LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Jedi Outcast (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   "Duel of the Fates" in SP (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=38983)

theedman 04-04-2002 06:57 AM

"Duel of the Fates" in SP

I am wondering if anyone has been able to modify the music in the SP battle against Desann. I found a few posts for adding "Duel" to MP games but have not found a way to replace the file (music\yavin_final\yavfinal_boss.mp3) in the .pk3 extension in the base folder. Any suggestions? I've finished the game with the current scripted music but would enjoy to have "Duel"'s chorus singing while wailing on Desann's @$$!

:lsduel:

IMF-Arel- 04-04-2002 05:01 PM

Just use the "music" command in console.

I've create a folder with about 15-20 star wars songs that I took from the original movie soundtrack CD's and put then all into a folder. So I can basically pull up any song I want when I want. And this without changing the original settings in the game.

Here's how.

Put all the .mp3 files you want in a folder that we will name "test" for now.

Then Zip this folder named "test" using winzip.

Rename the "test.zip" file to "test.pk3"

place the "test.pk3" file into you game directory. ex: Jedi Knight II\GameData\base

Then anywhere you want in the game. you can start playing anyone of your songs by typing this in the console: music test/duel.mp3

(note: I'm not sure if cheats need to be enabled for this to work. If so...just type "devmapall" to enable cheats)

theedman 04-04-2002 07:35 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll give it a try today.

Hiteche5 04-04-2002 08:42 PM

BTW..that mod doe'snt play Duel of the Fates. That is another song off the soundtrack. Duel of the Fates has the London Symphony Choir singing...maybe I didn't let it play long enough but it doesn't sound like Duel of the Fates.

A'Gaeris 04-04-2002 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by IMF-Arel-
Just use the "music" command in console.

I've create a folder with about 15-20 star wars songs that I took from the original movie soundtrack CD's and put then all into a folder. So I can basically pull up any song I want when I want. And this without changing the original settings in the game.

Here's how.

Put all the .mp3 files you want in a folder that we will name "test" for now.

Then Zip this folder named "test" using winzip.

Rename the "test.zip" file to "test.pk3"

place the "test.pk3" file into you game directory. ex: Jedi Knight II\GameData\base

Then anywhere you want in the game. you can start playing anyone of your songs by typing this in the console: music test/duel.mp3

(note: I'm not sure if cheats need to be enabled for this to work. If so...just type "devmapall" to enable cheats)

And what happens when the computer continues to recognize the test file as a zip file, only it's named test.pk3 ? This is what's happening to all my stuff, and it's getting annoying.

IMF-Arel- 04-05-2002 05:57 AM

Quote:

And what happens when the computer continues to recognize the test file as a zip file, only it's named test.pk3 ? This is what's happening to all my stuff, and it's getting annoying.
A'Gaeris,

I'm not sure what it is you mean.

If you change the extension of the zip file (for example "test.zip" to "test.pk3") your computer shouldn't recognize that new file as a zip file. Although a .pk3 is just a zip with a renamed extension.(as I understand it)

Make sure that you are actually changing the extension and not just renaming. (for example you could rename it to "test.pk3" but if you are just renaming it will probably become "test.pk3.zip". Which in that case it is still a .zip file)

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "This is what's happening to all my stuff, and it's getting annoying."

Making a pk3 file won't change "all my stuff" as you say on any computer.

Give me more info and I might be able to help. :)

I want a JO Mod to fight these guys: :lsduel:

Wes Janson SMR 04-06-2002 02:23 AM

Music trick doesn't work..

Emon 04-06-2002 02:33 AM

WHY would you want Duel of the Fates over the original SW score that plays during the Desann battle? That eerie sithy music (same as Luke vs Vader in RotJ) is the best dueling music EVER!

Anyway the console command for music should work...did your put a / in front of it?

Wes Janson SMR 04-06-2002 02:42 AM

It doesn't recognize the command with the "/" in front of it.

I followed the dude's instructions precisely. I put the default Multi-Player duel music in its own "test.pk3" file. During the game, I load up the console and type the following:

music test/duel.mp3

It says that it can't find duel.mp3 as a track or loop file, or something like that.

I don't doubt that it works. I'm probably doign something wrong. But I just can't get it to work.

Bar_Tender 04-06-2002 02:51 AM

try zipping them as part of a folder called "music", maybe?

Kalishnikov 04-06-2002 02:55 AM

If you don't have any directory structure within the pk3 file, you don't need to do 'music test/duel.mp3' just 'music duel.mp3'. It would be best to give the mp3s unique names to make sure it plays the mp3 you want.

Wes Janson SMR 04-06-2002 03:44 AM

Still can't get it to work...

Does the Pk3 file need to have a particular name?

Wes Janson SMR 04-06-2002 06:58 AM

*bump*

I'd love to get this working. What could I be doing wrong?

IMF-Arel- 04-06-2002 07:14 AM

it should work...I use it all the time.

Here's an example.

Let's say I have 4 .mp3's I want access to:

duel.mp3
barge.mp3
march.mp3
rebel.mp3

I put the 4 mp3 files into a folder called "mysongs"

Then using winzip I compressed that folder. (not the songs but the actual folder with the songs in it)

lets say I call this zip file "test"

now I have a file named test.zip

Rename the extension to pk3

now I have a file named "test.pk3"

Put this "test.pk3" file into your "\Jedi Knight II\GameData\base" folder.

thats all you need to do.
----------------------------------

Then in the game...bring down the console and use the music command. For my specific example the command line would be:

"music mysongs/duel"

or
"music mysongs/barge"

and so on.

hope this help
works for me and alot of other people...so it should work for you also.

S!TH!NAT0R 04-06-2002 07:58 AM

Ok, I could'nt get it to work either. So basically, the mp3(s) have to be in a folder instead of just zipping the raw file then rename the zip as pk3 right?:confused:

L3onheart 04-06-2002 08:03 AM

Why don't you peeps just replace the music files in the original pk3 file? That's what I've done! And it works perfectly.

For example, I've changed the MP menu music with Duel of the Fates. It's sooooo simple!

S!TH!NAT0R 04-06-2002 08:04 AM

Ummmmm.....good point! DOH!:p :eek:

Moleculor 04-06-2002 08:22 AM

Because then you can't play on Pure Server's online. Of which most are.

Aaron Halcyon 04-06-2002 08:46 AM

I myself was having trouble with putting the compressed file in and getting it to work but the truth is you do not have to zip it just put the folder I will say music in the gamedata\base folder and put the mp3's there and the code music music/"song".mp3 works fine

S!TH!NAT0R 04-06-2002 08:52 AM

Ok, you mangs that insist this works are not mentioning something. I have tried all of the methods posted here and nothing seems to work:(
-I keep getting this....Unable to find music "dueloffates.mp3" as explicit track or dynamic music entry! WTF!?:confused:

Wes Janson SMR 04-06-2002 07:16 PM

Yup. I get the same problem... Why can't we play music??

Wes Janson SMR 04-07-2002 03:42 AM

bump

n0th1ng 04-07-2002 03:49 AM

bump, i've also spent several hours trying to figure out how to play custoum music in MP but no luck so far

PappySmurf 04-07-2002 03:50 AM

This is what I do.
I open my WinAmp, Only put the music I want to play
Go into MP, on sound...Turn off Music...
Hit Play Mp3 on ym Keyboard...Instant Music during Play

Of course, I also Have Forward, Reverse, Stop, Pause, Volume Up and Down on my Board..but I guess Im lucky

IMF-Arel- 04-07-2002 05:23 AM

Well there isn't much more I can say.
I'm doing it the exact way I explained.
It works great for me.

I actually have my different songs binded to keys now. Which is lots of fun.
My favorite is to pull out the song played in return of the jedi when luke is being push onto a plank...and leaps up and over to start sabering people...I love turning that track on when I start slicing and dicing..hehe :)

BTW...I believe the files MUST be zipped then that .zip renamed to a pk3 file. I've tried just putting mp3 files and calling them up...and it never worked. The way I've explained above is working just great for me.

If its not working for u...perhaps you are missing a little detail of some sort.

dethduck 04-07-2002 05:32 AM

Make sure that you are actually changing the file extension from *.zip to *.pk3... If Windows is NOT set to show file extension (I.E. somewhere in the settings, folders selection from the start menu there is an option to "Hide known file extensions" which must be UNclicked) it will just rename the file "file.pk3.zip" but only show you "file.pk3" because the *.zip part is a known file extension therefore hidden. That might explain why it's not finding the files.

Hope that helps.

dethduck 04-07-2002 05:33 AM

Did that even make any sense? God I need to get to bed.

IMF-Arel- 04-07-2002 05:47 AM

:yoda: "Yes..Yes...To dethduck you listen" :yoda:

Be sure that you are actually renaming the file extension and not just renaming the file.

dethduck 04-07-2002 05:51 AM

Yeah, s'what I meant. night.

Zaroff 04-08-2002 02:54 AM

Bump!

I get what you guys are saying but I can't the place where you rename the extension.

Darth Obvious 04-08-2002 03:04 AM

You dont need to make it a PK3 file...

Simple Way :

1) Goto wherever you installed the game, go into the Game Data FOLDER, then to the BASE FOLDER

ex . Game Data\Base

2) Create a new folder here, for the sake of user-friendliness call it "Songs"

ex . Right Click open area, New Folder then Name it Songs

3) transfer ANY MP3 to that folder you may want to access during the game. FYI, it is much easier to rename your songs to Single word Names

ex . Rename Duel of the Fates to simply "Duel" (no quotes)

4) during the game you can access the console (Shift + ~ key)
at which point you would type (if you named your folder SONGS)

music songs/duel

This should begin to play Duel of the Fates in the game. MAKE SURE THE MP3's are 44kps in Winamp before trying them in the game, if they arent JK will give you a red error message stating the file is not 441000kps and it wont play

So Simply :

Create a Folder in Game Data\base called "Songs"

Transfer any desired MP3 to that folder, rename to simple easy to remember name ("Duel" instead of "Duel of the Fates")

Bring up console in game, type "music songs/duel" (or whatever song you like)

PS like stated MANY times above you can bind any key to run any song i.e.

bind "l" music songs/duel

Enjoy

weegie246 04-08-2002 03:19 AM

I think it will differ depending on what windows you have but...

To be able to see a file's extension (what type of file it is) open up a folder, go to tools > folder options and then click the tab View.

Under Advanced Settings there is a checkbox 'Hide extensions for known file types'.

Uncheck this if it is checked and then click ok.

This will show the extensions for all files. (wav files will become name.wav and zips will become name.zip, for example)

To turn it off go back to that same option but instead check it on.

I hope this helps those that didn't know.

Btw this is how it's done in WinXP so it might differ with different windows versions.

IMF-Arel- 04-08-2002 03:41 AM

Quote:

You dont need to make it a PK3 file...
The way you are describing never worked for me :(
Thats the first thing I tried. Strange.

Also I imagine you mean 44Khz when you said bps

Can you really get this to work like that Darth Obvious?
With other songs than the duel song I mean. (because if you downloaded it from the file available on the website...then it was already pk3 and that could be why that one works)

Zaroff 04-08-2002 04:02 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Darth, I tried to do it your way and it ejected me from the game. So I must have been doing something wrong. Oh well.

Weegie246, your way worked. I was able to change my winzip files into .pk3s and the songs played during the game.

weegie246 04-08-2002 04:04 AM

I'm glad I was able to help! :D

Razage 04-08-2002 10:18 AM

I HATE to unearth an old thread but it's the only thing I can think of to get an answer to this problem without adding a NEW thread which will add to the clutter. I have tried it BOTH ways and it keeps telling me that it can't find the file. YET, it works on the main screen. That's right. In the actual GAME it dosn't work. On the IN GAME BROWSER it DOES. wtf??

IMF-Arel- 04-08-2002 01:35 PM

Quote:

...I have tried it BOTH ways and it keeps telling me that it can't find the file. YET, it works on the main screen. That's right. In the actual GAME it dosn't work. On the IN GAME BROWSER it DOES. wtf??
If you are referring to the duel music that was made available to download in a pk3 file...then yes...I think it was meant to be played in the MP menu. So thatís why you are getting it there. If you have that installed...and can't call up the song at will...then you are typing in your command wrong or something.

If itís the file I think it is...this it what you need to type in console to call up the duel song in any game at any time:

music music/mp/duel

Give that a try...It will work if itís the file I think it is.

Patrickj64_ak 04-08-2002 02:15 PM

ok,,, i got it to work but not the way that i thought it would.
heres how..
i made a folder and named it mysongs
put the music in it.
i got this program call pakskape....you can down load it
dragged the mysongs folder into pakskape and saved it as test.pk3 file.

put that into my outcast base folder....
and all i have to do is type into the console this
music mysongs/NameOfTheSongHere
and it works
thanx for the info guys
and you can download pakskape at
http://planetquake.com/bubba/files.html

Darth Obvious 04-09-2002 08:47 PM

IMF, I got it to work rather easily. It works great now that I have 6 or 7 songs bound to different keys... Fun to change the song to up the adrenalin level.

Not sure why its not working for some folks, I will try to record it in working order tonight with my digicam (30 second MOV file) showing it in action.

[Dom_Pmd] 04-09-2002 09:35 PM

Works like a charm! Thx for the info.

Damn, now I gotta burn some tracks off my SW scores.

;)