blues i could change that easily and up load the new one

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taak Farst (Post 2774163)
omg this is amazing! people can disagree and hate on me if they wish but i see this texturing and restyling on par with DA2's texture graphics..

Thanks i took a little pride in this one to make it look the great as it could. I personally think this mod looks better than tsl 2011

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dak Drexl (Post 2774191)
Heya Xar, I didn't even know you were working on this, but man am I glad you were! This just looks awesome and I can't wait to use it.

Yea this was a stealth mod i just did it and released it i didnt think it needed a wip thanks for trying it.

I can understand why some people don't like the "clean" style that you have, but I've always been a fan and this is the best yet IMO. Great work!

Yea its been a battle it either is to cluttered or to clean. The fact that the textures arent flat like the original textures makes it appear to different to some. Ill agree this is the best one i have done so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBob12 (Post 2774262)
Wow, I LOVE manaan and Dantooine. Downloading Now :)

Thanks i realized that for dantooine it needed to look more realistic than how ive done in the past. Maanan i took some inspiration from the mass effect citadel its more of a calm chilled planet the textures reflect that.

Dak Drexl 04-16-2011 01:48 AM

Yeah, after viewing your videos Dantooine is my favorite.

ray007 04-22-2011 07:05 AM

This mod makes the game much more visually stunning. The vibrant colors/textures shaves years off the look of the game. That said, I do feel there are some areas that could be improved upon - such as:
  • Invisible Panels: I honestly thought something was wrong with my install or the mod. Only after coming to this forum did I realize the look was intentional. As much as I appreciate the intended desired effect, I didn't feel the invisible panels 'worked'.
  • Contrasting Colors: In some places contrasting colors works real well, but in others not so much. It is a delicate balance, and in most places the mod gets it perfectly, but there are a few places that IMO need improvement.
  • Textures Lacking Detail: Some objects seemed to lack detail. The locker in the 'home base apartment' in Taris for example lacks depth/detail.

These are just a few things, but in my opinion should be considered for improvement.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents on this incredible mod.
Well done!

Revan123 04-22-2011 10:01 AM

ray 007:
Quote:

Invisible Panels: I honestly thought something was wrong with my install or the mod. Only after coming to this forum did I realize the look was intentional. As much as I appreciate the intended desired effect, I didn't feel the invisible panels 'worked'.
What? In my opinion the "invisible-factor" makes the panels much more immersive - and also the illuminated- containers -
these are the small things which makes this overhaul so great.

Xar, just an idea for the future: would it be possible to retexture some of the weapons and especially the droids - to look more hi-tech ( like illuminated eyes etc.) ?

ray007 04-22-2011 10:54 AM

Revan123 - I respectfully disagree. I understand the desired look in wanting the invisible panels (Kind of a Mass Effect/Tron Look), but in all honesty - there is something about it that doesn't quite work, so much so that I thought I had messed up the install or something. The same goes for the Footlocker container in the home apartment in Taris - it also doesn't quite fit/look right.

As I mentioned earlier, ultimately everyone has different tastes. Where I and some others find blue doors in Taris out of place, some will think it looks just perfect.
:)

Christos K 04-22-2011 05:06 PM

I agree with Ray007 to some extent. But these are very few things, the mod as a whole is stunning.

Revan123 04-23-2011 07:19 AM

ray007: youre right with the Taris-blue doors. They look a bit misplaced.
but what do you mean that "something is misplaced" about the panels-look?
I honestly think alongside the containers they are probably the greatest feature of this overhaul, cause they take just years away from this game...

Christos K 04-23-2011 02:28 PM

I like the computer panels but do they fit in with Star Wars?

Xarwarz 04-23-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray007 (Post 2775243)
This mod makes the game much more visually stunning. The vibrant colors/textures shaves years off the look of the game. That said, I do feel there are some areas that could be improved upon - such as:
  • Invisible Panels: I honestly thought something was wrong with my install or the mod. Only after coming to this forum did I realize the look was intentional. As much as I appreciate the intended desired effect, I didn't feel the invisible panels 'worked'.
  • Contrasting Colors: In some places contrasting colors works real well, but in others not so much. It is a delicate balance, and in most places the mod gets it perfectly, but there are a few places that IMO need improvement.
  • Textures Lacking Detail: Some objects seemed to lack detail. The locker in the 'home base apartment' in Taris for example lacks depth/detail.

These are just a few things, but in my opinion should be considered for improvement.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents on this incredible mod.
Well done!

Invisible panels: well i wanted to try something different this is a staple in todays games the problem i think is i cant make static distortions to make it not seem so stiff.

Contrast colors: well the enemy for my mods has always been shared/reused textures i have to pic my poison and minimize the mix match look the best i can

Texture lacking detail: I can always update textures for improvement for this mod so ill check it out

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revan123 (Post 2775261)
ray 007:

What? In my opinion the "invisible-factor" makes the panels much more immersive - and also the illuminated- containers -
these are the small things which makes this overhaul so great.

Xar, just an idea for the future: would it be possible to retexture some of the weapons and especially the droids - to look more hi-tech ( like illuminated eyes etc.) ?

Well im working on the droids its just a very tedious redrawing the skins for them there alot of little detail in some of them.

Weapons i have always dreaded these skins are to small for me to redraw. Thats something that would have to be done from scratch

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christos K (Post 2775412)
I like the computer panels but do they fit in with Star Wars?

In regards to if they fit in star wars it depends on the person. But star wars is an old idea had the movie been made today im sure there be something illuminated in the movie

Thanks for the feed back everyone.

Rtas Vadum 04-23-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xarwarz (Post 2775421)
Invisible panels: well i wanted to try something different this is a staple in todays games the problem i think is i cant make static distortions to make it not seem so stiff.

You could do that by animating the textures(i.e making the existing texture into a single 'frame', and then duplicating it a certain number of times, and editing certain frames to look distorted(or rather like some of the AI's in Mass Effect). You wouldn't want to do so with a 512x512 texture though, as each two frames doubles the size.

Also, very nice work on these. Only one that really surprised me was Tattooine, though that was because of the see-through gate - Very nice.

Revan123 04-23-2011 05:41 PM

Xarwarz:
Quote:

Well im working on the droids its just a very tedious redrawing the skins for them there alot of little detail in some of them.

Just make sure to keep it up...
its always the "small things" which make life interesting;)

-invisible panels:
personally i think they have a great anti-aging impact on the game, cant believe some people dislike them...
but like Rtas Vadum mentioned - if u can animate the panels/some of the textures ... now THAT would be awesome!!

ray007 04-23-2011 06:42 PM

Suggestions:

Interface panels: Solid base/frame with only certain parts more 'invisible'. If the invisible parts could be animated - that would be amazing.

See through walls: Currently a very nice visual effect, but what about making them more see through in limited places? If done right, it could create a nice contrast.

Regarding the lack of texture detail on footlockers and a few other items -the main issue for me is that images seems to lack overall 3d depth.
-----

Xarwarz - in my opinion you have created one of the most amazing mods made for the game and I thank you for it. My comments are just suggestions on possible versions that you may want to consider creating.

Xarwarz 04-24-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtas Vadum (Post 2775432)
You could do that by animating the textures(i.e making the existing texture into a single 'frame', and then duplicating it a certain number of times, and editing certain frames to look distorted(or rather like some of the AI's in Mass Effect). You wouldn't want to do so with a 512x512 texture though, as each two frames doubles the size.

Also, very nice work on these. Only one that really surprised me was Tattooine, though that was because of the see-through gate - Very nice.

Well i think i understand the basics of what u mean but how to get it to show in game thats the part i need to know guess i gotta find tuts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray007 (Post 2775441)
Suggestions:

Interface panels: Solid base/frame with only certain parts more 'invisible'. If the invisible parts could be animated - that would be amazing.

See through walls: Currently a very nice visual effect, but what about making them more see through in limited places? If done right, it could create a nice contrast.

Regarding the lack of texture detail on footlockers and a few other items -the main issue for me is that images seems to lack overall 3d depth.
-----

Xarwarz - in my opinion you have created one of the most amazing mods made for the game and I thank you for it. My comments are just suggestions on possible versions that you may want to consider creating.

When you say see through walls what area are you referring to exactly?

nsinger998 05-12-2011 10:02 PM

I was wondering if this was intentional...

the kiosk and the monitors in the duel chamber are invisible except for white glowing lines and details.

other plc things like chairs and the floor lock boxs seem off somehow.

Phildevil 05-13-2011 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsinger998 (Post 2778273)
I was wondering if this was intentional...

the kiosk and the monitors in the duel chamber are invisible except for white glowing lines and details.

other plc things like chairs and the floor lock boxs seem off somehow.

Maybe a screenshot would help to see this for those of us that don't remember this particular kiosk?

Xarwarz 05-13-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsinger998 (Post 2778273)
I was wondering if this was intentional...

the kiosk and the monitors in the duel chamber are invisible except for white glowing lines and details.

other plc things like chairs and the floor lock boxs seem off somehow.

The kiosk and monitors were intentional i felt it gave it a nextgen feel..

As far as the chairs and doors yes i agree a pic is needed for me to understand

CptPriceless 06-11-2011 09:37 PM

You did an amazing job with all of these reskins, KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2. I don't know if this is what you were aiming for, but I felt kind of like I was playing Mass Effect. This is going to permanently stay in my Override :)

Xarwarz 06-13-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CptPriceless (Post 2781314)
You did an amazing job with all of these reskins, KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2. I don't know if this is what you were aiming for, but I felt kind of like I was playing Mass Effect. This is going to permanently stay in my Override :)

Thanks for trying it out and well yes mass effect did influence some of my ideas.

Dark_Ansem 06-13-2011 05:25 PM

how so?

Xarwarz 06-13-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem (Post 2781474)
how so?

The over all sci fi glow of things such as the computer panels, doors etc.... instead of recreating the old low tech look.

Snard 06-24-2011 04:40 PM

Theres an issue with the shadows, you cant see them. You might want to fix that. Otherwise, this looks great.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.