LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Kavar's Corner (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=698)
-   -   Al-Zawahri named new Al-Qaida Leader (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=207699)

Istorian 06-18-2011 06:11 PM

Al-Zawahri named new Al-Qaida Leader
 
The guy who wants to inflict
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al-Zawahri
"as many casualties as possible"

on the Americans is the new leader of AlQ.

Read the whole story here.

They say he's not as charismatic as the former leader, but what he lacks in appeal, he makes up with innovative ideas and bold plans. Better or worse than Bin Laden?

Gorgod 06-18-2011 06:18 PM

As Al Qaida leaders come and go, they'll all have the same idea to direct all of the group's focus on- trying to kill non-muslims and the countries they live in. 9/11 was a clever and brutal plan, undergoing years of development and killing thousands. With this new guy, will his supposed "innovative" plans kill even more in a shorter time? That's what worries me, really.

And besides, Osama Bin Laden has established Al Qaida moderately well, at this point, how much does charisma matter?

Ctrl Alt Del 06-18-2011 08:20 PM

I think it doesn't changes much. Al Qaeda operates in pretty independent cells. A central leadership just gives a name for the Western powers to witch hunt.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorgod (Post 2782312)
And besides, Osama Bin Laden has established Al Qaida moderately well, at this point, how much does charisma matter?

A charismatic leader can attract new followers and inspire loyalty. It's a vital quality for anyone aspiring leadership. Or else it wouldn't be a stat in 9 in 10 RPGs. :xp:

Sabretooth 06-19-2011 12:46 AM

Zawayhiri was the one actually leading the Al-Qaida all along anyway, so it's no surprise he gets voted in this time. But why doesn't he show his birth certificate???

Tommycat 06-19-2011 05:04 AM

^^^
I heard he was actually a Jew and not Muslim at all.

Istorian 06-19-2011 06:39 AM

Well, he certainly is Egyptian, born near Cairo, if I'm not mistaken. However, his father was a Muslim fanatic from what I hear. If he is a Jew, I think he's hiding it extremely well!

Tommycat 06-19-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Istorian (Post 2782343)
Well, he certainly is Egyptian, born near Cairo, if I'm not mistaken. However, his father was a Muslim fanatic from what I hear. If he is a Jew, I think he's hiding it extremely well!

It was a joke... Kinda in the vein of people claiming Obama is a muslim.

Sabretooth 06-19-2011 03:10 PM

Funny thing is, it could be taken really seriously by a Muslim fanatic trying to discredit and bring down al-Zawahri.

*everyone look at Istorian*

Tommycat 06-19-2011 04:57 PM

Haha maybe they should consult the Republicans on how to make people believe someone is what they are not to keep Al Q down.

Istorian 06-19-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommycat (Post 2782362)
It was a joke... Kinda in the vein of people claiming Obama is a muslim.

Sorry, didn't get it! :P I don't live in the US so I don't get to hear what's being said about Obama.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretooth (Post 2782367)
Funny thing is, it could be taken really seriously by a Muslim fanatic trying to discredit and bring down al-Zawahri.

*everyone look at Istorian*

You know, I actually came second when we voted about Bin Laden's successor, Al-Zawahri beat me for like 2 votes. I mean, it just bugs me, man. Just bugs me.

Tommycat 06-19-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Istorian (Post 2782395)
Sorry, didn't get it! :P I don't live in the US so I don't get to hear what's being said about Obama.

Yeah, I figured you were outside the US. It's a very US centric joke too.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Istorian (Post 2782395)
You know, I actually came second when we voted about Bin Laden's successor, Al-Zawahri beat me for like 2 votes. I mean, it just bugs me, man. Just bugs me.

You should have demanded a recount(note also a USish joke).

Liverandbacon 06-19-2011 08:45 PM

Al-Zawahri is very good at managing terrorist groups. However, he was already all but leading AQ, so I doubt much will be different in the long term. The short term could be bad, since every day it becomes a less perfect a time for a large reprisal for UBL's death, and AQ want to make one. So far no plots have succeeded, but who knows if that will remain the case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Istorian (Post 2782395)
You know, I actually came second when we voted about Bin Laden's successor, Al-Zawahri beat me for like 2 votes. I mean, it just bugs me, man. Just bugs me.

Well that makes things awkward for us. Unless you care to give me his location. Then we'll be cool.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.