LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Ahto Spaceport Cantina (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=325)
-   -   Daft Punk fans? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=212137)

urluckyday 04-14-2013 07:23 PM

Daft Punk fans?
 
Anyone on LF a huge Daft Punk fan like me?

A little over a month until the new album drops!

View page
YouTube Video

stingerhs 04-16-2013 05:58 PM

i wouldn't call myself a huge Daft Punk fan, but i've definitely been wanting to see some new stuff from them for a while now (the Tron: Legacy soundtrack only partially counts in my book). been getting my electro fix from Deadmau5 and assorted dubstep, but i could really use a shot of their creativity.

adamqd 04-16-2013 06:39 PM

Big fan here, although I'd say my peak "fandom" was around 1997- 2002, not because they began to suck or anything, just that those were the years I was Clubbing and being mainstream, like going to shows, DJ sets and clubs across Europe. after that I went back to my classic Rock roots and less of a party lifestyle. But yes, I will definitely be getting this album, and the sneak peak track is sweet.

urluckyday 04-16-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stingerhs (Post 2831044)
i wouldn't call myself a huge Daft Punk fan, but i've definitely been wanting to see some new stuff from them for a while now (the Tron: Legacy soundtrack only partially counts in my book). been getting my electro fix from Deadmau5 and assorted dubstep, but i could really use a shot of their creativity.

I think the reason why I love Daft Punk so much is because they really fill sort of a niche that they created. Like there's just no way to put a finger on their type of music. Where as Deadmau5 and others fit into dubstep, Daft Punk just kind of has a genre on its own.

urluckyday 04-16-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamqd (Post 2831048)
Big fan here, although I'd say my peak "fandom" was around 1997- 2002, not because they began to suck or anything, just that those were the years I was Clubbing and being mainstream, like going to shows, DJ sets and clubs across Europe. after that I went back to my classic Rock roots and less of a party lifestyle. But yes, I will definitely be getting this album, and the sneak peak track is sweet.

Disco is back, baby!

Taak Farst 04-17-2013 05:25 PM

Man, gotta love Daft Punk. Aerodynamics is great

urluckyday 04-17-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taak Farst (Post 2831108)
Man, gotta love Daft Punk. Aerodynamics is great

That's what I love to hear!

So glad that there are some other fans on these forums!

urluckyday 04-18-2013 12:02 AM

Could this be the first actual leak of the full song? Pretty incredible fake if it's not...

http://news.beatport.com/blog/2013/0...dgers-in-full/

Ctrl Alt Del 04-18-2013 04:34 AM

Yep, huge fan here as well. Been expecting this new album for months. Only Daft Punk fills the interwebs with dozens of remixes and extended versions of a 15 seconds long song.

urluckyday 04-18-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del (Post 2831141)
Yep, huge fan here as well. Been expecting this new album for months. Only Daft Punk fills the interwebs with dozens of remixes and extended versions of a 15 seconds long song.

Right? Pretty incredible group of fans!

urluckyday 04-18-2013 11:41 PM

Get ready - the OFFICIAL "Get Lucky" single is going to be released at 12:01 am (ET)! A little over 20 minutes from now!

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/170...-release.jhtml

Taak Farst 04-20-2013 07:06 PM

I kinda like Get Lucky, but it's definitely not one of the best tracks

EDIT: Well, lemme add to that. It's amazing. Definitely gets better with each listen. God I can't help but uncontrollably sing along.

urluckyday 04-20-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taak Farst (Post 2831276)
I kinda like Get Lucky, but it's definitely not one of the best tracks

EDIT: Well, lemme add to that. It's amazing. Definitely gets better with each listen. God I can't help but uncontrollably sing along.

It's definitely different. This isn't Daft Punk's first inclusion of a noticeable amount of lyrics into their music but after the mechanical nature of the "Human After All" album (which I still enjoyed), this is a welcome return. Daft Punk's style just changes so drastically with EVERY album they come out with and that's one of the biggest reasons why I love them - but no matter what, they always make it so funky!

Based on this song alone, I think we're looking at an album jam-packed with funky grooves which are reminiscent of the disco era - something that I'm definitely looking forward to.

Also keep in mind that this is specifically termed the "radio edit" of Get Lucky. I saw somewhere that the full album version is over 6 minutes long which would leave me to believe that there are more guitar riffs and you hear some more from the "robots."

Sith Holocron 04-23-2013 07:32 AM

I hope they'll be doing the score for the next Tron movie too when it eventually comes out.

Pho3nix 04-23-2013 03:31 PM

While I don't consider myself a fan, I really enjoyed the Tron soundtrack... I'll definitely put the new album on my "to-listen" list.

urluckyday 04-24-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith Holocron (Post 2831400)
I hope they'll be doing the score for the next Tron movie too when it eventually comes out.

I have to imagine that they'd be asked. With Daft Punk's record of not wanting to create the same sound over multiple albums, it's unclear as to whether or not they would want to do another Tron soundtrack.

Vindikorr 04-27-2013 10:43 AM

Just by chance I heard someone playing them at work and, yes, I am now a fan.

urluckyday 04-27-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vindikorr (Post 2831561)
Just by chance I heard someone playing them at work and, yes, I am now a fan.

Welcome to the greatest club in the world!

Isaac Clarke 05-15-2013 10:02 AM

Oh man, I remember Daft Punk. I used to be a huge fan, but I totally forgot about them after they failed to release a new album after 8 years. Definitely excited for this new album, though.

adamqd 05-15-2013 04:09 PM

This was the track that got me in to daft punk, I picked it up by accident on Vinyl for a DJ set back in like 1996 I think... Classic

View page
YouTube Video

Isaac Clarke 05-15-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamqd (Post 2832490)
This was the track that got me in to daft punk, I picked it up by accident on Vinyl for a DJ set back in like 1996 I think... Classic

View page
YouTube Video

Couldn't have been 1996, since the album was released in 1997. Doesn't really matter though, the song is great :D

Taak Farst 05-15-2013 08:28 PM

I wasn't even a year old when that album was released.

But oh my god I have done nothing but listen to Random Access Memories over and over. What a brilliant return!

urluckyday 05-16-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taak Farst (Post 2832501)
I wasn't even a year old when that album was released.

But oh my god I have done nothing but listen to Random Access Memories over and over. What a brilliant return!

Agreed! It's oh so fresh and different - exactly what the people need right now. I was so surprised to see that you could stream the entire album from iTunes ahead of the release date, but it's absolutely great. It's also nice because it kinda forces you to listen to the album all at once which is the way that you're supposed to listen to it, so you get the full experience.

adamqd 05-16-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Vada (Post 2832496)
Couldn't have been 1996, since the album was released in 1997. Doesn't really matter though, the song is great :D

We're talking white label promos here :) most of the singles from that album were released as early as 95'

urluckyday 05-16-2013 11:55 PM

There's just something so refreshing about everything Daft Punk puts out. Revolution 909 was the first song I heard from Daft Punk that wasn't on the Discovery album. That's when I knew that I LOVED Daft Punk and not just an album they did. Such a classic.

Isaac Clarke 05-18-2013 01:59 PM

Now that I've listened to a couple of tracks on the new album, I've noticed that with Random Access Memories, Daft Punk strayed from their usual French House signature style and have incorporated a bit more pop elements. I noticed this in their other albums, too. It's been a bit of a slow transition, starting with the vocals in One More Time and Digital Love, then those in Human After All like Technologic, and now almost all of the tracks in RAM have vocals. I'm not sure what I feel about this. Honestly, Homework was their best album.


Now that I think about it, this transition reminds me of Pendulum's, from Hold Your Colour to In Silico.

Vindikorr 05-20-2013 04:26 PM

So Random Access Memories came out today. It's the first time I've heard it since I refuse to install iTunes on my PC. Anyway, apart from the odd few songs I really like it. What are peoples thoughts? Especially people who have been long time fans, because as you'll know if you look above, I've only just really found out about them.

urluckyday 05-21-2013 01:46 AM

This is what happens when an artist gets "tired" of making the same type of music over and over again. Daft Punk evolves with every single album they release. There is honestly no way to put your finger on what their "style" is...and that's why they're so great.

As a long-time Daft Punk fan, I can say with 100% honesty that this album was an absolutely euphoric experience for me. Daft Punk has always been about what is fresh and different - heck, not even One More Time was a runaway hit when it first came out. Just like the opening song suggests, there's just no life in music anymore. Life is about taking risks - and making music that is filled with this energy and passion is about taking risks as well. Sure, they may have alienated fans who fell in love with "One More Time" and the Discovery album as a whole, but there are plenty of other artists to fill your EDM void if that's all you're looking for - a rehash.

This album literally has EVERYTHING. Sounds from every phase of Daft Punk's lineage. On top of that, you'd be hard-pressed to find an album with better production quality - it sounds so incredibly polished.

Do yourself a favor...listen to this album as a whole - let it sink in - then listen to it again. Then form your opinions of it. I thank God that I am alive to hear such wonderful music. What an achievement.

I cannot recommend Random Access Memories highly enough. Your ears will love you for it.

Vindikorr 05-21-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urluckyday (Post 2832767)
This is what happens when an artist gets "tired" of making the same type of music over and over again. Daft Punk evolves with every single album they release. There is honestly no way to put your finger on what their "style" is...and that's why they're so great.

As a long-time Daft Punk fan, I can say with 100% honesty that this album was an absolutely euphoric experience for me. Daft Punk has always been about what is fresh and different - heck, not even One More Time was a runaway hit when it first came out. Just like the opening song suggests, there's just no life in music anymore. Life is about taking risks - and making music that is filled with this energy and passion is about taking risks as well. Sure, they may have alienated fans who fell in love with "One More Time" and the Discovery album as a whole, but there are plenty of other artists to fill your EDM void if that's all you're looking for - a rehash.

This album literally has EVERYTHING. Sounds from every phase of Daft Punk's lineage. On top of that, you'd be hard-pressed to find an album with better production quality - it sounds so incredibly polished.

Do yourself a favor...listen to this album as a whole - let it sink in - then listen to it again. Then form your opinions of it. I thank God that I am alive to hear such wonderful music. What an achievement.

I cannot recommend Random Access Memories highly enough. Your ears will love you for it.

Very enlightening. I will go through and listen to each track again and really hone down on each track. I agree I think that what entices me so much about Daft Punk is their very different style to anything I've listened to before. If you listen to Giorgio by Moroder at about 1:10 he talks about how he wanted to create an album spanning every era, and add new elements also.

It's about time more artists experimented with music in this way, so many new releases are so similar in both style and message they become so monotonous it makes me sad for the future of music.

Taak Farst 05-21-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urluckyday (Post 2832767)
This is what happens when an artist gets "tired" of making the same type of music over and over again. Daft Punk evolves with every single album they release. There is honestly no way to put your finger on what their "style" is...and that's why they're so great.

As a long-time Daft Punk fan, I can say with 100% honesty that this album was an absolutely euphoric experience for me. Daft Punk has always been about what is fresh and different - heck, not even One More Time was a runaway hit when it first came out. Just like the opening song suggests, there's just no life in music anymore. Life is about taking risks - and making music that is filled with this energy and passion is about taking risks as well. Sure, they may have alienated fans who fell in love with "One More Time" and the Discovery album as a whole, but there are plenty of other artists to fill your EDM void if that's all you're looking for - a rehash.

This album literally has EVERYTHING. Sounds from every phase of Daft Punk's lineage. On top of that, you'd be hard-pressed to find an album with better production quality - it sounds so incredibly polished.

Do yourself a favor...listen to this album as a whole - let it sink in - then listen to it again. Then form your opinions of it. I thank God that I am alive to hear such wonderful music. What an achievement.

I cannot recommend Random Access Memories highly enough. Your ears will love you for it.

God I love your energy and vibe :L

I waited until midnight when it was activated on iTunes to get that bad boy on my iPhone...Needed it!!

urluckyday 05-21-2013 09:56 PM

^Cheers! I picked up the Vinyl and CD versions. Once I get my own place, I'll be blastin' that baby on the turntable!

jawathehutt 05-22-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vindikorr (Post 2832747)
So Random Access Memories came out today. It's the first time I've heard it since I refuse to install iTunes on my PC. Anyway, apart from the odd few songs I really like it. What are peoples thoughts? Especially people who have been long time fans, because as you'll know if you look above, I've only just really found out about them.

Its no discovery, but I do agree that there is a lot of good and not that much meh in it.

Rtas Vadum 05-22-2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith Holocron (Post 2831400)
I hope they'll be doing the score for the next Tron movie too when it eventually comes out.

As do I, with my late reply. I'll probably buy the movie and soundtrack a lot sooner this time.

Anyway, I have listened to them for a while, although save for the Legacy soundtrack, I don't have any of their albums. Perhaps a song or two from Itunes, but I might consider getting RAM.

urluckyday 05-27-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtas Vadum (Post 2832836)
As do I, with my late reply. I'll probably buy the movie and soundtrack a lot sooner this time.

Anyway, I have listened to them for a while, although save for the Legacy soundtrack, I don't have any of their albums. Perhaps a song or two from Itunes, but I might consider getting RAM.

Listen to it on Spotify or YouTube or whatever. Listen to the whole album a couple of times all at once, and then you'll best be able to decide if you enjoy it!

Apoc Nizmith 06-19-2013 11:36 AM

LOL not a huge Stynthpop guys, but they have a few good tunes. More into aggrotech, Grendel, CTRL-ALT-DEUCE, and Detroit Diesel but eh still a good band.

HED 07-29-2013 11:57 PM

View page
YouTube Video

I think this was my favorite track from RAM.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.