LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Jedi Outcast (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   "Dont kill if saber is off" (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=50237)

DrazMan 05-04-2002 04:44 AM

"Dont kill if saber is off"

Oh man do i have real problems with these people. First let me say I am all dueling. I love it. Anyone I know for a fact is a dueler and his saber is off because hes lookin for a duel i will leave alone. But you have real morons who ruin that.

A: People who will FFA and just hack and slash away at anything that moves, then when they get hit a few times they turn their saber off and run to find health.

B: They leave their saber off on maps like streets and you run by them, but they grip you and toss you off.

Then when a legitimate dueler comes to the server and i go ahead and dice him up even though his saber is off he gets angry. Understandable. But I explain to him that I'm not lettin people run around like that anymore because of the morons who take advantage of it. Of course newbie, oh excuse me, "n00b" was the word of choice for this guy. But if you haven't played long enough to notice the people who do the above I'm not the newbie.

So this is just to point out just because your saber is off doesn't mean you are safe. At least not around me, and i know many others.

Flakdampler 05-04-2002 04:58 AM

puh.

Homosexual Ewok 05-04-2002 04:59 AM

In FFA I will run you over with a Buick if I can get my hands on one...
When I want to duel I use the "Game Type" filter in the in-game browser...weird how not too many people have figured that out yet.

Hateplow 05-04-2002 06:43 AM

I know what your talking about but you really bring it on your self most of time. Ill be running around with my sabre on and ill run across a person with their sabre off. I turn mine off, do the bow, and draw. And you know what 90% of these people do? Just stand there looking stupid for 5 minutes. Sorry, but bowing compleats the act, and if your retarded enough to stand there and let this person charge you, sorry you deserve to be sent screaing back to your respawn.

HertogJan 05-04-2002 07:31 AM

Yeah I don't kill people with saber off in duels, but I do in FFA.

Example 1)
On FFA/CTF, I see someone standing still with saber of on a bridge. I walk towards him, look at him, wait a sec and then slice him. Because for me, when somebody doesn't react when you're near them, they're AFK -> slice them!

Example 2)
On FFA on a map, lets say: Bespin. I'm near the platform and see several people duelling, and people with saber off next to them. I retract my saber and join them! I like duelling you know.

Example 3)
On a duel server, someone retracts his saber (in the beginning or at a pause). I retract mine too and wait. I DONT attack.

Example 4)
On a duel server, we both put our sabers off. We walk towards each other, I bow (yeah yeah, I nod, I dont crouch) and he does the DFA on me! Next round, I'll strike him dow, drain him etc.

Well that should show my thoughts on the subject...

GeoTek-<ZeN> 05-04-2002 07:35 AM

you DO NOT need to show that you want to saber fight by turning off light saber.......thats why they added saber challege!

DarkSaber-<ZeN> 05-04-2002 07:35 AM

If Saber is off, i'll look at you, for a split second laugh while i slash at you, and then when your complaining "MY SABER WAS OFF!" i'll be saying "It's Free For All, Spectate if you want to watch." and then it will engage into a big fight. and i'll rack up kills and be called a n00b. Well, guess what, thats life for ya. The Average Complainer.

Complaining in the wrong way, is a sin. Atleast to me.

Vestril 05-04-2002 07:53 AM

I only really Duel, sometimes I hit FFA, when I need to switch it up.

Anyway, in duels if they are standing still with their sabers off I respect that and don't attack. If they are walking towards me with their sabers off I attack them.

This is because I got tired of people who left their sabers off, walked up to me and slashed me rather unprdictably because I felt it was 'rude' too attack. If you're too stupid to keep your saber on AS YOU FIGHT, you deserve to get cut down.

D'akt Sangwar 05-04-2002 08:33 AM

one time
this guy was hacking ppl and sum1 sed
hey u have no honour follow the code
he sed:
i follow no stupid codes
so i slashed him when he had saber off and he went crazy
saying that i shudt hit him with saber off
kinda dumb isnt he

Zante 05-04-2002 09:06 AM

/sigh

I'll say it again though I shouldn't have to, this thread has been restarted many times.

Turning of your saber in an FFA game is pure idiocy. It's a war you fool.

Darth Skyw@lker 05-04-2002 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Homosexual Ewok
In FFA I will run you over with a Buick if I can get my hands on one...
When I want to duel I use the "Game Type" filter in the in-game browser...weird how not too many people have figured that out yet.

Hey genius! Duel in FFA are completly different than the Duel modes!
you have to wait 324234 min to fight in duel modes, in ffa you just go near someone and ask him to duel with NO FORCE ( in duel mode there is force and its ****ty ) so stfu

DarkSaber-<ZeN> 05-04-2002 01:38 PM

If they have their lightsaber off their dumb tahts all it is, kill 'em i say!

Nill the Mean 05-04-2002 01:43 PM

Yeah, but running after someone who is clearly not trying to fight is a bit off too. If I see someone running away from a fight he was just in, that's a different story. I hate dem cowards! You want to get that health pack? You can be sure I'll try to stop you!

avenger_au 05-04-2002 01:45 PM

simple procedures:

run up to someone..

if

opponent lightsabre on:
* Attack

opponent lightsabre off:
* Jump on opponents head
* Wait for reaction
* Jump some more
* Wait for reaction
* Run away and find someone more animated than a plank of wood.

opponent facing the corner:
* Wait for opponent to finish taking a whiz

*Darth Vega* 05-04-2002 01:57 PM

What do I do when somebody turns off their saber? I kill them.

I think Darth Vader put it best:

"You are unwise to lower your defenses!"

DARTH_VADER2002 05-04-2002 01:59 PM

lol:rolleyes:

Vulkan 05-04-2002 02:06 PM

I don't mind when someone does it in a regular FFA server, I'll just hunt the guy down and return the favor next time. What I really don't like is when someone does it when the server name explicitly notes it as a rule.

You take a while looking for servers that enforce the rule, only to find people still do it anyway. Meh! I say.

HappyPrancer 05-04-2002 02:35 PM

in a FFA what matters is kills divided minutes. People who waste their time dualing don't deserve not to be thrown over some edge. It doesn't even make sense to have your saber out. It's such a slow, clumsy way to kill someone compared to pushing them over the edge.

Really, one should look for easy kills like people typing, or trying to dual someone. They tend to fight back less.

So, to sum things up, if you want to dual, make sure no one is around who will blast you, and don't get upset if the person you want to dual shoots you with a rocket, because you deserve it for trying to dual with people in FFA.

-HP

Master Rooster 05-04-2002 02:44 PM

I don't like it when people turn off sabre just to run away in ffa, but some things can be downright annoying.

If you want to challenge in ffa, you have to turn the sabre off, so if you go up and try to challenge somebody some plebs just lop you in half. That is irritating.

I sort of agree about ffa though - although some servers have a ffa duel system which is cool unless some monkey runs in and starts invading other people's duels.

*Darth Vega* 05-04-2002 02:45 PM

yeah, since when does somebody from the dark side have to fight with honor?:mad:

Laertes 05-04-2002 02:55 PM

The only time I get pissed off is when me and the other dueller are in an area just us, and then some fool comes running in, sees our sabers are down because we are waiting, and then -- Wham

Other than that, it is basically up to the person playing. Most people on servers i've been on are KW fools who just want their name in 1st place. That is also why I retired from force servers because every single Dark Side user uses drain and then choke off the edge. Summed as this: There are many different players who do whatever they do. You can't change them, so just avoid 'em. If anyone hits me while my saber is down, they usually die my next respawn.

TegSkywalker 05-04-2002 02:55 PM

I agree with the whole "if the saber is off, do not attack!" way of playing. Especially in Duel servers.

The nice thing is that most people who play in Duel know the rules and leave their saber unignited and bow before a match. Then there's the type of players who don't care and try to do the Strong stance at you when you are trying to bow.

One more reason why it is nicer to play on the Zone than the handful of n00bs who play on public servers :)

DarkSaber-<ZeN> 05-04-2002 02:59 PM

http://dark-saber.com/heyyouthere%204.gif

Laertes 05-04-2002 03:13 PM

?

flippo 05-04-2002 03:23 PM

all i say to these people is you are unwise to LOWER YOUR DEFENSES

Vestril 05-04-2002 04:12 PM

Quote:

I agree with the whole "if the saber is off, do not attack!" way of playing. Especially in Duel servers.

The nice thing is that most people who play in Duel know the rules and leave their saber unignited and bow before a match. Then there's the type of players who don't care and try to do the Strong stance at you when you are trying to bow.

One more reason why it is nicer to play on the Zone than the handful of n00bs who play on public servers
I used to be that way, but I got tired of people taking advantage of it. If they need to stop the fight to fix something fair enough, but if they turn off their saber just to keep me from attacking while they wait for the best time to attack--well I feel the need to teach them that that is a poor idea.

m64253 05-04-2002 04:19 PM

I think it is better to duel on FFA server because you get just the basic force powers !!

:explode:

GooglyMoogly 05-04-2002 06:38 PM

I run a server that states Saber Off = Peace in the MOTD. Simply put if I see this or if I get two complaints against another player I kick him, no questions asked.

Yes my server is FFA not a DUEL server...Duel servers are lame since you have to wait so long for your turn. In FFA you can challenge someone or even if other people are currently dueling you can taunt them then light your saber and start fighing.

This is the way I like it and this is the way it'll remain. If any of you ganks are on my server and do this (and I happen to be on it), you'll find yourself staring at that beautiful "Server has disconected" screen.

Rogue74 05-04-2002 06:38 PM

In FFA all bets are off. If I see someone who is just standing there with a Bryar pistol (like they just spawned) or with an unignited lightsaber I back away from them.

The other people I love, but don't necessarily mind, is the people who will fight you with a lightsaber until they know they're on the way to the grave and then they try to whip out a flechette launcher or something. It worked the little while when JK:O first came out or if against a newbie, but that's about it.

Homosexual Ewok 05-04-2002 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Darth Skyw@lker

Hey genius! Duel in FFA are completly different than the Duel modes!
you have to wait 324234 min to fight in duel modes, in ffa you just go near someone and ask him to duel with NO FORCE ( in duel mode there is force and its ****ty ) so stfu

You know Corky; you have Force and No Force duel servers...
And as for waiting... Those numbers in your in-game browser that look like "4/6", those represent the # of players in a server. You can (yes, the game will allow you to) choose to go into a server with a smaller amount of players for faster game play. It never ceases to amaze me how you whiney little brats always want everyone and everything to conform to the way you think things should be. "I don't care if it's CTF, I wanna duel so you n00bs have to duel or your gay".
Once again for those who rode the little bus,
Game Type> Duel

EX4R KUN 05-04-2002 06:49 PM

If you have to get kills by attacking someone with no defenses up you are a llama plain and simple. If you feel differently it is not your fault but rather your parents for failing to raise you properly. Expecting those who don't play with this level of integrity to understand and comply with others who do play by an honor system is an act of idiocy.

Do as I do and find a good server with good admins who kick these llama's.

Shiik 05-04-2002 06:54 PM

I forgot where i got this, but on a thread a found someone talking about the same kinda thing. Then on a reply, (or something) this guy said sometimes u can kill guys with their sabers off. Sometimes their "fair game" like, if their running towards u, like their gonna kick u. Wich is why i always walk. Or if something with the corner, either their facing it or something, cause they have a birds eye view and when u get close they'll just turn their saber on and do that cool move in strong stance. Or if they using force.

Shiik 05-04-2002 06:57 PM

Oh, and also, whenever i turn off my saber, its either to do a duel, to watch a duel, or sometimes i walk around like im all superior (its fun, ecspecially when your the ghost morgan guy) and just look at them, pacing back and forth. Also, if i cant do a duel, but theres a guy i want to duel with, ill turn off my saber. Then he will. Then i taunt and bow, turn my saber on real casually, and we start fighting. And only lamers kill people with their saber off. Unless the above said "fair game" stuff i heard.

And with the no force duels, they suck. Ive never played on these actually, but it would suck cause u probably cant throw your saber or jump high. At least FFA duels let u do that.

GB_StormTrooper 05-04-2002 07:00 PM

I turn mine off, but only when Im watching a private duel. And if someone tries to kill me, or does, I just kill them several times back.

Vestril 05-04-2002 07:06 PM

Quote:

Oh, and also, whenever i turn off my saber, its either to do a duel, to watch a duel, or sometimes i walk around like im all superior (its fun, ecspecially when your the ghost morgan guy) and just look at them, pacing back and forth. Also, if i cant do a duel, but theres a guy i want to duel with, ill turn off my saber. Then he will. Then i taunt and bow, turn my saber on real casually, and we start fighting. And only lamers kill people with their saber off. Unless the above said "fair game" stuff i heard.
That is the situation in which I attack someone with their saber off. It doesn't mean 'peace' it means 'I'm better than you'--I like to prove them wrong. So far no one has complained, I assume because they realize that they were being idiots, and believe me they rarely do that again.

When I am fighting I leave my saber on, if I stop fighting I turn it off. This sends a clear message. The people who turn their sabers off midfight just to prove that they are superior deserve to get attacked like that--in fact they're asking for it.

Shiik 05-04-2002 08:01 PM

No no no, i dont turn it off DURING a fight (but hey, that would be a cool idea) its like, in this custom map, bloodriver or something like that, i hoped up onto one of the ledges that surounds the map, and just walked back and forth. While the guys kept trying to come up. RIght when one did, i turned on my saber. It was also once in the deathstar, i think the hangar, that i hoped to a ledge and did that. Its fun to watch them keep trying to get up, or throw their sabers. I just push back the sabers. And one guy kept going almost high enough, but not quite, so i just gripped him, then (is this ther jedi cannon thing? i dont know. If its not, tell me how) i let go of him and pushed him away. He flew far. hehe. :duel: I act kinda like the guy in the black here. (darth vader?)

Euronymous 05-04-2002 08:03 PM

In the words of Darth Vader: "It is unwise to lower your defenses!"

Shiik 05-04-2002 08:03 PM

OH and, how many posts until im not bantha fodder? And how many till Sith?

Ae0N 05-04-2002 08:28 PM

A FFA game is just that... Free for all, which also means no rules, the fight is finnished when either player is dead. Period.

If someone lowers thier lightsaber in front of me, then I pity the fool.

:trooper:

callvin 05-04-2002 08:50 PM

Re:

I'm the head admin at the [LiCk] DO NOT ATTACK IF SABER NOT DRAWN FFA Server - 169.229.8.35

Alot of what you fellas are talking about is an annoying problem. Our server has some pretty simple rules to promote FAIR play..

No two people can fight if either saber is not drawn. Those who's sabers are not out are specifically looking for a duel. Every so often we get a llama that attempts to exploit this rule to save their @ss's. Turning off yer saber mid-fight for no other reason than to not die will get ya kicked.

Our rules have no loopholes. I can't spam every damn rule. If you do ANYTHING lame, I'll let ya know it.

However, revenge killing is not tolerated either. Simply find an admin, or hop on irc for 2 secs, and we'll get the problem fixed, I guarantee it.

My only regret is not being able to have an admin on 24/7. We recently added another admin bringing our running total to somewhere around 10.

Our server has consistantly been praised by the JK2 community for being one of the consistantly BEST FFA Duel servers out there. You'll never find a bettr group of regulars, and some of the best saberists, anywhere!

[LiCk]Sebboh Nivlac