Knights of the Force "Saga"
Hi folks, new here. Let me start in by saying that I'm a huge fan of all of you who put in so much work to create extra content for games. I'm certainly not trying to offend anyone here, but the lack of reliable info on this mod (which came up 4th in a "Star Wars Jedi Knight 3" google search) got me interested.
So I was browsing for some boredom relief today, and ran across this little drama-laden gem. Before you all start in on me, no, I have not DL'd the mod as yet, no, I am not in any way affiliated with anyone involved past or present, and yes, I have done my best to research what all happened before asking what a few of you will probably see as stupid (or at the least insensitive) questions.
To sum up what I've read so far:
- Project leader accepted a lot of help in creating the mod initially
- Project leader accepted donations that may not have exactly been used on the up-and-up
- Project leader included content without express permission from some of the creators
- Project leader eventually released mod for sale
- Initially released product was suspected of actively containing viruses (disputed in a lot of cases), or at best, opening doors to malware.
- Mod community shuns and refuses to host/support (understandably)
- Project leader has become very active again, releasing the JK3 mod, and "soon", v3.0
- Project is free to acquire
- Project website and message board are alive and kicking
- Others are involved, helping translate the mod into 6 other languages
- Project is rumored to give credit where due
- No recent rumors of viruses or malware
- Mod community refuses to talk about it, except to regurgitate old sentiments.
It's pretty obvious that the modder in question is almost universally regarded as a dick, and certainly behaved as such a few years ago. What's weird to me is that I can't seem to find any info from people who allegedly had their stuff taken, either past or present, just a lot of second hand non-specific comments. Rumors abound that "Tim" joined the military for a few years, hence his dropping off the map. I know that most people grow quite a bit over the span of 4-5 years, and I'm curious as to whether any olive branch overtures have been extended/refused by any that were really involved. Obviously the major complaint from days of yore (that the entire thing was a scam and would never release) has proven to be false, and the project leader now seems to truly care about the mod. So on to a few questions:
1) Can anyone confirm for sure that there is still "unauthorized" content included?
2) Does anyone know of any parties not (currently) credited for thier work?
2a) If so, have they contacted the project leader in the last few years?
3) Has anyone objectively confirmed that the mod is safe (or unsafe)?
4) Can anyone say that it does not (after all said and done) meet the intent of the people who contributed?
5) Has anyone asked honest polite questions on the kotf website and been banned/ had posts deleted?
I'm not looking for anyone's permission or blessings to play this mod. Personally I AM waffling on whether it meets my own moral smell test, but that's not the point of this, and it's my business. But for those of you burying your heads in the sand, the truth is that the mod does seem to exist, and there are more than a few JK fans who are enjoying it, and I'm sure at least some of them are hoping for a little more than radio silence.
PS - Yes. I'm 30 yrs old, and I apparently just spent at least 2 hours reading and writing about a mod for a 10 yr old game. Of all the games I looked at today and said "meh", TALKING about this one captured my attention. Lucasarts, get off your butts and make another JK game! (Disney, feel free to step in here so I can give you my money).
I have tried the Mod and it works (no viruses). I don't know what I think about the "moral issues", I've made models and released them and personally I don't care if someone does whatever they want with them, even take credit. I made those for my enjoyment, and then released them for others to use. So I don't get why people get offended by someone using their stuff. But that's just me.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.