LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Expanded Universe (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=442)
-   -   Star Wars Burnout (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=207248)

DAWUSS 04-27-2011 01:12 AM

Star Wars Burnout
 
Have any of you also experienced this? Where you've just become... bored, finished, or disinterested with Star Wars? I've gotten to that point TBQH. Not sure if I'll jump back into it anytime soon, but that's my current state regarding SW...

SITH LORD 872 04-27-2011 06:48 AM

That's why i have revived all of the games, And started adding mods, to make the game more fun, And now I'm learning how to skin.

I was at the point you are now, After ROTS, Cause there wasn't anything to keep me excited, Which is why i have Joined these forums, To meet new people, And learn things i never knew about Star Wars!!

Ser'eck 04-27-2011 07:28 AM

I'm a little burnt out myself. Mostly because LucasFilms started to make The Clone Wars their primary focus. Don't get me wrong it is a decent addition, I just wish they would concentrate on doing more than just that.

When the prequels started coming out things got great with some fun games and other stuff just started popping up. Now after ROTS, they seem to have put themselves on the back burner.

SITH LORD 872 04-27-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed Jedi (Post 2776005)
I'm a little burnt out myself. Mostly because LucasFilms started to make The Clone Wars their primary focus. Don't get me wrong it is a decent addition, I just wish they would concentrate on doing more than just that.

When the prequels started coming out things got great with some fun games and other stuff just started popping up. Now after ROTS, they seem to have put themselves on the back burner.

I do agree with you on the Clone Wars statement, They make it sound like it's the most important war ever faught, Which in my opinion should be the The Galactic civil war, There seems to be more plotting going on, Than with the clone wars basing it around the clone troopers.

SmootheOperator 04-28-2011 11:18 AM

personally i find it refreshing that they are concentrating around the clones. There is a lot of story there that few people even thought of before, let alone wanted to explore. The Force user stories have gotten too much attention. For the amount of potential there is for the galaxy during the clone wars and during the empire, not enough has been explored.

I am more interested in the stories of the "grunts" anyway. I find the Jedi too "high on their horse", and i want to hear about the clones that are fighting the war, not the "generals" in the Jedi temple.

On a seperate note, i think there should be more focus on the games. With the amount of attention TFU got, and The Old Republic is getting, i think it is obscene that there isn't more games in planning and coming out. Video Games are a completely new way of telling a story that can have the "watcher/player" more vested in the story. It is a largely unexplored way of telling a story for LucasArts. Sure there is KOTOR, and ames like that, but there is so much more to the expanded universe than just that. Look beyond the movies, there is several thousand years between the old republic and the Empire, ther has to be something worth exploring, putting money into, and making a decent game out of. Resurect some of the older games, and give them a new story. so many options, so little ambition to do anything about it.

SITH LORD 872 04-28-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmootheOperator (Post 2776163)
personally i find it refreshing that they are concentrating around the clones. There is a lot of story there that few people even thought of before, let alone wanted to explore. The Force user stories have gotten too much attention. For the amount of potential there is for the galaxy during the clone wars and during the empire, not enough has been explored.

I am more interested in the stories of the "grunts" anyway. I find the Jedi too "high on their horse", and i want to hear about the clones that are fighting the war, not the "generals" in the Jedi temple.

On a seperate note, i think there should be more focus on the games. With the amount of attention TFU got, and The Old Republic is getting, i think it is obscene that there isn't more games in planning and coming out. Video Games are a completely new way of telling a story that can have the "watcher/player" more vested in the story. It is a largely unexplored way of telling a story for LucasArts. Sure there is KOTOR, and ames like that, but there is so much more to the expanded universe than just that. Look beyond the movies, there is several thousand years between the old republic and the Empire, ther has to be something worth exploring, putting money into, and making a decent game out of. Resurect some of the older games, and give them a new story. so many options, so little ambition to do anything about it.

I think as far as games go, Being as close to the clone Wars we will ever be, Would be Battlefront 2, And the Order 66 Mod, Which is only a demo right now. How ever i do agree that they tend to focus more on Jedi than Anything, Reading some of the books based around Commander Cody, Tells a lot more than the movie's ever did!

DAWUSS 04-29-2011 11:44 PM

I would like it if the series ventured away from the constant emphasis of Jedi and Sith and on to some of the other groups out there, and this can include rather ordinary individuals. I often feel like this is something that the producers and writers often fall back on and have done so far too many times IMO. That and the rehashing of the same old characters. I think the pre-CW has an advantage over CW, GCW and post-GCW in this regard, since (IMO) it's been all about the Skywalkers and Solos. May they fade into anonymity and carry on their family lines there.

Another thing is the constant retconning - these people need to get their stories straight (and yes, I understand that The Great Flanneled One is responsible for most of these retcons, but still...).

Then comes the constant additions of OOT content - I know it's a fantasy universe, but sometimes I think the envelope gets pushed in that respect. But that's a minor quibble, one I think is somewhat tied to the constant clinging to Jedi.

Klw 05-23-2011 12:50 PM

I dislike the Clone Wars for three reasons:

1. The movie was bad (but the series is much better).
2. They are all the same. How can you have interesting characters if everyone looks the same and is basically programmed to follow orders?
3. The Clone Wars are one giant hoax. Taken as a whole, they mean quite a bit. But once you get into individual battles, they mean nothing. Why should I care about some epic Jedi adventure during the Clone Wars if I already know that said general is a dead man walking, said clones aren't really his friends, and said planet will shortly become part of the Galactic Empire?

Alexrd 05-23-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klw (Post 2779340)
I dislike the Clone Wars for three reasons:

1. The movie was bad (but the series is much better).

You dislike TCW because the series is better than the movie?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klw (Post 2779340)
2. They are all the same. How can you have interesting characters if everyone looks the same and is basically programmed to follow orders?

Who looks the same? The clones? If there's one thing the series has managed to do, is to give to make the clones individuals, each one having their own personality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klw (Post 2779340)
3. The Clone Wars are one giant hoax. Taken as a whole, they mean quite a bit. But once you get into individual battles, they mean nothing. Why should I care about some epic Jedi adventure during the Clone Wars if I already know that said general is a dead man walking, said clones aren't really his friends, and said planet will shortly become part of the Galactic Empire?

That can be applied to almost everything on Star Wars. I assume you disliked the PT, KotOR's, and everything that came back before the OT, because we already know what's going to happen, right?

Klw 05-23-2011 02:35 PM

1. I disliked the movie *but* the series is better (hence the parentheses), not *because* the series is better.

2. If they were all willing to execute Order 66 then they aren't unique individuals with free will. That ruins them for me and makes them no better than droids.

3. Fair point. I guess what I really mean to say is that the battles of the Clone Wars were just "side effects" of the Emperor's conspiracy, which is the real story. The prequel trilogy, on the other hand, is the real story. The prequel trilogy is consequential - everything that happens leads to something later on. The individual battles of the Clone Wars are inconsequential - it doesn't matter who wins them because both sides are just being played against each other. That's why I'd rather see another Episode than hear about what happened in the Clone Wars.

Just my two cents about why I don't like to focus on the Clone Wars.

Crixler 06-17-2011 06:12 AM

Not all clones were willing to execute Order 66, actually. Most still did though, due to the immense discipline they had. The clones tended to live a pretty sheltered life, and they generally never learned more than warfare and following orders. But that doesn't mean they weren't unique individuals.

Check out the Republic Commando books, if you haven't already (probably not, considering your stance). Really good stuff.

Klw 06-17-2011 01:24 PM

They did alter the clones genetically to be more obedient, though. I now know that some clones did develop a conscience, but in general, you have to admit that the clone army displayed the moral compass of a droid.

If they were genetically unaltered like Boba Fett, I'm sure that serving on the front lines with their Jedi masters would have been more than enough for some of them to counteract their sheltered training regimen on Kamino and that there would have been mass disobedience to Palpatine.

SmootheOperator 06-19-2011 02:46 AM

true, the only clones that were left as Jango were the ARC troopers, which kinda bugged me about the clone wars show, they talked about moving a couple of clone troops into ARC training, but you weren't trained to be an ARC, you were born an ARC. Something like the Commando's however, they could be trained from regular clones (trooper Cor for fans of the RC book series), but the ARCs were a very specific "breed" of clone.

Although Boba was a direct copy of Jango, he had no accelerated aging, he had no alterations what-so-ever, he was also raised as a son. The way a Mando would raise a son, not trained to be a killer now, because he would be dead with-in 15 years, either by the accelerated aging, or being killed in battle. The clones/RCs/ARCs were "taught" by teachers, but still remained with clones, Boba lived with Jango, and would grow up as a normal child would, or as normal as you can be when your "dad" is an intergalactic bounty hunter, and also technically the father of several hundred thousand other boys more-or-less like yourself.

There is also another little thing in the clones training that got me thinkin, the clones swore allegiance to the chancellor, not to the republic, not to the jedi, and not to any government body, JUST to the chancellor, someone should have thought that was odd. Soldiers today swear allegiance to the country they defend, not to any single person in particular.

Al_Ciao 08-03-2011 07:26 PM

I read a couple of the Republic Commando books, including Order 66, and it gave some background insight to Order 66, which might be expected from the title. Basically, it wasn't just a "KILL ALL JEDI CUZ I SAID SO" order, it was one of those extreme worst-case scenario orders which meant, "The Jedi have turned traitor and are too dangerous to be kept captive." It was also stated that there was a similar order for the chancellor.

As for the OP, I've never experienced Star Wars burnout myself. I've been going strong since I was 10 years old! (I'm 28 now.)

Ctrl Alt Del 09-11-2011 05:15 PM

From time to time I do. Like in all things in life, Star Wars gets on your nerves after a while (which, obviously, varies from individual to individual) and you need a moment to rest. At the moment I'm lukewarm about SW in general. TOR and the book Revan are the only things Star Wars coming that pique my interest and even so I'm not to big on the former.

I suppose the dubious quality of much that is released in the expanded universe (and I mean everything, from books to games) also helps breeds this tired feeling. It's not only my opinion as the popular reception for a lot of material that came recently has been mixed at best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAWUSS (Post 2776417)
I would like it if the series ventured away from the constant emphasis of Jedi and Sith and on to some of the other groups out there, and this can include rather ordinary individuals. I often feel like this is something that the producers and writers often fall back on and have done so far too many times IMO. That and the rehashing of the same old characters. I think the pre-CW has an advantage over CW, GCW and post-GCW in this regard, since (IMO) it's been all about the Skywalkers and Solos. May they fade into anonymity and carry on their family lines there.

Yes, agreed. This was exactly why the live action TV series interests me so much, if it ever happens. Not a single Skywalker ever had a calm they on their lives and that feeling is somehow upsetting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klw (Post 2779349)
3. Fair point. I guess what I really mean to say is that the battles of the Clone Wars were just "side effects" of the Emperor's conspiracy, which is the real story. The prequel trilogy, on the other hand, is the real story. The prequel trilogy is consequential - everything that happens leads to something later on. The individual battles of the Clone Wars are inconsequential - it doesn't matter who wins them because both sides are just being played against each other. That's why I'd rather see another Episode than hear about what happened in the Clone Wars.

Well, that's the entire plot, as you said, of the prequels from AotC and I think it's fine enough, really. A huge plot twist Lucas planned that worked better on paper than in fact. I believe it would have worked much better under a different director or as book.

As much as we knew the events of the prequels, including the whole war, seeing how it unfolded was the real magic behind it. No one that watched the OT and went to see the new movies thought otherwise, I'm sure. It's just like if you're an history aficcionado: you know who won WWII but you still want to see how it ever happened, where it took place, who fought and was decisive on it and so on.

I wouldn't blame, thus, the apparent vacuity of showing the Clone Wars on the fact we know what would happen eventually. It's more of an execution flaw.

SmootheOperator 09-30-2011 03:46 AM

I'm sure a lot of you have been reading the books, but was anyone as dissappointed with The Old Republic Fatal Alliance as i was? it just seemed to exist on its own, it had little to do with the Empire, the Republic, Jedi or Sith. Other than the names, it could exist on its own with little trouble.

Kurgan 09-30-2011 01:01 PM

I got "burned out" on Star Wars about the time of Episode II's release I think. From then I basically just went back to liking some movies and some games. Oddly there are still plenty of Star Wars fans who seem to think you have to like everyone with the logo on it, regardless of quality. It used to be possible to follow all that stuff, but anymore there's just too much and too much that is of mediocre quality. Something for everyone, some might say, but yeah, great recipe for "burnout" if you're an obsessed fan (as many of us were) instead of just a fan. ;)

I like other movies, other books, other games, I like a lot of other fun things that have nothing to do with Star Wars. Some of the "burnout" might also be due to people consuming nothing but Star Wars for too long. I also have gotten a lot busier in my life over the past decade, so I have a lot less time to obsess over such things. On the other hand, as with most hobbies, people find them a pleasant diversion. If it ceases being pleasant, time to find another (healthy) diversion. Being a Star Wars fan can be time consuming and expensive (if you go with "everything" approach) and not everyone can do that, even old, die-hards like me.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.