LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Ahto Spaceport Cantina (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=325)
-   -   Prometheus (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=210285)

Negative Sun 06-12-2012 07:22 PM

Prometheus
 
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...osterfixed.jpg

Went to see it last week it is very very good, best sci-fi film I have seen in cinemas in a looong time! It had a very 2001: A Space Odyssey feel to it and also David (played by Michael Fassbender) really reminds me of the character R. Daneel Olivaw from Isaac Asimov's books. A must see for any classic sci-fi fan :thmbup1:

Blix 06-12-2012 09:13 PM

Haven't seen it myself, heard from friends that it's "different". Not sure what to make of that since in my past experiences different has always been black or white; you love it or hate it.

Lynk Former 06-12-2012 09:16 PM

I'll be seeing it soon, can't wait to see if Ridley still has it.

Q 06-12-2012 09:57 PM

Heard it wasn't great but still quite good.

I'll probably be seeing it this weekend.

Ctrl Alt Del 06-12-2012 10:40 PM

Still have to see it, hopefully this friday. I've been warned not to expect another The 8th passenger and I'd be okay. But I never did. Would be madness to have such high expectations, but yeah, I've heard it's pretty good and I trust it is.

Sith Holocron 06-12-2012 10:53 PM

Prometheus has issues and plot holes so large you can steer a Death Star through them. Not a fan of it, unfortunately.

LDR 06-12-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith Holocron (Post 2813809)
Plot holes so large you can steer a Death Star through them.

This is exactly how the Aliens and/or Predator fanbase sees it.

To be honest, I have no urge to see it.

Lynk Former 06-12-2012 11:07 PM

Well Ridley has basically retconned out the entire AvP connection, not that anyone should be complaining about that.

Plus, even though I haven't seen it yet, I know folks are saying it looks like this is only the start and there will most likely be a sequel.

Q 06-13-2012 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith Holocron (Post 2813809)
Prometheus has issues and plot holes so large you can steer a Death Star through them. Not a fan of it, unfortunately.

On the flip side, I've heard this, too. The fact that it was written by the same guy who was responsible for the final season and series finale of Lost is not particularly encouraging. :snear:

I'll be seeing it anyway, though.

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan 06-13-2012 05:05 AM

Saw it yesterday.

http://i.imgur.com/cHswa.jpg


It was my first movie of the Alien/Predator/Alien vs. Predator franchise, and in that regard, I probably should have watched Alien or something before seeing Prometheus, but I knew nothing about Prometheus when I went to see it.

Show spoiler



I liked Noomi Rapace's performance as Dr. Shaw, and Michael Fassbender's as David.
It's your run of the mill scientific-expedition-gone-wrong story, but I liked it. Will certainly go to see a sequel if one is released.

Lynk Former 06-13-2012 05:12 AM

I can't understand how there are people on this planet that haven't seen Alien (or Predator, though really I'd rather these two series stay separate)... it just shouldn't be possible once you reach a certain age :carms:

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan 06-13-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynk Former (Post 2813823)
I can't understand how there are people on this planet that haven't seen Alien (or Predator, though really I'd rather these two series stay separate)... it just shouldn't be possible once you reach a certain age :carms:

Ehh. It was in the lower third of my mental 'to-watch' list, which basically means 'watch it if you happen to come across it'.

I hadn't come across the franchise, till now. (though I vaguely remember seeing bits of Predator in 2007, and a teeny bit of AvP before that)

Lynk Former 06-13-2012 05:38 AM

Don't bother with AvP... we all pretend it doesn't exist.

deathdisco 06-13-2012 01:02 PM

Saw it last night and enjoyed it very much. Becoming a big fan of Michael Fassbender. Saw him in X-Men:First class and loved that performance also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan (Post 2813822)
Saw it yesterday.

http://i.imgur.com/cHswa.jpg


It was my first movie of the Alien/Predator/Alien vs. Predator franchise, and in that regard, I probably should have watched Alien or something before seeing Prometheus, but I knew nothing about Prometheus when I went to see it.

Show spoiler



I liked Noomi Rapace's performance as Dr. Shaw, and Michael Fassbender's as David.
It's your run of the mill scientific-expedition-gone-wrong story, but I liked it. Will certainly go to see a sequel if one is released.

Show spoiler


Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynk Former (Post 2813811)
Well Ridley has basically retconned out the entire AvP connection, not that anyone should be complaining about that.

Plus, even though I haven't seen it yet, I know folks are saying it looks like this is only the start and there will most likely be a sequel.

I saw the first AVP on cable. It wasn't great but it was interesting and entertaining. I wouldn't of paid movie prices to watch it but I liked it well enough. I treat it as a completely separate entity from the rest of the Alien franchise.

Edit: Forgot this bit,
Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan (Post 2813822)
Show spoiler

Show spoiler

Prime 06-13-2012 01:32 PM

Is AvP actually a part of Alien canon?

Pho3nix 06-13-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prime (Post 2813852)
Is AvP actually a part of Alien canon?

Nope, It's just Alien and Aliens. Not exactly sure if the third one is even recognized by Ridley

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan 06-14-2012 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathdisco (Post 2813850)
Show spoiler

Show spoiler

jawathehutt 06-14-2012 12:05 PM

I haven't seen it but apparently their marketing has been damned effective on me since my entire dream last night was about it. We won by the way, my shopping mall that somehow turned into a derelict capital ship in one of my most bizarre dream transitions ever managed to survive its first encounter with the aliens aboard the Prometheus and return home to rally reinforcements. The highlight of my dream movie thing was the fact that apparently beer bottles were acceptable ammunition for my ship's one single cannon, which happened to be a hole in the side of the ship that I kicked things through to shoot them.

Q 06-14-2012 03:13 PM

Damn. I wanna have your dreams. :(

deathdisco 06-14-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan (Post 2813910)
Show spoiler

Show spoiler

Negative Sun 06-25-2012 07:10 PM

Alien vs Predator never happened.

Still the best sci-fi/horror I've seen in a long time...

Show spoiler

Boba Rhett 06-25-2012 07:43 PM

I very much enjoyed watching it. The story was ultimately utter trash due to the overwhelming size and complexity of the undulating mass of plot holes that ended up being the real monster in this flick.

Q 06-25-2012 10:09 PM

So it's still worth catching a matinee; just don't think about it too much?

Sounds like just about every movie that's come out in the last 5 10 15 years. Oh, well. :\

jonathan7 06-26-2012 01:58 PM

I HATED it;

Firstly the good; the Visuals are absolutely stunning, the first hour of the film is pretty decent.

The bad;
spoiler:
firstly why on earth was Giger not tasked with coming up with creature designs for the new "monsters" in this film? The monsters look utter trash. The plot frankly, I could of done a better job of in 5 minutes. However none of that hides my main gripe. The Space Jockey - it's like Ridley had now clue as to what made it cool; it was foreign and unknowable; it would have been much better to have just to seen the in suits and have no idea what they look like. I'm afraid in J7's Alien universe, Prometheus, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, AvP and AvP2 DO NOT EXIST!

Boba Rhett 06-26-2012 04:20 PM

Ahahaha, this Captain's Log is a great read.

Also, below is a GIF that walks you through the entire story of Prometheus.

Show spoiler

Blix 06-26-2012 07:06 PM

What's funny is that I "knew" this was related to Alien before even looking it up

Lynk Former 06-26-2012 07:18 PM

@j7: I agree that having Giger involved would've been awesome, but they were trying to come up with different and Giger's works revolve around the same concepts.

Sith Holocron 06-29-2012 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDR (Post 2813810)
This is exactly how the Aliens and/or Predator fanbase sees it.

Had to clear something up: I don't see myself part of that AVP fan base, I tend to think of AVP as non-canon myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan7 (Post 2814696)
Firstly the good; the Visuals are absolutely stunning

The visuals are stunning. It's too bad they had to rip off the Prometheus ship design from the ship from/that is Firefly. Doubling the engines doesn't make it less of a rip-off.

Michael Fassbender's performance is impressive. If they ever do a Peter O'Toole biopic, I think we've got the perfect casting available!

I'll give the movie that much.

No real H.R. Giger designs? Lame.

Lynk Former 07-06-2012 10:26 AM

So I FINALLY saw it.

And... it was great... I mean, I took it as it was and unlike a lot of people around the net, I'm not asking too many questions and trying to dissect every little bit of it to try to make sense of every single frame.

That said... I don't like the way it ended... Why? Because they could've easily tied it into a neat bow and said "this is where it starts for Alien"... instead they're saying "wait for Prometheus 2"... which is stupid.

What they should have done:
spoiler:
The setting shouldn't have been a moon designated LV-223, it should have been the planetoid designated LV-426 from the original Alien movie.

Fpr the epilogue, instead of the engineer simply dying as the proto-facehugger implanted him, he should have woken up during the epilogue, crawled his way back to the pilot chair of his ship, got back into his space suit and tried to initiate the medical scan or something, but before he can the chestburster happens and he dies as you see his corpse in Alien with the queen being born right there on the ship.

If those two things were different about this movie then it would pretty much be able to be tied directly to Alien and Prometheus would be an awesome stand-alone prequel setup to Alien.


However, that's not how it happens in the movie... and that makes me sad.

Pho3nix 07-06-2012 10:38 AM

It's not a prequel to Alien Lynk...

Ridley wanted it to have a few strands of "Alien DNA" but that it could stand on its own. Most likely there's going to be at least one sequel.

Lynk Former 07-06-2012 10:57 AM

I know it's not a prequel to Alien, that was my point. It should have been and even so it could still stand on its own because all they needed to do to have the movie stand on its own but still be a prequel to Alien were those two changes I mentioned in my spoiler tags. They can make Prometheus 2 if they want to, but if this movie had've set up the events that lead up to Alien then they could've freely explored the other aspects the movie introduced in its sequel and make it run parallel to the events that affect the Nostromo years later.

It's a huge missed opportunity because now everyone is going to expect things to be tied in a neat little bow in the sequel which will end up hurting that sequel more than it helps. If they had done it with this movie, said "okay, there's the connection with Alien, but if we make a sequel it will explore new and unknown territory" that would've been awesome. But they didn't, so now it's just going to get overly complicated and peoples expectations will be screwed with.

Q 07-06-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boba Rhett (Post 2814717)
Ahahaha, this Captain's Log is a great read.

Also, below is a GIF that walks you through the entire story of Prometheus.

Show spoiler

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4...elofpotato.jpg

Negative Sun 07-10-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynk Former (Post 2815313)
So I FINALLY saw it.

And... it was great... I mean, I took it as it was and unlike a lot of people around the net, I'm not asking too many questions and trying to dissect every little bit of it to try to make sense of every single frame.

That said... I don't like the way it ended... Why? Because they could've easily tied it into a neat bow and said "this is where it starts for Alien"... instead they're saying "wait for Prometheus 2"... which is stupid.

What they should have done:
spoiler:
The setting shouldn't have been a moon designated LV-223, it should have been the planetoid designated LV-426 from the original Alien movie.

Fpr the epilogue, instead of the engineer simply dying as the proto-facehugger implanted him, he should have woken up during the epilogue, crawled his way back to the pilot chair of his ship, got back into his space suit and tried to initiate the medical scan or something, but before he can the chestburster happens and he dies as you see his corpse in Alien with the queen being born right there on the ship.

If those two things were different about this movie then it would pretty much be able to be tied directly to Alien and Prometheus would be an awesome stand-alone prequel setup to Alien.


However, that's not how it happens in the movie... and that makes me sad.

Cool ideas Lynk I'm glad you liked it.

spoiler:
I'm hoping a sequel will maybe be taken to LV-426 it would be cool because it's definitely wide open at the end.

Lynk Former 07-10-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negative Sun (Post 2815658)
Cool ideas Lynk I'm glad you liked it.

spoiler:
I'm hoping a sequel will maybe be taken to LV-426 it would be cool because it's definitely wide open at the end.

Yeah, and that's exactly the problem I was talking about. It's too open at the end in terms of Alien. If they tied the loose ends then they could've just said "that's how the story ties into Alien with the Xenomorphs, but from now on we're dealing with this other untold story about the Space Jockey species that will take us into a whole new direction.

They could have done this and made a much more clear distinction between the two series that are set in the same universe instead of constantly having to keep up with peoples expectations of "how does this fit into what we know about the Xenomorphs?"


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.