LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Holowan Laboratories (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=324)
-   -   [Tutorial] Scripting Installer [Nsis] [Noob Friendly] (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=207091)

Nvenom 04-10-2011 03:43 AM

Scripting Installer [Nsis] [Noob Friendly]
 
Before We Get Started id like to say Hi, :thmbup1:

I know i have hardly any posts at the time of making this but trust me when i say i got plenty of experience in modding have done a little of everything but
Skinning is my primary Forte. I Will go through Step by Step very Detailed and without a giant wall of text!! i know its un-heard of in a scripting tutorial
this will Work for Everything, i will explain sending different Files to different locations in Segment 3

Want to see an Example of what im talking about First..
Check out my mod that i learned this for Nvenoms Custom Interface

Okay on with the Goods,

REASON:
Show spoiler


Just need 3 things
NSIShttp://nsis.sourceforge.net/Download our main Program
Notepad++http://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloadThis will help you keep up with Your Scripting and help you Conquer that wall of text i said i wasint going to create....:dev9:
Last but not least a little tiny voice in Your head that says you can do this...

Now Dont go opening up Nsis just yet, First we are Going to make our Script.

Start up Notepad++ and begin a new File, Our Readme/License

Type what ever you want in it dosent have to be special can be something as simple as Hello World

Once You are done Save it on your DESKTOP as ReadLNew.nsi/// .NSI Make sure you save it as that


Now We Start our Scripting Open up another new txt in Notepad++ by using File> New in the top left ( Shouldint have to say this)

Start With
Show spoiler



Second Segment
Show spoiler


Third Segment
Show spoiler


Segment Four
Show spoiler


Segment Five
Show spoiler


Tips/Tricks Segment
Show spoiler


For Modders Wanting to Edit other Parts of Files!! As Qui-Gon Glenn informed me My Installer lacks a sense of editing .2da files and of other sorts that only TSL patcher can do.. Here is a workaround. Time for another Segment for you .2da editors *May seem pointless to some*
Show spoiler


In Final I Want to Say thanks for Reading and i really hope you got it, Without this my modding would have been pointless and far to complicated for anyone to want too bother with. *side note* One of the easiest Scripting languages i have ever try to learn XD

Qui-Gon Glenn 04-10-2011 04:59 AM

This is an interesting post.

My question is this: Is this necessary or helpful at this point?

For a massive mod that is not concerned at all with compatibility with other people's mods, then perhaps this makes sense. 'Twas the case with TSLRP and finally TSLRCM, but those mods are massive... and I am not even sure in the case of TSLRCM, as it seems to behave well with other mods for the most part...

My reason for asking is this, Nvenom... are you aware that the TSLPatcher does all of this for us while ensuring updating/patching the vanilla game files that are "patchable"?

I ask this because it does not appear in any of your hidden segments, what would occur in the case where a file from your installer is named the same as a file that already exists? The .2da files we edit and include in our mods are changed by almost everyone, thus they must be patched and not over-written, as it seems your little proggy would do.

The other mildly disturbing thing is the trojan-horse icon used by your installer. I personally would not use any installer that had that little horsey on it, and I am savvy enough to know that not all .exe's wearing that emblem are trojans. Nevertheless, it is a negative connotation.

All that said, it is a nice idea, and thank you for your post.

Nvenom 04-10-2011 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Glenn (Post 2773220)
This is an interesting post.

My question is this: Is this necessary or helpful at this point?

For a massive mod that is not concerned at all with compatibility with other people's mods, then perhaps this makes sense. 'Twas the case with TSLRP and finally TSLRCM, but those mods are massive... and I am not even sure in the case of TSLRCM, as it seems to behave well with other mods for the most part...

My reason for asking is this, Nvenom... are you aware that the TSLPatcher does all of this for us while ensuring updating/patching the vanilla game files that are "patchable"?

I ask this because it does not appear in any of your hidden segments, what would occur in the case where a file from your installer is named the same as a file that already exists? The .2da files we edit and include in our mods are changed by almost everyone, thus they must be patched and not over-written, as it seems your little proggy would do.

The other mildly disturbing thing is the trojan-horse icon used by your installer. I personally would not use any installer that had that little horsey on it, and I am savvy enough to know that not all .exe's wearing that emblem are trojans. Nevertheless, it is a negative connotation.

All that said, it is a nice idea, and thank you for your post.

Thx for the response i guess...:raise: as to my Post i stated why i did it in the first Bit, I could not find a single Installer that gave options, were i to release my mod it would have consisted of 12 tslpatcher .exe's and been around 200 mb's... not to mention that i also tried to focus on how this is mostly for skinners not people going all out with full blown models that consist of editing Files rather than just replacing them

As to the Trojan horse thing, not much i can say really because i dont think its a horse on there icon, more of a dog. Anywho, Segment for .2da editing added at the end.
For those of you who dont trust an icon with a dog on it... Change it...

Here is the Code
Show spoiler

Qui-Gon Glenn 04-10-2011 03:53 PM

Ok. I think I understand better, after re-reading your initial post and this latest one. This is so the End-User can make choices as to which skins they want to install and which ones not. Now that I have re-read, I think what you are offering is quite cool! Not something I would use personally, as I am more of a story/script modder, but many in the community may find this useful!

Thanks again, sorry for the criticism, glad to hear your response!

Nvenom 04-10-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Glenn (Post 2773290)
Ok. I think I understand better, after re-reading your initial post and this latest one. This is so the End-User can make choices as to which skins they want to install and which ones not. Now that I have re-read, I think what you are offering is quite cool! Not something I would use personally, as I am more of a story/script modder, but many in the community may find this useful!

Thanks again, sorry for the criticism, glad to hear your response!

If you cant take critisism you Shouldint be posting your mods to a community of people or atleast thats the way i feel, Really glad you commented it gave me a chance to re-inforce my post and even made me look back through it and find some errors, :duel:

reivzje 04-10-2011 06:23 PM

Great work this will help a lot off people :)

Nvenom 04-11-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reivzje (Post 2773304)
Great work this will help a lot of people :)

Sure Hope So, Although it make take some Time to grasp it is a powerfull tool

stoffe 04-13-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvenom (Post 2773435)
I could not find a single Installer that gave options, were i to release my mod it would have consisted of 12 tslpatcher .exe's and been around 200 mb's...

You can use a namespaces.ini file (the configuration utility can create one, it's in one of the menus) with TSLPatcher to provide a screen allowing the user to select one of several installation options. It's a bit primitive since it can only allow the user one of several options, not a checklist of options like most installation utilities do, but it does allow using a single exe and file base to provide several installation options.

(IIRC it essentially just allows you to provide several changes.ini and readme texts and swaps which ones are used depending on what the user picks.)

* * *

On topic: Not everyone installs their games in the default location. You should read the install path from the Registry and use that instead of hardcoding in your installer scripts where the files should go.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.